Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

I guess that one random internet dude sending me emails was right

Like I always say, the Internet is never wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Like I always say, the Internet is never wrong
whoever they are, they weren't 100% correct but I'm p sure that development changes on a whim over at CIG

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Sarsapariller posted:

Ahahaha, this is a complete goddamn abomination and I love it. No project manager would ever sign off on this horseshit.

Sarsapariller has seen some poo poo. I can tell.

I felt inspired to chime in on this abortion of a schedule too. I'm a software engineer with many years' experience (about 8 of those in games, not that it's relevant here), and there are red flags all over the place. Just off the top of my head...

The farther into the future that you estimate time to complete work, the less reliable those estimates become because the unknowns accumulate. Planning a year into the future is just madness- your estimates almost always become fiction that far out, and that's with a capable team that understands the work and wants to do right by their customer.

The larger the tasks that you're estimating, the less reliable your estimates become because you've essentially been given license (or an excuse) to avoid thinking about the actual work you'll need to do at your keyboard in any meaningful detail. This is an especially great opportunity to avoid thinking through how your stuff interacts with other people's' systems. It's easy to estimate a task that includes queuing an asynchronous request to the purchasing system, and another thing entirely to discover that they will be asynchronously sending back a success/fail message and oh poo poo what if it's fail and oh poo poo am I expected to retry of it fails and oh poo poo what if a response never arrives at all and oh poo poo an upstream system is expecting my code to handle all of this synchronously? And so on. The tasks on this schedule are laughably huge and many appear likely to span multiple teams. If you think they had dozens of engineers in a room hashing out the critical details of how this stuff will work 6 months from now then nice job being hilarious.

Optimism is the enemy of getting honest estimates. Everyone wants to believe they're smart and good at their job, and no one wants a project's completion date to slip, but tough poo poo. If you don't put on your big boy pants and keep each other honest, you'll convince yourselves that the hard jobs are unrealistically simple and hey we can make up that two month delay from last year no sweat in Phase III. Substitute arrogance for optimism as appropriate. Also "wanting to rip people off for mad ducats."

Anyway, those are just the first three big things I thought off the top of my head while looking at the schedule. That's not to imply that everyone at CIG is crooked, but even a well meaning boss can take advantage of these dynamics to manipulate estimates and hit a deadline. And I don't think crabbers is a well meaning boss. Maybe at one time, but not anymore.

(Oh yeah- starting with a deadline and estimating to hit it. Also super bad. Duh.)

Anyway, for what it's worth.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just fyi if you're reading from reddit or frontier or whatever, the original post was from Feb 16th, almost 2 months ago

jesus christ

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

just fyi if you're reading from reddit or frontier or whatever, the original post was from Feb 16th, almost 2 months ago

jesus christ

yeah, well, one thing is wrong so everything else is wrong too

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

If I need to see this animation not in zero-g, my immersion is ruined.

Come on guys, you know you're dying to help CR figure out what his next mocap and money sink is. I think zero-g motion capture could be the ticket! :homebrew:

I demand CRobbers mocap all animations again from the perspective of someone born, raised and lived their entire life in zero g but now they're in SC fake gravity.

Fidelity demands it.

Then 3 other alternative races.

Only then, females.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I felt inspired to chime in on this abortion of a schedule too. I'm a software engineer with many years' experience (about 8 of those in games, not that it's relevant here), and there are red flags all over the place. Just off the top of my head...

The farther into the future that you estimate time to complete work, the less reliable those estimates become because the unknowns accumulate. Planning a year into the future is just madness- your estimates almost always become fiction that far out, and that's with a capable team that understands the work and wants to do right by their customer.

The larger the tasks that you're estimating, the less reliable your estimates become because you've essentially been given license (or an excuse) to avoid thinking about the actual work you'll need to do at your keyboard in any meaningful detail. This is an especially great opportunity to avoid thinking through how your stuff interacts with other people's' systems. It's easy to estimate a task that includes queuing an asynchronous request to the purchasing system, and another thing entirely to discover that they will be asynchronously sending back a success/fail message and oh poo poo what if it's fail and oh poo poo am I expected to retry of it fails and oh poo poo what if a response never arrives at all and oh poo poo an upstream system is expecting my code to handle all of this synchronously? And so on. The tasks on this schedule are laughably huge and many appear likely to span multiple teams. If you think they had dozens of engineers in a room hashing out the critical details of how this stuff will work 6 months from now then nice job being hilarious.

Optimism is the enemy of getting honest estimates. Everyone wants to believe they're smart and good at their job, and no one wants a project's completion date to slip, but tough poo poo. If you don't put on your big boy pants and keep each other honest, you'll convince yourselves that the hard jobs are unrealistically simple and hey we can make up that two month delay from last year no sweat in Phase III. Substitute arrogance for optimism as appropriate. Also "wanting to rip people off for mad ducats."

Anyway, those are just the first three big things I thought off the top of my head while looking at the schedule. That's not to imply that everyone at CIG is crooked, but even a well meaning boss can take advantage of these dynamics to manipulate estimates and hit a deadline. And I don't think crabbers is a well meaning boss. Maybe at one time, but not anymore.

(Oh yeah- starting with a deadline and estimating to hit it. Also super bad. Duh.)

So they should add another week for "gamecode"?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You can bet your rear end he has! Twice!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

jesus christ

I'd like to buy you a drink. Which one of the four studios should I send some booze to? Or would you prefer one of those chocolate fruit poo poo things?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So they should add another week for "gamecode"?

...and that's how Tijuana Bibliophile became a technical program manager.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I know this was a few pages back, but I suspect the rea, reason CIG don't have a delta patcher is simply that the patcher wouldn't sell more ships. It's like a big software company evaluating every change by whether or not it will increase their market share; all that matters is how many ships every feature will sell. CIG cannot justify devoting any programmer time to anything else. Everything MUST sell more ships!

Either that, or there's a deep-seated fear that someone will use the patching system to create a hack that lets players use ships they don't own. A widespread crack that lets even the lowliest peon experience the wonders of an Idris could start a whale stampede overnight, and CIG know it.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
http://kotaku.com/star-citizen-3-0-update-coming-in-june-will-add-moons-1794357581

"I have to admit, I get exhausted just hearing the words “Star Citizen,” and the game’s latest update schedule is a perfect example of why. In the new post containing some 4,000 words, the game’s developer outlines everything that will be coming with 3.0, from the big stuff like the exploreable moons all the way down to the nitty-gritty like “adding VFX and Turbulence to atmospheric entry..."

"If the 20 minute video convinces you of at least one thing, it will be this: cargo is complicated. Especially in a game as complicated as Star Citizen, which creator Chris Roberts believes might me the most ambitious game ever created. This is both the magic of Star Citizen and its curse. As the game is slowly cobbled together for players to experience in real-time, the process can feel both arduous and overwhelming. But it’s also in the service of a “seamless” space exploration game that could make good on the promise of something like No Man’s Sky and add depth to an experience like Elite: Dangerous."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

...and that's how Tijuana Bibliophile became a technical program manager.

That would even be enough to lead one of their dozen studio.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

With an equal effort he could become Christ's right thumb.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Happy Easter smarties, please spread the fud

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'm excited to find out how late the patch will be when even the schedule for it is six months late. I'm putting my bet on five months late with less than promised in the schedule which is already less than promised.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

They've actually shown off lots of pictures of female avatars I thought. It's funny they didn't even make the cut for the totally 100% real project timeline.

They should have female locomotion done by 7/3/17. Did you even read their bullshit schedule? Then, after 2 weeks, that team will work on Security / Access Control for 3 months.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

"PLEASE validate my decision to sink a thousand dollars into a game that hasn't been released for almost half a decade because my parents sure aren't"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:words:

Everything you said is true and good. But to be fair to them, they have no trouble planning that far into the future because this is a fantasy schedule at all levels, one month and one year alike. There's no real point analyzing it as though they actually intended to use it, except for funsies, because at this point it's completely apparent that they will forget it as soon as the current sale ends.

CIG has dug themselves a real hole. They've already promised all of these systems again and again and the only thing that changes is the date. At this point, anything other than "And here it is" is just reminding their remaining backers that their schedules are completely unreliable and typically followed by another sale. This 3.0 schedule is a giant series of unbelievably optimistic deadlines for stuff they mostly promised and failed to deliver well over a year ago. I'm kind of surprised that they're giving deadlines at all, since they mostly stopped doing that. Either they truly have become so incompetent that they think there is a reasonable chance they'll have this in a working state by June, or their sales are dipping so low that they don't think it'll matter when they miss every date on the chart.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Has even CIG forgotten about Star Marine by now? I wonder how long until they break it and have to remove it like the tutorial.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Welcome back, friend. :3:

Thanks. As always, I issued a statement. It was beautiful. :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hakimashou posted:

Dr Smart is free again, thank god.

Happy Easter Derek!

Don't let the QCS eunuchs get you down!

Thanks. Wish you the same. If you're Christian that is.

Yeah, not my first QCS rodeo. Those guys don't scare me. Even I don't scare me. :grin:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Now that Derek is back, where is MOMA? IIRC CIG have until the end of Summer to show "significant" progress with SC and Sq42 right?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

'kotaku" posted:

The crowdfunded project has raised over $146 million to-date, and despite its fair share of delays, the single-player campaign was due out last year, the leviathan of a space-sim seems to be creeping along at a not entirely petty pace. Updates 3.1 and 3.2, expected later this year, will introduce even more planetary exploration, including underwater caves, as well as the ability to apparently drown in those caves.

Didn't they re-purpose water to be the vacuum of space?

This is sure to cause some wonderful glitches and blockers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:same:

As very good post.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

Everything you said is true and good. But to be fair to them, they have no trouble planning that far into the future because this is a fantasy schedule at all levels, one month and one year alike.

I think any rational person can look at CIG's track record to date and realize, best case, they're incompetently run and won't produce anything remotely ground breaking. I also suspect that various of us have seen their hijinks parallel real world experiences in such terrible and perfect ways that we're driven to convey the power of that sensation.

Anyway, you're 100% right, but that's definitely what happened with me. I probably would have gotten the same mileage out of posting a picture of Jim Ignatowski above the words THINGS ARE MORE hosed THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I still can't get over how much they have been sperging out over that cafeteria animation. They must have been doing that for months now? It's for a cut scene isn't it?

They seem so proud of it. It's quite odd.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Thanks. As always, I issued a statement. It was beautiful. :grin:

LOL

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

That's the stuff.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Everything you said is true and good. But to be fair to them, they have no trouble planning that far into the future because this is a fantasy schedule at all levels, one month and one year alike. There's no real point analyzing it as though they actually intended to use it, except for funsies, because at this point it's completely apparent that they will forget it as soon as the current sale ends.

CIG has dug themselves a real hole. They've already promised all of these systems again and again and the only thing that changes is the date. At this point, anything other than "And here it is" is just reminding their remaining backers that their schedules are completely unreliable and typically followed by another sale. This 3.0 schedule is a giant series of unbelievably optimistic deadlines for stuff they mostly promised and failed to deliver well over a year ago. I'm kind of surprised that they're giving deadlines at all, since they mostly stopped doing that. Either they truly have become so incompetent that they think there is a reasonable chance they'll have this in a working state by June, or their sales are dipping so low that they don't think it'll matter when they miss every date on the chart.

They're giving deadlines because the consequences are immaterial. They're not going to be around for much longer; so it doesn't matter either way.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

They're not going to be around for much longer; so it doesn't matter either way.

🤔

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

I hate Germans? I guess that would be news to my German friends, as well as the German devs who have worked for me. In fact, two of my best friends are both Germans. And they both have worked for me on two or more projects.

Retards.

Wait, aside from posting someone's publicly known name, going to LinkedIn is stalking now too? :negative:

Huh, the ol "i have x friends!" Trick eh? Cant fool us mr warlord sir.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

I still can't get over how much they have been sperging out over that cafeteria animation. They must have been doing that for months now? It's for a cut scene isn't it?

They seem so proud of it. It's quite odd.

Nah, it's is not for a cut-scene. It's for IMMERSION so that you can relax after a mission and talk to the npcs while eating and advance the plot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Things I learned from the Update video

- It takes 27 Producers to find out what Chris wants to do that day.
- Every minipart of the game can not be added in procedural, its all at the one time or nothing.
- Weight distribution of cargo matters in a game where 99.99999% is gravity free. Coming in 4.0, real time water erosion calculations from planetary clouds.
- I thought a cargo system would be a database for the items, a database for the character/ship, a few box models, and the code to refer from one database to the other. BUT CARGO IS HARD.
- CARGO. CARGO. CARGO. CARGO.
- If I want to change something that affects another part of the system, I sometimes have to wait 8 hours at least for someone to come in to work on the other side of the world.
- NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Nah, it's is not for a cut-scene. It's for IMMERSION so that you can relax after a mission and talk to the npcs while eating and advance the plot.

It's going to be great for my immersion when the NPC anti-collision pathfinding means no matter what table I sit at, the NPC's all avoid me and choose to sit at other tables. Just like high school :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 16, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Goonies are getting restless... Good.
May their sad souls GentlyCaressOffTM in peace.
:] Praise Sir Roberts as he purges the scum !

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

derek back again. still no sign of moma so i guess hes trying to scrub the reek of shame off himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys what have I missed in the last 250 or so pages

Is this game still just as hosed, or *even more hosed* than it was before?