Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Clarste posted:

Wouldn't they run into annoying legal issues with Dungeons & Dining?
Possibly, in which case they could've just used one of the other ones.

There had to be something they could've come up with beyond a blunt-force direct translation of the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
"Delicious in Dungeon" is still close enough to DnD to count

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Dungeon Meshi except Senshi is replaced by Guy Fieri

coathat
May 21, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Delicious Dungeon
Dungeon Food
Dungeon Dining
Dungeons & Dining
Dungeons & Delicacies
Beat Bobby Flay

Could've used any of these titles, Yen. Literally any of them.

Those are all worse titles. You are not smarter than the lovely Kui Ryoko

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Except the Japanese word Meshi means "Food" or "Cooked (Rice)," so Dungeon Food (the second title on that list) is literally what she named it.

Which is a fine name, and what it's going by in Italy.

coathat
May 21, 2007

She also literally named it Delicious in Dungeon in English

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah and togashi said that the english spelling of chrollo's name is quwrof wrlccywrlir. just because someone is a talented writer and artist doesn't mean they can speak other languages well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
HxH official romanizations will always hold a special place in my heart

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah and togashi said that the english spelling of chrollo's name is quwrof wrlccywrlir. just because someone is a talented writer and artist doesn't mean they can speak other languages well.

I didn't know he was welsh

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Ey what's up it's that time of the month again

Featuring the B-crew when we last saw them ages ago.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Well drat, poo poo got serious.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I like B-Crew and am looking forward to when B-crew and A-crew meet up. My guess is they are going to clash at first but then realize that their goals align.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's that time of the month again, and we're introducing a C-Crew I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
both those parties are cute as heck

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Excuse me, I think you'll find the Gnome-couple's group are actually B-crew, these losers are C-crew, and clearly Fionil, Donny & Co are the official D-crew. Obsessed Samurai Dude's gonna have to settle for E.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
That is A Lot Of Crews!!!

I wonder if there's something weird with the translation, because Kabru making the statement that "those two are not good, honest people" after explaining that they had been duped into giving people who they thought were injured or otherwise infirm free cash is kind of weird.
Or Kabru thought they were in on it or something, but that doesn't come across at all.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
That Samurai is such a deliberately stereotypical japanese protagonist that he even comes with his own harem. Judging by the Dog-man's reaction, the hooded ninja must be a catgirl.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I wonder if there's something weird with the translation, because Kabru making the statement that "those two are not good, honest people" after explaining that they had been duped into giving people who they thought were injured or otherwise infirm free cash is kind of weird.
Or Kabru thought they were in on it or something, but that doesn't come across at all.

Maybe he just can't believe that anyone could be that altruistic. They're only acting nice to cover up their evil schemes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got the impression that he thought they were involved in some kind of insurance scam.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well, unfortunately the original Japanese is also sort of confusing and abrupt. Kabru basically just gives the story and then shits on Laius and Farlyn without explaining what he thinks they did wrong. I think you're supposed to make the assumption that he thinks the two of them are a part of the scheme (or possibly are just naive and gullible enough not to know how their money is used), but it's not conveyed very well in the text. I tried to make it as clear as possible in the translation, but I'm sorry if it didn't make much sense!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Kabru might be twisted in some way.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think he's being shown as a very good manipulator who thinks he's the protagonist. I strongly suspect his ambition is not quite as pure as he says.

I'm really liking the design for the club-wielding Oni girl ( Oni-chan? Sorry ) and the new crew in general.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Maybe he just likes Ayn Rand? I mean for all we know it could be a legitimate veterans organization and he's just going "Altruism! Parasites! :argh:"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Venturing down to the third level? Forget it Donny, you're out of your element!

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Squidster posted:

I'm really liking the design for the club-wielding Oni girl ( Oni-chan? Sorry ) and the new crew in general.

