Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Do you love 5e? Do you miss 3rd party splat book bloat? Do you want to back a project from a creator who's chronically late?

Boy, do I have the Kickstarter for you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/a-touch-of-class-7-new-classes-for-5th-edition

Already 4,400% funded!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Do you love 5e? Do you miss 3rd party splat book bloat? Do you want to back a project from a creator who's chronically late?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/a-touch-of-class-7-new-classes-for-5th-edition

Already 4,400% funded!

I'm pretty sure we established ages ago that all that matters is that there's content being made for D&D. The quality of the content is irrelevant.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ropes4u posted:

Let me know how it plays I missed the KS and plan to order it.

It's pretty fun. Feels sorta like a mixture of Scrabble and Yahtzee. The last couple of rounds really make you think about your final moves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Already 4,400% funded!

Late shouldn't be an issue for this, apparently. It's just a compilation of stuff ENWorld has already published; they say the PDF goes out immediately and printing starts at the same time. Looks like Morrus has learned something.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

Already 4,400% funded!

"Yeah, I know the name says 'walker' and I'm on my rear end, but... y'know... it's just a name, man..."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure we established ages ago that all that matters is that there's content being made for D&D. The quality of the content is irrelevant.

The quality of D&D is also irrelevant.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

The quality of D&D is also irrelevant.

Sadly true.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's pretty fun. Feels sorta like a mixture of Scrabble and Yahtzee. The last couple of rounds really make you think about your final moves.

Worth while purchase then?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Yeah, I know the name says 'walker' and I'm on my rear end, but... y'know... it's just a name, man..."

graphic_design_excellence.png

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ash Law has finally pulled the plug on The Reliquary for 13th Age after 4.5 years. There's a really long backer-only post explaining the situation but it's the exact same story as every failed kickstarter and you already know what happened, even if you've never heard of this project before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's really maddening about that is that they did actually manage to finish the book; the PDF was released like a year ago. The problem was that the book wasn't usable at the table because it was deliberately written with the entries in no kind of order and with no table of contents or index. It was supposed to be "traversed" or some horseshit. Which is fine for a coffee table book but not for RPG reference material.

I mean, at least Ash is fessing up, and it sucks that he got stuck holding the bag, but given that the guy who's got the money seems to have vanished, this is me not holdin' my breath on getting my $25 back.

e: going back to look, the PDF was released back in July. They were going to "fix it" when everyone pointed out that the book was pretty useless as-is.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 14, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you want to read the update, Ash copied it as a public G+ post: https://plus.google.com/+ASHLAW/posts/dprCVHRtTNC

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ropes4u posted:

Worth while purchase then?

Yes. Games that I can play with my family as well as my friends are always a definite purchase for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Ash Law has finally pulled the plug on The Reliquary for 13th Age after 4.5 years. There's a really long backer-only post explaining the situation but it's the exact same story as every failed kickstarter and you already know what happened, even if you've never heard of this project before.

What I'm learning is if you're running a Kickstarter and one guy is promising everything is on schedule but can't get you proof for more than, say, a week....fire his rear end.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What I'm learning is if you're running a Kickstarter and one guy is promising everything is on schedule but can't get you proof for more than, say, a week....fire his rear end.

Also if you're going to be doing all the writing for a Kickstarter and someone else is handling the fulfillment, HOLY poo poo DO NOT pay them $1000 for the privelege. Really, you should get your share of the money as soon as you turn your text in, but my god that looks like it was a shady arrangement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TBH the big mistake looks like ASH LAW going hey "you're good at Kickstarter fulfillment, wanna do mine" before the guy's other Kickstarter still hadn't actually been fulfilled (and unsurprisingly still hasn't been.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Flavivirus posted:

Also if you're going to be doing all the writing for a Kickstarter and someone else is handling the fulfillment, HOLY poo poo DO NOT pay them $1000 for the privelege. Really, you should get your share of the money as soon as you turn your text in, but my god that looks like it was a shady arrangement.

Ideally nobody gets money until they deliver. You make an exception for fulfillment BUT you don't pay some guy, instead you hire a real fulfillment house.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blades in the Dark update

tl;dr: Standard books are estimated to start shipping at the end of the month, special editions a week or two later.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Don't give money without a contract and a mailing address for the other guy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I've been sore at The Reliquary ever since backing it at the 'make your own artifact' level and never hearing a peep about consulting on making my artifact, despite multiple inquiries. Eventually I started hearing the book was basically done and figured I'd just been blown off.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Blades in the Dark update

tl;dr: Standard books are estimated to start shipping at the end of the month, special editions a week or two later.

Awesome, thanks for this. I'm not a backer but I've got a preorder in at CSI.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

palecur posted:

I've been sore at The Reliquary ever since backing it at the 'make your own artifact' level and never hearing a peep about consulting on making my artifact, despite multiple inquiries. Eventually I started hearing the book was basically done and figured I'd just been blown off.

You would be well within your rights to demand a refund of the difference between the level you backed and whatever you actually get.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of The Reliquary, there's a new update from Chris McFann (the guy who was apparently in charge) and the blame shifting has begun.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you want to read the update, Ash copied it as a public G+ post: https://plus.google.com/+ASHLAW/posts/dprCVHRtTNC

So, wait, based on the end there... the years-old project that impressed Ash enough to hire his fulfillment guy also never saw print fulfillment? What a shocker!

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 15, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of The Reliquary, there's a new update from Chris McFann (the guy who was apparently in charge) and the blame shifting has begun.

Haha, what did he say to shift it back? Seems like the guy that cant get his own several years late kickstarter released probably does not have good arguments to shift the blame back.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pash posted:

Haha, what did he say to shift it back? Seems like the guy that cant get his own several years late kickstarter released probably does not have good arguments to shift the blame back.

It's a lot of "yeah I screwed up this and this and that but Ash did that and that".

The best part of the update is the first line:

quote:

Well this isn't how I expected to spend my birthday.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

You would be well within your rights to demand a refund of the difference between the level you backed and whatever you actually get.

I got a PDF, and I don't expect to see anything else, so I guess I'll check what the PDF level cost.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's a lot of "yeah I screwed up this and this and that but Ash did that and that".

The best part of the update is the first line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjcrmE7XRtI

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Mega Man Pixel Tactics has started shipping; a full 2 months ahead of schedule. Always nice to see a project beat it's own projections.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Good afternoon, Friend Computer. I got my copy of Paranoia in the mail today and I found out I actually had access to the PDFs since last August. I am reporting to you that I am not happy but due to the fact that unhappiness does not actually seem to be treasonous in the new edition (and in fact there are really no rules for treason outside of "you have five GTA-style stars and treason starts get handed out at debriefing missions, probably") I feel like my confession is pointless.

