Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

New testament would be extremely storygamey. You'd go on pilgrimages and do good works, get tested and persecuted, and if you stand strong in your faith you'd be rewarded in the Kingdom of Heaven (usually because you'd be dead). Characters would be humble but capable of great miracles.

Old testament would actually have more freewheeling adventure in it, since the BCE era Judaism believed in monsters, there were lots of wars, and solving your problems with violence was not only allowed, it was encouraged. Characters would be brash, even boastful, and while they'd rarely wield divine power they'd frequently have supernatural attributes like great strength or wisdom.

Hell the new testament even has some random guy going around and rebuking demonic possession in the name of jesus. and jesus was pretty ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Hell the new testament even has some random guy going around and rebuking demonic possession in the name of jesus. and jesus was pretty ok with it.

It also has a professional wizard get trounced and several major setting npcs get offes by mundane weapons or implements so it cares about martial/magic balance.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kwyndig posted:

That's neat. I've never bothered with Burning Wheel simply because the author's pretentious wizard style of social media interaction turns me off.

Yeah, I'm not going to defend Luke Crane's deliberate obtuseness. He's a pretty chill guy in person, I'm told, but he sure doesn't come across that way anywhere outside his own (now dead) forum.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's an ongoing kickstarter for Dungeon Crawl Classics to get a Lankhmar setting book.

As someone for whom the word Lankhmar doesn't really mean anything, what's the elevator pitch for that setting?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

As someone for whom the word Lankhmar doesn't really mean anything, what's the elevator pitch for that setting?
Sword and sorcery, with a giant fantasy city as its main backdrop. Source of a lot of fantasy tropes (every big fantasy city owes a lot to Lankhmar, Thieves Guild, wererats, street of temples, etc.)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's an ongoing kickstarter for Dungeon Crawl Classics to get a Lankhmar setting book.

Everything cool in D&D is from Lankhmar or Michael Moorcock novels.

If you like Terry Pratchett, Ankh-Morpork is (or at least started out as) explicitly a parody of it

Also here's a comic that explains why you should read the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 14, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lightning Lord posted:

Good suggestions everyone. I've been eyeing some unholy cobbled together version of Runequest/Stormbringer/Pendragon/BRP as well. Also, Heroquest 2.0

I want to keep the alignments as a setting element. I know everyone hates them and all but I think they're an essential part of the cosmology of Planescape. Their problem is when they're used as some sort of hard morality code that all characters have and must adhere to, which basically nobody does, it's just an expectation that hangs over head. They're good as cosmic allegiances though. Stormbringer's Allegiance mechanic would be useful, as would Pendragon's Passions system.

There's Sig: Manual of the Primes, but it may be deeper into storygaming than what you're looking for. What are you looking to have the game focus on? What sort of play style are you looking for?

Falstaff posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to defend Luke Crane's deliberate obtuseness. He's a pretty chill guy in person, I'm told, but he sure doesn't come across that way anywhere outside his own (now dead) forum.

My one experience was unchill, but YMMV, of course.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's Sig: Manual of the Primes, but it may be deeper into storygaming than what you're looking for. What are you looking to have the game focus on? What sort of play style are you looking for?

All kinds of gaming suggestions are fine, I'll take a look at Sig. Right now it's mostly putting feelers out with friends. One guy says he likes the idea of Planescape but finds the Lady of Pain to be too close to an "unkillable DM pet NPC" for his liking so I thought I'd cook up something that only involves Sigil tangentially, or demonstrates the aspects of the city that have nothing to do with her. I'm even thinking of turning her into an urban legend that is the explanation for the disappearance of troublemakers, and why gods can't just gank Sigil that may or may not exist instead of a for sure existing being. Like, the establishment factions still use her as an excuse, people are still scared, there's lots of graffiti of her, the Dabus are still around and messing with them is a bad idea, etc.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 14, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

All kinds of gaming suggestions are fine, I'll take a look at Sig. Right now it's mostly putting feelers out with friends. One guy says he likes the idea of Planescape but finds the Lady of Pain to be too close to an "unkillable DM pet NPC" for his liking so I thought I'd cook up something that only involves Sigil tangentially, or demonstrates the aspects of the city that have nothing to do with her. I'm even thinking of turning her into an urban legend that is the explanation for the disappearance of troublemakers, and why gods can't just gank Sigil that may or may not exist instead of a for sure existing being. Like, the establishment factions still use her as an excuse, people are still scared, there's lots of graffiti of her, the Dabus are still around and messing with them is a bad idea, etc.

That shouldn't be too hard. The Lady of Pain is not really a character or even a plot device so much as just a symbol of the weirdness of Sigil. Nobody can interact with her without dying horribly anyway so if she doesn't show up, nothing really changes.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Hey, I'm trying to remember the name of a game that I think was talked about in the TG Industry thread but I'm not sure so I'll ask here:

I think the concept was you are a powerful wizard but you're also sort of a hedge wizard so you send out groups of adventurers to grab things for you. I'm not sure if you actually RP the wizard or not, or if I'm making the whole thing up in my head. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Serf
May 5, 2011

FordCQC posted:

Hey, I'm trying to remember the name of a game that I think was talked about in the TG Industry thread but I'm not sure so I'll ask here:

I think the concept was you are a powerful wizard but you're also sort of a hedge wizard so you send out groups of adventurers to grab things for you. I'm not sure if you actually RP the wizard or not, or if I'm making the whole thing up in my head. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Ars Magica kiiiiinda sounds like that?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Serf posted:

Ars Magica kiiiiinda sounds like that?

Yup, that was it, thanks!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*crying* I wanna play Ars Magica

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, that's basically Ars Magica. The Wizard PCs spend a lot of time researching and off on solo adventures, so the system has rules for a shared pool of redshirt "grog" PCs that do the grunt work and tag along on the aforementioned solo adventures.

... and now I really want to see someone apply that play model to a Star Trek RPG.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Oh hey, it seems someone is asking about misremembered RPGs. Guess I'll have a go.

A couple months ago, the F&F thread were talking about games in the vein of Torchbearer and XCrawl. One was brought up that focuses on quick chargen and dungeon building. I think the setting is something bad happened, society collapsed and now you go into nightmare dungeons to get stuff out to make money. I looked it up before and I think the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dungeon in black over a red background. I've been raking my brain for the last twenty four hours and am drawing a blank.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

This is entirely bizarre. Lady of Pain is about as far away from a "DM pet NPC" as you can get. She never makes any moral judgements and never talks to anyone ever. She never even really interacts with anyone. She mostly just exists a) to be a source of more mystery, and b) to keep the setting actually working and keeping the various factions and such in line.

People who get upset about an NPC being "unkillable" always has me looking at them warily. Especially when it's an NPC who mostly just exists to stop the shittiest kind of PC.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ProfessorCirno posted:

People who get upset about an NPC being "unkillable" always has me looking at them warily. Especially when it's an NPC who mostly just exists to stop the shittiest kind of PC.
I can kind of understand the reactionary hate for an unkillable NPC since they are in every other setting/system either the DM's pet PC from his high school D&D game poorly imported or some writer's pet PC from his high school D&D game with varying levels of quality on said import.

That said, the Lady of Pain is an NPC in only the loosest sense of the term; she's more like a force of nature with a (highly inscrutable) mind.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the LoP is more just a symbol that Planescape has A) questions that can't be answered, and B) situations you can't solve with force of arms. That being said, I ran Planescape over a year and a half and never had her show up more than twice, and never in more than a cameo. Generally she's only used sparingly and briefly if at all, unless you have good reason otherwise.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tasoth posted:

Oh hey, it seems someone is asking about misremembered RPGs. Guess I'll have a go.

A couple months ago, the F&F thread were talking about games in the vein of Torchbearer and XCrawl. One was brought up that focuses on quick chargen and dungeon building. I think the setting is something bad happened, society collapsed and now you go into nightmare dungeons to get stuff out to make money. I looked it up before and I think the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dungeon in black over a red background. I've been raking my brain for the last twenty four hours and am drawing a blank.

Into The Odd?

Yawgmoth posted:

I can kind of understand the reactionary hate for an unkillable NPC since they are in every other setting/system either the DM's pet PC from his high school D&D game poorly imported or some writer's pet PC from his high school D&D game with varying levels of quality on said import.

That said, the Lady of Pain is an NPC in only the loosest sense of the term; she's more like a force of nature with a (highly inscrutable) mind.

My players decided that she (it, they, whatever) is the only obvious part of whatever unknowable thing/reason/organisation/metagod/whatever keeps Sigil from being a battleground, and that since it seems that anyone who tries to gently caress with her/it/them - up to and including demon lords and angel kings - mysteriously disappears never to be seen again, then it's not worth worrying about. Or thinking about. At all. Really just think about anything else. Right now.

