Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Here's a roundup of entries in the 2017 200 word RPG competition I found interesting.

Slap me and kiss me made made a cool game with a really good and evocative resolution system.

Thanks! Glad you liked it, I had a sudden burst of inspiration and really enjoyed putting it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

She eats through her skin. I control everything about her. I did this so I can see woman cosplay as her because I am pervert mysgonist. I even programmed her to make sexy poses in your helicopter because I have no respect for women. Now, don't you feel ashamed?

Anyhoo, warnings about the new Paranoia. According to a goon, might not be good:

Hostile V posted:

Good afternoon, Friend Computer. I got my copy of Paranoia in the mail today and I found out I actually had access to the PDFs since last August. I am reporting to you that I am not happy but due to the fact that unhappiness does not actually seem to be treasonous in the new edition (and in fact there are really no rules for treason outside of "you have five GTA-style stars and treason starts get handed out at debriefing missions, probably") I feel like my confession is pointless.

Please do not invest in the new edition. Please just continue paying XP. I have many thoughts but my thoughts are this:
  • Group chargen is suited towards making everyone in the group uncomfortable due to the fact that if you take a Skill, the person next to you has to take that exact same skill as a negative. This doesn't strike me as fun. This strikes me as a mechanic perfectly designed to create legitimate Mario Party-style hostility amongst everyone at the table dedicated at the person next to you. It is incredibly reminiscent of Wraith's chargen but with actual mechanical weight.
  • Speaking of mechanical weight, pretty much everything that's new (DAIVs, terrorism) don't really have mechanical weight. Terrorists are just a blank slate problem. DAIVs may or may not exist and only two of them actually give a mechanical benefit in the book. Plus the fact that a DAIV is roleplayed as the person next to you yelling in your ear is just an invitation for assholery.
  • Tying character progression, equipment, money and refreshing innate benefits to your XP pool is not a good idea and has been rightly abandoned even by D&D.
  • Substantial cutbacks on Secret Societies and Mutant Powers to the extent that they're just kind of bland. Sometimes you have duties for the former. Sometimes you can use the latter.
  • The ability to change your skill rankings and stat rankings by burning Moxie Points for good and backup clones is not really a good idea.
  • The different tones of play have been eliminated and the premade missions are basically half in Zap territory for the most part. Pun names run rampant. Puns in general run rampant. This isn't entirely great.
  • No real rules for Treason.
  • Your Fate Points (Moxie) should not double as a Sanity meter and also a Sanity meter is not a great idea.
  • They make a lot about the fact that you've got a buttload of cyberware in your head and then kinda just leave it really open for the GM to figure the gist of that out. The fact that everyone's constantly livestreaming back to the Computer all the time is really underutilized outside of the idea of dead zones.
  • Alpha Complex just feels barren and definitely requires GMs to just come up with stuff. As a whole there are no longer any Junior Citizens and most citizens are decanted as fully-grown, vat-educated Infrareds spat out into the world to do stuff. Yes it's mentioned that the youngest age you can be decanted is 12 and then you can get an education. Nothing is really made of this.
  • Changing the old system of roll-under d20 to a d6 system where you need X successes is certainly an...inspired choice.
  • Really not a fan of the Computer dice idea which is something you must roll at all times and on a 6 the Computer intervenes and automatically helps and costs you a Moxie point.
  • I don't have much to say about the card system because I just...really did not find it to be particularly approachable. This new system has the cards take preference over everything else and playing them is basically like playing the card game Bullshit. Cards are burned to attempt to defend in melee. Cards are burned to use equipment. There are Equipment, Action, Reaction and Mutant Power cards. Everything else boils down to "pick a stat and a skill and you do that after everything card-related has been dealt with".
  • It's really weird when a mission is like "okay so this one item is a card in the deck that the characters get and all of the other items aren't".
  • There's also just a weird juxtaposition between the editions that is best exemplified by the three premade missions that are linked introductions and the last one which is an old mission that boils down to "your current briefing got hijacked to assign you a different mission (paint a corridor) but everyone assumes you're on the original mission (go Outside)".
  • Actually in retrospect there's jack poo poo about Outside. The Sierra Club is swallowed up by the Romantics and mixed into an original society that's so boring I forget the name (Alpha Complex Historical Society Something Something).
  • For real, it feels like they stripped out so much to try to make the game approachable. A d6 system, cards for powers, the fact that it comes in a box with separate books. The result is not something I would call entirely approachable. The result is something I would call "Kickstarted and it shows". Is XP perfect? No. But it honestly does flow faster and better and all of the systems are actually attached and functioning, for better or for worse. I sincerely liked XP's combat approach of "everyone picks an action and they literally all happen at once, no initiative in combat" as opposed to the phases of Card Play.
  • Oh, one last thing: the negative skill ranks. Normally when you roll a pool of dice, 5s and 6s are successes and the others do nothing. When you roll a negative skill, you assemble a positive pool of dice, roll them, count fives and sixes as successes...and then subtract successes depending on how many dice are 1-4. Considering how normally in a dice pool system you want to assemble a large amount of dice at once, why even loving bother rolling a negative skill ever considering that the odds are substantially weighed against you that you'll end up with zero or less successes?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
"Venomous snakes of coloration varying between Gorgons grow anywhere that dense hair would grow on a Human, meaning the majority of them are on top of their heads, the men have patches of small snakes across their bodies, and both sexes have them cloistered around their loins."

I don't see when that's ever going to come up.

"While in Melee Combat, can will snake hair to attack enemies, dealing low Physical Damage scaled with FIST and giving a Poison DOT."

Nevermind.

Covok posted:

She eats through her skin. I control everything about her. I did this so I can see woman cosplay as her because I am pervert mysgonist. I even programmed her to make sexy poses in your helicopter because I have no respect for women. Now, don't you feel ashamed?

I mean yes I feel ashamed, but not for criticizing Kojima.

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 16, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Edit: actually, gently caress it
Double edit: if you don't see it coming up then why mention that they have a nestle of snakes instead of genitals

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Shut the gently caress you you worthless worm

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like I vaguely remember a webcomic or something that was all about snakepubes.

Pubesnakes?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Dog is defending the honor of loving Quiet the hill you wanna die on

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Plutonis posted:

I namesearched myself on twitter for curiosity and 90% of the results are people from this forum making GBS threads on me. Can't see why the haterade to be honest.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like I vaguely remember a webcomic or something that was all about snakepubes.

Pubesnakes?

Yeah, I'm not gonna google that.

But yeah, I remember it too.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
There was an oglaf comic about it I'm pretty sure but why is it a thing in your elf game

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pubesnakes?

Wait, for real? I just put that into my description as a jokey sort of extension of "all hair is snakes", but I didn't know people were actually into that. Then again, internet.

Ominous Jazz posted:

There was an oglaf comic about it I'm pretty sure but why is it a thing in your elf game

Some things that are funny between friends are not funny when shared with others. Same thing with the Krakengesicht description, although they're meant to be caricatures.

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 16, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dog is defending the honor of loving Quiet the hill you wanna die on

Kojima's a horndog, but reviving this stupid poo poo after two years is unforgivable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think it was Oglaf. It might actually have been a Terry Pratchett footnote with some vague allusion to "no one ever wondered if all her hair was snakes" or something.

It doesn't sound like Terry's style but that's the association right now.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I think the new question is
Would you?
Yes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I remember some joke about snake armpit hair. Anyways it's funny and no big deal but probs shouldn't be in an actual product.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Cartoon Violence posted:

Wait, for real? I just put that into my description as a jokey sort of extension of "all hair is snakes", but I didn't know people were actually into that. Then again, internet.

Some things that are funny between friends are not funny when shared with others. Same thing with the Krakengesicht description, although they're meant to be caricatures.

Yeah I just got to the Krakengesicht.

They're sexualized cthulhus?

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I remember some joke about snake armpit hair. Anyways it's funny and no big deal but probs shouldn't be in an actual product.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It was just meant to be funny, as with any description that gets into the physiology of monsters. But if it's troublesome I'll take it out.

