Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Palace 7 do you get someone to replace goro or can I sell the gear I bought and customized for him

Sell that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Just keep the gear for new game+, not like it's worth much selling at that point of the game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Sell that poo poo

drat. Part of me was hoping that Sae's rank 10 reward being ????????? Was foreshadowing that shed take his place.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

IMO people are way too much of babies about the you must sleep parts. They enable you a chance to save and also allows them to show events going around in the country through the television. The alternative would've been them forcing the evening to end like during the exams and even worst, during the cultural festival. If you want to reload to check out the different cultural festival dates you gotta reload all the way before it begins because there weren't any you must sleep during it. The games already balanced around in terms of time in that you can 100% the social links in your first playthrough even without a spreadsheet or following some gamefaq guide

...Wait.

There were school festival dates? :psyduck:

I never got an option to choose I just had Haru come hang out with me and assumed it was a normal story scene.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zore posted:

You could probably do it basically how it happens already have Ryugi and Morgana have the falling out when you're trying to get into Futaba's palace because of the stress and have Morgana run into Haru and recruit her that way.

The problem being that you would need to substantially rewrite Haru to make her awakening her Persona in Futaba's Palace. Making Haru like, Futaba's online friend or something could work but it would need more than that. Maybe instead of Okumura being a food company, the family has a bigger hand in the whole psience stuff and Haru feels responsible... or something. Or I guess you could have them go into Okumura's Palace first and recruit Haru, then back out to deal with Futaba so they can deal with Medjed before the deadline, and then get back to Okumura. I'unno.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YoshiOfYellow posted:

...Wait.

There were school festival dates? :psyduck:

I never got an option to choose I just had Haru come hang out with me and assumed it was a normal story scene.

You need to be dating someone. Haru is the backup option if you aren't dating someone by that point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's not like it's ruining our perfect 100% playthrough, it just feels bad. it's a bad gamefeel. the social stuff is fun and it is not fun to have it taken away for weeks at a time. and iunno why either of those two things require them to cut off your time because you can save anywhere in the city at any time and they could just cut to the tv when your day ends no matter what you do.

Yeah, it's this.

And again, I'm sure Persona 3 and 4 took just as much time away from you, but they did a better job of either justifying it or at least not drawing as much attention to it.

Really, I think if Persona 5 just made it more seamless it wouldn't be as noticeable. Instead of plopping you in your room and having Morgana tell you to go to bed if you try to leave or do anything, just cut right to going to sleep and starting the next day. Some people might still be annoyed at losing evenings, but it might end up feeling less arbitrary or annoying.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh that explains things. I was dating Doc Gothula and not anyone from school.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

it's not like it's ruining our perfect 100% playthrough, it just feels bad. it's a bad gamefeel. the social stuff is fun and it is not fun to have it taken away for weeks at a time. and iunno why either of those two things require them to cut off your time because you can save anywhere in the city at any time and they could just cut to the tv when your day ends no matter what you do.

they could play the tv while you write in your journal as you look seriously sleepy/exhausted, giving you a save prompt and the ability to access the menu during that time.

i mean, its probably the only bad feeling thing about the game besides sometimes the overlap between dashing/ambush in dungeons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's this.

And again, I'm sure Persona 3 and 4 took just as much time away from you, but they did a better job of either justifying it or at least not drawing as much attention to it.

Really, I think if Persona 5 just made it more seamless it wouldn't be as noticeable. Instead of plopping you in your room and having Morgana tell you to go to bed if you try to leave or do anything, just cut right to going to sleep and starting the next day. Some people might still be annoyed at losing evenings, but it might end up feeling less arbitrary or annoying.
yeah and it's really inconsistent, like after the fourth palace there's a ton of days where your afternoon is taken up but you still get to go out at night and the game's trained you so hard that your nights are useless after cutscene days i guarantee that a not-insignificant number of people missed those nights.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh that explains things. I was dating Doc Gothula and not anyone from school.

Yeah, the only options besides Haru are Makoto, Ann, Kawakami and I think Hifumi (but not totally sure on that).

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
You can also hang out with Ryuji and Mishima if you have max rank with him at the school festival, and tbh it's the best option because you can declare your love for Yusuke Kitagawa, best boy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly forcibly losing time felt no less bullshit in P3/4 than it does here. poo poo like getting sick and just skipping over a week sucked hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess the other issue is that p5 actually personifies the random day losses via morgana, which makes them feel way more intrusive and like a character is slapping your hand away from the fun video game, or like you never stop having the tutorial cat hanging over your shoulder.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"I'm too tired to do this today..."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

"I'm too tired to do this today..."

yeah, that's my point, since it's just the omnipotent voice of the narrator instead of an actual character, it sticks out less in your mind

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

i guess the other issue is that p5 actually personifies the random day losses via morgana, which makes them feel way more intrusive and like a character is slapping your hand away from the fun video game, or like you never stop having the tutorial cat hanging over your shoulder.

its your parents telling you its bed time vs you feeling sleepy and going to bed. the illusion of agency counts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Get rid of Morgana following you everywhere and telling you what you can't do and have the MC say "I'm too tired for this poo poo"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it doesnt help that morgana is probably my least favorite plot character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

it doesnt help that morgana is probably my least favorite plot character

the segment before palace 5 was the lamest poo poo and i was cool with ryuji not apologizing because ryuji was right, about everything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serf posted:

Get rid of Morgana following you everywhere and telling you what you can't do and have the MC say "I'm too tired for this poo poo"

Yeah, it's not like we don't see Joker's inner monologue on occasion. That could serve the same purpose and even with the exact same amount of interruptions it'd feel less intrusive.

