Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Wasn't the Green Goblin in the last Spider-Man movie?

Easy mistake to make

No, no, that was the ever classic Spider-Man villain Meth Mouth.

His evil super power is giving people meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well we also don't know how he comes back/gets resurrected, right...nobody wanted anything for Zod other than dissection
How'd Superman come back from the dead in the comic books? Solar power? Does it just...happen?

It is really stupid, but not like, peak comic book "he is horse that is also a man who is a standup comedian that has sex with a lady space alien"

Basically a bad guy puts him in a tank that regenerates Superman, but siphons off his power to power up the villain.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

UmOk posted:

I'm sure Zod has been killed and resurrected multiple times in comics.
I meant in the movies of course, I don't really know much about the comic side to most of these comic book movies, but I figure a lot of characters die and come back.
I did read enough Garth Ennis, Frank Miller, and Mark Miller to find those dudes completely repellant though

parallelodad posted:

A regeneration matrix, and then a death beam passed through a cloud of kryptonite reversing it's polarity and giving him his powers back.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hmmmmmmm
Am I high right now
Hey that'd be a cool and colorful thing to see on screen though (I think?

Barudak posted:

It is really stupid, but not like, peak comic book "he is horse that is also a man who is a standup comedian that has sex with a lady space alien"

Basically a bad guy puts him in a tank that regenerates Superman, but siphons off his power to power up the villain.
Ohhh. I wonder how Thanos will do it
I mean Darkseid

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 14, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the animated series he didn't bring him back to life, he never actually died, but he did brainwash Superman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barudak posted:

Want to see this Beta Ray Bill movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe... You already have.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well we also don't know how he comes back/gets resurrected, right...nobody wanted anything for Zod other than dissection
How'd Superman come back from the dead in the comic books? Solar power? Does it just...happen?

If I remember right his stored up solar energy kept him in a death-like coma and then his Fortress of Solitude sent a robot to go get him and put him in a healing machine that harnessed solar power. Then it was an evil being with a scheme or something because comics, but basically his house came to life and collected him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

UmOk posted:

I'm sure Zod has been killed and resurrected multiple times in comics.

He comes back in BvS, with a little dose of Luthor's blood!

Re: Anakin; you'd think seperating acting from character would be movie literacy 101. You're going to have a lot of confusing conversations if you blame an actor for being told "you're an arrogant whiny teenager and your elders complain about it instead of providing guidance except the dude who's manipulating you" and successfully portraying an annoying dickbag.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Some day, somewhere, somehow, someone other than Alan Moore will be able to admit that parts of The Killing Joke suck rear end.

He's pretty much disowned the story afaik.

quote:

"I’ve never really liked my story in The Killing Joke. I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it. It was too nasty, it was too physically violent. There were some good things about it, but in terms of my writing, it’s not one of me favorite pieces. If, as I said, god forbid, I was ever writing a character like Batman again, I’d probably be setting it squarely in the kind of “smiley uncle period where Dick Sprang was drawing it, and where you had Ace the Bat-Hound and Bat-Mite, and the zebra Batman—when it was sillier. Because then, it was brimming with imagination and playful ideas. I don’t think that the world needs that many brooding psychopathic avengers. I don’t know that we need any. It was a disappointment to me, how Watchmen was absorbed into the mainstream. It had originally been meant as an indication of what people could do that was new. I’d originally thought that with works like Watchmen and Marvelman, I’d be able to say, “Look, this is what you can do with these stale old concepts. You can turn them on their heads. You can really wake them up. Don’t be so limited in your thinking. Use your imagination.” And, I was naively hoping that there’d be a rush of fresh and original work by people coming up with their own. But, as I said, it was meant to be something that would liberate comics. Instead, it became this massive stumbling block that comics can’t even really seem to get around to this day. They’ve lost a lot of their original innocence, and they can’t get that back. And, they’re stuck, it seems, in this kind of depressive ghetto of grimness and psychosis. I’m not too proud of being the author of that regrettable trend".

quote:

That's probably the work of mine that I'm least fond of because there's a lot of nasty things that happen in that. I mean, the profundity in 'The Killing Joke' is that actually Batman and the Joker are pretty similar, but like, they're not real. It does us, an audience, no good to have it pointed out that Batman and the Joker are a bit similar because they're both preposterous characters, so yeah...Brian Bolland did a fantastic job of the artwork, but as for my writing, no, that's not one of my finest hours."

Edit maybe i should read the posts I'm quoting...

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Edit maybe i should read the posts I'm quoting...

never read, :justpost:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burkion posted:

Easy mistake to make

No, no, that was the ever classic Spider-Man villain Meth Mouth.

His evil super power is giving people meth.

Is his weakness withdrawal?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

If I remember right his stored up solar energy kept him in a death-like coma and then his Fortress of Solitude sent a robot to go get him and put him in a healing machine that harnessed solar power. Then it was an evil being with a scheme or something because comics, but basically his house came to life and collected him.

They're probably going to go with the solar coma and either have Steppenwolf get a hold of the body or else have him eventually wake up healed but all but powerless until he gets some of that delicious Sunny D. Probably the former, and then he's knocked out of the mind control by Lois, who Batman had to save from Steppenwolf thanks to a tip from time traveling Flash.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Is his weakness withdrawal?

Obviously

Isn't yours?

Violator
May 15, 2003

It's pretty presumptuous to think that Superman is not dead, and I now think less of all of you for assuming he's alive. I just rewatched the end of the movie again on YouTube and there's a whole bunch of reasons the dirt moved that don't involve something that's literally impossible like resurrection.
  1. Perhaps a hearse had a semi-comical accident and dropped a caski (plural for caskets, natch), causing a small earthquake that caused the dirt to bounce
  2. Related to #1, perhaps they were lowering Doomsday 'sbody into the ground to bury him and the ropes snapped and his fall caused the dirt to bounce
  3. They obviously wouldn't keep Superman/Kent's body in the ground for fear of grave robbers, so perhaps a cemetery worker was turning on the giant suction machine to lift the casket out of the ground and that started pulling the dirt up
  4. We know resurrection is impossible, but obviously Superman has a life essence so perhaps the dirt moving was his super soul moving from his body to the next plane
  5. Perhaps the release of super gas from his body super decomposing caused the lid to shake causing the dirt to move (this seems super likely to me; what did Superman eat the day he died??? White Castles I bet!)
  6. Clark's funeral took place in Kansas. Perhaps there was a fracking accident near the grave yard that caused the dirt to move.
  7. Related to the previous item, perhaps the toxic releases from the fracking (a) was inhaled by the people near the grave causing them to hallucinate, (b) was in the water they drank at the wake causing them to hallucinate, or (c) we as the audience are suppose to imagine the toxic effects of fracking and therefore hallucinated the dirt moving (note: I have no idea what fracking is). (c) feels the most likely to me of these choices for that sub-sub-subtext you can glean from the visual storytelling.
All of these are equally likely and I find it concerning that literally no one has explored these kinds of options. Looking at the fracking angle, the pieces really start to fall into place that BvS is actually a stylized remake of Erin Brockovich with some elements of The Rain Maker and A Civil Action.

Edit: Superman being alive is pretty pitiful wish fulfillment. "My Superman is perfect and can't die!" OK, yeah, and your dad is the strongest and smartest and most handsomest dad in the neighborhood too I bet!!!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Violator posted:

It's pretty presumptuous to think that Superman is not dead, and I now think less of all of you for assuming he's alive. I just rewatched the end of the movie again on YouTube and there's a whole bunch of reasons the dirt moved that don't involve something that's literally impossible like resurrection.
  1. Perhaps a hearse had a semi-comical accident and dropped a caski (plural for caskets, natch), causing a small earthquake that caused the dirt to bounce
  2. Related to #1, perhaps they were lowering Doomsday 'sbody into the ground to bury him and the ropes snapped and his fall caused the dirt to bounce
  3. They obviously wouldn't keep Superman/Kent's body in the ground for fear of grave robbers, so perhaps a cemetery worker was turning on the giant suction machine to lift the casket out of the ground and that started pulling the dirt up
  4. We know resurrection is impossible, but obviously Superman has a life essence so perhaps the dirt moving was his super soul moving from his body to the next plane
  5. Perhaps the release of super gas from his body super decomposing caused the lid to shake causing the dirt to move (this seems super likely to me; what did Superman eat the day he died??? White Castles I bet!)
  6. Clark's funeral took place in Kansas. Perhaps there was a fracking accident near the grave yard that caused the dirt to move.
  7. Related to the previous item, perhaps the toxic releases from the fracking (a) was inhaled by the people near the grave causing them to hallucinate, (b) was in the water they drank at the wake causing them to hallucinate, or (c) we as the audience are suppose to imagine the toxic effects of fracking and therefore hallucinated the dirt moving (note: I have no idea what fracking is). (c) feels the most likely to me of these choices for that sub-sub-subtext you can glean from the visual storytelling.
All of these are equally likely and I find it concerning that literally no one has explored these kinds of options. Looking at the fracking angle, the pieces really start to fall into place that BvS is actually a stylized remake of Erin Brockovich with some elements of The Rain Maker and A Civil Action.