Anniversary posted:

Yeah I just got to the Krakengesicht.

They're sexualized cthulhus?

The Krakengesicht were originally just going to be tentacle mouthed, or yeah pretty much Cthulhu's, but then I decided to base them off the creature that says "Pffft, typical." in the short film The External World (seen at about 6:45)

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 16, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Found it!

quote:

The question seldom addressed is where Medusa had snakes. Underarm hair is an even more embarassing problem when it keeps biting the top of the deodorant bottle.
It was Pratchett and he elegently brought up the point while directing attention to the less crass interpretation.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Cartoon Violence posted:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It was just meant to be funny, as with any description that gets into the physiology of monsters. But if it's troublesome I'll take it out.

So my perspective is that I'm gonna have more fun if you don't edit things (yet). But if you want to make changes I totally understand.

So far nothing really strikes me as beyond the pale. But that might be different for different people of course.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Kojima's a horndog, but reviving this stupid poo poo after two years is unforgivable.

Meh, fair enough, actually.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Anniversary posted:

So my perspective is that I'm gonna have more fun if you don't edit things (yet). But if you want to make changes I totally understand.

So far nothing really strikes me as beyond the pale. But that might be different for different people of course.

Hey, as long as it's not like for real bothering anyone I'll leave all the crazy or weird stuff in. If it's more fun for you that way, then that's great, I'll leave it as is. If everyone's having fun, that's what matters to me. :)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm going to be running Paranoia in the week - what's a good module for a new group? Or can I just give them a heist and a bunch of conflicting secret objectives and let them drive the plot themselves?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey, as long as it's not like for real bothering anyone I'll leave all the crazy or weird stuff in. If it's more fun for you that way, then that's great, I'll leave it as is. If everyone's having fun, that's what matters to me. :)
I'd leave it up to the players interpretation and the group's tone how explicit they want to go with it. If you flat out say THEY HAVE SNAKEPUBES you're putting that image in everyone's head, if you just say "all their hair is snakes" it's the group's choice if they immediately yell SNAKEPUBES or restrain themselves to snake chest and armpit hair jokes, but both are equally valid.

On a sidenote: do anyone else's groups get much raunchier as the players get older and married, or just mine?

e: once I described a village of half-elves on the edge of the elven forest and one player burst out "they only come out of the woods to gently caress" and I was like, okay, that is what it says in my notes but dang girl.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 16, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm going to be running Paranoia in the week - what's a good module for a new group? Or can I just give them a heist and a bunch of conflicting secret objectives and let them drive the plot themselves?

You can run whatever. You need a plot just to act as the setup. I recommend something inside Alpha Complex just to get them used to the insanity. Secret algae chip smugglers giving REDs GREEN flavours or whatever. I ran Mr. Bubbles out of the back of the XP rulebook last time I introduced a group to the game and it went fine.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cartoon Violence posted:

Weird, I guess we're just the opposites then. Growing up, and even getting into my adult years with RPG's, I always saw more choice as better. Well, at least as long as the creator put effort into the choices. Obviously, I wouldn't accept a tabletop game equivalent to Action 52. But, I put a lot of thought into each playable Race and Class, it's not like there's a bunch of useless garbage thrown in just for giggles or gloating purposes. I suppose you're right that that amount of information can seem overwhelming to a newcomer. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but doesn't 3.5e have more Races and Classes than that, even if you only use official books?
If you want it to be actually read and used, you have to put it into manageable pieces. More choices are definitely not always better because really? There's really that much mechanical depth and breadth that you have 74 meaningfully distinct options? I mean sure, 3.5e probably has more races/classes, but (a) they're spread out over 68 books, (b) a shitload of those races are "[adjective] elf/dwarf/gnome/etc", (c) there's a fuckload of bloat in 3.5e, and (d) just because you don't have the most options doesn't mean you don't have too many. If I were going to introduce someone to 3.5e today, I wouldn't think of giving them even 10% of the material available; I'd give them an overview of the system and pick maybe 8 races, the tome of battle classes plus a few casters (probably just the fixed-list casters), and from there ask them what their concept is so I could give them maybe a dozen feats to pick from. Everything else could come later, when they have a working base of understanding about the system and mechanics and will know what they want and what to look for.

