Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just started episode 2 and got to the invention exchange. Dammit Patton, now I am legit upset

He's not listed as a writer for that episode, for what its worth.

Jamesman posted:

I'm sorry guys I really wanted to like this. :(

I mean, it's your loss, not ours. I feel more bad for you that it isn't what you wanted (although I consider episode 2 to be vastly superior to episode 1).

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Carecat posted:

New Crow is solid, he sounds like the old one and manages to match the personality. New Tom isn't working for me so far and doesn't have the range of Kevin. Don't have much of an opinion on Jonah or Felicia yet but Patton feels like he fits right in.

I feel pretty much the same way. Crow is kind of the anchor for me here, it would be harder for me to get used to this if he wasn't so spot on. Having said that, I liked the first episode. It definitely has the feel of the old show even if the riffs are way too frantic. I'm hoping they settle in a bit as the season goes on.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Are all episodes like episode one, where they riff nonstop? It's driving me insane.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

robot roll call posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. Crow is kind of the anchor for me here, it would be harder for me to get used to this if he wasn't so spot on. Having said that, I liked the first episode. It definitely has the feel of the old show even if the riffs are way too frantic. I'm hoping they settle in a bit as the season goes on.

I'm all the way through episode 10 and the riffing never gets as frantic as episode 1 again. It can still come quickly in places, but it isn't as break-neck in my opinion.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
A third of the way into The Time Travelers, this movie really likes hanging around a lot there's so much dead air that Jonah and the Bots have to really make up for it.

Also, it's a creepy movie, the android designs are awful good god.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

15 minutes? Dude you like have actual real depression. Go outside get some sun, get on the phone and talk to some friends and family.

:laffo: What the gently caress

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Are all episodes like episode one, where they riff nonstop? It's driving me insane.

While Joel said that he wanted faster-paced riffing, I think the breathless, non-stop riffing might be exacerbated in part due to the copy-and-paste way their doing the riffs this season:

Nerdist posted:

“[We were doing] two movies a day,” recollects Yount, who voices Crow T. Robot in the renewed series. “Two a day, but you’re not watching it at movie speed, you’re watching it at production speed, which is like a 14-hour day.” Recording it this way allowed the actors, writers, and creator/director Joel Hodgson the ability to perfect each and every joke until it was absolutely perfect. “You’re watching the ten-minute section over and over,” Yount continued, “slowing it down and trying to just break every comedic beat.”

[...]

Following the recording of the actual riffs, Jonah and the puppeteers headed into the silhouette stage for a week of acting out visual gags and movements along with the already-synced audio jokes.
If they're just recording and re-recording every riff they think of to get "absolutely perfect" takes, and experiencing the film via riffable sections, then they might not have been fully aware of how it might sound a bit overstuffed when everything is queued up in the final movie. :shrug:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Franchescanado posted:

I love the Skeleton Crew.

I was pumped when one of the commercial bumpers had them playing a cover of Servo's Ode to Canada.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Rikki Tikki Tarantula

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm on episode 1 right now and the riffing doesn't really seem much faster paced to me than the original. Not really sure how much I care for the mads yet, but like several other people have said, the tone of the riffing seems pretty much spot-on with classic MST3K. Good show, great job.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't spoil the payoff, but do they ever explain the Gypsy/bucket thing that keeps happening? Two episodes in and it's...ok it's not distracting, but because it keeps happening, my curiosity is starting to boil over.

Although her one off riffs are great. "Now you're Mister Filing Cabinet!"

i'm guessing they're building up for a later joke. the gypsy and flying tom stuff was a little distracting at first but i think of this new season as firmly joel in charge, and joel always liked visual gags and interacting with the screen. i wonder how much of this stuff is things he always wanted to do with mst3k, like make it more of a self aware stage production, but he never had the budget or creative control to accomplish

General Dog posted:

I'm on episode 1 right now and the riffing doesn't really seem much faster paced to me than the original. Not really sure how much I care for the mads yet, but like several other people have said, the tone of the riffing seems pretty much spot-on with classic MST3K. Good show, great job.

joel era riffs were kind of slow, the later mike era riffs got pretty fast, but imo i agree with folks who are saying it's too fast now. they have to speak so quickly i can't always catch the riff. i'd prefer it if they slowed down a little but it's a minor annoyance at worst

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gavok posted:

I was pumped when one of the commercial bumpers had them playing a cover of Servo's Ode to Canada.

They all seem to be songs from the old show. I think I heard the pants song in there.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope they release the band's versions of old songs somewhere. I'd buy it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want If I Held Your Brain in My Arms played if they haven't already.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they release the band's versions of old songs somewhere. I'd buy it.

One of the kickstarter rewards was a soundtrack for the new season. I have to imagine it will be put up for sale as well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Burkion posted:

I mean there's a very good reason for the change

Gypsy originally was portrayed as a very dumb dragon, bordering on mentally disabled. Which wasn't something Joel was super keen on, so even back then he introduced stuff like her being in charge of actually keeping poo poo running and that's why she acted the way she does- most of her mental faculties are spent doing that. I think there was even a moment where she stopped doing that and had normal, proper voice for a short while.