She immediately suggests that they cook up the giant snake, and gets shot down by her teammate. I'm guessing she'll join Laius's crew at some point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like how, basically out of nowhere, we have team :japan: with a sexy thigh-high stocking miniskirt ninja, a miko, a cute oni, and a goddamn samurai. It makes it feel like they're in a videogame or something and some folks who got the latest expansion wandered into this part of the server.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kabru is definitely an rear end in a top hat and I do not like him. His buddies are okay, though, especially Good Dog Boy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
...huh. Samurai dude isn't a retcon, he's actually there from the very first pages.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Kabru is a textbook sociopath. He's manipulative, charming/handsome (judging from the blushes of the ninja girls), grandiose sense of self (sees himself as protagonist/wants to displace the dungeon warden or something), and he likes studying people??? that sounds sociopathic to me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is now a good time to catch up with Dungeon Meshi? I haven't read it in a while and think I only got to chapter 17 or so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If Dungeon Meshi were a traditional five-act play, I'd say we were starting the 4th act now.

Feel free to laugh at this post in two years or whenever it turns out I'm wrong again, just like the last time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think there is a bad time to catch up to dungeon meshi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just read up to the current chapter, and Kabru is definitely some sort of crazy/sociopath. It's really obvious that his ability to manipulate people is being put on display, and he seems to be capable of killing people with far too little hesitation.

He actually makes a kind of interesting potential antagonist in the sense that he isn't particular powerful in terms of combat (though he's definitely very competent, at least against humanoids). His ability to manipulate people into helping him seems like his biggest strength.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Bad Seafood posted:

If Dungeon Meshi were a traditional five-act play, I'd say we were starting the 4th act now.

Feel free to laugh at this post in two years or whenever it turns out I'm wrong again, just like the last time.

Well now they're guaranteed to have at least two more dungeons they have to go to.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of morally questionable people in DUngeon Meshi though

Remember when Laius was pushing really hard for his right to eat sentient humanoid creatures and then just settled for tricking his party into eating their eggs instead

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I just read up to the current chapter, and Kabru is definitely some sort of crazy/sociopath. It's really obvious that his ability to manipulate people is being put on display, and he seems to be capable of killing people with far too little hesitation.

He actually makes a kind of interesting potential antagonist in the sense that he isn't particular powerful in terms of combat (though he's definitely very competent, at least against humanoids). His ability to manipulate people into helping him seems like his biggest strength.

Oh yeah he's sociopathic as gently caress. Also, I get the feeling he's suspicious of Laius and Farlyn because he simply doesn't understand their altruism. When it comes to general adventuring he doesn't suspect people, because he can see they're getting something out of it. When looking at those two giving their money away he gets suspicious because he can't see that they're getting anything out of it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell, even Chilchak said "The ones helping you out free of charge? These are the really suspicious ones you need to watch out for."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, the setting isn't shy about how Resurrection is always a possibility so I'd imagine people care less about killing someone since they'll probably be back in two days.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yeah but for resurrection you need a corpse, or at least bones. That's why it's proper manners, when you run into a corpse, to put it someplace it'll be found by someone capable of casting the correct spell (or, failing that, carrying it back to the surface). Kabru and his team killed the other party and dumped their bodies into the lake.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that other "party" whose plan it was to get Kabru's and Laius' party to kill each other and then mop up any remaining survivors, to make some quick cash at the low cost of some fatal trauma for some people

Not that i didn't think the response was harsh, but man, when death isn't even a real issue you can threaten someone with, these jokers would've been back to their extremely hosed up racket within days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

Yeah but for resurrection you need a corpse, or at least bones. That's why it's proper manners, when you run into a corpse, to put it someplace it'll be found by someone capable of casting the correct spell (or, failing that, carrying it back to the surface). Kabru and his team killed the other party and dumped their bodies into the lake.

Yeah, he basically permakilled them unless they're REALLY lucky and some people randomly happen to search the bottom of that lake for corpses within the day or two it would take for their bodies to get scavenged beyond repair.