Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I thought Clara lacked character for her first season with Matt Smith and for a bit of the beginning with Capaldi, but that she was actually pretty good after that, whereas there is nothing redeeming about Adric. I don't know who I would say my least favorite New Who companion is. Mickey, probably (Adam doesn't count). He was just a huge chip in a shoulder for way too long. (I'm also not a big fan of Dodo, Harry Sullivan and, don't kill me, Tegan or Peri, although with Peri, it stems almost entirely from the weird choice to make her struggle through an American accent all of the time).

I wasn't a fan of Harry Sullivan either until I recently decided to watch all of Season 12 in order. He makes a nice change from the typical 70s Doctor-companion relationship pretty much entirely by just being an extra person. I like it in Robot as well when he gets to act like James Bond and then is almost immediately captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm worried by this one, I found Boyce's previous episode quite dull and it had a worrying message. What really worries me though is the use of emojis, the Bad Wolf double parter suffered due to the use of Anne-Bot and Trinny & Susannah, I think Emoji-Bots will date in a similar way.

It's really weird to think that Rose's Nokia 3510 (or whatever she had) was fairly top of the line when the new series started. Nothing dates shows more than mobile phones.

cargohills posted:

I wasn't a fan of Harry Sullivan either until I recently decided to watch all of Season 12 in order. He makes a nice change from the typical 70s Doctor-companion relationship pretty much entirely by just being an extra person. I like it in Robot as well when he gets to act like James Bond and then is almost immediately captured.

Marter was cast when they thought they were getting somebody older for the Fourth Doctor (whether that would have been Graham Crowden, Michael Bentine, Richard Hearne or Fulton Mackay) and they wanted a younger guy who could do all the running and jumping. Then they got Baker, who was only 10 years older than Marter and could manage all the physical parts of the role without too much trouble.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's really weird to think that Rose's Nokia 3510 (or whatever she had) was fairly top of the line when the new series started. Nothing dates shows more than mobile phones.

I've noticed one or two shows actively using different mobile phone styles to establish timeframes as a slightly more elegant approach than just flashing up a subtitle saying "2005".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Better Call Saul springs to mind, it's set in the mid-2000s and everyone's got flip phones

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

Better Call Saul springs to mind, it's set in the mid-2000s and everyone's got flip phones

Breaking Bad did that too, with Walter driving a Pontiac Aztek and everyone using old-rear end phones (although that really, really fell off in the last two seasons, even though the entire series is only supposed to depict two years, beginning in 2008).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It felt most off when they referred to bin Laden being killed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At one point people complained about a mobile phone being anachronistic in :lost:, only for the scenes to be set in a different time to when they initially appeared to be.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Computer monitors do it too. In the past 25 years we've gone from computers being semi-rare to curvy CRTs to small flatscreens to big flatscreens.

It was also fun to watch Jonathan Creek and see the change in how many people smoke (and where they smoke).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So this is something. Capaldi says they still have to shoot the Christmas special, but he also says he's filmed the Twelfth Doctor's death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0-km7wh0A

I wonder, then, if this is recycling Moffat's original idea for season 5 had Tennant stayed (it would have begun with his regeneration / dying moments being seen in the first episode, but throughout the season we'd see events unfold as to how he ends up in that regeneration situation).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm never getting used to beardy Graham Norton.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

So this is something. Capaldi says they still have to shoot the Christmas special, but he also says he's filmed the Twelfth Doctor's death.

Xmas special starts filming at the end of May, so I'd wager we hear who the next Doctor is before then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Xmas special starts filming at the end of May, so I'd wager we hear who the next Doctor is before then.

Yeah, they'll certainly announce it before on-set footage leaks (although I'm sure the regeneration will be done on a closed set). Wouldn't be shocked to see another special about the casting announcement.

That video, though. 205 shooting days for twelve episodes. Crikey. No wonder Capaldi was like "gently caress this, I'm old."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They've already filmed the regeneration.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Timby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0-km7wh0A

I wonder, then, if this is recycling Moffat's original idea for season 5 had Tennant stayed (it would have begun with his regeneration / dying moments being seen in the first episode, but throughout the season we'd see events unfold as to how he ends up in that regeneration situation).

