Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Using the revenant on gold with the double damage glitch didn't feel OP in the slightest. Still took ~15 bullets to kill bog standard enemies on a soldier with an AR barrel IV. And the revenant is one of the best assault rifles, such as they are.

Which means worse guns like the avenger, zalkin, cyclone, mattock, and halberd are still going to underperform with literally doubled damage. They don't need to gently caress around with little changes because "oh nooo what if we made something slightly overpowered in a co-op game," they need to bring out the big numbers.

There is a sixth map, they just won't use it for anything but once-a-weekend events for no reason.

Revenant 10 with a Barrel 10 and the new Combatives item and I kill an Outlaw Raider in about 20 bullets, not using the ammo glitch. This is assuming a medium distance and most of the bullets are hitting the general area of the raider's torso.

That's about 2 seconds of fire, which isn't that bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The sticky grenade human class is a really good one to max out with the common packs. See if you like any of the common classes first and max them out. When you become capable of running golds you can afford like 8 common packs every time you finish a gold.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nasgate posted:

I don't have a class to test it with, but i recently discovered in single player that the reflective biotic shield can reflect the ascendant orb attack if the center of it hits you. Might be useful in mp since it could potentially hurt other enemies in its path. As well as doing more damage than any gun to the orb.

It works in multiplayer

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Playing with pubbies is terrible. Goons, save me: sar_ern on PS4

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

The sticky grenade human class is a really good one to max out with the common packs. See if you like any of the common classes first and max them out. When you become capable of running golds you can afford like 8 common packs every time you finish a gold.

Is it bad that I'm trying to get all the weapons and characters before maxing them out? I just want to get a feel as to what classes I want to get up to rank X instead of going through the tedious BS of maxing them out.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 14, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MarshyMcFly posted:

Is it bad that I'm trying to get all the weapons and characters before maxing them out? I just want to get a feel as to what classes I want to get up to rank X instead of going through the tedious BS of maxing them out.

You don't really have a choice on which ones you max out so I'm not sure how to respond to this.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't really have a choice on which ones you max out so I'm not sure how to respond to this.

You have a choice whether or not to dump your money on basic packs or not before ranking every common to X though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tooterfish posted:

The "common wisdom" strategy is to fill out your commons and uncommons first, because then you don't waste drops in higher priced packs. The common wisdom is complete bollocks though, once your roster is filled any drops are just replaced by equivalent rarity consumables, they aren't upgraded or downgraded.

I think it works out best in the very long run if you buy only premium packs. That's a bit boring in the short term though.

This is a massive I reckon, and probably not absolutely optimal but: buy basic packs until you have gold capable classes at X (so... vanguard, infiltrator), the charger at X and viper at X, and melee mod at X. Then just vangod/infiltrate around gold matches and buy whatever packs are most likely to contain what you want next (hint: it's the vanquisher).
Cheers mate, will do this

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers mate, will do this

There's 3 main reasons to max basics first: You get a charger x, which while not fantastic is still drat solid. You get a fair chunk of uncommons at a 75% discount. And you get the pistol melee mod x to put on your charger x for 30% more melee damage, which is one on the best ways to kill dudes right now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's nice to max out basics now too since after you're done you will only get consumables so you know you're absolutely done

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

It's nice to max out basics now too since after you're done you will only get consumables so you know you're absolutely done

And once you can run gold, you're looking at like 16 gold runs to max out all your basics, which is 8 premium boxes.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
getting started playing mp, so vanguard and infiltrator are the "best classes" I take it? at least that are available early on?

also no matter what level of box I purchase I keep getting useless assault rifles and I'm mad about it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Martout posted:

getting started playing mp, so vanguard and infiltrator are the "best classes" I take it? at least that are available early on?

also no matter what level of box I purchase I keep getting useless assault rifles and I'm mad about it

My first and only Ultra-rare was an ushior so I feel you.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Digirat posted:

Using the revenant on gold with the double damage glitch didn't feel OP in the slightest. Still took ~15 bullets to kill bog standard enemies on a soldier with an AR barrel IV. And the revenant is one of the best assault rifles, such as they are.

I have to disagree with you. Using that glitch on a soldier, I was able to top the scoreboard of a game despite coming in late.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Martout posted:

I wouldn't say best, they're just easier to get off the ground.

Infiltrator just needs a level 1 vanquisher to be gold viable. Vanguard needs a pistol or shotgun melee mod (both common drops), the actual gun it's mounted on is an irrelevance.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nobody needs anything to be gold viable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish they'd put a little more effort into strike team name assignments. I have 5 teams and three are named Charlie

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

I have to disagree with you. Using that glitch on a soldier, I was able to top the scoreboard of a game despite coming in late.

Yeah, I decided to try the glitch. Piranha, human soldier, Turbocharge and killed a Hydra in one magazine.

Fun, I guess, but not something I want to be happening on the reg.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Zigmidge posted:

a few levels I guess?

how big is the jump from silver to gold anyway?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's more of a shock than the first time you went to silver from bronze but if you're good with knowing when to get out and using the jetpack effectively its still very easy.

We're running 10 to 15 minute golds with two pubbies. The ten minute ones tend to have at least one vanquisher in play and they're the most boring rounds.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 14, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

tooterfish posted:

The "common wisdom" strategy is to fill out your commons and uncommons first, because then you don't waste drops in higher priced packs. The common wisdom is complete bollocks though, once your roster is filled any drops are just replaced by equivalent rarity consumables, they aren't upgraded or downgraded.

The actual reason is to get you a big stock of consumables while you're doing bronze and silvers, so that you can Cobra and revive yourself constantly in harder games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ammo consumables should also be considered mandatory on Gold and you burn through those pretty fast.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

precision posted:

Ammo consumables should also be considered mandatory on Gold and you burn through those pretty fast.

Zigmidge posted:

Getting mixed messages here!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Getting mixed messages here!

I watched a poorly specced angaran avenger take 10 minutes to finish wave 5 gold with a piranha and no boosters after a fiend teleport sync killed 2 of us and the 3rd guy just didn't bother to get himself up before getting stomped.

There's enough mobility that you CAN solo gold with an avenger I.

You shouldn't do this in a game with other people, though. You should bring ammo boosters, because even nonbugged extra explosion stagger is great.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Human Engineer X lvl 1
Viper X
Ruzard X
Biotic Equipment
Pistol Amp 3
XP Boost 2

Gold viable

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Im gonna main a human adept with an avenger and no consumables on gold.

Love too die

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Im gonna main a human adept with an avenger and no consumables on gold.

Love too die
The sad thing is you could carry a gold match with that in the last game, no probs.

Before the singularity buff even.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish they'd put a little more effort into strike team name assignments. I have 5 teams and three are named Charlie

You can rename them in the phone app.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

The sad thing is you could carry a gold match with that in the last game, no probs.

Before the singularity buff even.

Just last night I did Gold with just me and a SalInf, and I was running a level 14/X Human Adept with max Singularity with the "detonate early" evo, with an Equalizer with Cryo Ammo, and we cleared it no sweat. Enemy was Kett, Firebase Derelict.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Did you shoot your gun?

It doesn't count if you do that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

They really need to fix the melee lock on. It really hurts melee characters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Revenant 10 with a Barrel 10 and the new Combatives item and I kill an Outlaw Raider in about 20 bullets, not using the ammo glitch. This is assuming a medium distance and most of the bullets are hitting the general area of the raider's torso.

That's about 2 seconds of fire, which isn't that bad at all.

Haha did you get these standards from MMOs or something? twenty bullets or over 2 seconds of the trigger held down to kill the most basic kind of enemy in a shooter is absurd, and that also requires an amount of poo poo that an extreme minority of players actually have right now. I am around the top 1200 in the world for apex rank and my revenant is II, AR barrel IV. poo poo like the vanquisher and black widow are good out of the box, so they don't need 100+ hours of grinding or $100+ of whaling to be worthwhile, and there's no reason other guns shouldn't be the same. "It gets sort of ok if you grind for another 40 hours" is not what anyone needs to hear when they get their thirtieth disappointing weapon.

Your attempts to defend this are backfiring pretty hard. Putting numbers on it just reveals how dumb it really is. And again, this is considering one of the best assault rifles in the game. There's a lot of poo poo that only gets worse from here.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

Haha did you get these standards from MMOs or something? twenty bullets or over 2 seconds of the trigger held down to kill the most basic kind of enemy in a shooter is absurd, and that also requires an amount of poo poo that an extreme minority of players actually have right now. I am around the top 1200 in the world for apex rank and my revenant is II, AR barrel IV. poo poo like the vanquisher and black widow are good out of the box, so they don't need 100+ hours of grinding or $100+ of whaling to be worthwhile, and there's no reason other guns shouldn't be the same. "It gets sort of ok if you grind for another 40 hours" is not what anyone needs to hear when they get their thirtieth disappointing weapon.

Your attempts to defend this are backfiring pretty hard. Putting numbers on it just reveals how dumb it really is. And again, this is considering one of the best assault rifles in the game. There's a lot of poo poo that only gets worse from here.

I hate games and life as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Digirat posted:

I pretty well agree, stats like that should be what you're seeing on the worst weapons not the best.
But let's hope they can rebalance it to a reasonable game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Two Finger posted:

They really need to fix the melee lock on. It really hurts melee characters.

Agreed though for me the patch seems to have made it a bit better, at least on some characters.

The characters with actual weapons (KroHammer, AsSword) definitely need a hard lock like the old Batarian Falcon Punch had

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

precision posted:

Agreed though for me the patch seems to have made it a bit better, at least on some characters.

The characters with actual weapons (KroHammer, AsSword) definitely need a hard lock like the old Batarian Falcon Punch had

I've had good luck with the biotic punch taking a half step backwards before punching again.

Just spamming the button is almost a guaranteed miss on the followup hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of punching things, is landing with a melee supposed to do more damage? It seems like it does. Is that the "new heavy melee" I guess?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, if you land directly on top it will do more damage than a melee attack.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

What's the preferred build for human adepts?
and/or soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

What's the preferred build for human adepts?
and/or soldier

Singularity+shockwave at max. Pull doesnt really need more than a single point so put points literally anywhere else first.

Give shockwave the lifting option at 6 points
Give singularity the explosive option

• Locked thread