Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Are you still stuck with one use of the electric chair per day in the final dungeon? Cuz that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Who had the loving hard-on for the mouse sections and how the gently caress did they convince everyone to put so many of these loving things in.

They're so bad It's unreal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ChaosArgate posted:

Who had the loving hard-on for the mouse sections and how the gently caress did they convince everyone to put so many of these loving things in.

It was me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I didn't really mind it since I expected annoying bullshit in the last dungeons for smt games anyway. It's a walk in the park compared to other stuff. At one point I thought it was going to have one way doors or teleports or both.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 15, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

VHGS posted:

I might have misread a kanji because this game uses a pretty weird font, but:
Okay, it's pretty clear what's going on here. The localisation team might have arguably misplaced a single comma, Kotaku is trying to make something out of nothing, and Twitter is a poor venue for a nuanced discussion of etymology.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Marogareh posted:

I didn't really mind it since I expected annoying bullshit in the last dungeons for smt games anyway. It's a walk in the park compared to other stuff. At one point I thought it was going to have one way doors or teleports or both.

It's less painful than the last dungeon of Apocalypse at least.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Deified Data posted:

The first stage of palace 3 (Kaneshiro's Bank absolutely demolished me.

And the thing is none of it was hard, but I got so profoundly unlucky so many times it felt like my party had a -25% accuracy modifier while the enemy had +25% to criticals (on the protag). I was prepared, properly leveled, recently fused decent Personae, and none of that stopped me from dying more to random crits than I did against the first 2 bosses combined. Sometimes the game just decides to push your poo poo in.

It's the first time the game rolls out shadows with AoE on mass, quite often on physically-resistant enemies with few if any weaknesses. Forget is your best friend here (and is surprisingly useful for much of the game).

Palace 5 though can go die in a goddamn fire though being an obnoxious chore from start to finish. You don't even get a proper boss fight at the end.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 15, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
On the flipside of my Lucifer griping tho it owns how I had a hard time building a couple of the party members in this game because they had more than 8 good abilities

Like Haru in particular comes to mind in this regard

slev
Apr 6, 2009

These skills that only work when surrounded seem like the most useless things

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wizard on a water slide posted:

On the flipside of my Lucifer griping tho it owns how I had a hard time building a couple of the party members in this game because they had more than 8 good abilities

Like Haru in particular comes to mind in this regard

Yeah; Haru, Makoto, Ann and Morgana are all squeezed for skill slots pretty hard.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Are you still stuck with one use of the electric chair per day in the final dungeon? Cuz that sucks.

Yes. Yes it does.
I made a Concentrate skill card and then saw Mjolnir was an option from itemizing Thor, but Igor's like "Hold on dude we have to wait until tomorrow to do that" even though it was the last day of the game :(

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Palace 7 It makes sense in the narrative and that you're in hiding, but i'd really wish they'd give you an extra activity slot since you're not going to school

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The small amount of skill slots on party members is an unfortunate choice, because didn't TMS let everyone have like a bunch of skills on top of a bunch of passive skill on top of a bunch of follow-up skills (a system I probably like better than baton pass to be honest)? I guess when they reversed the TMS back to SMT they reversed their innovations as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was wondering how a Confidant from the future would power you up in the past and it turns out it doesn't!

Giving you Judgement early is just a cruel tease!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, TMS used what was essentially the Magatama system plus the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance system. Weapons had a series of skills they could teach the person who could equip 'em, and there were differences between Active/Passive/Follow-Up skills.

also TMS was secretly very good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
On the bright side, I'm pretty sure Anubis is like the only Judgment Persona you can get before you're caught up anyway, it's a really high level arcana

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bogart posted:

Yeah, TMS used what was essentially the Magatama system plus the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance system. Weapons had a series of skills they could teach the person who could equip 'em, and there were differences between Active/Passive/Follow-Up skills.

also TMS was secretly very good

TMS was unplayable to me because they didn't bother to even sub the battle dialogue, it was such a lazy and cheap decision on the part of the translation team that it really put me off the whole game. That's my dark confession, thanks

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just had (romanced) Temperance over to make coffee for me, then brought another girl up to my room for the rank 10 romance scene. Not awkward at all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

No Mods No Masters posted:

TMS was unplayable to me because they didn't bother to even sub the battle dialogue, it was such a lazy and cheap decision on the part of the translation team that it really put me off the whole game. That's my dark confession, thanks

I'm sorry that was enough to put you off. They aren't saying anything important. Basically what they say in P5. NICE SHOT, QUEEN! WELL DONE, TSUBASA. NOW IT'S MY TURN!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Man, at endgame, the real Igor sounds so much closer to the original. Like, still not really like the original, but closer than Yaldabaoth.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Palace 7

WTF do I do in this mouse maze? I found the deactivate statue button but it's in a inescapable dead end

Also, you know those dungeons in RPGs where the battle and victory music is replaced by the dungeon's theme? This should have been one of those times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So how are people speccing their skills for their party members? Any pro tips would be appreciated. I just finished the 4th palace and plan to do the following:

Morgana - Garudyne, Magarudyne, Salvation, Wind Amp, Wind Boost, Evade Elec
Then pick 2 of Diarahan, Mediarahan, Miracle Punch. Maybe Masukunda?