Please do not invest in the new edition. Please just continue paying XP. I have many thoughts but my thoughts are this:
  • Group chargen is suited towards making everyone in the group uncomfortable due to the fact that if you take a Skill, the person next to you has to take that exact same skill as a negative. This doesn't strike me as fun. This strikes me as a mechanic perfectly designed to create legitimate Mario Party-style hostility amongst everyone at the table dedicated at the person next to you. It is incredibly reminiscent of Wraith's chargen but with actual mechanical weight.
  • Speaking of mechanical weight, pretty much everything that's new (DAIVs, terrorism) don't really have mechanical weight. Terrorists are just a blank slate problem. DAIVs may or may not exist and only two of them actually give a mechanical benefit in the book. Plus the fact that a DAIV is roleplayed as the person next to you yelling in your ear is just an invitation for assholery.
  • Tying character progression, equipment, money and refreshing innate benefits to your XP pool is not a good idea and has been rightly abandoned even by D&D.
  • Substantial cutbacks on Secret Societies and Mutant Powers to the extent that they're just kind of bland. Sometimes you have duties for the former. Sometimes you can use the latter.
  • The ability to change your skill rankings and stat rankings by burning Moxie Points for good and backup clones is not really a good idea.
  • The different tones of play have been eliminated and the premade missions are basically half in Zap territory for the most part. Pun names run rampant. Puns in general run rampant. This isn't entirely great.
  • No real rules for Treason.
  • Your Fate Points (Moxie) should not double as a Sanity meter and also a Sanity meter is not a great idea.
  • They make a lot about the fact that you've got a buttload of cyberware in your head and then kinda just leave it really open for the GM to figure the gist of that out. The fact that everyone's constantly livestreaming back to the Computer all the time is really underutilized outside of the idea of dead zones.
  • Alpha Complex just feels barren and definitely requires GMs to just come up with stuff. As a whole there are no longer any Junior Citizens and most citizens are decanted as fully-grown, vat-educated Infrareds spat out into the world to do stuff. Yes it's mentioned that the youngest age you can be decanted is 12 and then you can get an education. Nothing is really made of this.
  • Changing the old system of roll-under d20 to a d6 system where you need X successes is certainly an...inspired choice.
  • Really not a fan of the Computer dice idea which is something you must roll at all times and on a 6 the Computer intervenes and automatically helps and costs you a Moxie point.
  • I don't have much to say about the card system because I just...really did not find it to be particularly approachable. This new system has the cards take preference over everything else and playing them is basically like playing the card game Bullshit. Cards are burned to attempt to defend in melee. Cards are burned to use equipment. There are Equipment, Action, Reaction and Mutant Power cards. Everything else boils down to "pick a stat and a skill and you do that after everything card-related has been dealt with".
  • It's really weird when a mission is like "okay so this one item is a card in the deck that the characters get and all of the other items aren't".
  • There's also just a weird juxtaposition between the editions that is best exemplified by the three premade missions that are linked introductions and the last one which is an old mission that boils down to "your current briefing got hijacked to assign you a different mission (paint a corridor) but everyone assumes you're on the original mission (go Outside)".
  • Actually in retrospect there's jack poo poo about Outside. The Sierra Club is swallowed up by the Romantics and mixed into an original society that's so boring I forget the name (Alpha Complex Historical Society Something Something).
  • For real, it feels like they stripped out so much to try to make the game approachable. A d6 system, cards for powers, the fact that it comes in a box with separate books. The result is not something I would call entirely approachable. The result is something I would call "Kickstarted and it shows". Is XP perfect? No. But it honestly does flow faster and better and all of the systems are actually attached and functioning, for better or for worse. I sincerely liked XP's combat approach of "everyone picks an action and they literally all happen at once, no initiative in combat" as opposed to the phases of Card Play.
  • Oh, one last thing: the negative skill ranks. Normally when you roll a pool of dice, 5s and 6s are successes and the others do nothing. When you roll a negative skill, you assemble a positive pool of dice, roll them, count fives and sixes as successes...and then subtract successes depending on how many dice are 1-4. Considering how normally in a dice pool system you want to assemble a large amount of dice at once, why even loving bother rolling a negative skill ever considering that the odds are substantially weighed against you that you'll end up with zero or less successes?

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 16, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Now here's the tough question: is it better or worse than Paranoia 5th Edition? It doesn't exist, mind you, but would it before better than that hypothetical trainwreck of an edition?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Having only heard hearsay about possible treasonous material, I have no idea. Shtick aside, I have never laid eyes on 5 and I could not possibly compare them. This feels like a retooling of mechanics and setting and only half completing both of them, leaving a lot of hollow space and hollow mechanics that don't really come together. As far as I can tell, it at least is capable of theoretically running, but I can't confirm whether or not it will actually be fun. If it's not worse than 5, it's certainly the second-worst Paranoia product out there and I legitimately could not endorse its purchase one way or another.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Hostile V posted:

As far as I can tell, it at least is capable of theoretically running, but I can't confirm whether or not it will actually be fun.
This is an amazing sentence.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So basically they delivered everything they promised, a new edition of Paranoia that doesn't actually get what makes the previous editions of the game fun.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Lucky for us, this Paranoia-inspired Lasers and Feeling hack was posted on Reddit a few days ago:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ME5SdLoG8tn3UmaY4cEl23tjrcyK8cslUNrudEgQbfg/edit

Looks like it does a great job of capturing the feel of Paranoia while actually being, you know, playable.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

Now here's the tough question: is it better or worse than Paranoia 5th Edition? It doesn't exist, mind you, but would it before better than that hypothetical trainwreck of an edition?

Is there an F&F of [redacted] edition? It was the first edition I encountered, and it was long enough ago that I can't recall what was wrong with it, thanks to Friend Computer's mandatory brainscrubs.

My only complaint with this is that it ditches the conceit that players are supposed to pretend they don't know that everyone has a secret society and mutant power.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 16, 2017

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Further thoughts and then I'm done ruminating on these failures and differences:
  • Damage only goes up to Dead. Vaporization no longer exists.
  • Their is an abstract Weight and Encumbrance system now.
  • Free Enterprise uses bartering and attempts to create a new currency from old printing presses. Bartering works better.
  • There are no rules for the IR Market or for acquiring things illegally.
  • Rules for being sneaky and sabotaging things covertly don't really exist, actually. There's a distinct lack of actual ability to act covertly and gently caress over other players. Like, the world is stacked against you but the game most certainly doesn't cultivate that same sense of "bite back or sneak around to survive" found in the previous editions.
  • Damage dealt depends on successes rolled.
  • Items really aren't classified strictly by Clearance anymore. Instead there are levels Apha-5 with each level encompassing a certain range of Clearances; Alpha is all Red-level tech, level 1 is Orange and Yellow stuff, 2 is Green, 3 has Indigo stuff, 4 and 5 have highly illegal things. The system is incredibly arbitrary and the equipment lists don't actually list level, only the item cards do. It is...kind of a nightmare and because the treason rules don't really work, you can kinda just have a minigun and that's okay as long as you don't have 4 or 5 stars.
  • In retrospect this game just feels like an attempt to tap into a videogame that doesn't really exist, adapt it to tabletop settings and then put the Paranoia name on it.

I think the thing that ultimately explains the major differences between this and the previous edition is as follows: rules for laser guns.

OTHER PARANOIA EDITIONS: You get a laser pistol. It shoots colors depending on the barrels attached. You get six safe shots off that barrel before the barrel cracks and then you have to deal with a risk/reward malfunction system where every further shot risks the gun exploding and killing you. If you have a Yellow barrel, you can paint it Red and lie about its clearance. Red paint can be bought at the IR Market and so can more Red Barrels because PLC keeps declining your requests. The Computer makes Troubleshooters go to Troubleshooter school so they have a minimum competency, so in XP you get a free +4 boost to your Energy Weapons skill.

KICKSTARTER PARANOIA: You get a laser pistol. It runs on battery packs. It will only shoot the color of the entire gun. The battery packs charge off wall sockets and run out of juice on failures or whenever it's funny or dramatic. There are no prices for higher clearance guns. If you want new battery packs, you buy them directly from the Computer. There are no rules for disguising a higher clearance gun as a lower clearance gun. There are no rules for the gun jamming or exploding outside of rare cards. There are no rules for being sneaky with your gun outside of certain cards. There are no rules for the IR Market. You don't get any education on how to use your new gun; your ability to use your gun depends on your Guns skill which is either what you set it to be or the person next to you made it be a negative score. If you want to be better at Guns from character creation, permanently sacrifice Moxie points which lowers you ability to fudge rolls and limits your Sanity meter. If you don't do that, you have to spend XP later which is also your money.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 16, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
A Kickstarter for a new miniatures game, The Drowned Earth, is up. It looks cool, an interesting idea, and a cool take on the bloat of post-apocalyptic miniatures games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remind me again what was so wrong with Paranoia XP that we needed a new edition that hosed everything up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

I think the thing that ultimately explains the major differences between this and the previous edition is as follows: rules for laser guns.

Hmm, I thought that was a subtle but incredibly poorly thought out joke about Mass Effect.

My takeaway moment that this edition probably doesn't 'get it' is that they removed Communists.