Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Welp that'll learn me, thanks!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh my loving god I died at the censorship in Avalanche. That's the kind of gag they never could've done before and it's BRILLIANT. Please give us another season, Netflix. TIA.

Actually pretty sure Joel did this with an umbrella or something to cover up Kim Cattrall bathing in City Limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Bruteman posted:

Welp that'll learn me, thanks!

Actually pretty sure Joel did this with an umbrella or something to cover up Kim Cattrall bathing in City Limits.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers details from all those old episodes. I still do "This is F U N" in James Earl Jones' voice when I watch CNN.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, some people hate the reboot. I hope they still get another season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Turtlicious posted:

Wow, some people hate the reboot

Inevitable but extremely rose-colored nostalgia

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I feel like everything falls flat when they're forcefully cramming jokes into every available silence. The action sequences in Reptilicus and the beginning of Cry Wilderness are particularly bad in this respect. They need to slow down a bit and actually let the jokes hit.

Two episodes in and I'm finding more to like than dislike, though. I feel like Reptilicus was the stronger of the first two episodes and "Bulimicus!" gave me the biggest laugh so far. Sometimes it's the little things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Edit: This is what I get for trying to post from my PS Vita like 18 hours ago.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 15, 2017

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
It can be difficult to look at the show entirely on its own merit without comparing it to the original. More so when its an actual continuation and not a spiritual successor kind of deal. I know that's been a difficult thing for me to do here and on other shows/movies/games. I know that I personally also have a tendency to start nitpicking when I don't like something, even if the real problem I have with it isn't even the small stuff. The kind of stuff I can let go and ignore or just say "yeah, that part isn't great."

I don't really like what I've seen so far. They seem to want to fill dead air with jokes, and not just on the first episode. Some of them are pretty great and remind me of what I like about MST3K, Rifftrax, etc. like that Jim/Bones/Fossil Jim/Fossil Bones joke. Then there's the other 15 jokes that fell on the floor around it within 10 seconds. It gets a bit better on the other episodes I watched, but it's still kind of annoying. The writing just seems a bit... off? I just keep thinking that this seems like a fan project. Subterranean Cinema 4000! Maybe I'll like the next season better.

The voices are things I can get used to, there are plenty of things I can nitpick, :argh: differences, tom flying around, etc. I probably wouldn't care about any of that if I enjoyed the meat of the show, the riffing, more.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I stopped watching television all together when MST3K went off the air. Happy to have it back.

Currently on episode. 2:
Goddamn, that "nerdy tree that got hit in the face on a playground" line was sublime.

I'm sad there were two specific opportunities to shout ALLOVERTHEWORLD that they didn't take, but then again I'd be bummed out if they did too many callbacks to older jokes. I do hope they manage to sneak in a "go to bed, old man" since Dana Gould was on the writing team, though.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Okay they started Loves of Hercules with a Bloom County/Outland joke, my respect for them grows.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The first episode was a little rocky for me, but I think that's pretty natural for this kind of thing. Episode 2 was a whaaaat the gently caress Buffalo Rider type movie and I honestly enjoyed the movie in Episode 3. Kinda like Deadly Bees. There is a bit of overstuffing of riffs but some solid ones in there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking forward to the riff of Frankensnake Riftbeaver vs Outer Space Napalmuskrat next season.

Edit: Oh god, Ricki Ticki Tarantula...

REDjackeT posted:

I don't really like what I've seen so far. They seem to want to fill dead air with jokes, and not just on the first episode. Some of them are pretty great and remind me of what I like about MST3K, Rifftrax, etc. like that Jim/Bones/Fossil Jim/Fossil Bones joke. Then there's the other 15 jokes that fell on the floor around it within 10 seconds. It gets a bit better on the other episodes I watched, but it's still kind of annoying. The writing just seems a bit... off? I just keep thinking that this seems like a fan project. Subterranean Cinema 4000! Maybe I'll like the next season better.

I don't think it's that they are just filling every bit of dead air, it's that they sometimes have three or four jokes for short sequences (or jokes for each half second cutaway) and instead of just trimming things down, they cram all of them in and just run through them faster. It makes the delivery feel wrong.

But considering that and Tom Servo not being distinctive enough are the only two real complaints anyone seems to have about the new season, they're doing drat good.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 15, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Anyone who think Reptilicus was better than Cry Wilderness is wrong and bad because CW is now in my top 3 of all time. Holy poo poo it was hilarious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Anyone who think Reptilicus was better than Cry Wilderness is wrong and bad because CW is now in my top 3 of all time. Holy poo poo it was hilarious.

