Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

YoRHa radio personalities have a really rough time in these weapon stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

UPDATE ON PREVIOUS PAGE

Yeah, weapon stories continue to be moribund.

The YoRHa seems very human and full of morale problems. LIke, it's holding mainly by inertia and freshly produced and still idealistic androids.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I did the 11B quest just after the next section we're gonna go to, so one certain part of the wording of 11B's last logs rang some alarm bells in my head.

The whole thing is ominous as gently caress even without that, though. There's mentions of a virus of some kind, and only mere seconds afterwards she starts to mentally break down, begins second-guessing herself, gets scared, and eventually panics. Whereas beforehand she was matter-of-fact, target-oriented and concise.
And then there's the quest's resolution. When that ominous music suddenly sets in....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That chip you get from that quest is basically the only defensive chip you'll need on Hard mode for quite a while.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You don't actually need to equip the YoRHa sword to get the discount; you just need to have upgraded it to unlock the ability.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That chip you get from that quest is basically the only defensive chip you'll need on Hard mode for quite a while.

It's also the only Auto- chip that works outside of easy mode and it's real good.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
They must have had a wonderful relationship if she needed a melee defense chip...

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I ran the Auto-Use chip until near the end of the game, and it saved my bacon a number of times.

Poor 24D - no-one told her she got moved to the overnight shift :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alavaria posted:

They must have had a wonderful relationship if she needed a melee defense chip...

It wouldn't be a Taro Yoko game if there weren't that subtle undercurrent of things being really hosed up.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Alavaria posted:

I mean, she is a defensive unit (16D). I'm not sure exactly what their job is, but I'm going to guess it involves defense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It wouldn't be a Taro Yoko game if there weren't that subtle undercurrent of things being really hosed up.

Well, the "subtle" is a variable. Let's be honest here.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Qrr posted:

I mean, she is a defensive unit (16D). I'm not sure exactly what their job is, but I'm going to guess it involves defense.

Yeah, but she states she doesn't need it anymore with 11B gone.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Qrr posted:

Which, when I heard it, made me think that maybe she was gonna kill herself after that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's interesting how that line can feel like it has a complete opposite meaning depending on which choice you make.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Huh. When I turned in that quest I'd already hosed up(?) another quest by telling the truth, so I lied to 16D. She just sort of pined for her lost love and went "But I won't be going to the surface anytime soon, so you take these"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well she said she was kind of abusive and now she doesn't need to defend herself from her lover. That's kind of the worst interpretation but this is a Yoko Taro game so I choose to err on the side of misery

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the "subtle" is a variable. Let's be honest here.
Well usually it gets worse the further you get into the game and this is pretty early on so yeah I guess?

Those weapon stories though...

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A part omitted from TDI's summary of the "don't tell her" choice is that she mentions she's going to become a combat unit. It, like the rest of that option, is rather depressing because you know she's gonna die. It's also a nice contrast to the other option, where she mentioned 11B looked down on her for not being a combat unit.

She does still give you the things for the exact same reason though.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Tune in next time to Chapter 3 of NieR: Automata. In which things get REAL loving weird really fast...

It wouldn't be a Yoko Taro game without this. :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Materant posted:

A part omitted from TDI's summary of the "don't tell her" choice is that she mentions she's going to become a combat unit. It, like the rest of that option, is rather depressing because you know she's gonna die. It's also a nice contrast to the other option, where she mentioned 11B looked down on her for not being a combat unit.

She does still give you the things for the exact same reason though.

Yeah I told the truth and iirc the reasoning is something along the lines of "I need to become a combat unit because she can't protect me anymore" or something like that, so seeing the alternate text is a little :stare:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Materant posted:

That's interesting to me, since we haven't run into any other previous evidence that they could change their model type. I wonder if that's a full remake or just some add-ons or new chips. Also assume if that means a new name, though whether you get the option to just switch letters or you have to become the highest number of your new class is up in the air. Have we met androids that share a number?

The Dark Id posted:

Virtuous Treaty is a fairly viable options throughout the majority

But hey, for early game isn’t not a bad security blanket

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Zagglezig posted:

That's interesting to me, since we haven't run into any other previous evidence that they could change their model type. I wonder if that's a full remake or just some add-ons or new chips.
Well they can probably switch to a new body, new chips, etc. Since levels are a thing they might need to XP grind a bit though ...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Which Which Yoko Taro/Cavia game gets the loving weirdest the loving quickest

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Alavaria posted:

Well they can probably switch to a new body, new chips, etc. Since levels are a thing they might need to XP grind a bit though ...

the difference between a combat/noncombat model is just whether or not you have a copy of caim's brain as a baseline

they keep the original on the moon and it's been used to create every combat model android for 10,000 years

the only side effect is sometimes they try to make pacts with random geckos but that's why they have S-model tagalongs to keep them from getting distracted

Calaveron posted:

I think Drakengard 3 has the fastest time to "what in the gently caress"

I'm not counting N:A because we're not there yet

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Well, Nier begins with a sad dad punching ghosts in the ruins of Tokyo and then immediately smash cuts to "1312 YEARS LATER" and offers zero explanation for the next 30 hours.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

By the 12th update in the Drakengard 3 LP, we had already seen the aftermath of going up against Five and read her and Dito's novellas. I think that's enough to qualify.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

by this point in D3 we already had Dito and Five.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

megane posted:

Well, Nier begins with a sad dad punching ghosts in the ruins of Tokyo and then immediately smash cuts to "1312 YEARS LATER" and offers zero explanation for the next 30 hours.

No, no, it starts with a woman screaming obscenities at a book off-screen, then goes to the sad dad.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Zagglezig posted:

That's interesting to me, since we haven't run into any other previous evidence that they could change their model type. I wonder if that's a full remake or just some add-ons or new chips. Also assume if that means a new name, though whether you get the option to just switch letters or you have to become the highest number of your new class is up in the air. Have we met androids that share a number?

Quote from 9S: "We 9S models are the best around, you know. " So he clearly thinks that more than one 9S exists. On the other hand he thinks they have a lot in common. I wonder if changing your model type also changes your appearance (and possibly gender).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Serifina posted:

No, no, it starts with a woman screaming obscenities at a book off-screen, then goes to the sad dad.

Oh poo poo that's right, so I think Nier 1 starts getting weirder quicker

On the other hand, Drakengard 1 gets really, really, really weird, possibly the weirdest out of at least the Drakengard games

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Qrr posted:

Quote from 9S: "We 9S models are the best around, you know. " So he clearly thinks that more than one 9S exists. On the other hand he thinks they have a lot in common. I wonder if changing your model type also changes your appearance (and possibly gender).

I read that as "there's always a 9S, even if the current one doesn't have all of the previous one's memories", especially given the situation at the time (iirc the 9S we're currently with only has memories from before 2B's prologue insertion? I think they explicitly state that). So as far as 9S is concerned, "someone else" was responsible for all that but it was still a 9S that did it. Presumably every Number-Letter combo also is at least told of what their "predecessors" did if the direct memories aren't retrievable.

e:

Calaveron posted:

Oh poo poo that's right, so I think Nier 1 starts getting weirder quicker

On the other hand, Drakengard 1 gets really, really, really weird, possibly the weirdest out of at least the Drakengard games

Drakengard 1 has 50 foot tall cult leader children, giant floating man-eating babies, and a DDR game with a giant untextured woman in modern day tokyo, with occasional subplots of incest, pedophilia, and pedocannibalism
Drakengard 3 has a protaganist who accidentally took over a country because of pseudo-sisters that sprouted out from a flower in her head, has party members entirely consisting of doves remade in human form, occasionally sprouts wholesale out of the flower in her head, and the game ends with a DDR battle against not one, but five giant untextured women in what's implied to be a modern day city that inexplicably ended up getting dropped in the middle of an alternate reality not-europe. there's also subplots of clone incest, children merged with giants to create super-soldiers, a dude who fucks everything including faeries, a bio-blob homunculus made entirely of orphans, and several dozen versions of a time-traveling weapon saleswoman who's actually an android

I think that D1 being "more weird" than D3 is only because by the time D3 rolls around you're...not expecting that, exactly, but certainly expecting something.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 17, 2017

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

I read that as "there's always a 9S, even if the current one doesn't have all of the previous one's memories", especially given the situation at the time (iirc the 9S we're currently with only has memories from before 2B's prologue insertion? I think they explicitly state that). So as far as 9S is concerned, "someone else" was responsible for all that but it was still a 9S that did it. Presumably every Number-Letter combo also is at least told of what their "predecessors" did if the direct memories aren't retrievable.

Imagine if your past self was a huge loving hero. Imagine the pressure of trying to live up to your own past self.

I feel like that's been done somewhere before.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah that's kind of the backstory to the villain of Mega Man Zero 1. A duplicate of Mega Man X, with none of X's experience, memories or personality, forced into the role of hero and having to decide for himself what that means, turns into a ruthless dictator who oppresses his own kind because all he really gets about the original X is that he fought to save the humans.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Drakengard 3 has a protaganist who accidentally took over a country because of pseudo-sisters that sprouted out from a flower in her head, has party members entirely consisting of doves remade in human form, occasionally sprouts wholesale out of the flower in her head, and the game ends with a DDR battle against not one, but five giant untextured women in what's implied to be a modern day city that inexplicably ended up getting dropped in the middle of an alternate reality not-europe. there's also subplots of clone incest, children merged with giants to create super-soldiers, a dude who fucks everything including faeries, a bio-blob homunculus made entirely of orphans, and several dozen versions of a time-traveling weapon saleswoman who's actually an android

Six! :argh:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

apocalypticCritic posted:

Imagine if your past self was a huge loving hero. Imagine the pressure of trying to live up to your own past self.

I feel like that's been done somewhere before.

9/10 reincarnation plots that dont involve silent protags.

On the topic of what the shittiest, I think D1 is clearly the what the shittiest, for 3 main reasons.

1: Mid Fantasy Setting, with an actual focus on war and "gods". Its not quite Fantasy as gently caress, but nothing lends itself to insanity like wars and gods.
2: We see the setting actually change and go to hell during every ending.
3: It was more personal. Seere was highly invested in his sister. Caim ENJOYED THE poo poo out of murdering everything. Furae's corpse got defiled by her brother's best friend that had a major boner for her and then she killed everything after that turned her into a final boss somehow, also Nowe exists because of that. Elf chick got Iron-ied so god drat hard. I got nothing for Leonard. Racist prick, became the leader of the world after he "encouraged" Caim to murder everything too. I should reread that so I can remember how to spell the names.

D3, probably does get there the fastest but 1 gets there the hardest.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zero doesn't count, it's right there in the name :colbert:

counting is hard

MythosDragon posted:

Furae's corpse got defiled by her brother's best friend that had a major boner for her and then she killed everything after that turned her into a final boss somehow,

wow, you can tell ending E stuck with me more than B because how the gently caress did I forget

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 17, 2017

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Drakengard 3 probably has more 'what the gently caress' parts on paper, but in terms of execution Drakengard 1 is definitely the craziest in the series. 3 starts loud and stays loud. Zero is irreverant and the first thing she does is kill the narrator. Drakengard 1 starts off as a generic - if fairly dark - fantasy Dynasty Warriors clone and slow morphs into the unholy terror it ends up being, with every ending being a goddamn nightmare, which makes things hit much harder.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And by III people knew to expect the unexpected in a Yoko Taro game. Nobody knew the horrors that awaited them inside that harmless, generic looking game back in 2003...

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think the PS2 models helped a bit too. I mean theres just something about the blocky plastic look that aces the tone of Drakengard over Super Model Legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Drakengard 3 is definitely more loving weird, so much that it's bizarre pacing makes you just accepted it's weird bullshit through out. While D1 pops out space babies out of loving nowhere after beating the game 3 times, D3 barely has a plot until you beat it 4 times and get every weapon. I'd say D3 has the opposite effect 1 had, anyone else think that was the intention?

• Locked thread