So yeah there is precedent for her not sounding like Mallon's take on her.

Yeah, there is an episode where Tom and Crow take over running the ship for a time and are running around like madmen, and Gypsy's voice changes and she is incredibly intelligent. Not certain which episode it was though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
15 minutes into the first episode is...just the intro and theme song. Skipping out that quick is a little absurd.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

15 minutes into the first episode is...just the intro and theme song. Skipping out that quick is a little absurd.

The intro and theme song are pretty unbearable. The movie bits are solid though. So almost all of the new show is great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Yeah, there is an episode where Tom and Crow take over running the ship for a time and are running around like madmen, and Gypsy's voice changes and she is incredibly intelligent. Not certain which episode it was though.

There's also her one-woman show, where Mary Jo does her voice.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't spoil the payoff, but do they ever explain the Gypsy/bucket thing that keeps happening? Two episodes in and it's...ok it's not distracting, but because it keeps happening, my curiosity is starting to boil over.

Although her one off riffs are great. "Now you're Mister Filing Cabinet!"

There was a question about this in the Kickstarter backer Q&A after the first episode premiere and it sounds like not even Joel knows where exactly they're going with that (beyond providing an excuse to get Gypsy into the theater for a few riffs each episode). It's possible the Joel was just being oblique and "the payload" (as he called it) will be explained later in the season, but I'm on episode 12 and they still haven't explained anything about it yet so he might have been straight with his answer.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The intro and theme song are pretty unbearable. The movie bits are solid though. So almost all of the new show is great.

Even if you found them unbearable (which is kinda crazy to me) the riffs are perfectly in tune to the old series.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mr.Radar posted:

It's possible the Joel was just being oblique and "the payload" (as he described it) will be explained later in the season, but I'm on episode 12 and they still haven't explained anything about it yet so he might have been straight with his answer.

Don't know if spoilers are really necessary here, but I bet it has something to do with the 'liquid video' concept and the jars full of liquid they put in the big reel at the end of each episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that was cracking me up. I wish they'd spent more time on it. I was hoping for 6 Servos in the theater.

A lot more seats available. I bet they'll do a bit where they have a bunch of characters hanging out in the theater.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ComposerGuy posted:

(although I consider episode 2 to be vastly superior to episode 1).

Yeah I'll say that if the first episode doesn't work for you, at least give the second a shot. Cry Wilderness is a transformative experience.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Even if you found them unbearable (which is kinda crazy to me) the riffs are perfectly in tune to the old series.

Spergs 'gonna Sperg. I don't mean that to be disparaging, btw. I no doubt share some of those tendencies myself, I just deal with them with the help of prescription :catdrugs:. But the show has a lot of appeal to a certain, um, demographic, and a lot of them don't really like change. I get it.

To them (us?) I say, don't worry, you'll get used to it. Push through it. It's still the same show.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm glad there are still references I'm too young to understand. It means I'm not Old yet.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I had a moment where I recalled hearing at one point that they wanted to change Gypsy's design because her silhouette as it was would cover too much screen if she came to the theater to riff and would be distracting...

...so they changed her so that she drops all the way from the ceiling, carrying a cooler the size of her head? :psyduck:

But then I remembered it's just a show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

HD widescreen helps w that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You brought that pipe all the way to the future just to throw it?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I was secretly hoping that they'd have asked Man or Astroman to do the music for the new show. I'm not sure how much I like the dude from the Skeleton Crew singing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Finished Time Travelers. I'm not as solid on it as I was Cry of Wilderness, so it feels like a stepping stone of an ep if nothing else. The Bot's horror at the androids getting the brunt of the violence was pretty funny though. On to No. 4!

Oh my gosh, the opening skit is parodying Mad Men, that is so cute :3:

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 14, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is this not available worldwide? I'm not a fan but I wanted to watch Reptilicus since it's a Danish movie, but then it's not available in Denmark?? I don't think I've ever seen Netflix region lock their original shows.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I loved the zelda bomb opens a secret sound in Avalanche.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Avalanche made me legitimately angry. Not at MST3K, but at the movie itself.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You just ate something with tuna fish in it didn't you.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm liking the 2nd episode a lot more than the first. 10 minutes in and they're killing it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Avalanche made me legitimately angry. Not at MST3K, but at the movie itself.

There's a shot of the little kid drinking white wine. Not as a plot point or anything. They just gave the kid a glass of wine on the set.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they cram riffs into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect—they need to slow down and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in, and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was definitely the stronger of the first two episodes, and "Eww, he's purging." "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think the riffing pace is a bit better in Avalanche, it's not as manic as it was in Reptilicus.

Goddammit movie, don't think I don't notice Mia Farrow not being wet whatsoever after the pool sequence!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jonah, what's a radio?
It's like a podcast you can't control.