Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Has anyone noticed if they have planets with the "Extensive Moon System" modifier that have no actual moons?

I'm trying to add modifiers that involve moons and planetary rings but it looks like the planetary modifier triggers aren't working.

has_moon = yes/no
num_moons > 0
has_ring = yes/no

neither of these are working, the planetary modifier generation on map initialisation seems to ignore these now. I'm wondering if my mod broke these in some way or if anyone else is seeing the Extensive Moon System on planets without moons. Would like to confirm it's not just me before making a bugreport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MShadowy posted:

Yeah, limits on the number of available traditions you could pick would probably help make the traditions system feel more meaningful--more options per tree probably wouldn't hurt either. Off the top of my head 3, maybe 4 trees at most, after which I guess just being able to directly unlock ascension perks might work.
Lock to four, have a bunch more options per traditions, each tree grants an ascensions on buying the final tier of the tree tree and a second ascension on filling out the tree completely?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Right, just released my overharvesting mod: here on the workshop.

Description is:

quote:

Ever wanted to play a devouring horde of galactic locusts, that sweep across the galaxy leaving nothing but burnt-out husks in their wake? Or how about just playing as wasteful, environmentally unfriendly consumerists who push their worlds beyond their limits in order to get an edge?

Sustainability.
Overharvest adds a new policy option, Sustainability, with three possible settings, that can be used by both you and the AI:
  • Sustainable Development No bonuses or penalties.
    Only option available to Environmentalists or Conservational species.
  • Overharvesting +10% Food/Energy/Minerals
    Creates an unremovable tile blocker on each planet on average once every 24 months.
    Default policy for Nomadic or Wasteful species
  • Extreme overharvesting +20% Food/Energy/Minerals
    Creates an unremovable tile blocker on each planet on average once every 12 months.
    Default policy for Nomadic, Wasteful species
Tile blockers will appear on uninhabited tiles first, even overwriting other blockers, but eventually they'll fill up your entire planet... and when they do, it'll switch to an uninhabitable world/broken ringworld section/destroyed habitat. If the planet had a spaceport, you'll receive a roughly 50% refund on it.

Balance
This is a first draft, so if you discover the bonuses are too much/not enough, I'm open to feedback!

My rough working: The average lifetime of a tile on a size 15 fully overharvested world is going to be about ~150 years, so a +20% bonus will probably clock in at about 1000 extra food/minerals/energy over its lifetime. Conversely, a fully-upgraded building destroyed by a blocker will probably waste about 300 minerals worth of investment. Does the ~+700 balance the cost of losing pops/unique buildings and having terrible, unproductive planets in the lategame dragging up tech and unity costs? I'm tempted to up the buff for extreme overharvesting.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Back Hack posted:

So in other words I'm totally hosed. :v:

No, the Unbidden are kind of easy to defeat.

Spoiler in case you want to find it out yourself: They come out of a dimensional portal, and once you destroy it they can't get anymore reinforcement. The portal itself doesn't have that much hp and is not too hard to headshot by dropping a 20k fleet straight on top of it

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

No, the Unbidden are kind of easy to defeat.

Spoiler in case you want to find it out yourself: They come out of a dimensional portal, and once you destroy it they can't get anymore reinforcement. The portal itself doesn't have that much hp and is not too hard to headshot by dropping a 20k fleet straight on top of it

This isn't really the case any more. You have to kill all the anchors before attacking the portal, and the portal has about 2.5m HP. While you're killing it all the Unbidden fleets will pop back to say hello.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Crazycryodude posted:

They don't like you settling tomb worlds, disturbing the graves of the dead and all that. The ocean world is a bit weird, but I guess you could handwave it as a punishment for breaking the no tomb worlds rule.

Horizon Signal spoilers: They also get mad at you for inhabiting the tomb worlds the end of this mod creates. While they say it's about disturbing the dead still, one can imagine a number of other reasons why they'd be mad at you for not vacating the area forever. :v:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Talkie Toaster posted:

Description is:

Nice, well done! Does the unremovable nature of the blockers persist through terraforming? Also have you done any testing to see how the AI handles it? I have humans set up in my games as Nomadic, Adaptive and Wasteful, so I imagine there'd be fun times ahead.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Reveilled posted:

I feel like Fallen Empires awaken way too early in the game based on fleet power. In the last four games I've played (split over this patch and the last), one FE has awoken before the crisis in every single one.

This kind of bugs me because an Awakened Empire is a way bigger threat to the galaxy than the crises because the crises Empires take a while to get rolling, whereas the Awakened Empires go from 0-100 right away. It often takes a while to build up to take on an Awakened Empire if they awaken early on, but once you've done that you have a huge fleet that then trivialises whatever crisis then shows up about thirty years later.

I feel like awakening needs to come much later, with a corresponding further boost in the threat level of the AE.

Alternately, make it less punishing to spend a while as one of their vassals. I honestly I look forward to the Xenophobe FE waking up because it's nearly advantageous. Oh, I can't settle new worlds, whatever, but I can totally take them from anyone else. The Xenophiles I can't imagine wanting to sign up with.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

OwlFancier posted:

The game doesn't give you research instantly, from any source, this caught me out initially. The game adds research points you gain from stuff to a stored pool, and then feeds them out to you at the same rate you normally generate them.

Essentially, bonus research points double your research rate, until you run out of them. If you hover over the research point incomes it will tell you how many you have stored, this is also what happens to points you earn between picking techs, it banks them until you pick and then runs them out at double speed, which is why your research might suddenly double in time because when you picked it, you had a few points banked.

Yeah, this was what was happening, thanks. It caught me out a bit.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GunnerJ posted:

Alternately, make it less punishing to spend a while as one of their vassals. I honestly I look forward to the Xenophobe FE waking up because it's nearly advantageous. Oh, I can't settle new worlds, whatever, but I can totally take them from anyone else. The Xenophiles I can't imagine wanting to sign up with.

The one time I signed up with the Xenophiles was as part of a Xenophile-Xenophobe war in heaven where the Xenophiles were my next door neighbours and I controlled about 25% of the galaxy already. The unbidden showed up during the war, pushing everyone's relations from "mutual threats" up massively, so the minute we defeated the Xenophobes and freed their thralls literally every single one joined the League of Non-Aligned Powers, as had every independent empire. As soon as the Xenophobes went down I turned around and declared war on my masters, and after they were gone every one of their signatories immediately signed up to the League too, as did I. Then with the enire galaxy united as a single federation, we smashed the Unidden.

In the end, the Xenophiles got their dream of galactic peace, it just required their deaths to achieve it.

More to your point though, I think there does need to be more of a flesh on the bones of being an AE vassal. It'd be nice if there were events which revolved around trying to form a secret coalition to declare independence, or plotting to wipe out the leadership of the AE, or other CK2-esque sorts of things.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Somehow related question, is the federation distance modifier still in?
Had a game in 1.4 ruined since my plan was to liberate everyone and invite them to my federation afterwards. Once the federation grew too large, members on the other side of the federation's space stopped accepting new nations since they were too far away :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fart Cannon posted:

this sure is a thing

Well technically they're uploaded xenos, not AI:

end of the Limbo quest chain

Something I find harder to explain, though - what do y'all need food for?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

Somehow related question, is the federation distance modifier still in?
Had a game in 1.4 ruined since my plan was to liberate everyone and invite them to my federation afterwards. Once the federation grew too large, members on the other side of the federation's space stopped accepting new nations since they were too far away :(

Unfortunately yes. However, the AI seems much more proactive about inviting people now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Talkie Toaster posted:

Description is:

The fact that you didn't capitalize the second words in the various titles there triggers me on some sad, pathetic level.

The mod itself is brilliant.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Description is:

Sounds great, though I'm a bit confused by some of the wording; both Overharvesting and Extreme Overharvesting are defaults for the same civic types?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does xenophile mean you are loving?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Decrepus posted:

Does xenophile mean you are loving?

Yes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Sounds great, though I'm a bit confused by some of the wording; both Overharvesting and Extreme Overharvesting are defaults for the same civic types?

One seems to be for people with either of them, and the other for both of them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ulmont posted:

The real answer is ([+25% of base current research cost] / [number of months it's been taking you to research]), but I should have just said "two." Doing the math again:

First level techs all cost 360. This will take, at the beginning, around 53 months to complete.

Each planet gives +10%, each population [over 10] +1%, so assume each extra size-15 planet yields +25% research cost.

So that first level tech now costs +90, or 450 total. But you have around 50 months to do it in. That means you need just under 2 extra points in a category to even out, or 2 level 1 labs.

If you start cranking up your baseline research, you'll need more for each additional planet to compensate, but the key thing to remember here is that you don't need to get +25% research per month for each new planet, but more like (+25% / number of months it's been taking you).

Your calculation is right, in a sense, but your summery of "two" isn't really accurate. An increase in the base amount of research you're already doing will have a corresponding increase in the amount you have to chuck into new labs if you grab a new world.

Lets take a look at my current empire. I have 3 planets (so two colonies) and 44 pops. There's a 54% cost increase currently. My average current research per month is ~40. That puts a base time of 9 months to research a tier 1 tech, 13.86 with my increases from pops/planets. We'll ignore multipliers because those cancel out when comparing across expansion.

If I want to grab a new planet with enough space for 15 pops that's another 25% so 79% total increase. So that tier 1 tech will now cost 644.4 points. To get that done in the same amount of time (13.86 months) I'd have to increase my tech output to 46.49, a ~6.5 increase which would be 6-7 basic labs.

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)

Talkie Toaster posted:

Description is:

Is there any weighting for how full of pops a planet is in the calculation for how long it takes for a tile blocker to be added? The more a planet is worked the more quickly a blocker would generate, i would think.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Can't you use rally points for this? New ships always go to the closest rally point. They check for fleet rallies first, if you don't have any of those then they check for planets.

When you have more than one fleet the rally system kind of falls apart.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Back Hack posted:

When you have more than one fleet

I see your problem.

Doom blob forever!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I have one blob fleet, I use it as the rally point. Once I've got two ore more fleets, I use a planet only for the rally, and rotate damaged fleets back there to bring them up to my OCD unit count.

Of note: if you are using a planetary rally point, and there is a fleet in orbit, new-built ships that go to that rally point will join the orbiting fleet. So I can just tell my damaged fleet to return home, queue the replacement ships, and if the fleet arrives before the new ships, I don't even have to do any merging.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Had the Blorg SA come check out my WIP ring world. That was a nice touch.

Also holy poo poo the Enigmatic Fortress tech is reward is good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
So, now that hive minds are a thing... what happens if they run into the Horizon Signal event chain?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Reveilled posted:

Nice, well done! Does the unremovable nature of the blockers persist through terraforming? Also have you done any testing to see how the AI handles it? I have humans set up in my games as Nomadic, Adaptive and Wasteful, so I imagine there'd be fun times ahead.
Nope, the idea is that if you catch the planets before too late you can rescue them from total environmental collapse. I think technically overharvesting, abandoning somehow then terraforming *might* be more efficient than not terraforming but I don't think so. It doesn't look like I can increase the terraforming cost per-planet or block it for overharvested planets, unfortunately.
Haven't extensively tested how the AI handles it- I do know it will sometimes generate Wasteful/Nomadic races that try to play tall and they'll be doomed in the long run.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fact that you didn't capitalize the second words in the various titles there triggers me on some sad, pathetic level.
Ah, I'll fix that.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

One is either trait, one is both traits.

IDOLA posted:

Is there any weighting for how full of pops a planet is in the calculation for how long it takes for a tile blocker to be added? The more a planet is worked the more quickly a blocker would generate, i would think.
Nope, flat per planet. If it was per pop in order to get a roughly 100-150 year productive lifetime for planets you'd end up with a long tail where the planet was nearly useless (down to 2-3 pops) but would take hundreds of years to be totally destroyed.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just had the start of a great game cockblocked by the draconian ironman system.

I got vassalised by a massively superior empire in the first few years, and remember that means no colonisation outside your existing territory (I had none). I got some decent asteroid mining going via a frontier outpost, but no hope of catching up to my overlord.

Then my explorers found some distant, pristine worlds in the shadow (just outside the firing range) of the enigmatic fortress. I decided to build colony ships and abandon my homeworld, declaring independence and fleeing into unexplored space.

Except - the influence requirement to settle the new worlds was over the influence cap, and even if not it would take like 20 years to generate the amount required. And because it was goddamn ironman I couldn't even console it in, like any decent DM would have allowed. Due to the draconian save system I couldn't even turn ironman off in the save file.

Battlestar Galactica experience ruined :(

Also I was playing as the Radchaai from Ancillary Justice, so now I'm gonna drink some tea and sulk aristocratically

Tldr never use ironman, just don't reload.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strategic Tea posted:

Except - the influence requirement to settle the new worlds was over the influence cap, and even if not it would take like 20 years to generate the amount required. And because it was goddamn ironman I couldn't even console it in, like any decent DM would have allowed. Due to the draconian save system I couldn't even turn ironman off in the save file.

I mean, not going to ruin your rant, but if you're playing Utopia the answer to this situation is literally at the top of the Expansion tradition tree.

(but I don't play ironman either)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Strategic Tea posted:

Tldr never use ironman, just don't reload.

Ironman is a no-reloads, one save only, no console mode? I've never used it.

Edit: and it does something funky with the save so you can't turn it off?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Strudel Man posted:

It's athematic for a supremacist race, though. A caste system is but a step away from citizenship.

Domestic servants are an odd implementation, too. They suck at almost everything, and don't really seem like they should be assigned to work tiles at all.

Since they removed purging/emancipating particular pops it seems like every form of slavery except caste system is inferior. If I want to give each of my human planets a Mantisperson butler I have to set their entire species, including their planets full of Mantispeople, to domestic servitude, rendering 90% of their population useless.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wow, the fleet power on an avatar seems, uh...not the most accurate. Says it's 16k, but when I set it out by itself it got completely clowned by a 3k fleet next to a 1k space station.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Talkie Toaster posted:

Nope, the idea is that if you catch the planets before too late you can rescue them from total environmental collapse. I think technically overharvesting, abandoning somehow then terraforming *might* be more efficient than not terraforming but I don't think so. It doesn't look like I can increase the terraforming cost per-planet or block it for overharvested planets, unfortunately.
Haven't extensively tested how the AI handles it- I do know it will sometimes generate Wasteful/Nomadic races that try to play tall and they'll be doomed in the long run.
Ah, I'll fix that.
One is either trait, one is both traits.
Nope, flat per planet. If it was per pop in order to get a roughly 100-150 year productive lifetime for planets you'd end up with a long tail where the planet was nearly useless (down to 2-3 pops) but would take hundreds of years to be totally destroyed.

Do the barren worlds have the terraformable modifier?

And, what happens if people just alternate between 10% overharvesting and sustainable before any tiles get ruined? Can you just keep doing that, 19 years of overharvesting with 10 years of normal harvesting in between them?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Wow, the fleet power on an avatar seems, uh...not the most accurate. Says it's 16k, but when I set it out by itself it got completely clowned by a 3k fleet next to a 1k space station.

I discovered this too. Seems like it's a high damage low HP glass cannon.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Avatar only has, what, 4 guns? They're big motherfuckers that will wreck your day but there's still only 4, they fire slow, and probably have poo poo accuracy. I think it works best as a supplement to a more rounded fleet rather than trying to solo enemies. Like how the Dreadnought can get eaten alive by torpedo corvettes 1/10th its fleetpower so you need to use it right.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

GotLag posted:

Ironman is a no-reloads, one save only, no console mode? I've never used it.

Edit: and it does something funky with the save so you can't turn it off?

Pro tip if you want to savescum ironman mode just kill the game process.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Aethernet posted:

I discovered this too. Seems like it's a high damage low HP glass cannon.
Its cannons are also bad against shields, I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

That's quite normal actually for any fleet with numerical disparity. Having more ships often makes you noticeably more survivable against few, large ships. Especially if your guns keep spreading out their fire against enemy shields.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started my first utopia game as a bunch of pacifist spiritualist egalitarian catpeople with high ideals and agrarian idyll.

Early surveys showed only pretty lovely 13 tile worlds around me, thinking about restating when I stumble upon a gaia world! Jackpot!

Of course as soon as I send a colony ship it turns out that I spawned next door to a FE that loves its gaia worlds the uncolonized way and they hate me now. Guess I am restarting after all.

I am a bit confused with all the new options, can anybody guide me to the best setup to create a science focused empire (is materialist a forced choice for that? Are there any powergaming choices to make? I am kinda bad at the game so tell me how to roflstomp the ai please)

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Crazycryodude posted:

The Avatar only has, what, 4 guns? They're big motherfuckers that will wreck your day but there's still only 4, they fire slow, and probably have poo poo accuracy. I think it works best as a supplement to a more rounded fleet rather than trying to solo enemies. Like how the Dreadnought can get eaten alive by torpedo corvettes 1/10th its fleetpower so you need to use it right.

hah this is great info to have, just started a new game and the dreadnought is right next door to me. How many torp corvettes would it take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TorakFade posted:

Of course as soon as I send a colony ship it turns out that I spawned next door to a FE that loves its gaia worlds the uncolonized way and they hate me now. Guess I am restarting after all.

Check Gaia Worlds for names. If they sound fancy, they're some FE's baby. If they're [System Name] [number] they're fine.

Edit: I have now become intensely curious whether FEs get pissed if you kill one of their Gaia worlds with a Dyson Sphere.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread