Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

Is this working as intended? I didn't have many friends in HS but I'm sure I didn't scare people either.

Some children are bullied because they are horrible, and Yuuki is absolutely one such person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

Beat the game, dang. Really fantastic though, better than P4.

One thing that I felt sort of missed the mark was how they sorta forgot about the whole "change the Palace rulers cognition in order to change their palace" after Futabas. I think it would have been really interesting to have real world sections where you had to run around and interact in the world with an area in order to clear barriers or open up shortcuts or something like that, rather than the other palace gimmicks we got (which usually overstayed their welcome).

I never liked when you were forcibly kicked out of the dungeon to do some real world stuff to progress. Because it just wastes calendar days and doesn't really fix the problem of most palace's being like a safe room too long. Like Madarame's palace kicking you out a 3rd of the way through and having you spend 2 days getting past a security system was pretty annoying. It worked well with Futaba's palace because the cognitive block got fixed as part of the calling card scene, and so the dungeon was already over by the time it happened so it never interrupted it.

I do think more shortcuts and stuff should have been implemented though. I really liked in palace 1 how you could unlock a 2nd infiltration route on the outside that starts you halfway through and a secret passage near the end that goes to the first room. They're mostly pointless because you can just teleport to later save rooms, but that sort of thing really made it seem more heist-like. You weren't just making your way to the end, but securing an easier passage to the treasure. I can see why they didn't keep doing that since it didn't serve a practical purpose but I missed it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Finished the game, game owns. Committed early on to dating Takemi but if I were to start over (haha who am I kidding of course I'm going to end up playing NG+) I'd pick Makoto or Haru. The game did a fantastic job of making Makoto go from a really annoying character to one of the best ones. I don't think my opinion of a video game character has ever 180'd that hard before.

very big spoilers: I think putting Akechi on the box art alongside the main cast was a mistake, because if you know going in that he's going to be a party member and also notice early on that he can hear Morgana talk then it's incredibly obvious that he's the traitor - and more than likely the black-masked killer - really, really early. Also thinking about Akechi and how much of a turdboy he is made me think about the intro again long before actually getting to Sae's palace, which made me realize that Joker getting caught by the cops happened in the Metaverse and let me feel really smug and in on the joke when the Ocean's Eleven "here's how we did it" moments happened.

The fallout after palace 6 is probably the highlight of the game for me, though the final calling card was also extremely good. Low points would I guess be palace 3, and the Fortune and Tower confidants. Though maybe Fortune gets good, I never bothered maxing her out because I just really didn't like her. gently caress off you scam artist.

Persona highlights: Decarabia (I think that's the right name - the eyeball-starfish that's weak to phys) with Null Phys fused onto it was a midgame powerhouse for me, eventually replaced by Hell Biker (:black101:) which became Trumpeter which got replaced by Lilith, which got replaced by Black Frost and then finally Vishnu. Honorable mention to Sarasvati for being such a good support/healer that I kept it in my rotation until it was like 20 levels behind my mains.

Lastly, I'll probably have Rivers in the Desert, Last Surprise, and Life Will Change stuck in my head for years. This is not a bad thing.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm fighting the final mini boss and two times now his minions have lived with a sliver of hp and recarmdra'd him back to full and I'm crying.

Yeah that was a pain in the rear end. If I were smart I would have tried to lock the healers down with some kind of status effect but I brute forced it instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I do think more shortcuts and stuff should have been implemented though. I really liked in palace 1 how you could unlock a 2nd infiltration route on the outside that starts you halfway through and a secret passage near the end that goes to the first room. They're mostly pointless because you can just teleport to later save rooms, but that sort of thing really made it seem more heist-like. You weren't just making your way to the end, but securing an easier passage to the treasure. I can see why they didn't keep doing that since it didn't serve a practical purpose but I missed it.[/spoiler]

I honestly felt like that dungeon was designed before they had settled on allowing you to fast-travel between safe points.

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah that was a pain in the rear end. If I were smart I would have tried to lock the healers down with some kind of status effect but I brute forced it instead.

Can't you just... kill the healers? It's pretty easy when they leave themselves at 1 HP, and I don't think enemies can revive each other. Can they?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 16, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The two adjacent saferooms in Palace 3 continue to perplex me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I honestly felt like that dungeon was designed before they had settled on allowing you to fast-travel between safe points.

When I got to that stuff I sorta assumed maybe Merciless locked your ability to travel to safe-rooms and was kinda disappointed that wasn't the case.

Edit:

Clarste posted:

Can't you just... kill the healers? It's pretty easy when they leave themselves at 1 HP, and I don't think enemies can revive each other. Can they?

Dude revives his minions every few turns after they die.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Clarste posted:

They get re-summoned if you don't kill their boss fast enough, which can easily happen if you kill them right after they heal it to full (:argh:)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

The two adjacent saferooms in Palace 3 continue to perplex me.

I liked 3 of the 4 saferooms in the 4th palace are within 10 seconds of each other in a straight line. :psyduck:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I liked 3 of the 4 saferooms in the 4th palace are within 10 seconds of each other in a straight line. :psyduck:

It makes sense given how that palace is laid out. After you clear one section you get a safe room before the next chunk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

They get re-summoned if you don't kill their boss fast enough, which can easily happen if you kill them right after they heal it to full (:argh:)

Well, yeah, but he only summons them one at a time, iirc. I recall killing them as they were summoned, although it didn't take long because each one just makes your Baton Passes stronger. Each robot boss has a weakness, so it's not too bad.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I somehow talked a level 44 Persona to join me as a level 36. Is this because I capped out Sun? This absolutely wasn't possible until sometime recent. If it was Sun, how many levels up can I talk myself into? Because goddamn.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
My salt levels are through the roof right now.

So it turns out that the ENTIRE WEEK leading up to dungeon 7 has the other Phantom Thieves too busy pissing their pants to hang out. Yusuke and Haru were my last 2 Confidants needed to get to 10. Yusuke is rank 8 and Haru is rank 9. Looking at the calendar I'm pretty sure there's no way to get to 10 with both of them unless I somehow get 3 afternoons where they're both available during finals week (not happening).

Goddamnit. I spend hours looking over the calendar plotting out the last 5-6 weeks to max out all the bros. There's literally no warning until that Sunday that the team is unavailable for that week.

Oh well, to NG+, I guess.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kalsco posted:

I somehow talked a level 44 Persona to join me as a level 36. Is this because I capped out Sun? This absolutely wasn't possible until sometime recent. If it was Sun, how many levels up can I talk myself into? Because goddamn.

That's the capstone of the Sun link, you can recruit personas of a higher level.

There is no upper limit. :getin:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, yeah, but he only summons them one at a time, iirc. I recall killing them as they were summoned, although it didn't take long because each one just makes your Baton Passes stronger. Each robot boss has a weakness, so it's not too bad.

1st midboss summons 1 at a time, final does both. Also, they're talking about the guys from the final dungeon and not the robots from palace 5. The minions might still have weaknesses though, I never tried looked for one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kalsco posted:

Sun removes the level limitation entirely. Although it's not really as useful as it sounds since a Persona with 3 skills and no Arcana Boost is kind of useless, and you can even fuse it either since the result are too high level. Until you get a certain other Confidant maxed out anyway.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Clarste posted:

Sounds like we're talking about different fights? Ibram Gaunt and I were talking about the very last mini-boss in the final dungeon, which is not robots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

1st midboss summons 1 at a time, final does both. Also, they're talking about the guys from the final dungeon and not the robots from palace 5. The minions might still have weaknesses though, I never tried looked for one.

Oh, the angels, sorry. I literally just used Mamudoon on the turn they came out. I never even saw them get an action so I didn't realize they had Recarmdra.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 16, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just finished Yoshida's confidancy. I like him. He's a good dude. Wish he'd stop showing up on my 'people available to hang out' screen, unless he's going to keep feeding me charm points that I can use for my ultimate goal of Kissing Makoto On The Lips And Then Telling Her lovely Sister About It.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

jymbojones posted:

My salt levels are through the roof right now.

So it turns out that the ENTIRE WEEK leading up to dungeon 7 has the other Phantom Thieves too busy pissing their pants to hang out. Yusuke and Haru were my last 2 Confidants needed to get to 10. Yusuke is rank 8 and Haru is rank 9. Looking at the calendar I'm pretty sure there's no way to get to 10 with both of them unless I somehow get 3 afternoons where they're both available during finals week (not happening).

Goddamnit. I spend hours looking over the calendar plotting out the last 5-6 weeks to max out all the bros. There's literally no warning until that Sunday that the team is unavailable for that week.