Oh, I don't know. I think there's a few people who prefer the episodes with movies like The Beginning of the End and The Giant Gila Monster, like my dad. Then there's people like me who think the incomprehensible madness of Manos: The Hands of Fate and The Wild Wild World of Batwoman are the pinnacle of MST3K. Oh, and Red Zone Cuba.

There's room for both of us.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Reptilicus was passable, but Cry Wilderness is much better. I chalk Reptilicus being not-as-good mostly up to it being a very dull movie; far duller than I remember it being.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My biggest critiques would be the pace of deliver of the jokes at times and that I don't even know who is making the joke a lot of times since some of the voices sound the same. They also should have either of just included gypsy as a full-time riffer or kept her in her previous role. I'm not really a fan of gypsy having a normal voice, but that's just me. Patton and Felicia also seem to be trying too hard.

Star crasher and cry wilderness have been my favorite episodes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Giving the Avalanche dialogue was wonderful, Cry Wilderness broke my brain and The Time Travelers, Reptilicus, and Beast from Hollow Mountain were solid. I just started Starcrash and fear my sanity is soon to flee.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I stopped watching television all together when MST3K went off the air. Happy to have it back.

Currently on episode. 2:
Goddamn, that "nerdy tree that got in the face on a playground" line was sublime.

I'm sad there were two specific opportunities to shout ALLOVERTHEWORLD that they didn't take, but then again I'd be bummed out if they did too many callbacks to older jokes. I do hope they manage to sneak in a "go to bed, old man" since Dana Gould was on the writing team, though.

They got a Drizzle, Drazzle, Druzzle, Drome in there right away in Reptilicus, though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I liked Reptilicus just fine, but the moment the new show sold me completely was Bigfoot on the lawn of that school looking like he was in the middle of an 80's music video shoot. Speed of riff doesn't turn me off, doesn't really seem any worse than watching rifftrax to me. I'm rabidly anti nostalgia though, and I'm always looking to reevaluate things I liked when I was younger, and I find I still love old MST3K, luckily, so far though I love the new one too.

On specific things, Felicia Day continues to have a track record of never giving me any reason to hate her despite being told that she is apparently the devil, she's good. Patton is great. Jonah is really good and yes more manic than the last few hosts. Crow is like an old glove, Tom is perfectly fine, though as other have said, his voice doesn't stand out from the rest of the crew as well as it used too. Gypsy has some great riffs and her new voice is great. MST3K has always changed, and I have never found reason to hate it because of that, It's back, and I love it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Capsule! Capsule! Capsule!

Yongary is shaping up to be good so far.

PS - Korean Marmaduke sucks!

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
The moment I knew this new season was working was in Cry Wilderness when the kid walks in the room with the baggy red and white shirt and medallion and Jonah starts rapping Tricky. I died.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

mangler103 posted:

The moment I knew this new season was working was in Cry Wilderness when the kid walks in the room with the baggy red and white shirt and medallion and Jonah starts rapping Tricky. I died.

That was amazing. The thing is though, I found it's really the movies that sold me initially on the show. Without Werewolf, or Pod People, or Space Mutiny, I would still like the show, but it's those too weird to exist films that they occasionally get that really let the show reach it's peak. But even then, those movies aren't enough, I could never convince anyone to watch them with me without the riffing aspect, and part of the joy is the sheer incredulity movies like Cry Wilderness inspires in people. Rifftrax, though I like it, is just not the same, often the movies are too good, and the lack of a visual aspect to the riffing results in a loss of something. It has to be a puppet show and a bad movie, either or just will not do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Time Travelers has at least two straight-up stage magic tricks. The guy changing a circle ring into a square and Danny getting disappeared in a machine. I guess that's one way to pad the runtime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh man, Time Travelers has at least two straight-up stage magic tricks. The guy changing a circle ring into a square and Danny getting disappeared in a machine. I guess that's one way to pad the runtime.

They also spend a lot of time detaching a damaged android head and attaching a new one in one take, which is a nice practical effect AND pads the film a bit.

It's not a bad film, reminded me of This Island Earth in spots, and one of the process shots felt like it was from Forbidden Planet.

Plus, Danny is so great he shows up in the next film!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jet Jaguar posted:

They also spend a lot of time detaching a damaged android head and attaching a new one in one take, which is a nice practical effect AND pads the film a bit.

It's not a bad film, reminded me of This Island Earth in spots, and one of the process shots felt like it was from Forbidden Planet.

