Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think what bugs me is that Stallone and Arnold made a bunch of comedies, goofy movies, or just otherwise crappy action movies, but Stallone has Rambo, and Arnold has the Terminator. Neither The Rock or Vin Diesel have really done anything similar to those type of just genre-defining blockbusters, and that kind of bums me out.

In this analogy Jason Statham is Bruce Willis, and even his filmography is comparatively pretty depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jason has the Cranks at least.

The Rock has hercules, which isn't quite as good as Conan but is still cool. Nothin like that Basil soundtrack tho

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think the Pacifier is Vin Diesel, actually.

The Rock did Tooth Fairy. That's probably where the confusion is coming from.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

I'm still waiting for Crank 3-D :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Phylodox posted:

The Rock did Tooth Fairy. That's probably where the confusion is coming from.

It also could be The Game Plan. I had actually mashed both those movies up in my head, actually.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I laughed way too hard at this

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think the Pacifier is Vin Diesel, actually.

Pacifier was Vin Diesel, and the Arnold cameo in The Rundown is at the start.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Like that, but Hitler is also Dunwoody and they're all The Rock.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Rundown is pretty cool but came from the time before The Rock was a super megastar.

Also I wish the franchise would just shift towards The Rock and Statham at this point as those two rule together and Vin Diesel is nothing but a puffy downer. But I'm sure Vin Diesel knows/is paranoid that he's being usurped which is why all the weird editing drama went on with this latest movie. Ain't no one gonna kick Vin off his own franchise!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

got any sevens posted:

The Rock has hercules, which isn't quite as good as Conan but is still cool. Nothin like that Basil soundtrack tho

Hercules would have been cool if the whole movie was like the first scene which turns out to be make believe. It's like wow this movie is going to be awesome, and then whoops, psych the movie is actually boring

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tato posted:

The Rundown is pretty cool but came from the time before The Rock was a super megastar.

Also I wish the franchise would just shift towards The Rock and Statham at this point as those two rule together and Vin Diesel is nothing but a puffy downer. But I'm sure Vin Diesel knows/is paranoid that he's being usurped which is why all the weird editing drama went on with this latest movie. Ain't no one gonna kick Vin off his own franchise!

Usurpers are the most afraid of being usurped. It used to be Paul Walker's franchise.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

Hercules would have been cool if the whole movie was like the first scene which turns out to be make believe. It's like wow this movie is going to be awesome, and then whoops, psych the movie is actually boring

I still thought it was cool :shrug:

loving centaurs!

I
AM
HERCULES!!! :black101:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lobok posted:

Usurpers are the most afraid of being usurped. It used to be Paul Walker's franchise.

Sure, if you think Point Break was Keanu's movie

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I watched Predators last night, Arnold is one handsome motherfucker.

The Rock is almost as attractive, and Vin is the most unattractive.

So it is perfectly reasonable to hate on the least attractive one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
"Unbeknownst to López, Björk and Goldie had ended their relationship a few days before he mailed the letter bomb and killed himself"

loving hysterical

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Wandle Cax posted:

It absolutely is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wandle Cax posted:

I do, and I think other than the plot comparing F&F1 to Point Break is pretty funny if that suggests Vin Diesel at that point was anywhere close to being in the same league as Point Break-era Swayze.

There was also no Point Break 2 that starred Keanu but not Swayze.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Point Break was pretty cool, but Speed was when I first noticed Keanu.

We had no access to stoner comedies in my country. It cost hundreds of dollars to even lease a VHS machine to play the movies that cost like 10 bucks a pop.

Keanu Reeves is cool and hansome imo

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Violator posted:

I know this is probably an opinion shared by very few people, but I just don't like The Rock any more. I know he's a super nice guy. I know he perfectly understands his role as a cheesy action hero. I know he plays that role well. But he just comes off as super fake to me from following his Twitter and interviews. I don't know what it is, but I have a hard time coming up with any enthusiasm for his films any more. All of his stuff in the most recent Fast movies just feels cheesy in the wrong way to me. "Daddy's gotta go to work" and breaking the cast off in theory should be bad rear end, but for some reason it's super cringey for me. All of his dialogue feels really fake and forced. I don't know why.

