Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box posted:

1080p is almost 40% more pixels than 720p, that's a huge difference.

Bigger than that, even.

1280x720 (720p 16x9)=921,600 pixels.
1600x900 (900p 16x9)=1,440,000 pixels.
1960x1080 (1080p 16x9)=2,073,600 pixels.

1080p is ~2.2 times as detailed as 720p. 1080p is roughly 50% more detailed as 900p.

I think that's the reason they're calling 2160p 4k. People weren't getting the scope of what the numbers meant and thought "That's not a big increase!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's amazing how far we've come. I remember importing Super Circuit because I wanted a portable MK so bad. I really hope Nintendo continues DLC for Deluxe. I'd buy that poo poo yearly and be excited every time.

What makes Mario Kart 8 so amazing is that it really does open up ALL of Nintendo franchises to being represented in fun ways.

I want Earthbound courses. I want more Zelda courses. I want more F-Zero courses. I want Metroid courses. Gimmie a Star Fox course, theme an entire cup off Splatoon. Just go nuts, Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 showed that it could work, and be brilliant. If there's anything that's going to justify a Switch to me, it'll be Mario Kart 8 support forever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TerraGoetia posted:

Buy Wonder Boy in two days.

No don't, it's bad.

Do the shovel then do the kart

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Bigger than that, even.

1280x720 (720p 16x9)=921,600 pixels.
1600x900 (900p 16x9)=1,440,000 pixels.
1960x1080 (1080p 16x9)=2,073,600 pixels.

1080p is ~2.2 times as detailed as 720p. 1080p is roughly 50% more detailed as 900p.

I think that's the reason they're calling 2160p 4k. People weren't getting the scope of what the numbers meant and thought "That's not a big increase!"

ahhh okay, i admit i was just going off the top of my head so i figured my math was way off. thanks for the clarification :)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

monkeu posted:

Yes. Go back to pc gaming if you're so concerned about resolution and voice chat with pubbies you loving turbo nerds

I like voice chat with friends garbage nerd

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Infinitum posted:

All I know is

potable Mario Kart

Lick the cart

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Don't lick the cart

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm going to make my one year old lick the cart.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bass Bottles posted:

Don't lick the cart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXbU_UI-lAg

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

InFlames235 posted:

The only way it goes away is when 8K becomes more standard

Good luck getting an 85 inch TV screen into your house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdhOQ3N9a4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mace Bacon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdhOQ3N9a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBF5bewa0ts

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
A guy not far away from me named Frank just got a 2000 inch TV. I can watch the Simpsons from a few blocks away. Pretty sure its 4k.

edit:

gently caress YOU Ursine Catastrophe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mace Bacon posted:

My father in law has one in a tiny room with a single loveseat and subwoofer on the back wall

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The graphics on the switch are great, I have no idea what everyone is complaing about. I am more impressed with Zelda graphics than I am running Doom on Ultra settings at 180fps on my PC.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 17, 2017

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I've been known to get caught up in tech talk too. In fact I bought a new MSI laptop recently with GTX 1060 in it, and pretty max stats. Played two AAA titles, then the rest has been pretty basic metroidvania, platformers, and pixel stuff.

Not that tech stuff isn't fun, but I think I'm getting a clearer understanding of the games I have the most fun with, and Switch is scratching that itch right now.

It WOULD be amazing if I could get all I want in one package but nobody is doing that. Well, I could get it on my laptop, but it's not really portable enough for me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

KingEup posted:

The graphics on the switch are great, I have no idea what everyone is complaing about. I am more impressed with Zelda graphics than I am running Doom on Ultra settings at 180fps on my PC.

You're mistaking art direction for graphics my man

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

KingEup posted:

Unironically :same:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Norns posted:

You're mistaking art direction for graphics my man

Those jaggies my dude

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

KingEup posted:

BotW is my favorite Zelda and maybe my favorite game ever... but graphically impressive it is not. And that is okay!

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Would that make me a furry?

eonwe posted:

shovel knight

baram. posted:

blaster master 0

and shovel knight

Dr Cheeto posted:

Snipperclips, Shovel Knight, and Fast RMX are all great choices imo

So I created a USA Nintendo Account, bought a $50 gift card, and just downloaded the shovel knight. Lets hope it's gud!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

BotW is my favorite Zelda and maybe my favorite game ever... but graphically impressive it is not. And that is okay!

It is graphically impressive in the sense that Journey on the PlayStation is graphically impressive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll take art direction over graphics any day. It's the main reason so many Nintendo games age well in comparison.

That said, I'm still an idiot that would line up to get a more powerful New Switch in a year or two.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

pippy posted:

So I created a USA Nintendo Account, bought a $50 gift card, and just downloaded the shovel knight. Lets hope it's gud!

Wait, where are you that Shovel Knight isn't out?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

There's a reason people are nostalgic for the N64, but not the PS1.
PS1 had some great games that have not aged well.
N64 has some great games that also haven't aged as well, but the art direction hides a lot of it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly with me posted:

N64 has some great games that also haven't aged as well, but the art direction hides a lot of it.

Agree and it's more noticeable with the gen after that. A lot of GC games hold up much better than many PS2/Xbox ones.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fly with me posted:

Yes, the incomparable art direction of N64 games

There are plenty of games from the PS1 era that people hold a great deal of nostalgia for, to pretend otherwise is to be posting in the Nintendo Switch thread I guess.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can have both art direction and technical quality. I think BotW looks great but I'd like it even more if it was 1080p. However I am glad the Switch is the portable hybrid I hoped it would be, and if this is the best they can do while keeping a reasonable price point, that's an OK tradeoff. That doesn't mean I still can't wish the games looked crisper.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
V I D E O G A M E S
I
D
E
O
G
A
M
E
S

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

You can have both art direction and technical quality. I think BotW looks great but I'd like it even more if it was 1080p. However I am glad the Switch is the portable hybrid I hoped it would be, and if this is the best they can do while keeping a reasonable price point, that's an OK tradeoff. That doesn't mean I still can't wish the games looked crisper.

They probably could have done better than an apparently stock tegra from 2014 at a reasonable pricepoint if it were a more traditional handset that didnt need all the joycon engineering/r+d.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
HIDEO

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Real hurthling! posted:

They probably could have done better than an apparently stock tegra from 2014 at a reasonable pricepoint if it were a more traditional handset that didnt need all the joycon engineering/r+d.

Removable controls are part of the gimmick.

I tried playing a friend's switch in co-op mode with Blaster Master zero. Single joycons are easily the worst controllers I've held since the original NES, and they don't even have the benefit of a solid d-pad anymore. Which is crazy because the Pro Controller is easily one of the best controllers I've ever held. I would pay for some sort of ridiculous attachment where the switch is securely connected to the pro controller.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Infinitum posted:

Wait, where are you that Shovel Knight isn't out?

It was but it was actually cheaper that way. And i'll be getting some other games that are region locked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Real hurthling! posted:

X1 is 2015. There's not much out there in the ARM space that's much faster today. The Adreno 530 in the SD820 is about equal with the X1. The SD835 may be step up, but we are only talking 30% at best which isn't going to give that much more headroom. If you thought stock shortages were bad now, it would probably be into next year until the SD835 was available in quantity since the supply is bring used by Samsung.

The minute the decision was made to make it a mobile console, it was automatically put in this performance envelope. There really aren't any other choices out there to make it faster.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fly with me posted:

uh lol

ignoring the fact that the N64 came out 2 years after the PS1, there are a hell of a lot of PS1 games that people are nostalgic for and look fine even today-- final fantasy 7-9 (okay, maybe just 9 if you don't have nostalgia goggles), crash bandicoot, spyro, chrono cross off the top of my head and I didn't even have one as a kid

mario 64 may be the obvious go-to for the N64 but for every n64 game that's aged well there's 10 bargain basement trash games relegated to history's scrapheap, just like every system

it's not like nintendo has or had a monopoly on "art direction"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Agree and it's more noticeable with the gen after that. A lot of GC games hold up much better than many PS2/Xbox ones.

how many non-Nintendo GC games are you thinking of when you say this? just honestly curious, because "Nintendo being better with working within their own technical limitations than 3rd parties trying to port titles from more powerful consoles" is not a new thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

X1 is 2015. There's not much out there in the ARM space that's much faster today. The Adreno 530 in the SD820 is about equal with the X1. The SD835 may be step up, but we are only talking 30% at best which isn't going to give that much more headroom. If you thought stock shortages were bad now, it would probably be into next year until the SD835 was available in quantity since the supply is bring used by Samsung.

The minute the decision was made to make it a mobile console, it was automatically put in this performance envelope. There really aren't any other choices out there to make it faster.

there was a lot of talk about customization of the chip but teardowns show that none of that work was in hardware and instead seems to all be in the custom tools and software. i think the switch is fine personally but nvidia sort of misrepresented what they had done from nintendo in their press releases last year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pippy posted:

its rly good

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has there been any confirmation from reputable sources on how MK8 runs on actual Switch?

I see a lot of people saying poo poo like "well since it ran flawlessly on Wii-U etc etc..." and I mean, sure, common logic states we can infer...

But folks have been thrown for a loop before.

Here's hoping, though!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

how many non-Nintendo GC games are you thinking of when you say this? just honestly curious, because "Nintendo being better with working within their own technical limitations than 3rd parties trying to port titles from more powerful consoles" is not a new thing

I meant 1st party when I said that. There were a few 3rd party games that looked amazing though. REmake and RE4 come to mind.

Feenix posted:

Has there been any confirmation from reputable sources on how MK8 runs on actual Switch?

I see a lot of people saying poo poo like "well since it ran flawlessly on Wii-U etc etc..." and I mean, sure, common logic states we can infer...

But folks have been thrown for a loop before.

Here's hoping, though!

Review copies should start showing up to people soon so we should know then. I really hope there's no issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Real hurthling! posted:

there was a lot of talk about customization of the chip but teardowns show that none of that work was in hardware and instead seems to all be in the custom tools and software. i think the switch is fine personally but nvidia sort of misrepresented what they had done from nintendo in their press releases last year.

Regardless, there's no magic bullet in the ARM space that would allow Nintendo to make a handheld console and run graphically complex games at 1080p at high frame rates. The hardware just doesn't exist.

Something like Borderlands 2 is about the limit of what the console is going to be able to handle at 1080p and even that is probably going to have an average frame rate below 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

pippy posted:

It was but it was actually cheaper that way. And i'll be getting some other games that are region locked.

:hfive: Screwed via region pricing buddy

• Locked thread