Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Reading the release thread for it here on SA was kind of funny in the same way it is to watch a train crash. (I say as someone who hasn't played any of those games.)

I was considering dusting off the first one a bit back and noticed it seems the old actually good wiki is half busted, notably images and thus the fancypants links clickable tech tree that saved my ignorant self so much pain :saddowns: I was never what you would call "Good" a the game, but it was always fun smashing space fleets together which I was at least able to generally tech up enough for quite the spectacle before failures :v:

I nabbed ES2 and have been waiting for launch to be super terrible at it. I should probably get around to getting at least 1/4 of a way through an Endless Legend game in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really liked the original, it was like a true follow up to Master of Orion 2. Then they decided to recreate MOO 3 for some reason.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Flipswitch posted:

El lore question, I've not played as the Roving Clans enough for their quest line to get near the end, how do they intend to ride out the end of Auriga?

Yeah, it's basically about them taking a Scrooge McDuck dust bath during which they figure out dust is magic and so they've sitting on enough mojo to maybe unfuck things.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You know, this is where the whole lore kinda falls apart a bit. It's okay having dust be basically currency... But then how does trade generate it? I mean if it was fiat money, or we could just change the value of dust that would be fine, but dust is an actual substance that needs to be mined. It shouldn't just appear because you are real good at trading.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you make stuff and sell it for dust

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To whom? Who's got this much dust just sitting around?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Private sector.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The endless universe is absolutely filthy with dust, your society can only scoop so much of it. They need to upgrade to dust-infused models of scoopers to really pick up the pace.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dust is implied to be basically magical nanomachines, so I think it makes sense that it can create more of itself to a limited extent because the Endless thought ahead.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fangz posted:

To whom? Who's got this much dust just sitting around?

Broken lords go out on a wild bender and just vomit it up after one peasant too many

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got endless space 1 for 1$ and....i have no idea what to do. I dont get anything abiut it and im super worried and frustrated that if i dont get 1, i wont get 2, and 2 looks frickin awesome. I have a firm grasp on endless legend and love it, but couldnt get 1.

Am i in trouble or is es1 just unintuitive and will be different than 2?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I got endless space 1 for 1$ and....i have no idea what to do. I dont get anything abiut it and im super worried and frustrated that if i dont get 1, i wont get 2, and 2 looks frickin awesome. I have a firm grasp on endless legend and love it, but couldnt get 1.

Am i in trouble or is es1 just unintuitive and will be different than 2?

What specifically are you having trouble with? It can take a bit to figure the ins and outs of the UI as with any strategy game but one of Endless Space's hallmarks is it's a pretty simple game under the good. The only thing that can really trip you up is the Tech Tree, but for your first few games just ignore it and spread your research evenly across the categories going up from tier to tier.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I didnt understand what the things around my planet were. I sent my starting ships there, but didnt know what they were doing. Do i settle them? Just "own" them? How do i make different ships? How do i know what the ship i have selected is?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
It has been ages since I've played Endless Space, but I've been playing Endless Space 2 a bit this past week.

You need to build colonizer ships to settle another system. You can build ships on your home planet. Once they get built they are stored in your planet's hangar. If you click on a ship you built there is an option to 'Create a fleet' which will get them into space where you can move them around. Once a colonizer is sent to another system you can settle a planet assuming it is of the right type. Terran, ocean and jungle can be colonized right out the gate, or you have researched the prerequisite technology to settle different classes of planet.

The ships can have weird names but if you go to the ship designer you can see what they do. To colonize a planet you need to have that specific module on the ship.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
So I picked up ES2 the other day when they announced they're releasing in a month, but wanted to know how feature complete it is currently? I'd rather wait for the game to be in a finished-ish state before starting on it; I went to start a game yesterday and was put off by the fact that for several bits and pieces there was "to be added" or "TBD" still there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's not quite complete yet and they're still adding some big features, this close to launch I'd hold off for a bit.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I didnt understand what the things around my planet were. I sent my starting ships there, but didnt know what they were doing. Do i settle them? Just "own" them? How do i make different ships? How do i know what the ship i have selected is?

Had to dig up my copy of Endless Space to make sure I wasn't confusing ES1 with ES2. While systems have multiple planets, you interact with the game on a system by system basis. Think of the individual planets as ways of expanding your city, with the city itself being the system as a whole. I don't know what you mean by sending your ships to something around your planet, and what that is around the planet. You send your ships from star to star. As for the planets you do have to colonize them individually but you need certain tech for certain types of planets, so it will take a while before you can do anything with the extra planets in your starting system and you'll only find a few you can colonize in other stars to start with. Basically you build buildings that give you either flat bonuses or a bonus per population point (the head and shoulders icon around planets) and the point of the planets is to expand how much population exists in a system. The only exception to this whole system is you apply an "Exploitation" to a planet by clicking the planet in a system window and you'll have four exploitation options that you pick on the top left window. These are built but the bonuses apply only to that specific planet.

When you click on a star and open up the system menu the bottom left tab ("Development") is your build tab, with a button for showing buildings (the "System" button) and a button for showing ships you can build ("Ship"). The middle tab is your construction queue and the right tab ("Reserve") is the ships that you have built but are in storage and not on the map. Your ships start built there and then you can select them and hit "Create" in that tab to form a fleet on the main map. Back on the main map you select a fleet or set of fleets at a system and the contents of those fleets are shown in a pop up box on the bottom left. Then one you have selected will have a solid blue outline around the fleet information. Same thing if you want to move a single ship out of a fleet, you select the fleet then select a ship in the window that pops up to the right and you know you've got just one ship selected because only it will be in a blue outline.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rocket_Magnet posted:

So I picked up ES2 the other day when they announced they're releasing in a month, but wanted to know how feature complete it is currently? I'd rather wait for the game to be in a finished-ish state before starting on it; I went to start a game yesterday and was put off by the fact that for several bits and pieces there was "to be added" or "TBD" still there.

I've been playing a game as UE and several hours in it feels pretty much complete - I think I've only seen a couple of placeholder texts.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Vodyani with the can-colonise-any-planet policy from the ecologist party being in power are hilariously broken. The systems I acquired while the universal colonisation was in effect are always structure-capped and I have nothing to make in them but ships until a new tech pops, so I'm drowning three different enemies (one of which is a Craver empire with like a fifth of the galaxy under its control) in an endless tide of harvesters and mediocre attack frigates. Predictably enough, the religious and militarist parties quickly took control and I "only" managed to get five systems with full planet exploitation, but thankfully the planets stay colonised even after the ecologists and their broken-rear end policy lose power. The only other downside is how unhappy these systems can get, but they still produce far more than is reasonable, so it's not much of a problem as I chew through the colonisation techs and every alien in the galaxy.

e: This is/was on Endless difficulty, but my start was admittedly simple and very decent; there was a very large amount of space between me and everyone else and some good five-planet systems nearby, which protected me from any potential early aggression and allowed me a better choice of systems than what I would probably get normally. Only one minor faction accessible and it was four or five lanes away, but that wasn't too much of an issue once the ecologists briefly got into power. I'm eager to see what can be done with Vodyani in MP.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
I"m also having trouble with ES1. I'm not some dumb South hating idiot so I don't need anyone to explain things that were in the tutorial for me. My number one problem is that I have no idea what the victory condition is. In Endless Legend the quest nudged you towards your victory condition, but here there isn't even a hint. After 100 turns I'm winning by score, but I have no idea what i should be trying to achieve.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cis Lord posted:

I"m also having trouble with ES1. I'm not some dumb South hating idiot so I don't need anyone to explain things that were in the tutorial for me. My number one problem is that I have no idea what the victory condition is. In Endless Legend the quest nudged you towards your victory condition, but here there isn't even a hint. After 100 turns I'm winning by score, but I have no idea what i should be trying to achieve.

The victory conditions of ES1 are all just to have big numbers. Earn the most dust over the course of the game, own the most stars, research everything. That kind of thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cis Lord posted:

Offensive. A lot of that stuff isnt in the tutorial.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Is there a specific reason they pushed planet exploitations down the tech tree in ES2? Starting with all four was nice.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

I really liked the original, it was like a true follow up to Master of Orion 2. Then they decided to recreate MOO 3 for some reason.

I'm a huge fan of MOO2 and tried repeatedly to get into Sword of the Stars without success. I'm sure it's a great game if you put the work into circumventing the painful UI and figuring out what the gently caress is going on, but I couldn't do it.

I didn't even try the sequel, but the release was comically bad. I remember people saying that the Diplomacy screen button was grayed out in the release version of the game.

Fangz posted:

You know, this is where the whole lore kinda falls apart a bit. It's okay having dust be basically currency... But then how does trade generate it? I mean if it was fiat money, or we could just change the value of dust that would be fine, but dust is an actual substance that needs to be mined. It shouldn't just appear because you are real good at trading.

You know fiat currency is not all that old, right?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

I'm a huge fan of MOO2 and tried repeatedly to get into Sword of the Stars without success. I'm sure it's a great game if you put the work into circumventing the painful UI and figuring out what the gently caress is going on, but I couldn't do it.

It's not easy to learn for sure, but I didn't think it was that bad.

quote:

You know fiat currency is not all that old, right?

That's a debatable point, but what I meant is that dust acts like fiat money in that you can create it through government policy and able administrators, but the lore has it as a physical object with a set intrinsic value.

Historically you can't set an empire plan and get more gold, you had to either mine it or invade someone and take it off them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fangz posted:

It's nanomachines that can literally bend physical reality to the will of the user. It is the enabling source of all the magic in Endless Legend and the technology in Endless Space. Dust is literally everywhere, but it's not concentrated enough to actually do anything. You have to refine it into something that can do things, and using it spreads it back out over the environment. Imagine if all of reality was suffused with an infinite supply of crude oil, and our currency was primarily based on the barrel of oil.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

That's a debatable point, but what I meant is that dust acts like fiat money in that you can create it through government policy and able administrators, but the lore has it as a physical object with a set intrinsic value.

Historically you can't set an empire plan and get more gold, you had to either mine it or invade someone and take it off them.

I mean, historically you can't set an empire plan to make knights cost less production or improve soldiers' eyesight either. All of the mechanics are abstractions.

"Creating dust through government policy/able administrators" could just be negotiating a better rate on our beaver pelt exports, or hanging bureaucrats to reduce wastage.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The Harmony on the other hand detest Dust. But that's why they're not in the sequel as far as we know.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

IAmTheRad posted:

The Harmony on the other hand detest Dust. But that's why they're not in the sequel as far as we know.

They've been demoted to a minor faction. They're in the game files, along with the vaulters and the unfallen.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
They failed :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I look forward to smashing them to bits and using them as spare parts

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The latest update to Endless Space 2 basically opened up a remote online debugger for the AI for everybody playing. Unsure how this is gonna work out but suffice to say this is exciting! here's a blogpost about it, and there's also a stream archive on twitch.

I like this transparency, at the least. Now at least when the AI goes wrong or isn't competitive enough, we can point to why and bug Amplitude to fix it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

They've been demoted to a minor faction. They're in the game files, along with the vaulters and the unfallen.

I'm surprised to hear that about the Vaulters, since they are already more or less in the game as the Mezari/UE

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It might not mean anything as they use old faction names as placeholders.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any tips on Necrophages? I like them but suck with them. Especially early game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Flipswitch posted:

So the Necrophages are a lot like the Cultists. They're really powerful in certain circumstances and really weak in others. If you have a couple of empty regions around your starting region, possibly some with six villages, you can grind out a lot of NPCs with your early military, turn them into food, turn that food into pops, turn those pops into districts, and snowball your way to a win.

Same way the cultists can turn those villages into infinite soldier producers.

If you start out in an isolated corner surrounded by the sea with an immediate nearby neighbor, or on a small island, you're pretty much hosed. You won't be able to get enough npcs killed to build a big deathball and you'll just be screwed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not very good with Cultists either so I'll try playing both. :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Grab the dudes that create units on kills and run around murdering anything that moves, cackling as you profit from each fight. Set up for making GBS threads our bugs in era 2 and drown the world in blood. Micro some hit and run tactics to abuse the poison on your frail dudes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah Necrophages, more than anyone else, benefit enormously from just constantly picking fights. Go around headbutting wandering neutrals and picking off enemy scouts as often as you can. If you sustain a constant state of calculated belligerence, you'll be able to greatly accelerate your city growth using all those food stockpiles. Kill, consume, grow, expand.

The Cultists are almost the polar opposites in many ways - you'll primarily want to use your hero general to find and convert neutral villages. This means that constantly picking fights isn't always a great choice, as one miscalculated battle could destroy your army and wound your hero, greatly setting back your schedule in terms of conversion. Choose your fights carefully to keep your hero and their honour guard gaining levels without getting killed.

The Cultists benefit significantly from getting the mercenary market technology early on - immediately recruiting a second Cultist hero to use as Governor pays huge dividends over the course of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

You're not just good at fighting, you have to be fighting, because of the way food works for them.

They suck at farming (-1 food on all hexes), but get free food from stuff dying in combat.

In order to get that free food, you have to activate it from your empire screen. I think it's every 8 units gives you 1 stockpile, which you can activate for a specific city to give it 100 food instantly. This gives you a lot of momentum in the early game (if you're fighting), and you should be able to get a few huge cities fast.

Necrodrones are probably the single most efficient unit in the game and should be your go-to unless someone is spamming archers at you.

Make a beeline for their Age 2 upkeep reduction tech. It's really, really good.

Their sacrifice population for happiness tech, on the other hand, is garbage.

Also spam burroughs. Necrophages only need 1 population for every burrough, everyone else needs two. Having huge sprawling cities helps to make up for the fact that you can't trade like everyone else in the late game.