This may be silly, but I felt the same way about his wrestling career. The guy has a ton of natural charisma, but I feel like he dials it up too much. Before the Scorpion King, everything he did felt natural because it seems like he played things how they naturally came to him. But when he went off to do the Scorpion King, I remember he said he spent a bunch of time doing intense acting classes to learn how to act. And his original management team tried to steer him into traditional parts so he would be an actor instead of a action hero. He later turned that around and embraced what made him famous, but it feels like he's still utilizing what he learned from those classes when I think he felt more natural before he started doing the exaggerated mannerisms. Compare his wrestling interviews before The Scorpion King and after (like the stuff with The Hurricane) and his later work feels a lot more animated, zany, exaggerated, and scripted. His most recent wrestling work ("when I say yabba you say dabba!") is terrible.

I really respect the guy and like him as a person, as much as you can like a celebrity without knowing them, but I have no interest in his movies at this point. Fast Five was probably the last Rock movie that I enjoyed.

You know what, I've noticed this as well. I think it's most clear when you watch his interviews on talk shows and stuff like that. He gets away with just flashing that smile and with his natural charisma, but there is always something that bothers me. Like he is straining to give a certain image and it starts to look forced, especially when he tries to laugh to entertain some talk show host's lovely jokes. The time he was on Conan promoting Hercules and he talked about passing out during some stunt, Conan and Andy took the joke really far and you could tell he was not enjoying it but tried to fake-laugh his way out of it. It was one of the most cringiest things I have seen in a while, because it wasn't super obvious and underlined, but because you could see in his eyes that "Ok, I'm feeling really uncomfortable right now but I have to play along".
Most of his interviews and his own stuff on YouTube has that same unnatural vibe going on.
I mean I really like the guy, one of the most entertaining dudes in movies simply by his charisma alone, but yeah Fast Five was the thing where he was utilized the most appropriately, after that, his schtick has gotten progressively more over the top and fake.

When comparing to someone like Arnold, it was always easy and comforting knowing that "Yep, that is Arnold alright" because he couldn't hide his accent in movies and when you listen to his commentary tracks on movies especially from the 80's, he is the goofy dude you know and love. With The Rock, it just feels like he is constantly struggling to hide who he really is. Of course many celebrities are like this, but The Rock isn't as good of an actor to hide it so it ends up looking fake and distracting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i havent watched interviews with a lot of these action stars, so this is just a thought... could there be an element of age/nostalgia in this?

like if you grew up with arnold you know that persona and maybe you watched the rock as a wrestler and you know that persona. then arnold gets a comedy persona thats pretty much his action persona. and the rock gets a comedy persona thats also etc etc etc

idk, just a thought

fwiw ive watched i think 4-5-6? of the fast & furious movies & they were fun but they were also very bad. only reason i didnt ffw was cause i put them on the fill the time

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The Rock is always playing the Rock. His interviews when he was just Dwayne Jonhson are the most genuine because he was just being his normal lovable goofy self.its also the time when his career kinda stalled and it only got back on track when he started being the Rock again 24/7.by all acounts hes one of the nicest guys in hollywood so go and get payed big man.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

not trolled not crying posted:

You know what, I've noticed this as well. I think it's most clear when you watch his interviews on talk shows and stuff like that. He gets away with just flashing that smile and with his natural charisma, but there is always something that bothers me. Like he is straining to give a certain image and it starts to look forced, especially when he tries to laugh to entertain some talk show host's lovely jokes. The time he was on Conan promoting Hercules and he talked about passing out during some stunt, Conan and Andy took the joke really far and you could tell he was not enjoying it but tried to fake-laugh his way out of it. It was one of the most cringiest things I have seen in a while, because it wasn't super obvious and underlined, but because you could see in his eyes that "Ok, I'm feeling really uncomfortable right now but I have to play along".
Most of his interviews and his own stuff on YouTube has that same unnatural vibe going on.
I mean I really like the guy, one of the most entertaining dudes in movies simply by his charisma alone, but yeah Fast Five was the thing where he was utilized the most appropriately, after that, his schtick has gotten progressively more over the top and fake.