I'll give a real world example. One of my friends has his own homebrew system. He keeps the entire drat thing in a couple of huge bags because it spans almost 30 years of homebrew everything and is about half a dozen fat 3 ring binders. He's got random tables for character creation and even making something totally random it takes about 45 minutes because you end up rolling about 30 times. If you tried to actually read all of that poo poo to make a character, you'd never finish; there's just too many different potential races, powers, etc. to actually retain. Back when he ran it at our university's game club, I'd see a lot of people just walk away or not show up a second time because there are a ton of "you have several dozen options, for next week pick one of them for this game" style choices and people didn't want to spend all night skimming several books of poo poo to find the gems that they weren't sure existed.

When you have the equivalent of a phone book of just game options, it's pretty much impossible to consider them all, which dilutes the desire to even make the choice and thus play the game. I get wanting to have options, but it's way better to just have a handful of examples and a guideline for more than spelling out every single potentiality.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If everybody is good at improv the latter approach works fine. Hell, if you know your players well enough you can give them just enough rope and sit back while they sabotage each other even if they're not great at improv.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

D&D in particular has too many races anyway, not just player races that have to each have their place in the world but also tons of varieties of goblin, kobold and orc, all of which are implied to have at least a degree of civilization and thus also call for being placed in a setting, and it's tough to do that without resorting to creature races as real world nationality analogues.

These days I often have my players pick races from everything available, and whatever subset they pick is what civilized races there are in the world, period. Well, plus one or two for additional NPCs and/or antagonists. It makes for more interesting settings, too. You picked the Revenant, looks like in this world the dead sometimes come back spontaneously - maybe during the campaign we'll find out why.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

If you want it to be actually read and used, you have to put it into manageable pieces. More choices are definitely not always better because really? There's really that much mechanical depth and breadth that you have 74 meaningfully distinct options? I mean sure, 3.5e probably has more races/classes, but (a) they're spread out over 68 books, (b) a shitload of those races are "[adjective] elf/dwarf/gnome/etc", (c) there's a fuckload of bloat in 3.5e, and (d) just because you don't have the most options doesn't mean you don't have too many. If I were going to introduce someone to 3.5e today, I wouldn't think of giving them even 10% of the material available; I'd give them an overview of the system and pick maybe 8 races, the tome of battle classes plus a few casters (probably just the fixed-list casters), and from there ask them what their concept is so I could give them maybe a dozen feats to pick from. Everything else could come later, when they have a working base of understanding about the system and mechanics and will know what they want and what to look for.

I'll give a real world example. One of my friends has his own homebrew system. He keeps the entire drat thing in a couple of huge bags because it spans almost 30 years of homebrew everything and is about half a dozen fat 3 ring binders. He's got random tables for character creation and even making something totally random it takes about 45 minutes because you end up rolling about 30 times. If you tried to actually read all of that poo poo to make a character, you'd never finish; there's just too many different potential races, powers, etc. to actually retain. Back when he ran it at our university's game club, I'd see a lot of people just walk away or not show up a second time because there are a ton of "you have several dozen options, for next week pick one of them for this game" style choices and people didn't want to spend all night skimming several books of poo poo to find the gems that they weren't sure existed.

When you have the equivalent of a phone book of just game options, it's pretty much impossible to consider them all, which dilutes the desire to even make the choice and thus play the game. I get wanting to have options, but it's way better to just have a handful of examples and a guideline for more than spelling out every single potentiality.

Hmm, I've never really thought about it that way before. I guess I've just been lucky that I was always surrounded by players that ate up and enjoyed the massive amount of choices. I had no idea I'd created something that could be so intimidating to others. Thanks so much for explaining it to me, though. I feel like I really get what you've been trying to tell me now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

D&D in particular has too many races anyway, not just player races that have to each have their place in the world but also tons of varieties of goblin, kobold and orc, all of which are implied to have at least a degree of civilization and thus also call for being placed in a setting, and it's tough to do that without resorting to creature races as real world nationality analogues.

I solved this problem by having most races all come together to form society like what would happen in a modern world. Sure, there's pockets of different races' culture here and there, but the major towns and cities are melting pots. That way you get plenty of colorful characters who are different kinds of creatures with different powers, but you don't have to worry about where the gremlin city, elf town, or orcville are.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
So part of why there seems to be so many races is that, from what I can tell, you can play as almost any type of sapient species that exists in Shadow's Edge - which leads to some weird things. Like being able to play a rotting, reincarnating mummy that's tied to a sorcerer and permanently dies if they do. Or a dragon, sorry, I mean Draco. Or a Demi-Draco (because when Draco's die people get infused with their essence and gain the ability to turn into them).

Also I'm pretty sure there's several Animorphs references in here and I'm pretty okay with that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd leave it up to the players interpretation and the group's tone how explicit they want to go with it. If you flat out say THEY HAVE SNAKEPUBES you're putting that image in everyone's head, if you just say "all their hair is snakes" it's the group's choice if they immediately yell SNAKEPUBES or restrain themselves to snake chest and armpit hair jokes, but both are equally valid.

On a sidenote: do anyone else's groups get much raunchier as the players get older and married, or just mine?

e: once I described a village of half-elves on the edge of the elven forest and one player burst out "they only come out of the woods to gently caress" and I was like, okay, that is what it says in my notes but dang girl.

Senior citizen dnd:
"The fuckmaster priapus prime buds you farewell with the customary flash of his humongous testicles"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hmm, I've never really thought about it that way before. I guess I've just been lucky that I was always surrounded by players that ate up and enjoyed the massive amount of choices. I had no idea I'd created something that could be so intimidating to others. Thanks so much for explaining it to me, though. I feel like I really get what you've been trying to tell me now.

The other consideration is that basically if a class needs X and Y stats, then only races with bonuses to X and/or Y are real, actual options for that class' build.

Something like WoW manages this by just saying "Race B can only be Class X,Y,Z" to use another example.

Players need to be either able to quickly/easily pare down their choices, or the options just become a barrier of cruft.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My Lovely Horse posted:

These days I often have my players pick races from everything available, and whatever subset they pick is what civilized races there are in the world, period. Well, plus one or two for additional NPCs and/or antagonists. It makes for more interesting settings, too. You picked the Revenant, looks like in this world the dead sometimes come back spontaneously - maybe during the campaign we'll find out why.

I like this approach for if you have to have mechanically distinct races in D&D.

Honestly though? I don't think games actually need mechanically distinct races. I allow it in 4e but the way I do it is in a distinct not giving a poo poo fashion, players just pick the 2 stat bonuses they want, the racial power they want (subject to veto if they try to pull particularly broken Dragon magazine poo poo), and then they can call themselves Crablante the Crab Man for all I care.

It basically prevents this

P.d0t posted:

The other consideration is that basically if a class needs X and Y stats, then only races with bonuses to X and/or Y are real, actual options for that class' build.

Something like WoW manages this by just saying "Race B can only be Class X,Y,Z" to use another example.

Players need to be either able to quickly/easily pare down their choices, or the options just become a barrier of cruft.

From being an issue.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Anniversary posted:

So part of why there seems to be so many races is that, from what I can tell, you can play as almost any type of sapient species that exists in Shadow's Edge - which leads to some weird things. Like being able to play a rotting, reincarnating mummy that's tied to a sorcerer and permanently dies if they do. Or a dragon, sorry, I mean Draco. Or a Demi-Draco (because when Draco's die people get infused with their essence and gain the ability to turn into them).

Also I'm pretty sure there's several Animorphs references in here and I'm pretty okay with that.

That is exactly it. I made a huge list of what kind of creatures existed in the setting, mindless monsters and all. Then I took all the ones that are sentient and could be considered people and just made them playable. Because Shadow's Edge is such a "kitchen sink" game, that left me with a ton of playables. To continue the D&D comparisons from earlier, it's similar to if the games by default let you play as any monster that was intelligent enough to form a society. I always assumed that a lot of DM's let you do that anyway, but like I said in my earlier post, that might have just been my group of players being the odd one out. And yes, you are correct, being present when a Draco or Demi-Draco dies gives you the opportunity to steal that power and become a Demi-Draco yourself.

P.d0t posted:

Funnily enough, WoW not allowing certain Race / Class combos was what led to me saying any Race/Combo was allowed when I very first started GMing. :v:

Combat in SE is supposed to be like how you do it in the "World" games but with turns included, it's mostly just story telling and describing how you use your cool powers. I think there was a super hero game that also handled it like that? So, it's not a bunch of mechanics you need to remember, it's almost almost all descriptors for how stuff functions in the story or what it looks like.

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly though? I don't think games actually need mechanically distinct races. I allow it in 4e but the way I do it is in a distinct not giving a poo poo fashion, players just pick the 2 stat bonuses they want, the racial power they want (subject to veto if they try to pull particularly broken Dragon magazine poo poo), and then they can call themselves Crablante the Crab Man for all I care.

I really like this idea, freedom of character customization and it still fits into 4e's crunchy mechanics.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

I really like this idea, freedom of character customization and it still fits into 4e's crunchy mechanics.

Have you played Strike! yet? Because this is Strike!.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My Lovely Horse posted:

My groups get progressively more crass and bizarre but the crassness is more generally respectful of other people.

It's weird but not bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd say people I play with now are more comfortable with their characters being horny but that may also be that I play with different people now than I did in high school. Like, my character in my 4e campaign may as well be asexual (he's been hit on once or twice but has never doled out anymore more than a shonen protag-style "thank you for the compliment, would you like to fist fight now?" in return), but one of the other PCs is married to someone back home and another is an eladrin so he's obviously Constantly Horny, and everyone seems pretty comfortable and mature about it. The latter character in particular would probably not have either gone over well or been played respectfully in any prior group of mine.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I'd say people I play with now are more comfortable with their characters being horny but that may also be that I play with different people now than I did in high school. Like, my character in my 4e campaign may as well be asexual (he's been hit on once or twice but has never doled out anymore more than a shonen protag-style "thank you for the compliment, would you like to fist fight now?" in return), but one of the other PCs is married to someone back home and another is an eladrin so he's obviously Constantly Horny, and everyone seems pretty comfortable and mature about it. The latter character in particular would probably not have either gone over well or been played respectfully in any prior group of mine.

It's definitely something I've noticed in my own group, too. When we were all teenagers, you'd expect us to be raunchy but it was like our games took place in puritan times or something. As we've gotten older, gotten into serious relationships / married, and whatnot, we've dealt with issues like sex and romance as mature as you possibly can in a fantasy game. It's always done respectfully and just taken as part of everyday life. I wouldn't say that we've gotten more /raunchy/ over the years, per se, but we definitely let characters, as you put it, "be horny" without obsessing over it.

Reene posted:

My groups get progressively more crass and bizarre but the crassness is more generally respectful of other people.

It's weird but not bad.

This, pretty much.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

If everybody is good at improv the latter approach works fine. Hell, if you know your players well enough you can give them just enough rope and sit back while they sabotage each other even if they're not great at improv.

Psychologically I think they're ideal Paranoia players. In Dungeon World they always come up with elaborate and convoluted plans that somehow still have giant gaping holes in them. So I could probably communicate the whole game non-verbaly and they'd concoct something more devious than I ever could.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
On the topic of playable races and character customization I just finished up a new blogpost for The Next Project, discussing some of the directions which the game may branch out in the future.

If anyone has any requests/suggestions, feel free to post in the comments (or here, on the forums.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Random question: I need a playmat carrying tube with some manner of token storage integrated into it. Does such a thing exist? Or will I be better off DIYing something?

• Locked thread