Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I was talking Austin-only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
BBQ is okay. I'll never understand you guys passion for this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spintzel posted:

BBQ is okay. I'll never understand you guys passion for this

Mods?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^ Weber + https://pitmasteriq.com/ = delicious smoked meats. $240 total for something that can't be matched until you get into the $1-$2k range. If you drop cash on a BGE or Kamado, the IQ becomes even more incredible. My next step from the Weber is a thick-metal side-smoker or a built-in brick smoker, though.

I bought one of these https://www.theorioncooker.com/ (actually I'm on my second one as my first rusted out after ~6 years) and swear by it. Get in price of $150. Rock out on some Butts/Ribs/Turkey/Roasts etc. I will say that Brisket is a bit tricky. I generally have to smoke for 2 hours it then wrap it in foil and shove it in the oven for ~6 hours to get a good result, but it's workable. I really like this thing because it's fire and forget until the time is up. I smoke butterfly rainbow trout fliets in 20 minutes and my kids call it "the best thing ever".
Several years back when I wanted to start smoking things I did a bunch of research and was really wanted a big green egg. But I just couldn't pull the $800 trigger. I bought one of these figuring that if it didn't work out I'd only risked a buck fifty. Turned out to be a great decision. Now I'm not claiming that this is going to match results from a BGE, but if you want some good smoked meats for decent prices give this sucker a try. I've actually got a friend who's modded his by rigging up a copper tube in the base ring perforated and hooked up to propane for better temp control.

edit: Oh and I forgot one of the best parts of this. This travels well to Tailgates.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

I used mine once and never again. Couldn't control the heat on that.

I mean it's your money and all but it takes more than one try to get used to any smoker.

It's a little more fickle than smokers 4x it's price, but once I got my routine down I can hold temps for 12+ without issue.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Send me the one you don't want and I will meat it up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Seriously I'm still in shock you bailed on one of the best sub-1k smokers after one try. It's not a high volume smoker, but for personal use it's amazing. I can do ~30lbs on my 18" without issue.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
NCAA approved an early signing period and a 10th full-time assistant. Both are great things.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Unless you're a player in which case the early signing period kinda sucks

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I'm not the biggest fan of early signing periods but lover everything else.

Other changes:

- No more Individuals Associated With Prospects jobs : Means a school can't hire a parent, guardian or HS Coach into an admin job anymore to try and sign a kid. Has to be a 2 year waiting period. Schools can hire HS coaches into full assistant coach positions still. BBall has had this rule for a while now.
- Satellite camp limits: The Harbaugh rule. Camps are limited to 10 a year during summer months and has to be on school campus or facility they normally use.
- Earlier official visits: Official visits were limited till after September of SR year, now can be taken as early as April of JR year
- Class-size limits: The SEC rule of 25 per class goes in-effect across NCAA. I'm guess the loop holes that allow Tennessee to sign 40 recruits are still in place.

Everything except satellite camps and early signing period are great for recruits. The early signing period during the coaching carousel time should be interesting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

lamentable dustman posted:

- No more Individuals Associated With Prospects jobs : Means a school can't hire a parent, guardian or HS Coach into an admin job anymore to try and sign a kid. Has to be a 2 year waiting period. Schools can hire HS coaches into full assistant coach positions still. BBall has had this rule for a while now.

Is this a football only thing? It seems like a bigger issue in basketball, I say as a fan of a team who just signed the #1 recruit after hiring his dad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That rule seems like an overreaction and kinda kills the chance for a lot of high school coaches to move up even for a job they might be legitimately qualified for but whatever I guess.

The no two a days and earlier official visits rules are good. 10th assistant is fine but amusing given how athletic departments cry poverty

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

lamentable dustman posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of early signing periods but lover everything else.

Other changes:

This is pretty stupid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, I completely missed the BBall has had this rule for a while now bit, which is either completely incorrect or has loopholes you can drive a truck through.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Ha, I completely missed the BBall has had this rule for a while now bit, which is either completely incorrect or has loopholes you can drive a truck through.

Isn't that just for administrative positions and not coaching? I think Porter Sr. is fine because he's hired as a coach.

oschesar
Apr 22, 2006

Pain or damage don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen
Shiny Globule

LeeMajors posted:

I mean it's your money and all but it takes more than one try to get used to any smoker.

It's a little more fickle than smokers 4x it's price, but once I got my routine down I can hold temps for 12+ without issue.