When comparing to someone like Arnold, it was always easy and comforting knowing that "Yep, that is Arnold alright" because he couldn't hide his accent in movies and when you listen to his commentary tracks on movies especially from the 80's, he is the goofy dude you know and love. With The Rock, it just feels like he is constantly struggling to hide who he really is. Of course many celebrities are like this, but The Rock isn't as good of an actor to hide it so it ends up looking fake and distracting.

So, Dwayne Johnson's entire public persona is like this scene with him in Southland Tales...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9w0EtOT48&t=59s

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp0L7PuXWU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hahahah he was in star trek? thats hilarious

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

hahahah he was in star trek? thats hilarious

He was an alien of the week kind of deal. Just like a lot of other actors on Voyager.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So am I getting this right and some people have issues with The Rock being The Rock

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Besides Voyager he was in an episode of That 70s Show too. Basically around that time he was in one episode of a bunch of things playing either his dad in the past or his descendant in the future who all behave exactly like The Rock, it's loving awesome.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A few jabronis here. F8 is pretty awesome btw.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, F8 owns. It gets progressively more ridiculous and never lets up.
It's a good time if you don't get hung up on things like "blatant disregard for the laws of physics," in which case why are you watching an F&F movie anyway.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tato posted:

Yeah that and Walking Tall are two of my favorite movies with the Rock in it. Well that and The Scorpion King; what I was still a kid when those movies came out!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that and Walking Tall are two of my favorite movies with the Rock in it. Well that and The Scorpion King; what I was still a kid when those movies came out!

I still watch all 3 of those if they come on tv, they're pretty good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

I still watch all 3 of those if they come on tv, they're pretty good.

Walking Tall is anchored by the character of the Rock's dad, who gives a way better performance than the role needs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As fun as F8 is there's no mention of Statham killing Han which I think is a bit too much. With this series they ould have drat well done an "Hey guys I'm not actually dead! I had good REASONS! See you in the sequel!" But no, Don sent the guy who murdered his friend to rescue his baby son, which while lots of fun is a bit too much.

Snowman_McK posted:

Walking Tall is anchored by the character of the Rock's dad, who gives a way better performance than the role needs.
I was surprised that they portrayed his parents as an interracial couple, which makes sense of course but in hindsight seems like something a studio wouldn't have done a decade ago.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

As fun as F8 is there's no mention of Statham killing Han which I think is a bit too much. With this series they ould have drat well done an "Hey guys I'm not actually dead! I had good REASONS! See you in the sequel!" But no, Don sent the guy who murdered his friend to rescue his baby son, which while lots of fun is a bit too much.

There was something to the effect of "we haven't forgotten what you did"

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
they put hus brother in a coma and killed his crew too ya know.

quest for revenge failed, and he a got over it. have a bigger heart.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Casimir Radon posted:

I was surprised that they portrayed his parents as an interracial couple, which makes sense of course but in hindsight seems like something a studio wouldn't have done a decade ago.

Ah yes. A decade ago, the 1950s

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Han not actually being dead would have made the team up make much more sense and would have felt less dumb. Yes, it's almost to the point of the Dallas shower scene but what isn't in this franchise.

Ammanas posted:

Please name some prominent interracial couples in American media in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Idiots lost their poo poo a few years ago because of a biracial family in a Cheerios ad.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Please name some prominent interracial couples in American media in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Idiots lost their poo poo a few years ago because of a biracial family in a Cheerios ad.

Not saying they're all classics but my parents do have some fairly riveting vacation photos

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Will Smith had to carefully calculate which ethnicity his love interest should have in Hitch so people would watch the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wait, are people trying to argue that Hollywood isn't still racist as poo poo or something, what in the world is going on here

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, I felt that way too. The way they retconned him from cold blooded murderer who killed one of their crew to "actually he's a good guy who only did bad things for FAMILY" was kind of a bridge too far in plausibility, which is saying a lot for this movie.
Of course, that does not rule out Han returning from the dead at some point. We've still got two of these movies to go, after all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 16, 2017

• Locked thread