Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Supremezero posted:

Just to check and I guess make you feel bad if you happened to screw this up, did you do the 7th palace as late as possible? Because you can't do confidants (or at least party confidants) a week before a palace deadline, but you can clear that one and you'll suddenly have 5 more days of confidant time.

i did that palace, like every palace, the first day i was able to

which made a certain someone's sleepytime just a little ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I miss my main man Turdak and lament that Atlus seems to have forgotten he exists at all.

Look at this badass skeleton man. :smith:
he was in persona q

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So is there any reason not to send the seventh calling card right away?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/batsugeemu/status/853248227730239489

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Moltrey posted:

if this is telling that he'll come back in the future, then pro move atlus

Like the game has so many parts where you can really imagine they making Goro alive and in a potential remake doing stuff after his death scene, like the whole not seeing him die and the fact that his body is missing in the real world.

Also the whole thing with Ryuji almost dying but him saying he just woke up in the grass in the real world has such a big "Goro saved him" potential, and also I wouldn't suprised when in a remake or spinoff it's revealed that he had a hand in helping finding the lady that Shido assaulted to free the MC from juvie

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it bad that I want to get the P3 costume DLC solely for Aigis Morgana?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I had to blow a Soma to do it, but I cleared the whole goddamn thing in one day. It took two curries and a peck of tomatoes, I never swapped out of my A-team.

I did it in one day as well. Got through the first half of the palace and was low on SP on everyone, but figured "ehhh let's see if I can push a little more", then kept saying that, then got to the fifth letter fight with basically no SP. Was seriously relieved to make it through that and ran out to go save and then fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck, and then I beat that fight and then FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK arrrrrrgh.

I got really, really lucky with having my main character targeted with physical attacks while he was using a physical reflect persona. I was ready to use a Soma at any time but it didn't come to it!

I did, however, have to blow one in the final final boss battle. I probably should have spent more time persona breeding before that, but I made it through.

Fantastic game. It's no P4G, but then again nothing is.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It was luck that you had a physical reflect persona equipped but not luck that he was targeted because he is pretty much scripted to only target him

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sojiro wouldn't have thrown the coffee, he would have had like 5 minute diatribe about blue mountain coffee and how you're a lovely degenerate

Andrast posted:

You are not forced to play the dumb spinoff games you know.

It's still loving stupid, regardless

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Man, Makoto takes such an emotional beating from everyone before becoming a Phantom Thief. Being called a pushover by the superstar ace detective and then useless by her own sister. No wonder she looks so angry in her all out attacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Sojiro wouldn't have thrown the coffee, he would have had like 5 minute diatribe about blue mountain coffee and how you're a lovely degenerate

And then he would have thrown the coffee

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sojiro would never waste a good cup of joe like that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like that Goro is really catty to Makoto while still calling her Nijima-san

also Makoto calls him Akechi-kun while everyone even the menus call him by just Akechi like they're spitting venom

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

"No not Akechi"
"That's impossible"
"There is no way"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

jimmydalad posted:

Man, Makoto takes such an emotional beating from everyone before becoming a Phantom Thief. Being called a pushover by the superstar ace detective and then useless by her own sister. No wonder she looks so angry in her all out attacks.

akechi sucks so bad

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Futaba and Sojiro having the same facing and expressions on their "calling bullshit" cut in is great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Moltrey posted:

I like that Goro is really catty to Makoto while still calling her Nijima-san

also Makoto calls him Akechi-kun while everyone even the menus call him by just Akechi like they're spitting venom

So is the comparative lack of honorifics in this game compared to 4 where they used it in like every sentence supposed to mean this group is much closer than 4's or was it a translation

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Decius posted:

Did that just now and no, still holds up great. Dungeons nearly without gimmicks may be a bit boring, but also don't really have much annoying stuff either. Setting is still wonderfully charming, as are most characters. P4G port to Switch or PS4 please! Maybe in the female MC style of P3P (disregarding the bullshit excuse they gave for why that wouldn't work for this setting).

the thing about p4 is that it's a really cool game until you think critically about basically any single part of it, then it all sort of falls apart, it feels like a game that was done in a first/rough draft and then just put out (which is probably what happened given how fast it came out after P3 made All The Money)

a good example would be almost everything related to naoto in the entire game

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 15, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of gender choice protags or w/e they should just write the next Persona game with a female MC, but I assume that's in the same bucket as a game with an adult MC who has a day job instead of going to school as a good idea for mixing up the franchise that will prolly never happen because people are terrible

It sucks how much the creativity of big games like this, like Hollywood movies, is constrained by real or imagined market BS

Hopefully they'll use the assets from P5 to make some weird-rear end poo poo like they did during the PS2 era

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

wizard on a water slide posted:

Instead of gender choice protags or w/e they should just write the next Persona game with a female MC, but I assume that's in the same bucket as a game with an adult MC who has a day job instead of going to school as a good idea for mixing up the franchise that will prolly never happen because people are terrible

It sucks how much the creativity of big games like this, like Hollywood movies, is constrained by real or imagined market BS

Hopefully they'll use the assets from P5 to make some weird-rear end poo poo like they did during the PS2 era

Second half of Persona 2 starred Maya, a working adult woman, as the protagonist. It's something they've done before and will probably revisit at some point.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

that game also did so poorly that it (along with some other stuff) effectively killed the series for 6 years and required a soft reboot to salvage it

also it sort of ruined a cool character by making her a silent protagonist for no reason

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Motto posted:

Just wait for atlus to make you sick to death of everything p5 over the next decade.