I hope Big Finish is ready to record Peter Capaldi in the adventure of Doctor Who and the Cockney Nazis.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

I hope Big Finish is ready to record Peter Capaldi in the adventure of Doctor Who and the Cockney Nazis.

Meanwhile, at Nick Briggs'...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No Lucy this time, so he has to make do with his own beard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

No Lucy this time, so he has to make do with his own beard.

With Missy, he can be his own beard!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

They've already filmed the regeneration.

Unrelated but thank God you were joking about the Star in her eye thing. I figured you had to of been, but it was just close enough

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, the tabloids (and Bleeding Cool) are bandying around Kris Marshall as the next Doctor again. God I hope not.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

good to see thom yorke branching out

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, the tabloids (and Bleeding Cool) are bandying around Kris Marshall as the next Doctor again. God I hope not.

Oh Jesus no

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'd prefer Johnny Vegas.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

He looks ginger!

Other than that, what's wrong with this dude?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Unrelated but thank God you were joking about the Star in her eye thing. I figured you had to of been, but it was just close enough

Yeah. I only know things really that can be picked up from sharing a building with the show. So I know lots of production stuff, which can be spoilers, but not the actual details of plots. So I can tell you a third master is being brought back, but not why. Plus I know some casting spoilers because I see folks in the cafeteria.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

He looks ginger!

Other than that, what's wrong with this dude?

I haven't watched either My Family or Death In Paradise but I'm given to understand that the former was mostly rubbish despite starring Robert Lindsay while the latter is the most generic crime drama imaginable. It's probably nothing to do with Marshall himself (again, genuinely not familiar with his work - I haven't even seen Love Actually) so much as not a lot of the stuff he's known for impressing a lot of people.

He just seems an odd choice to me because, as we know, the BBC are reportedly after a dashing, David Tennant sort, and he doesn't really seem the type to me. :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

His face is like the platonic ideal of 'gormless'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He managed to be in the dumbest subplot in Love, Actually, which is really saying something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

His face is like the platonic ideal of 'gormless'.

Other than in My Family, the only other thing I saw Chris Marshall in was Funland, where his role was to be exactly that. He was pretty good at it, but it's sort of ruined him as an actor for me.

P.S. Funland was by some of the League of Gentlemen (i.e. the guys behind Psychoville, Inside No. Nine, The League Of Gentlemen, ect.) and is such really, really good. Mark Gattiss is involved, but only in an acting capacity, so don't worry about that. It's kind of like a British season of American Horror Story, only consistently good. And super, super sleazy. It's great though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Marshall was also in those infuriating BT adverts that felt like they were on the air for decades. gently caress him.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Kris Marshall is the safe and unadventurous choice wel known to the BBC a recognised name and a decent actor. I think most people would like them to take a risk and cast a relatively unknown but really good actor of what ever gender or ethnicity lets them tell the most interesting stories, not another white male.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Every time I've gone to see a movie lately my theater has inflicted this awful, awful trailer for Marshall's latest film on their patrons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HERAK posted:

Kris Marshall is the safe and unadventurous choice wel known to the BBC a recognised name and a decent actor. I think most people would like them to take a risk and cast a relatively unknown but really good actor of what ever gender or ethnicity lets them tell the most interesting stories, not another white male.

Truly he will be the 13th Doctor. Unlucky for everyone.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I guess it is 2017 so we are all clamoring for a female Doctor and a black Bond but let's be real here: it's gonna be a white dude.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Considering how things are going worldwide, I'm half-expecting the 13th Doctor to be Nigel Farage.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yes please

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure Marshall gets listed as a frontrunner every time because he's a regular on BBC television, he's surprisingly charismatic in his roles and has frequently played characters who are a little bit weird.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Looke posted:

yes please

It would be a bold and interesting choice.

I'm holding out hope that it is not Kris Marshall at least until it is official. John Simm is back so that could be interesting.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yes please was for my boy farage

not sure about kris marshall, he tends to play the bumbling oaf, so i'm sure we'll see that in his doctor - if true

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What if John Simm is the 13th Doctor?

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Astroman posted:

What if John Simm is the 13th Doctor?

:aaaaa:

That's what i hope. Certainly would be much more interesting.

• Locked thread