Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It sounds like restricted mode is supposed to work on a per-video basis but the Vet Ranch guy is having videos restricted even when it's a video about looking at cute puppies.

Also, putting ammo in the microwave is actually super fun, but it's not as good as that other guy who put a bunch of .22lr in a popcorn popper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
Restricted mode also filtered out a bunch of channels centring around engineering and electronics for no apparent reason. It's like the algorithm interprets any jargon it can't understand as obsfucated swearing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

chitoryu12 posted:

Arby's has had their social media people doing nerd and video game references non-stop since September 2015, but they've succeeded and practically doubled their shares on Facebook (meaning double the attention they normally get) by doing a bunch of really creative and elaborate sculptures with food packaging.

This is brilliant and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

chitoryu12 posted:

The actual issue behind channels like Vet Ranch and Demolition Ranch getting labeled as restricted is that YouTube has been putting a lot of videos on their restricted list after changing their algorithm in the past few weeks. Gun channels are some of the most vocal recent ones to get hit, but they've also noticeably restricted a lot of benign LGBT videos and pro wrestling videos. When the videos get put on restricted, they don't appear if you turn on restricted mode on your account (like if there's a kid browsing YouTube) and thus the videos get less views and therefore less ad revenue. Smaller channels can suffer greatly from this kind of thing.

Unless it was changed recently doesn't restricting a video prevent the owner from collecting any ad revenue from it at all?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yo what up shadenbros

my channel is all about toddlers being forced into watermelons and they restricted the poo poo outta me!!! jokes on google tho, its really pumpkins

like & subscribe tia!

until next time~

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gum posted:

Unless it was changed recently doesn't restricting a video prevent the owner from collecting any ad revenue from it at all?

I looked it up and yeah, you're right. As soon as they get restricted, that revenue gets cut off completely.

They also banned channels with less than 10,000 views from joining their Partner program to make ad revenue, so I guess the schadenfreude is Google trying to torpedo itself.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My dad let me watch incredibly violent poo poo like Devilman and Guyver at the tender age of 5 and I turned out fine

Don't mind the crotch magic

Hell yeah, and Monster City and Ninja Scroll and Fist Of The North Star!

How many kids had toys from Robocop and Terminator even though those where rated 18 in the UK?

Watching Watership Down prepares you for life, man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

They also banned channels with less than 10,000 views from joining their Partner program to make ad revenue, so I guess the schadenfreude is Google trying to torpedo itself.

Yeah, Google has historically had really bad judgment about their ad products. This is just another one of their massive, company destroying financial fuckups.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mother is a huge horror movie fan, so I was exposed to Evil Dead at like 6.

She didn't have a problem with violence, but god forbid a boob came on screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whiteyfats posted:

She didn't have a problem with violence, but god forbid a boob came on screen.

:patriot:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This one is a non-issue. 10K lifetime is trivial to get, and if you have less than that you would be earning less than a dollar total from all your videos.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I looked it up and yeah, you're right. As soon as they get restricted, that revenue gets cut off completely.

The gun stuff irks me, to be sure, but what really gets me pissed is having all the GLBT stuff automatically added to the Restricted list and blanket banned from revenue. Good job making GBS threads on an already underserved minority.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

LeJackal posted:

The gun stuff irks me, to be sure, but what really gets me pissed is having all the GLBT stuff automatically added to the Restricted list and blanket banned from revenue. Good job making GBS threads on an already underserved minority.

Well history has proven that the gay community has very little in the way of consumer power so why would you advertise to them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8afErH78jQ&t=90s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdW6P5Dk3KE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I dont see any schaden there

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Granos is driving

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Get hosed, Kelvin Mackenzie.

Notoriously homophobic, former editor of the Sun newspaper here finally has something catch up with him - he compared a footballer to a gorilla in one of his columns.

A mixed race footballer.

quote:

In his column, MacKenzie wrote: “Perhaps unfairly, I have always judged Ross Barkley as one of our dimmest footballers. There is something about the lack of reflection in his eyes which makes me certain not only are the lights not on, there is definitely nobody at home.

“I get a similar feeling when seeing a gorilla at the zoo. The physique is magnificent but it’s the eyes that tell the story. So it came as no surprise to me that the Everton star copped a nasty right-hander in a nightclub for allegedly eyeing up an attractive young lady who, as they say, was ‘spoken for’.

“The reality is that at £60,000 a week and being both thick and single, he is an attractive catch in the Liverpool area, where the only men with similar pay packets are drug dealers and therefore not at nightclubs, as they are often guests of Her Majesty.”

quote:

Speaking after his suspension, MacKenzie told the Press Association: “I had no idea of Ross Barkley’s family background and nor did anybody else. For the Mayor of Liverpool and a handful of others to describe the article as racist is beyond parody.”

It's frustrating that his previous homophobia, naming of rape victims against their will, posting the addresses of gay people and encouraging people to "visit" them, etc, has gone untouched but I'm glad some form of karma has caught up with the fuckwit. I don't see him getting much more than a slap on the wrist though.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF87-djB4WE

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

poptart_fairy posted:

Get hosed, Kelvin Mackenzie.

Notoriously homophobic, former editor of the Sun newspaper here finally has something catch up with him - he compared a footballer to a gorilla in one of his columns.

A mixed race footballer.

It's frustrating that his previous homophobia, naming of rape victims against their will, posting the addresses of gay people and encouraging people to "visit" them, etc, has gone untouched but I'm glad some form of karma has caught up with the fuckwit. I don't see him getting much more than a slap on the wrist though.

How in the hell is he still working after the Hillsborough inquiry went through?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
From what I understand they did the usual thing of throwing some low level journalists under the bus, then got all stroppy and started whining about press freedom when anyone on six figures got into the limelight.

Pisses me off that the stuff the likes of Private Eye bring out doesn't get more attention.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mackenzie smiles like clarkson, like an absolute poo poo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Is the schadenfreude this new YouTube video format where a 3 second clip is looped 20 times then there's a minute of black screen and overdubed 90s jockjam music? I feel like this is intended to game some YouTube algorithm somehow.

Cops behaving badly?

You don't say?

CNN posted:

In Georgia, not one but two Gwinnett County police officers were fired less than 24 hours after cell phone videos surfaced of them punching and kicking a handcuffed motorist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The real question is why haven't the British killed their gentry yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Is the schadenfreude this new YouTube video format where a 3 second clip is looped 20 times then there's a minute of black screen and overdubed 90s jockjam music? I feel like this is intended to game some YouTube algorithm somehow.

Cops behaving badly?

You don't say?

They got fired? Impossible.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

VanSandman posted:

With what?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

They got fired? Impossible.

Commuting through Dallas every day, I often wish I could beat the poo poo out of my fellow motorists with the only consequence being brief unemployment.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

VanSandman posted:

We just leave it to natural causes, like cocaine and gout.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check it out, being white is clearly better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhne0JaAUmo

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

VanSandman posted:

Volcott posted:

With what?

Cudgels. Brickbats. Asscrack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

check it out, being white is clearly better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhne0JaAUmo

This is hilarious. *cop gives him a warning, shakes his hand* !!POLICE BRUTALITY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

When the videos get put on restricted, they don't appear if you turn on restricted mode on your account (like if there's a kid browsing YouTube) and thus the videos get less views and therefore less ad revenue. Smaller channels can suffer greatly from this kind of thing.

Boo hoo.

My personal schaden comes from the fact that months ago I emailed the guy, saying that it would be nice if he'd add some sort of skip-to-this-time-code thing to his surgery videos. Dude never got back to me and never did it, so...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I was injured by a first aid kit after grabbing a Band-Aid. Stiff latches are dangerous to fingertips.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jamfrost posted:

I was injured by a first aid kit after grabbing a Band-Aid. Stiff latches are dangerous to fingertips.

This is the good stuff, although I nearly cut my thumb while cutting up an apple so you can have from me too.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

That's how the first-aid kit racket works. You get hurt opening up your first-aid kit, so you need to use more supplies, so you need to replace it sooner.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

A mixed race footballer.

Not to defend the POS, but this is Ross Barkley:

I would have never guessed he was part black from seeing images of him.

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Apr 15, 2017

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
meant to edit not quote my post..sorry

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Autechresaint posted:

It's almost as if that makes no difference!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Autechresaint posted:

He's trans-racial, you bigot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fellblade posted:

It's almost as if that makes no difference!

Well, it does. I could get away with describing Wayne Rooney as a strategically-shaved capuchin monkey and get away with it (not that he does, he's more like an elderly baby).