Oh well, to NG+, I guess.

You've got a bunch of time. Finishing dungeon 7 doesn't skip you ahead, so if you just finish the dungeon early you've got like 3 weeks to hang with people.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The resolution to Palace 4 is so hilariously contrived. "Oh, she just sleeps for weeks at a time, no big deal." "It's too late for us to find another hacker, so let's just wait until the deadline and see what happens!" "Time to go see a yakuza movie"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Patting Futaba on the head is Good

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You've got a bunch of time. Finishing dungeon 7 doesn't skip you ahead, so if you just finish the dungeon early you've got like 3 weeks to hang with people.

I'll try that. I've got a save back on the evening of the 9th that might give me enough time to at least max Haru.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I never liked when you were forcibly kicked out of the dungeon to do some real world stuff to progress. Because it just wastes calendar days and doesn't really fix the problem of most palace's being like a safe room too long. Like Madarame's palace kicking you out a 3rd of the way through and having you spend 2 days getting past a security system was pretty annoying. It worked well with Futaba's palace because the cognitive block got fixed as part of the calling card scene, and so the dungeon was already over by the time it happened so it never interrupted it.

I do think more shortcuts and stuff should have been implemented though. I really liked in palace 1 how you could unlock a 2nd infiltration route on the outside that starts you halfway through and a secret passage near the end that goes to the first room. They're mostly pointless because you can just teleport to later save rooms, but that sort of thing really made it seem more heist-like. You weren't just making your way to the end, but securing an easier passage to the treasure. I can see why they didn't keep doing that since it didn't serve a practical purpose but I missed it.

I don't disagree completely, although I didn't mind the multi day palaces at all. I suppose I just feel a little let down by the lack of "heist-ness" after a certain point. Madarames palace really felt like "hey let's steal poo poo" to a degree that wasn't really matched by shido's palace, for instance. They also seemed to lean back off of stealth a lot as the game went on (again, open floor plans on the ship...) which, eh, I'm not sure how much I liked the stealth stuff anyway.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The resolution to Palace 4 is so hilariously contrived. "Oh, she just sleeps for weeks at a time, no big deal." "It's too late for us to find another hacker, so let's just wait until the deadline and see what happens!" "Time to go see a yakuza movie"

there should have been an open to say letting the economy burn owns, gently caress the system when ever one of your teammates got worried about it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm glad the resolution is as anti-climactic as it is, because even the main cast just gives up and loses interest.

It's all good, this navigator is the best yet.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Agean90 posted:

there should have been an open to say letting the economy burn owns, gently caress the system when ever one of your teammates got worried about it.
But globalised neoliberal capitalism is the only thing that's letting Persona 5 exist in the first place. Makes you think.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

VERY end-game question: is there a unique bad ending for giving up and letting Yaldabaoth do what he wants?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Found out the hard way that Endearing Soul and Final Guard will NOT trigger on reflect damage. As I hit the last boss with a super charged attack, only for it to reflect back and one shot the MC. I was so close to it being over too! augh!

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Hey so for Palace 7 is it better to wait until the last day or should I do it ASAP as normal?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Hey so for Palace 7 is it better to wait until the last day or should I do it ASAP as normal?

asap.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

VERY end-game question: is there a unique bad ending for giving up and letting Yaldabaoth do what he wants?

Yeah.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I went with Mishima to the planetarium and man this kid is a creep

I told him to gently caress off, he said he already bought the tickets too. No regrets.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's canon that Joker and pals dunked on Mishima at every possible opportunity.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's canon joker was rolling his eyes through the entirety of the Tower slink but the Laharl boy was too oblivious to notice

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
"You were able to get high tech customized guns, something you possibly couldn't have done yourself. Surely someone had to have made those guns for you" - Sae

"..." - Joker

Sae is a lovely investigator guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JackDarko posted:

"You were able to get high tech customized guns, something you possibly couldn't have done yourself. Surely someone had to have made those guns for you" - Sae

"..." - Joker

Sae is a lovely investigator guys.

tbf she is completely correct.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She would be, except I never actually bought or customized any guns

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

End-game spoilers: Can I do Shido's Palace right away or should I wait? The in-game tip windows sounded like once you commit things would end. I still have social links to do!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The only gun you need is the grenade launcher in your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm counting on you, Phantom Thieves!
Do something!
Do something!
Do something!