Edit: Superman being alive is pretty pitiful wish fulfillment. "My Superman is perfect and can't die!" OK, yeah, and your dad is the strongest and smartest and most handsomest dad in the neighborhood too I bet!!!

The gently caress is this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doflamingo posted:

The gently caress is this.

Performance art

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Violator posted:

It's pretty presumptuous to think that Superman is not dead, and I now think less of all of you for assuming he's alive.

:allears:

@goons_txt

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Why would they take all the effort of killing such a powerful hero as Superman if they would bring him back shortly afterwards? It makes no sense, I tells you, it's unheard of!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Why would they take all the effort of killing such a powerful hero as Superman if they would bring him back shortly afterwards? It makes no sense, I tells you, it's unheard of!

Looking back on it the writers really had a lot of restraint when they did that original Death of Superman story. He stayed dead for like an entire real life year. Of course for most of that year they were teasing that he had returned but still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Perhaps the release of super gas from his body super decomposing caused the lid to shake causing the dirt to move (this seems super likely to me; what did Superman eat the day he died??? White Castles I bet!)

Superman to be played by Daniel Radcliffe in Justice League

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

The only people croaking about "my childhood" at this point are the people who are making this up whole-cloth as the reason people don't like the prequels. I suppose if you are a deranged wiki editor you don't recognize the flaws in the original Star Wars, but that's not anyone here and not even most people who enjoy Star Wars.

The only people I see here advocating and jealously protecting perfection as a concept in movies are people who happen to like the prequels, actually. Hence supremely tortured sentiments like "People only concluded these movies were bad when they discussed them! Checkmate star-tards!" You've become the very people you profess to hate.

I brought up childhoods in response to the shock here that Tom Holland might like the prequel films and would have trouble relating to passionate defensiveness of the originals. Outside that nostalgic blanket, the originals aren't much different from the prequels, earnest fairytale pastiche of the same source materials.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposedly Watchmen is getting an R-Rated animation

http://www.cbr.com/watchmen-r-rated-animated-movie/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

Personally I think the Director Cut is as good as is gonna get.
Instead of that they should just do The Sandman as a R-Rated animation series.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toady posted:

I brought up childhoods in response to the shock here that Tom Holland might like the prequel films and would have trouble relating to passionate defensiveness of the originals. Outside that nostalgic blanket, the originals aren't much different from the prequels, earnest fairytale pastiche of the same source materials.

The defense of the prequels in this thread so far has ranged from "they're actually not that bad, kind of enjoyable" to "Anakin was supposed to be whiney so the problem wasn't with Christensen's acting" so I have no flipping idea what that dude is on about. Especially considering the post he was responding to, where you were as reasonable as can be about understanding people who do and don't consider the originals a "shared life experience". I think he might have severe frontal lobe damage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

The defense of the prequels in this thread so far has ranged from "they're actually not that bad, kind of enjoyable" to "Anakin was supposed to be whiney so the problem wasn't with Christensen's acting" so I have no flipping idea what that dude is on about. Especially considering the post he was responding to, where you were as reasonable as can be about understanding people who do and don't consider the originals a "shared life experience". I think he might have severe frontal lobe damage.