Side note: I'm always a little surprised when Joker actually says something in an anime cutscene. I like his voice actor, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I could just be remembering wrong but I could have sworn in 3 and 4 they just shunted you to the next day more often than not during those plot weeks, so you didn't get control only to be told to gently caress off.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm sick of you fuckers dissing Mona, you will respect the cat and respect him right now

Without Mona you wouldn't know when to water your plant or remember what the flower orders were, causing to you to not have empathy for your fellow man and therefore be unable to understand or connect with the man who took you in. Without Mona complimenting you every time you take a bath, you would have no confidence in your looks and probably not even want to pay money to take a bath and therefore be an ugly and unhygienic goon with stupid hair. Without Mona helping you during exams, being by side when you go to the diner or library, or reminding you to read a book when you got a seat in the train, you would be dumb as a loving rock and flunk your exams. And when you flunk your exams the man who took you in would kick your rear end out and you'll be homeless wondering the streets of Shibuya. And without Mona you would listen to the guy offering a quick and easy job for lots of cash and end up in debt and under an ocean somewhere after getting everything squeezed out of you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Endorph posted:

the segment before palace 5 was the lamest poo poo and i was cool with ryuji not apologizing because ryuji was right, about everything

To quote Yusuke: "What a douche."

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm sick of you fuckers dissing Mona, you will respect the cat and respect him right now

Without Mona you wouldn't know when to water your plant or remember what the flower orders were, causing to you to not have empathy for your fellow man and therefore be unable to understand or connect with the man who took you in. Without Mona complimenting you every time you take a bath, you would have no confidence in your looks and probably not even want to pay money to take a bath and therefore be an ugly and unhygienic goon with stupid hair. Without Mona helping you during exams, being by side when you go to the diner or library, or reminding you to read a book when you got a seat in the train, you would be dumb as a loving rock and flunk your exams. And when you flunk your exams the man who took you in would kick your rear end out and you'll be homeless wondering the streets of Shibuya. And without Mona you would listen to the guy offering a quick and easy job for lots of cash and end up in debt and under an ocean somewhere after getting everything squeezed out of you.

gently caress u

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

"Hands off my cat" - Joker

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Anzen posted:

You can also hang out with Ryuji and Mishima if you have max rank with him at the school festival, and tbh it's the best option because you can declare your love for Yusuke Kitagawa, best boy.

Aw man now I have to replay the game so I can declare my love for best boy. :argh:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They should've introduced Makoto earlier because I honestly felt kinda medium about the game until she showed up. So much of the plot and guiding hand of hers push the story forward in a way that Joker-the silent protag- can never do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Moltrey posted:

Yeah Goro joining you for one dungeon and then bailing is a biiiit weak? Like if you wanted more emotional resonance, I feel having him join around August where I am, would be good. Have a new party for Futaba's dungeon rather than just a navigator by the end

I dunno

I think the Goro join time works as is. Him being the traitor doesn't seem like it's supposed to ACTUALLY surprise you. The details of how the party beats him is

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno

I think the Goro join time works as is. Him being the traitor doesn't seem like it's supposed to ACTUALLY surprise you. The details of how the party beats him is

Yeah

The thing with Goro is he's set up for the rad heist 'this is what actually happened' hidden plot and reveal. It doesn't really work out as well if you extend it over multiple dungeons.

They made him way too crazy and evil for that tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

They should've introduced Makoto earlier because I honestly felt kinda medium about the game until she showed up. So much of the plot and guiding hand of hers push the story forward in a way that Joker-the silent protag- can never do.

I don't know. I think she's introduced in a pretty appropriate part of the game. She's basically the brains of the operation and Joker's number 2, but the 1st dungeon is really good anyway and I don't think having Kaneshiro as the first official target of the Phantom Thieves would be the best idea. I think around Palace 3 is a pretty good point for the game to start getting into Sae's deal and for the plot to start getting more complex, which Makoto is essential for since none of the idiots you start with would figure anything out. I'm even cool with Akechi's placement in the story. If anyone's needs to be pushed up earlier it's Haru.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

On the other hand Ryuji is poo poo and should be run over by a cat bus.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji is very good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

P3 only had 3 stats to raise instead of five, right?

I don't think that made the stat to slink to time ratio any better in the end, though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Ryugi is a good friend who fights for what he believes in even before you get there which puts him ahead of most of the cast who require your intervention to spur them to acction.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

P3 only had 3 stats to raise instead of five, right?

I don't think that made the stat to slink to time ratio any better in the end, though

Part of that was the need to maintain social links there or they would reverse.

Also you had to date all the girls and juggle the poo poo out of your schedule if you wanted to max all links.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

this translation owns actually

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno

I don't really mean so much as the surprise element, but the emotions you're supposed to catch that Goro is just a really lonely person who is being taken advantage of might be stronger if you had spent an extra two months or something with him. Like those extra months of him hanging out with everyone only underscored how lonely he was before, how jealous he is that you have everything he doesn't. I feel it'd make the whole thing a bit more difficult to swallow then "aw, the guy who just joined last dungeon is leaving, dang: Goro's is incredibly wrapped up in the plot, but from a gameplay perspective, it feels he just skirted out from under the same knife that apparently cut Hifumi from joining the group

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 14, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
As cool as she is, I'm glad Hifumi was cut from the final game as a party member. That would have I think pushed things over just enough to being unwieldy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm doing rank 7 for Mishima (Moon), I talked to Mishima, Met his shadow in Mementos

Does Mishima take a long time to contact you again after that? I'd really like to have the experience bonus before starting the third dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Post palace 5 If Sojiro was my dad, things would be different around here.