Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe the gf should get a job
Progressive I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why do people do no research at all before buying pets. It was one thing in the eighties but the Internet is right the gently caress there.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benagain posted:

Why do people do no research at all before buying pets. It was one thing in the eighties but the Internet is right the gently caress there.

I can see rescuing a difficult breed but yeah going out and specifically buying one makes you a loving idiot.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

new phone who dis posted:

I can see rescuing a difficult breed but yeah going out and specifically buying one makes you a loving idiot.

In a few days i am picking up my new puppy. It is a Purebreed Maremma Sheepdog. 

I have had lots of dogs in the past and raised quite a few puppies so i know about how to look after dogs and what is needed. This dog will be the biggest i have ever owned though. 

I have always wanted one of these kinds of dogs and i think it will fit into my lifestyle ok. I live in the city but i have a very large yard and a dog park 1 block from my house. I also go for 2, 1 hour jogs/fast walks per day. I have young children but the pup i am getting comes from a breeder with young kids too. My kids are 2 and 8weeks and the breeders are 2 and 3.

I know these dogs can be quite independent and strong willed. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of dog in an urban setting and how did they cope? I have already talked to the breeder and got lots of advice on the breed but i think i need more. All the advice they gave me is from their experience on farms. I have also read so much information on the net as i could get my hands on.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
this one has me real confused

quote:

Me [21 M] with my [21/F] 3 years dating, she takes our arguments too far

My girlfriend and I have always been prone to silly fights, I think both of us just enjoy arguing to some extent. We'd get into arguments about sports, politics, etc and it may get a bit heated but by the end of the night it was like it never happened. Lately though I feel like she's taking things a step farther and I don't know what to do.

Today we were coming back from jimmy johns and started arguing about what we were doing that night. She went silent for a bit and then kind of exploded bringing up all the times she had done something regardless of whether or not she wanted too. I told her that wasn't really my fault and she needed to tell me when it actually happened. She threw my sandwich out the window on a busy road while we were stopped, and a car immediately hit it. It wasn't the 6 or 7 dollars that mattered to me, just that she thought that was ok to do.

The end result was the same. When we got home she tried apologizing and helped me put the pieces of my sandwich back together, then acted like nothing had happened.

I guess I just don't know if there's a good way to address this? Outside of our fighting the relationship is great and I don't want to give it up.

TL/DR Girlfriend is escalating fights beyond what is normal. I want to keep relationship together but don't know how to calm things down.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Goddamn that one turned out badly. Poor dumb pooch, just wants to be in a field watching sheep all day and it gets the dumbest owner in the world.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Beachcomber posted:

I have had lots of dogs in the past and raised quite a few puppies so i know about how to look after dogs and what is needed. This dog will be the biggest i have ever owned though. 

I have always wanted one of these kinds of dogs and i think it will fit into my lifestyle ok. I live in the city but i have a very large yard and a dog park 1 block from my house. I also go for 2, 1 hour jogs/fast walks per day. I have young children but the pup i am getting comes from a breeder with young kids too. My kids are 2 and 8weeks and the breeders are 2 and 3.

I know these dogs can be quite independent and strong willed. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of dog in an urban setting and how did they cope? I have already talked to the breeder and got lots of advice on the breed but i think i need more. All the advice they gave me is from their experience on farms. I have also read so much information on the net as i could get my hands on.

Most work breeds like that need a job to be happy and will adopt guard dog if no other one exists. The best thing you can do with big, high-energetic dogs is tire them out with exercise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this one has me real confused

I guess they went out into the street and decided they could rebuild it and now their sandwich moves in slow motion and makes weird sound efffects.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Doo doo doo dooooo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Beachcomber posted:

PI never forgets or forgives, always a good lol at the lady who thought this breed was a good family pet

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Beachcomber posted:

Dress your children like sheep,'punch the dog. Do your research, people!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's like that WoW addicted goon that got 2 lab puppies against everyone's advice and then immediately stopped caring about them

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Also people who say "they love animals" and use that to justify spontaneously adopting a pet are always the people who dump it on craigslist as soon it becomes inconvienient

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
people who say and do that don't really love animals, they're just addicted to novelty, and also, are scumfuckers

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Scumfucking takes a lot of hard work, so I'm not sure they'd be into it. You have to skim a lot of pond surface before you have a scum mass worth boning.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People like that OP's girlffriend are basically little kids who want a puppy to play with but don't realize/care how much work one is.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

people who say and do that don't really love animals, they're just addicted to novelty, and also, are scumfuckers
So basically this. At least little kids have the excuse of being, y'know, kids.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Scumfucking takes a lot of hard work, so I'm not sure they'd be into it. You have to skim a lot of pond surface before you have a scum mass worth boning.

But p soon I'll have enough toenails and hair trimmings and ear wax to make a real scumdoll! :pervert:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
just adopt retired racing greyhounds, chillest dogs ever.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think I'd eat a sandwich after a car ran over it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just say it's a panini

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
When I was young, I had a girlfriend who asked me how attractive she was on a scale of 1-10. I told her she was a solid 8.5.

Girls that age aren't asking for a frank appraisal of their looks, they're asking you to make them feel beautiful and singular in your eyes, because they're very insecure.

At least, that's what I learned the hard way.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It's been blackened.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

blarzgh posted:

When I was young, I had a girlfriend who asked me how attractive she was on a scale of 1-10. I told her she was a solid 8.5.

Girls that age aren't asking for a frank appraisal of their looks, they're asking you to make them feel beautiful and singular in your eyes, because they're very insecure.

I've always found 1-10 scales on looks to be confusing because in most cases when something is being graded 70% is like the benchmark for passing so is like 7 average or is 5 average?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I've always found 1-10 scales on looks to be confusing because in most cases when something is being graded 70% is like the benchmark for passing so is like 7 average or is 5 average?

have you seen what the average person looks like

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

new phone who dis posted:

Most work breeds like that need a job to be happy and will adopt guard dog if no other one exists. The best thing you can do with big, high-energetic dogs is tire them out with exercise.

Just in case anyone missed it, I am not getting a dog. This is an infamous PI thread.

Edit: these dogs exist to defend sheep, not herd them. Also they will sometimes just murder things.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 16, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

have you seen what the average person looks like

I know but that's sorta what I mean, which number do you pick if someone is average. Is it 5, 7, or like is this an absolute scale where we admit that average person is overweight and give em like a 3.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Just in case anyone missed it, I am not getting a dog. This is an infamous PI thread.

Edit: these dogs exist to defend sheep, not herd them. Also they will sometimes just murder things.

Link? I wish to see the Wrath of PI

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

Link? I wish to see the Wrath of PI

This should be it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

Well no poo poo. There are 7 billion people in this world, nobody is special in any objective way. People just want their partner to make them feel special. It's not a loving sin to want to be special to someone. Uhhh you're a 7/10, bad tits babe.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

Well no poo poo. There are 7 billion people in this world, nobody is special in any objective way. People just want their partner to make them feel special. It's not a loving sin to want to be special to someone. Uhhh you're a 7/10, bad tits babe.

Poofy carnival tent nipples.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (33F) date (33M) annoyed I didn't order from the happy hour menu

quote:

I've known James for a few years. We belong to some of the same organizations, we have many of the same interest. When I run into him at organizational events and around town he's funny, interesting, we share the same dark sense of humor, love of history, etc. But I went on a date with him and things just seemed a little off. I need help deciding whether I'm being too critical or if these are red flags.

So he invited me on a date for drinks at this swanky little bar that is renown for their fancy extensive signature cocktails, any time after 6pm on Tues. I said that 6 would be perfect since I would be done with work and nearby around then. At 5:54 as I'm walking up, I get a text saying: "happy hour is over in 6 minutes, what do you want, I'll order for you." (which I thought was a little tacky. Cool for friends, kind of off for a first date. Especially since I wasn't even there to look at the menu.) But I remember I loved one particular drink, "The Magnolia" and text that back. I get to the bar at 6:01 and the first words out of his mouth were: "that's your cocktail. It wasn't on the happy hour menu. Just so you know." In kind of an annoyed/accusatory tone. No hello, no good to see you, no you look beautiful, just hey, that wasn't a drink special! I just said I wasn't sure what the happy hour was, and it's a delicious drink. He replied, "for $12 it better be!" (so he even looked up/asked about the price of my drink!)

So the start of the date was insanely awkward. But eventually we had a wonderful time talking about history (we're both on different historical boards.) And I thought, ok, awkwardness start aside, this is a great connection.

I only ordered the one Magnolia, because obviously it was an issue. But we were talking about their signature smoked bourbon drink and we decided to get one to share so we could try it. My point is really that I didn't rack up a huge bill. I had 1.5 drinks. When the bartender asked if we wanted separate checks, he hesitated, looked at me and kind of waited for a second, clearly waiting for me say, "yes" but when I hesitated he said, "yes." Meanwhile, he's rubbing my leg, and asking if I want to go back to his place.

So, this was a bad, bad date and huge red flag warnings, right? Or am I being too particular or high maintenance? He's interesting/funny/cool to talk to. But his annoyance at my ordering 1 drink was really awkward and made me feel uncomfortable. And if this is how you treat a first date, I worry what future dates would be like...

I'm not a user or gold digger, and I'm very much a "you get this date, I'll get the next date; I buy the tickets, you buy the refreshments; I'll get the burger and not the lobster" kind of girl. But there's something off putting by someone who isn't gracious or generous or something.
tl;dr: Went on a date with an interesting guy but who was visibly annoyed that I didn't order off the happy hour menu, then wanted separate checks so I could pay for my 1 drink, plus 1 drink we shared so we could try a smoked bourbon (amazing, btw). Now I'm kind of uncomfortable and not sure if I should see him again.

ETA: Drinks in my area are kind of pricey. The average for cocktails is $12-19; lots of microbrews that are $8-11; wine is usually $10-15 a glass. So $12 isn't unusual or particularly pricey. (I mean, I get it, it IS outrageous, but it is what it is at the bars downtown.)
"I went somewhere renowed for fancy cocktails, how dare my date order a fancy cocktail!"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Haifisch posted:

My (33F) date (33M) annoyed I didn't order from the happy hour menu

"I went somewhere renowed for fancy cocktails, how dare my date order a fancy cocktail!"

Who knew that awkward history dorks aren't used to the nuances of buying fancy cocktails for pretty ladies. He's probably alright, he's just not in his element and a nervous idiot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

I get a text saying: "happy hour is over in 6 minutes, what do you want, I'll order for you." (which I thought was a little tacky. Cool for friends, kind of off for a first date. Especially since I wasn't even there to look at the menu.)

Hey pro-tip dudes, do not do this thing this guy did, sure it seems super polite and smooth, but the more perceptive amongst you may realize that this is a tactic date rapists use.

Let the lady get there and see the drink being made.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he'd budgeted $8 to get his gently caress on that night and already the project was seeing overruns, who wouldn't be pissed

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Hey pro-tip dudes, do not do this thing this guy did, sure it seems super polite and smooth, but the more perceptive amongst you may realize that this is a tactic date rapists use.

lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he'd budgeted $8 to get his gently caress on that night and already the project was seeing overruns, who wouldn't be pissed

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WampaLord posted:

OP posted:

You know, I actually didn't think of that until later. I remember the bar tender, an awesome woman, welcoming me and letting me know she just made it and kept an eye on it-so he didn't drink it wink wink and I then realized what she was trying to convey and that I was a bit naive!
Don't worry, cool bartender's got it covered. This time.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
go dutch on first dates unless there's a second one where you're gonna alternate imo.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

This is great:

:) Hi guys, I want to get this dog to live with me and my 2 small, vulnerable children. Any advice?
:stare: How about "Get a dog which is less likely to kill and maim every living creature you hold dear."
:jerkbag: Any other advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
"I'll have you know this Roofycolada cost $12."