Well, it squares the circle with any thread about movies but particularly ones about classics from when they were a kid. You tend to notice that people have no idea why or are at least unable to articulate why they like something, which is why their strongest reactions are reserved for stuff they don't like.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just get Sam Raimi and Liam Neeson back together to do an r rated "Old Darkman"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last CBM I saw was Dawn of Justice. Anything come out since then that's worth seeing?

I still have my Watchmen BluRays... I should watch that. Should also finish the comic too I imagine. I made it up to Rorschach's past. I dunno why I stopped there since it was the first time I started to like the rear end in a top hat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, it squares the circle with any thread about movies but particularly ones about classics from when they were a kid. You tend to notice that people have no idea why or are at least unable to articulate why they like something, which is why their strongest reactions are reserved for stuff they don't like.

There's also the point that these people are usually afraid that their classic kids movie won't be able too withstand scrutiny, or simply that they won't enjoy it as much.

When you have no actual faith, the best substitute is to police others. If you are unable to actually praise Star Wars, pressure those who voice uncertainty until they fall into line. That's why you see consistent recourse to populist 'dislike button' aggregation, and/or fervent scrying through Hollywood accounts, to show that the enemy is on the wrong side of history. Nobody liked Dawn Of Justice; it only made a billion dollars.

Imagine if people judged books mainly in terms of copies sold.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

don't they :confused:

I mean I don't read a lot of books these days but you can bet "number of copies sold" is right there on the cover, or back of the cover

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NikkolasKing posted:

Last CBM I saw was Dawn of Justice. Anything come out since then that's worth seeing?

I still have my Watchmen BluRays... I should watch that. Should also finish the comic too I imagine. I made it up to Rorschach's past. I dunno why I stopped there since it was the first time I started to like the rear end in a top hat.

They're all pretty good. I'd say maybe skip X-Men apocalypse but other than that every Marvel and DC and Fox film since is at worst entertaining but forgettable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Aces High posted:

don't they :confused:

I mean I don't read a lot of books these days but you can bet "number of copies sold" is right there on the cover, or back of the cover

Right, but I mean if you're in Grade 4 or whatever, your book report isn't going be about how Nancy Drew sucks because Encyclopedia Brown technically made more money despite moving less copies because each paperback was priced higher relative to its production cost and zzzzzzz

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Colossal was the best superhero movie this year so far. Logan was real good too, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but I mean if you're in Grade 4 or whatever, your book report isn't going be about how Nancy Drew sucks because Encyclopedia Brown technically made more money despite moving less copies because each paperback was priced higher relative to its production cost and zzzzzzz

That's a big fat F for not even bothering to back of the napkin inflation correction. What is this, 1st Grade?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NikkolasKing posted:

Doctor Strange, Logan, and Civil War are the first three you should check out that have been released since BvS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Really, Civil War? Just watch a 9 minute supercut on youtube, and also maybe a Black Panther clip or two.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Civil War is pretty good the first time through at least. Black Panther is rad and the cameos from other heroes are great, they should have done more with those.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm mostly just surprised to hear recommendations for a Wolverine solo movie. I never hated the character for his popularity like a lot of people do but his movies have definitely been pretty bad in the past.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I still really enjoy Civil War even after repeated viewings. There's definitely a highlight reel that will get you something similar, but what movie can you not say that about?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm mostly just surprised to hear recommendations for a Wolverine solo movie. I never hated the character for his popularity like a lot of people do but his movies have definitely been pretty bad in the past.

Logan is a good movie, because it manages to do dark and gritty correctly (which is to say, it's not literally dark and gritty, it's figuratively dark and gritty) where so many others fail. Also hearing Patrick Stewart cuss like a motherfucker is hilarious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Strobe posted:

Logan is a good movie, because it manages to do dark and gritty correctly (which is to say, it's not literally dark and gritty, it's figuratively dark and gritty) where so many others fail. Also hearing Patrick Stewart cuss like a motherfucker is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

I still really enjoy Civil War even after repeated viewings. There's definitely a highlight reel that will get you something similar, but what movie can you not say that about?

The last half of the fast and furious movie series does what the MCU tries to do in their group movies, but better in every way aside from Spider-Man or Black Panther.

Civil War is just an empty hollow movie with nothing to say and nothing to show for it, it's eye candy in the worst way. I liked Black Panther, though, and Spider-Man was also cool.

• Locked thread