No that's going to be persona 6 in a few years.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I do think that starring a sole female protagonist is a better way of handling it than rewriting large chunks of the game to account for a choice. P5 shows that they can manage to give even a silent protagonist a strong personality.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
(Post-7th Palace spoilers)

Honestly, even if Goro did survive, he'd still be in a pretty terrible situation, seeing as he'd likely be arrested, charged with mass murder, and then sentenced to death. (In Japan, the death penalty is handed down in roughly 79% of cases with three or more victims, and we know for a fact that he killed way more than 3 people.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is the comparative lack of honorifics in this game compared to 4 where they used it in like every sentence supposed to mean this group is much closer than 4's or was it a translation
column a, column b. The party is really loose on honorifics even in Japanese, partly because they're closer and partly because the initial party is two guys who hate societal norms and a girl that also hates societal norms and is JSL (I think? She mentions she was raised in the Netherlands, doesn't she,) and so they set the social tone for the later party members. That said, the TL does strip out some of the honorifics that are there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

column a, column b. The party is really loose on honorifics even in Japanese, partly because they're closer and partly because the initial party is two guys who hate societal norms and a girl that also hates societal norms and is JSL (I think? She mentions she was raised in the Netherlands, doesn't she,)

Finland, I think. At least she mentioned it in one of her earlier links.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Endorph posted:

girl that also hates societal norms and is JSL (I think? She mentions she was raised in the Netherlands, doesn't she,)
Don't know about the Netherlands, but she mentions spending some time in Finland due to her parents' work. She's supposed to be quarter American or something.

To be honest, when I first heard her name in the pre-release stuff, I thought she was from Finland because "Takamaki" would only need an umlaut over the last A to pass for a Finnish name.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the idea is they traveled a lot. She also mentions living in California.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Haru did 7000 damage to the palace 7 boss with one One Shot Kill on Safe mode :lol:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I think the idea is they traveled a lot. She also mentions living in California.

So just to summarize and finish this whole line of thought, she's a quarter Japanese, some amount Finnish, and presumably some amount american whose parents are fashion designers from Finland (this is how she got into modeling in the first place; she subbed in for a model at a fashion show of her parent's stuff). She travels because Fashion Designers travel, presumably.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She's a quarter American.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Haru did 7000 damage to the palace 7 boss with one One Shot Kill on Safe mode :lol:

gun skills seem really OP because it's like they're balanced just like physical skills, but OSK happens to have high crit as a bonus effect and then for some reason they get boost/amp passives and physical doesn't

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

So just to summarize and finish this whole line of thought, she's a quarter Japanese, some amount Finnish, and presumably some amount american whose parents are fashion designers from Finland (this is how she got into modeling in the first place; she subbed in for a model at a fashion show of her parent's stuff). She travels because Fashion Designers travel, presumably.

Should have stayed in Finland, we don't have to go to school on saturdays.

(Is that actually a thing in Japan?)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anzen posted:

I dunno, looking at the question in Japanese (この字はある漢字の崩し字なんだけどなにか分かる?) it looks like it was just translated directly. If there is any inaccuracy, it seems to be there from the source, and not the localization.

And if we're talking about weird localization choices for the questions, the one where Kawakami literally asks about a Japanese word and then uses it in an English sentence is probably a better example.

seriously what is this

I got the feeling that originally this question used "kakushinhan" as an example in japanese then wanted you to figure out how literally is overused in english and we just got the opposite.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Andrast posted:

Yes it is. And not only Japan, I did 5 years of schooling with 6 days a week/40h a week too (Europe). It sucked a lot, not least because I had to commute 1h each way for 4h of lessons on Saturday.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Andrast posted:

They definitely used to, but based on what I know most non private schools do not have class on Saturday and now it just may be none at all but idk

darealkooky posted:

that game also did so poorly that it (along with some other stuff) effectively killed the series for 6 years and required a soft reboot to salvage it

also it sort of ruined a cool character by making her a silent protagonist for no reason
hey persona 2 loving owns bud

persona 2 best persona game

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Andrast posted:

Yeah, Japan had a 6 day school week until 2003, where it got cut down to 5 days. There's been calls to bring it back, but nothing really seems to have come of that. Persona kept the 6 day week... for some reason?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Igor: All your confidants will be people who society has robbed of belonging.
(seconds later) Igor: BTW, let's be confidants.

Me: Cool, looking forward to that rank 10 reveal.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Moltrey posted:

They definitely used to, but based on what I know most non private schools do not have class on Saturday and now it just may be none at all but idk

hey persona 2 loving owns bud

persona 2 best persona game

don't misunderstand, persona 2 is cool (outside of the gameplay) but it's a fact they did a female protagonist and then the series went to bed for over half a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, Japan had a 6 day school week until 2003, where it got cut down to 5 days. There's been calls to bring it back, but nothing really seems to have come of that. Persona kept the 6 day week... for some reason?
because everyone making it went to school at a time when it was 6 days, probably