Ryuji - Ziodyne, Maziodyne, God’s Hand, Agneyastra, Matarukaja, Shock Boost, Charge, Evade Wind

Ann - Agidyne, Incineration, Concentrate, Fire Amp, Fire Boost, Evade Ice
Then pick 2 of Diarahan, Matarunda or Tentarafoo

Yusuke - Bufudyne, Mabufudyne, Vorpal Blade, Deadly Fury, Evade Fire, High Counter, Masukukaja
Brave Blade Or Rainy Death.

Makoto - Atomic Flare, Mafreidyne, Mediarahan, Energy Shower, Nuke Amp, Nuke Boost, Evade Psy
Pick either Diaharan or Marakukaja or Dekunda.

Haru - Mapsiodyne, Triple Down, One-Shot Kill, Sharpshooter, Weak Spot Aim, Tetrakarn, Makarakarn, Evade Nuke

Goro - Kougaon, Eigaon, Mahamaon, Mamudoon, Megidolaon, Megaton Raid, Debilitate
Pick either Samarecarm or Resist Ailment

So how often do enemies debuff or is Dekunda worth taking on Makoto?
And is Heat Riser worth taking on Haru?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just started the second palace and discovered something interesting by accident: if you hold R2 to dash, you'll automatically perform any actions as they come up. So you can just run straight through and not have to keep pressing X to jump/climb/whatever. Neat!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh man, post dungeon 5 spoilers: Futama's Mad Hatter Hat Plus Bunny Ears is just too strong

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Made it to the end of the 7th palace, holy poo poo that was an intense way to close off the infiltration route, even if the last mini-boss there wasn't anything special.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Made it to the end of the 7th palace, holy poo poo that was an intense way to close off the infiltration route, even if the last mini-boss there wasn't anything special.

It almost makes all those hallway mouse mazes worth it. Almost.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Just started the second palace and discovered something interesting by accident: if you hold R2 to dash, you'll automatically perform any actions as they come up. So you can just run straight through and not have to keep pressing X to jump/climb/whatever. Neat!

You can hold X and not run. I had a gently caress up happen when I held R2 and Joker jumped off a ledge in front of red enemies.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
That's not a gently caress up, that's called a stylish entrance

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Man, even on NG+, merciless mode doesn't mess around. Ann's been straight up destroyed a few times already, and I'm only at the end of the first palace.

On the other hand, it's kinda offset by the part where Joker's a walking god of death.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Getting the 250 line trophy is so easy now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Im trying to resummon a persona but my capacity is full, are executions the only way to make room? Sorry I'm still really early in.

E: Oh wait yeah I see it, I'm dumb.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 15, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Im trying to resummon a persona but my capacity is full, are executions the only way to make room? Sorry I'm still really early in.

if you go to your persona menu and hit startoptions you can delete them.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Man, at endgame, the real Igor sounds so much closer to the original. Like, still not really like the original, but closer than Yaldabaoth.

He sounds exactly like Mr. Burns. I know original Igor had the same quality, but this one sounds like he's voiced by Harry Shearer himself.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Finally finished the game clocked in at 115 hours on Hard. Fantastic game overall and great ending: Pillage Him, Satanael!

Also I have to say, the this is the first silent MC that I've ever felt had a pretty solid personality + connection with the characters and the world around him. Probably a product of the game being so drat long + having consistently great, non-vanilla responses.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why does she say milady like that :gonk:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The final calling card is something special.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've been messing around with skill cards on NG+ to make Arsene less lovely (because I loving love his design and want to keep him around), but all his stat points seem to be going to Agility so I don't think this is going to work out too well. Obviously he was never going to turn out super amazing, but I expected some more stat gains in other areas. To be fair though, not being hugely strong in a fight but being able to dodge everything fits Arsene's style perfectly.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Relin posted:

why does she say milady like that :gonk:

PERRRRRSONNNNA

I chalk it up to being trained by Morgana

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SMT was a good game until you got the full team, then it became a unbearable slog where every turn seemed to take like a full minute to go through due to the chain system and it's not like they did much damage anyway.

It was kinda poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Post-Dungeon 5 spoilers: The hardest thing for me to suspend my disbelief about in this entire game about magical gods and monsters that are spawned from the sea of human souls that you can tame with your soul of a rebel is that Mishima hasn't been doxxed yet.