Yup. I'll do a 18 hour cook on brisket starting at 10pm. The last time I'll check temp on my WSM before heading to bed is at midnight. When I get up in the morning, the temp is the same as when I left it.* Once you lock those in using the Mignon method, they're good to roll.

*offer not valid when it is rainy or below 50F.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The expanded dead period and end to camps are of course stupid as hell. But thank god kids won't have the opportunity to go to things like sound mind, sound body anymore, but Hugh Freeze gets an extra month to spend with his family because his job is too hard.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I mean the rule is strictly to prohibit administrative or "volunteer" hirings and you know drat good and well why they happen. Coaching hires are still completely legal.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The expanded dead period and end to camps are of course stupid as hell. But thank god kids won't have the opportunity to go to things like sound mind, sound body anymore, but Hugh Freeze gets an extra month to spend with his family because his job is too hard.

It's really not stupid though

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean the rule is strictly to prohibit administrative or "volunteer" hirings and you know drat good and well why they happen. Coaching hires are still completely legal.

I guess I just figured most of the coaching hires were the same thing. Like we'll let you 'coach' as long as your kid comes.

As regards MU BB I suppose he's at least coached women's basketball, and whatever he did under Romar before.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Grittybeard posted:

Is this a football only thing? It seems like a bigger issue in basketball, I say as a fan of a team who just signed the #1 recruit after hiring his dad.

Porter Sr was hired as a full assistant coach. The new rule prevents hiring dads or a kids HS coach as a film room assistant or whatever staff position is made up for them

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The camp tours were being used as glorified tryouts unless you really believe UM went to Australia to teach kicking techniques.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I guess I just figured most of the coaching hires were the same thing. Like we'll let you 'coach' as long as your kid comes.

As regards MU BB I suppose he's at least coached women's basketball, and whatever he did under Romar before.

Well, they are, but you're taking a legitimate risk there. Those admin jobs people get are basically no-show jobs, just a paycheck they collect for forcing a kid towards a certain school. If you want to risk hiring a parent or HS coach who may not be able to rub two sticks together as a part of your staff then that's a risk they'll allow you to take.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas's spring game just ended and I'm... honestly not sure what to make of it. The orange team won 52-51, but the scoring system they used was totally bizarre; I think there should be a breakdown of how it worked online somewhere. For example, they actually awarded points to each team for stuff that happened during pregame drills.

Shane Buechele looked alright and will probably be our starter again, although he and the receivers still need to work on completing passes. Sam Ehlinger looked like he had some work to do.

Would love for somebody that knows more about football than me to post a breakdown with their thoughts and opinions. Especially regarding the defense.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 15, 2017

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State QBs threw for 600+ yards; hopefully a good sign for the pass offense, but who really knows.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

Ohio State QBs threw for 600+ yards; hopefully a good sign for the pass offense, but who really knows.

I don't think we learned much of anything, other than Kevin Wilson doesn't seem to mind calling a deep ball more than once or twice a game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I just watched two minutes of Akrum Wadley jump cutting the Michigan defense into oblivion and am now ready for football again

https://twitter.com/fbislife/status/853337528211996673

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Soon I will be jonsing enough to research games from last season for my football methadone

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I did not watch the A&M spring game, but I feel confident that there was no meaningful information to be gleaned from it in a cosmic sense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/PantherLair/status/853321711894368257
:lol: PSU is still salty that Pitt beat them

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I hope Pitt beats them again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ACC supremacy.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

MourningView posted:

I just watched two minutes of Akrum Wadley jump cutting the Michigan defense into oblivion and am now ready for football again

https://twitter.com/fbislife/status/853337528211996673

local cops and strip clubs beware!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I dunno how active y'all are as alumni, or even boosters, but you may want to spend like 10 minutes over the next couple weeks sending letters to your schools and booster liaisons just letting them know that stuff like this group
http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/04/university-responds-to-alt-right-group-claiming-to-be-a-white-student-union

is unacceptable, since they're popping up more and more

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

I dunno how active y'all are as alumni, or even boosters, but you may want to spend like 10 minutes over the next couple weeks sending letters to your schools and booster liaisons just letting them know that stuff like this group
http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/04/university-responds-to-alt-right-group-claiming-to-be-a-white-student-union

is unacceptable, since they're popping up more and more

That comment section is pretty dire.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pakled posted:

Comments sections are why the internet shouldn't be a public good

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Pakled posted: