Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I feel like Ann and most of the other characters would be strongly improved by not having such... low effort English VA.

I haven't heard any of the JPN version but I can only assume they're better acted because that's generally the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joker actually sounds charismatic and has a booming voice in JP whereas he sounds like a generic guy in English, so yeah. Most of the dub is fine though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Supremezero posted:

Why do you get two Master Curry's when you make it, but only one Master Coffee. That seems dumb.

There seem to be less days where you're allowed to make curry than coffee. Seems like every other day the fridge is out of ingredients

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

I feel like Ann and most of the other characters would be strongly improved by not having such... low effort English VA.

I haven't heard any of the JPN version but I can only assume they're better acted because that's generally the case.

*extremely Sakamoto voice* For real!?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Temperance's 8

I'm dating her

I'm making this happen

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Temperance's 8

I'm dating her

I'm making this happen

You made the right choice

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jesus, (july spoilers) Goro walking up to your group out of nowhere to go "HMMMMM, you guys sure are a perfect match for the Phantom Thieveeeeees" and then leaving, only for everyone to go "No, there's no way he's onto us, it's impossible. is the goofiest poo poo, these idiots. At least when the P5 cast is being dumb though, it's way more charming than the Inaba gang bumbling around

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Low effort what

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Ann's voice is fine

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

Jesus, (july spoilers) Goro walking up to your group out of nowhere to go "HMMMMM, you guys sure are a perfect match for the Phantom Thieveeeeees" and then leaving, only for everyone to go "No, there's no way he's onto us, it's impossible. is the goofiest poo poo, these idiots. At least when the P5 cast is being dumb though, it's way more charming than the Inaba gang bumbling around

Keep going

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Supremezero posted:

Why do you get two Master Curry's when you make it, but only one Master Coffee. That seems dumb.

Anyway, All links maxed get!

This is actually rather lenient. I mean, I got it on the last day, but that's only because the person wasn't available the second to last day.

Do you get an item to make Arsene Telos or whatever like in 3 and 4, or do we only get Satanel for our cool new 'Sona?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

I think Ann's VA is pretty good. Makoto's, too. Actually so far all of the main cast is pretty good I think. Maybe not "Naughty Dog game" good, but at least by JRPG standards the acting isn't bad.

The translation team needed a good dialog editor, though. It's not disastrous or anything, but there's a good amount of unnatural phrasing that I think could've been avoided. Whoever wrote the English dialog seems like they were a bit too literal and nobody touched it up afterwards.

That one tweet from last week with the bad dialog examples picked bad examples, weirdly enough. In-context, most of those were fine, especially Igor's "to think a prison would appear, as such" line (it's awkward if you read it as "I wouldn't have thought a prison would look like this," but what he means is, "I'm surprised the Velvet Room has appeared as a prison," and it's fine in that context). But there are a lot of "however" constructions or really wordy sentences that could've been smoothed over to sound more like things real people would say in casual conversation. I wouldn't be surprised if the voice acting would sound better if the actors had more natural dialog to work with. Given what they have, I think the ones I've heard so far did well.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The proper way to play persona 5 is to do harem in your first playthrough and then settle down to the canonical true love in the second playthrough which is Becky

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

The Gorp posted:

The problem is they dropped the ball and didn't think of anything to give her. She's just a milquetoast gardener who talks with a soft voice because they took away elements of her character without replacing them with anything substantial.
Haru was made worst girl, and that's a darn shame.

It doesn't help that she's brought into the Metaverse and introduced as the next party member before we actually learn much about her. Her awakening is less satisfying than the others because we were essentially told it was going to happen, but given only a lightly sketched reason why.

It would have been better if she encountered the group while doing her own investigation or otherwise being proactive about her situation. There's something perfunctory about her as it is--they needed another playable character and so they dropped one in, giving her a rushed introduction and a vague connection to the plot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cu Chulainn posted:

Do you get an item to make Arsene Telos or whatever like in 3 and 4, or do we only get Satanel for our cool new 'Sona?

The spoiler is the big ng+ persona yeah

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Is it worth busing a soma to clear the first dungeon in one outing? I'm a big dumb bitch and I ran out of steam right around the end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've honestly been surprised by how much I enjoy the English VA. I honestly thought it'd be kinda bad just going off the trailers.

Ann and Yusuke are probably my favorites so far, with Yusuke having a Matt Mercer voice that I personally haven't heard before, he really has the funniest delivery of the game imo. Goro's voice has this weird soft, almost scratchy quality to it, but tbh it's kind of close to his Japanese voice who also speaks pretty softly. Morgana also has a cute voice which is leeeeagues better than Teddy

dub good

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

epenthesis posted:

It doesn't help that she's brought into the Metaverse and introduced as the next party member before we actually learn much about her. Her awakening is less satisfying than the others because we were essentially told it was going to happen, but given only a lightly sketched reason why.

It would have been better if she encountered the group while doing her own investigation or otherwise being proactive about her situation. There's something perfunctory about her as it is--they needed another playable character and so they dropped one in, giving her a rushed introduction and a vague connection to the plot.

Maybe if this wasn't a JRPG. If a character here had a name and a mugshot, and weren't a shopkeeper or already a confidant, they were probably going to become a party member.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

That one tweet from last week with the bad dialog examples picked bad examples, weirdly enough. In-context, most of those were fine, especially Igor's "to think a prison would appear, as such" line (it's awkward if you read it as "I wouldn't have thought a prison would look like this," but what he means is, "I'm surprised the Velvet Room has appeared as a prison," and it's fine in that context). But there are a lot of "however" constructions or really wordy sentences that could've been smoothed over to sound more like things real people would say in casual conversation. I wouldn't be surprised if the voice acting would sound better if the actors had more natural dialog to work with. Given what they have, I think the ones I've heard so far did well.

The weirdest line is Morgana saying "Kamoshida is a scum", which I think is technically correct but most people usually say "X is scum"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

I've honestly been surprised by how much I enjoy the English VA. I honestly thought it'd be kinda bad just going off the trailers.

Ann and Yusuke are probably my favorites so far, with Yusuke having a Matt Mercer voice that I personally haven't heard before, he really has the funniest delivery of the game imo. Goro's voice has this weird soft, almost scratchy quality to it, but tbh it's kind of close to his Japanese voice who also speaks pretty softly. Morgana also has a cute voice which is leeeeagues better than Teddy

dub good

Goro's voice starts fuckin up in battle quotes where he gets a bit whispy trying to maintain the proper demeanor but also have some bass in his voice. He sounds for the most part otherwise though.

(End game spoilers)
And then when he has to be crazy Goro and he has his moments, but doesn't really sound amazing still.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

The weirdest line is Morgana saying "Kamoshida is a scum", which I think is technically correct but most people usually say "X is scum"

This game makes me wish I had stuck with learning Japanese so I could work on game translations and clean up all this dialog. I'm just going to assume that no publisher's going to hire a dialog editor who can't work as a translator, too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah even now I can hear Daymond kinda break a bit, which sorta fits given Goro is trying to put on his best face for these constant interviews he does. (endgame spoilers) Shame he still can't quite keep it together for his villain scenes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you look for the vids on youtube you can listen to Hoshi's performance and it is absolutely one of his best performances especially with some of the Persona calls he does. It's very clear how much he got into the character and it's part of the reason I love Goro so much.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Supremezero posted:

Maybe if this wasn't a JRPG. If a character here had a name and a mugshot, and weren't a shopkeeper or already a confidant, they were probably going to become a party member.

Obviously everyone would know she'd be a party member just from the cover and intro, but that doesn't mean the actual introduction can't still be clunky.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Captain Baal posted:

If you look for the vids on youtube you can listen to Hoshi's performance and it is absolutely one of his best performances especially with some of the Persona calls he does. It's very clear how much he got into the character and it's part of the reason I love Goro so much.

I'm still waiting to see the origin of the Goro and Pancakes meme but (pre-Palace 6) The Russian takoyaki scene was fantastic and hilarious and I don't even understand Japanese!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Listening to him suffer through eating that thing is immaculate

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh my god the JoJo reference on 9/6 :allears:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Joker actually sounds charismatic and has a booming voice in JP whereas he sounds like a generic guy in English, so yeah. Most of the dub is fine though.
Pretty much all I remember from the Japanese VO is Joker telling Shadows to show him their true form, and Futaba telling Morgana to aim properly. If 50% of the lines I remember are his, I guess that must mean it was a good performance?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Is it worth busing a soma to clear the first dungeon in one outing? I'm a big dumb bitch and I ran out of steam right around the end.

No, but just checking where are you in the dungeon?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

Pretty much all I remember from the Japanese VO is Joker telling Shadows to show him their true form, and Futaba telling Morgana to aim properly. If 50% of the lines I remember are his, I guess that must mean it was a good performance?

正体を見せろ!*splash*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm still waiting to see the origin of the Goro and Pancakes meme but (pre-Palace 6) The Russian takoyaki scene was fantastic and hilarious and I don't even understand Japanese!

I'm not anywhere close to there but Goro has already talked about pancakes. Not sure if there's more though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'LL REVEAL YOUR TRUE FORM

E: The Goro bit is just the (I think this took place between Palaces one and two) bit where Morgana says he wants pancakes from Dome Town. Nobody else says the word pancakes, and only certain people can hear Morgana as anything other than a cat, so how does Goro, an Ace Detectivex2, overhear them?

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

No, but just checking where are you in the dungeon?

Almost at the top of the tower. There's a sub boss talking mess about creating stairs for me. I haven't fought it yet.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
beat the game, it was the best persona

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mad Wack posted:

beat the game, it was the best persona

I just beat it too and I agree, as it's the only one I've played.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

epenthesis posted:

I think they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. Because the Phantom Thief stuff becomes riskier as the storyline progresses it's much harder to justify the team trusting another person enough to bring them into the group. It's no accident that three of the last four party members get involved with the team through threats and blackmail. That just wouldn't work for Haru's character, so they needed to have one cast member make a unilateral decision to trust her and get her involved past a point of no return, hence Morgana's poorly-justified flight. Maybe it would have worked better if the MC had been the one isolated from the others and forced to trust her? I don't know.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Almost at the top of the tower. There's a sub boss talking mess about creating stairs for me. I haven't fought it yet.

you're forced to leave after you kill that thing cuz you can't do dungeons in one day in p5. so unless you literally are on empty try to see if you can wreck him.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also i'm not thrilled with hifume as a dating choice, even though she starts out hilarious

def gonna do haru in ng+ she really grew on me

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

you're forced to leave after you kill that thing cuz you can't do dungeons in one day in p5. so unless you literally are on empty try to see if you can wreck him.

Well, I beat him without getting hit, so that was good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Goro: I guess there are lots of places I'm not wanted.

MC: Oh, so it's not just here?

God I love being an rear end in a top hat to him.