Plus, Danny is so great he shows up in the next film!

It's weird that they were stretching so much when the big problem seems to actually be too many ideas. Time travel, generational space ship, mutants vs. scientists, androids, skeevy spas, it's too disjointed. But they had good effects for the time and the actors don't suck.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bang!

Cry Wilderness was so bad in the best possible way.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom starting strong (and that James Horner "Battle Beyond the Stars" music!)

Gotta say, for all the complaints about how rushed the riffs are, it feels like somewhere around episode 7 they started easing up a bit and they feel a little more like older era MST3K.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

PostNouveau posted:

It's weird that they were stretching so much when the big problem seems to actually be too many ideas. Time travel, generational space ship, mutants vs. scientists, androids, skeevy spas, it's too disjointed. But they had good effects for the time and the actors don't suck.

It sits with Incredibles as a good Fantastic Four movie that's not actually a Fantastic Four movie.

I discovered after the fact that MST3K cut off part of the ending. After everyone escapes into the happyish ending of living in the distant future, the movie then quickly replays itself repeatedly to emphasize the time loop. It keeps repeating faster and faster until the screen becomes that time screen static and it ends. I feel like they could have done something with that.

Shifting gears to Avalanche, I found this on IMDB:

quote:

During filming, Styrofoam was used by the special effects crew to augment the "snow effects" of the avalanche. As this was shot in the winter, it wasn't until the spring thaw that the town of Durango discovered that the Styrofoam was everywhere in town. By then the company was long gone.

Cripes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A few episodes in and wondering if they shot these chronologically because already Avalanche feels way more natural than Reptilicus, which had a kind of overbearing franticness to the riffing. I do wish they'd slow down a little, sometimes Jonah spits out a riff so fast I can barely understand what he's saying.

The grunting orange tree in Time Travellers had me crying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommaToes posted:

Is it odd that I'm looking forward to the two Gypsy riffs per episode? It's a nice bookend.

One thing I appreciate about the faux commercial breaks and the skits is that it gives you a nice metric of how far you are in the episode. It's good because sometimes you can't count on the film's pacing to clue you in on it.

I really like it. It's a fun new tradition. The invention exchange complete with Max drinking the hot water twice was completely something they would have done with Dr. F and Frank. It was goofy, homemade prop humor. Also, I laughed a lot at Uh, not without a breathalizer, Wilbur!

I hope they get another ten seasons out of this. It's already amazing, think of what they can do if they get more practice and more time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Shifting gears to Avalanche, I found this on IMDB:

:lol: Roger loving Corman, everyone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A few episodes in and wondering if they shot these chronologically because already Avalanche feels way more natural than Reptilicus, which had a kind of overbearing franticness to the riffing. I do wish they'd slow down a little, sometimes Jonah spits out a riff so fast I can barely understand what he's saying.

The grunting orange tree in Time Travellers had me crying.

I mentioned this earlier but Jonah can do rapid fire without losing enunciation. It's just his style for riffing. But, yeah, for Reptilicus they were doing the riffs so fast it was hard to keep up. It worked really well with the clock and temperature gauge joke, though.

I have a theory the first episode's riffs feel rushed because they took extra time to set up the back story. With an extra ten minutes they don't have to cram in quite so much between skits.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A They Might Be Giants reference? In MY MST3k? I am so happy. :allears:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bicyclops posted:

I hope they get another ten seasons out of this. It's already amazing, think of what they can do if they get more practice and more time.

I think "time" was definitely an issue for this season - this seems like it was a side gig for everyone on screen and quite a few of the crew behind the scenes as well. I have to imagine that the 48-hour riff recording and 1-week silhouette shoot were in-part due to trying to work around everyone's schedules outside of the show. If this season proves to be really popular and Netflix moves forward with another season (or even a multi-season) contract, perhaps it'll get a bit less rushed in those areas.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One thing I haven't mentioned is Kinga's birth of Venus entrance during the intro. :3: I hope she just stands on the platform whenever she goes somewhere and her henchman push her around to places, even when she's getting on and off spaceships.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also, I was singing the theme under my breath in a line today and stopped to =~) when I realized I just did the line "keep in mind Jonah can't control" without realizing it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Chokes McGee posted:

I mentioned this earlier but Jonah can do rapid fire without losing enunciation. It's just his style for riffing.

It makes it sound like he's desperate to get the joke out, which kinda kills the humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It makes it sound like he's desperate to get the joke out, which kinda kills the humor.

To each their own v:shobon:v