I ran with that.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 15, 2017

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Yes, that was the game. Thank you!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I somehow read what you wrote as "...the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dragon in black over a red background" and I spent 10 minutes going "That sounds like Into The Odd but there's no dragon on the cover of that".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
To be fair, "The Lady of Pain" is a name straight out of Spawn comics.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

I somehow read what you wrote as "...the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dragon in black over a red background" and I spent 10 minutes going "That sounds like Into The Odd but there's no dragon on the cover of that".

I did the same thing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlphaDog posted:

Into The Odd?

Wow, Into The Odd is p. much my favorite one shot game and I never would have guessed based on that description. Good job.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I namesearched myself on twitter for curiosity and 90% of the results are people from this forum making GBS threads on me. Can't see why the haterade to be honest.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

I namesearched myself on twitter for curiosity and 90% of the results are people from this forum making GBS threads on me. Can't see why the haterade to be honest.

it's because of the posts you do online, and the way that you post online. They've all seen the way that you post, online.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

It's because you used to be the embodiment of a fyad wannabe tryhard but you've chilled out considerably since those dark days

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

It's because you used to be the embodiment of a fyad wannabe tryhard but you've chilled out considerably since those dark days

I started taking SSRIs and working out and defeated my dreadful addiction to marijuana+cheese bread (english for pão de queijo ?) and killed my hated nemesis Larry Parrish

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It's actually still just "pćo de queijo" in the US.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

pćo de queijo owns and I miss it along with requeijćo but what I don't miss is Brazilian pizza

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big coxhina fan here

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah he pretty much read an article from an old Dragon or something and got a bad impression and has been leery for this reason ever since. He's convinced that the purpose of the Lady of Pain is to punish unruly characters who try to do anything in Sigil, and also that there's no heroism possible in Planescape and the setting is all about making characters feel small and unimportant, like it's entirely a Watchmen-style deconstruction of D&D. It's kind of amazing frankly.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be fair, the Lady does exist primarily to punish things... It's just that nobody knows what actually earns you a place on Her poo poo list.

Like the only thing I can see as being way out of character for the Lady of Pain is any direct interaction with Her being positive. The best you can hope for is being ignored.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

To be fair, the Lady does exist primarily to punish things... It's just that nobody knows what actually earns you a place on Her poo poo list.

Everyone knows that trying to take over Sigil or gently caress with the way the city works on a fundamental level gets you Mazed, which is what guarantees that none of the planar powers try to take it over. They also know that trying to worship the Lady of Pain will also get you Mazed.

Her actual motives aren't understood and it's not like there's a hard list of things that piss her off, but she's not completely unpredictable either.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Except in the Planescape book where it turns out she's a daughter of Poseidon and fled an arranged marriage before making herself into the inscrutable arbiter of Sigil. Her motives were to avoid ever going back. If I remember it right. It was like the Metroid: Other M of genre fiction. Man, they never should have written that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I should really no longer be amazed at how consistently content producers fail to understand the appeal of the poo poo they create.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

EverettLO posted:

Except in the Planescape book where it turns out she's a daughter of Poseidon and fled an arranged marriage before making herself into the inscrutable arbiter of Sigil. Her motives were to avoid ever going back. If I remember it right. It was like the Metroid: Other M of genre fiction. Man, they never should have written that.

Are you referring to the Planescape novel trilogy? Those were awful. I couldn't even finish those, at a time when I would read just about anything. Like, I finished the Moonshae and Avatar trilogies, but I just couldn't get through those.

If that's the big reveal for the books then I'm glad I had the rare good sense to bail.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

EverettLO posted:

So, are all the Planescape novels this bad? Or do any of them play with the setting in a fun way?

Also yeah, I'm not a huge fan of using the lady myself, but it's neat to have her as a cosmic force, so when you run that one module and Vecna steps into Sigil, that can be a proper "oh poo poo!" moment for the players.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moriatti posted:

So, are all the Planescape novels this bad? Or do any of them play with the setting in a fun way?

There's the Blood War trilogy, which is all about someone's bitchy mom conquering the universe. They're still bad -- we're talking about D&D tie-in fiction here after all -- but much more conventionally so than the book to which EverettLO refers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

EverettLO posted:

I don't think anyone actually reads any D&D novels that aren't Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance though, so at least almost nobody cared about Pages of Pain. The Torment novel is atrocious rubbish too. I think they just gave a list of names to the author and the general premise, it's almost entirely different.

I guess someone read the Prism Pentad because TSR felt the need to use that metaplot to gently caress around with Dark Sun instead of issuing an apology for publishing it.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread