Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LeJackal posted:

Buddy Thunderstruck is pretty explicitly coded as gay.

Oh wow, you're not wrong.

I'm going to have to check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, you're not wrong.

I'm going to have to check this out.

I can't... follow this?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pick posted:

I can't... follow this?

Looks like excerpts from S1E11, "A Bro for Weaselbrat" .

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I gotta get around to that show :o

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

I gotta get around to that show :o

Same.

I love the little puppets every time I've seen them in action.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok watching now.

Is... is this what real america is like?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

Same.

I love the little puppets every time I've seen them in action.

Your face?

Hedrigall posted:

Ok watching now.

Is... is this what real america is like?

Sadly not as many truck racing dogs, but yes, mostly.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Sadly not as many truck racing dogs, but yes, mostly.

Boo reality, booooo

Omg, Darnell is voiced by Joxer from Xena :3:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Guys for the love of god go see 'Your Name' right the gently caress now it totally lives up to the hype.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Al-Saqr posted:

Guys for the love of god go see 'Your Name' right the gently caress now it totally lives up to the hype.

Agree completely, do we have a thread for this movie yet? I can't seem to find one

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I missed it, it was in cinemas here last November. Anywhere on streaming to watch?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I missed it, it was in cinemas here last November. Anywhere on streaming to watch?

it's out in major cinemas right now I think go find out!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Al-Saqr posted:

You clearly didn't read what I just said!!!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

He's in Australia

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not by choice or desire

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Australia is where all the undesirables and threats to humanity tend to end up.

So maybe by design.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Unmature posted:

I wanted to talk about gay cartoons for a second and I always wanna talk about gay cartoons and there aren't enough gay cartoons. Let's talk about gay cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC11j6_J7ME

EDIT: I also just watched that CN short about the monster kid that was shared here and am in love with it. I could totally see a whole show about a kid who's different and just doesn't let that get in the way. It has a very Steven Universe message of just be friends with everyone.

This was really good! As someone mentioned, Lexington is canonically gay too.

I'm curious as to which of the Eds is supposedly gay?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

This was really good! As someone mentioned, Lexington is canonically gay too.

I'm curious as to which of the Eds is supposedly gay?

Thank you! The Eds thing was a joke, but you could probably make a convincing argument about any one of them.

EDIT: But Plank was clearly playing for both teams

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Australia is where all the undesirables and threats to humanity tend to end up.
and me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to go see Your Name but I'm just not finding the time. Truth told I'll just wait until it hits Netflix or iTunes Store.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I want to go see Your Name but I'm just not finding the time. Truth told I'll just wait until it hits Netflix or iTunes Store.

Please, PLEASE try to find the time and go watch it in the cinema, it's completely worth it. It's loving art is incredible and really ought to be seen on a giant HD screen in a cinema.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah, Your Name has some of the best drawn backgrounds and animated character acting I've ever seen. Super worth seeing it on the big screen. I had watched it like a month earlier at home and it was like seeing a whole new movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really like this style of background. Is there a name for the style of having watercolory backgrounds with normal things in the foreground?

And you.

And Hedrigall.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 15, 2017

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Boo reality, booooo

Omg, Darnell is voiced by Joxer from Xena :3:

So what did you think? Catch all the episodes?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

So what did you think? Catch all the episodes?

All of them? :shepface:

Nah I can't binge stuff. Mix of ADD and having a life :smugdog: I watched the first episode (which was two episodes in 1! Like the nicktoons of my youth!)

It was pretty good but not quite rushing to the top of my (very long) to-watch list.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

And Hedrigall.

I don't get it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is Your Name English dubbed or subtitled?

That will make a big difference on if I can convince my wife to go see it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The places I've seen have both (though down here dubbed showings were pretty limited), but it might vary by theater.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ConfusedUs posted:

Is Your Name English dubbed or subtitled?

That will make a big difference on if I can convince my wife to go see it.

Theaters have both. My theater had two showings for the dub and two for the sub per day.

But yeah, I caught it on Tuesday and it is very good. The animation is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and the plot actually takes a few twists that I wasn't expecting at all. It's very well done, and like other said I'd try to catch it on the big screen if you can.

I saw the sub, it seemed like a pretty good sub except for the parts that don't lend well to non-Japanese speakers (there's a scene in the beginning where there's a teacher explaining how to say "twilight" and it makes barely any sense in English) and the editor definitely Ctrl+F'ing "sake" to make sure it says "saké," even in the one time where it should be "sake."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also a joke about first-person pronouns that doesn't get translated super well in the dub, but these things happen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Theaters have both. My theater had two showings for the dub and two for the sub per day.

But yeah, I caught it on Tuesday and it is very good. The animation is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and the plot actually takes a few twists that I wasn't expecting at all. It's very well done, and like other said I'd try to catch it on the big screen if you can.

I saw the sub, it seemed like a pretty good sub except for the parts that don't lend well to non-Japanese speakers (there's a scene in the beginning where there's a teacher explaining how to say "twilight" and it makes barely any sense in English) and the editor definitely Ctrl+F'ing "sake" to make sure it says "saké," even in the one time where it should be "sake."

Yeah, i don't know why they decided against just translating it as "twilight" when that already has those exact same connotations in English. I haven't seen the dub yet, but i'm going to assume they did in that version.

Anyway, it's good and if you like animation it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen if possible.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also a joke about first-person pronouns that doesn't get translated super well in the dub, but these things happen.

I thought those jokes transferred well enough. I asked my girlfriend who knows nothing about how Japanese works and she said she got them. She has learned other languages, though, but so has probably everyone.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I didn't mention the pronoun one because I thought they did it pretty well, but I thought the twilight example was just nonsense.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, the alternative, right now, is to either talk about TV shows (as we have been doing) or to talk about Boss Baby, as if anyone in here is going to go see Boss Baby.

I'm being 100% sincere right now with you, you need to watch Boss Baby. It is off the wall insane from second one and never relents. It's deeply loving psychotic. A must watch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nothing will get me to watch that, ever

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Boss Baby looks like it would be the thing to watch moments before dropping a toaster into your bath.

Hedrigall posted:

Nothing will get me to watch that, ever
Noooo who took your lion away?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Boss Baby looks like it would be the thing to watch moments before dropping a toaster into your bath.

Noooo who took your lion away?

I dunno, some mean goon :(

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is that the star of jude but it says Yiff

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is that the star of jude but it says Yiff

Looks more like "Yiffy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted: