Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Casimir Radon posted:

Please name some prominent interracial couples in American media in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Idiots lost their poo poo a few years ago because of a biracial family in a Cheerios ad.

Would Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball work for you? Though that's the 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone wants examples of biracial couples in movies here's some handy lists of examples going back to 1915:
395 movies with black women/white men couples
175 movies with black men/white women couples

Of course many of those depictions were problematic in some way:

quote:

A University of Florida study of blockbuster Hollywood films between 1967 and 2005 concluded that the media is stuck on specific portrayals of interracial relationships: in the movies sampled, 42 percent of female characters in such pairings were victims of violence. "While white women in interracial relationships came across as either morally corrupt or socially inept or as victims of physical or sexual abuse, women of color who become involved with white men were often presented as erotic, exotic and possessing exceptional talents." And although it is statistically more likely for black men to 'marry out' of their race, the movie industry seems less keen on interracial couples with black men. According to this informal accumulation of movies with interracial couples, there are twice as many films featuring white men with black women than black men with white women.
https://bitchmedia.org/post/will-interracial-relationships-ever-be-common-on-tv

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Missisippi Masala dude.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Thank god Babalú ended racism.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think you will find that racism was ended by Kevin James with Rosario Dawson in Zookeeper and with Salma Hayek in Here Comes The Boom. :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All this talk about on screen interracial couples makes me want to rewatch John Cassavetes' Shadows.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

True Colors was a show from the 90s that had an interracial marriage (black man/white woman) with kids from their previous relationships, it is literally the only show that had my life growing up on tv. After M*A*S*H and Night Court also had characters in interracial marriages, and those are just the comedies I can think of off the top of my head, none of which ended the world.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who was the interracial couple in Night Court? I haven't seen that show in a very long time. I'm surprised that's not streaming anywhere.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone wants examples of biracial couples in movies here's some handy lists of examples going back to 1915:
395 movies with black women/white men couples
175 movies with black men/white women couples

Of course many of those depictions were problematic in some way:

You think?
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman"
"Junkie white girl ‘sold’ to black drug dealer"
"White woman in blackface has an affair with Abolitionist Senator; “the great leader's weakness that is to blight a nation.”
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman marries white man"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman; her “secret” past almost wrecks her marriage to white man Barrymore"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman “passes” for white"
"“Tragic Mulatto” played by white woman Gardner. Lena Horne had the part, until MGM chief Louis B. Mayer stepped in and refused to show a real interracial couple onscreen"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman (Lombard is a mix of Lakota, Russian, and Swiss)"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who was the interracial couple in Night Court? I haven't seen that show in a very long time. I'm surprised that's not streaming anywhere.

Mac and Quon Le.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 16, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Mac and Quon Le.

While they're technically interracial, both are minorities, so they wouldn't count toward challenging that dynamic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

White Lucille Ball and Latino Desi Arnez was probably not all that hard to sell since they actually were married, and neither of them was black.

Alhazred posted:

You think?
"White woman in blackface has an affair with Abolitionist Senator; “the great leader's weakness that is to blight a nation.”
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman; her “secret” past almost wrecks her marriage to white man Barrymore"
"“Tragic Mulatto” played by white woman Gardner. Lena Horne had the part, until MGM chief Louis B. Mayer stepped in and refused to show a real interracial couple onscreen"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman (Lombard is a mix of Lakota, Russian, and Swiss)"
Walking Tall pretty nonchalantly showed a biracial marriage as a positive thing.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

You think?

It seems weird to me how Hollywood consistently tries to sell itself as progressive on many issues but particularly race, and yet is also consistently more racist than the average American (racist as the average American may be!).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Shoveler and his black wife in Kinka Usher's seminal classic "Mystery Men"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

True Colors was a show from the 90s that had an interracial marriage (black man/white woman) with kids from their previous relationships, it is literally the only show that had my life growing up on tv. After M*A*S*H and Night Court also had characters in interracial marriages, and those are just the comedies I can think of off the top of my head, none of which ended the world.

The Jeffersons also had Tom and Helen Willis although it was a running theme that George disapproved of their marriage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvgUAymSPM

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone explain about the Dallas shower scene? I don't want to be Googling any shower scenes at work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Leavemywife posted:

Can someone explain about the Dallas shower scene? I don't want to be Googling any shower scenes at work.

"It was all a dream!" Seriously. Duffy's character was dead, and his wife woke up find him alive and in the shower, and it turned out the last season had all been a dream, and Duffy had never died.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

A major character on Dallas, Bobby Ewing (Patrick Duffy), was killed during a season finale, being run over by his sister-in-law. His wife, Pam (Victoria Principal), remarries the following season. However, at the end of the season, she wakes up, hears her husband in the shower, except it isn't her new husband, but Bobby. The entire season had been a dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs

e:fb

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I think you will find that racism was ended by Kevin James with Rosario Dawson in Zookeeper and with Salma Hayek in Here Comes The Boom. :colbert:

Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek in Fools Rush In is one of my faves.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

21 Muns posted:

It seems weird to me how Hollywood consistently tries to sell itself as progressive on many issues but particularly race, and yet is also consistently more racist than the average American (racist as the average American may be!).

I always thought the idea behind all that market testing was that Hollywood was attempting to be precisely as racist as the average American?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lo Pan picking Kim Cattral as his green eyed wife rather than the other chinese actress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Lo Pan picking Kim Cattral as his green eyed wife rather than the other chinese actress
Actually he picked them both.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

He picked the asian one to keep and Kim Cattrall to sacrifice.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/853758133637918722

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That is good news. Also, lmao that one comment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't that movie a huge flop?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I dunno. It was a pretty fun movie though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

It opened at pretty much the same time as Josh Trank's Fantastic Four and made significantly less money. :v:

.... but Henry Cavill is pretty hot right now so why not spin that wheel again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I can see Hammer and Cavill muscling (:rimshot:) a sequel into actually getting made. It's a great potential franchise for each of them that shows off what makes them both fun, and they're both kind of stuck in the same spot career-wise: a few really solid performances in smaller stuff and a handful of big actioners that don't really show off their range or personalities well.

If WB wants to keep them happy (with Hammer's rumored presence for either Green Lantern or Shazam) then it just might happen. I could see Cavill extending his Superman contract for another film in exchange for another Napoleon Solo go-around, since that role is where most of his acting praise comes from.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd definitely go see a sequel to it, the first was a pretty fun movie.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd definitely go see a sequel to it, the first was a pretty fun movie.

Same. Really enjoyed the first move and definitely will see the sequel whenever it comes out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I can see Hammer and Cavill muscling (:rimshot:) a sequel into actually getting made. It's a great potential franchise for each of them that shows off what makes them both fun, and they're both kind of stuck in the same spot career-wise: a few really solid performances in smaller stuff and a handful of big actioners that don't really show off their range or personalities well.

If WB wants to keep them happy (with Hammer's rumored presence for either Green Lantern or Shazam) then it just might happen. I could see Cavill extending his Superman contract for another film in exchange for another Napoleon Solo go-around, since that role is where most of his acting praise comes from.
It's absolutely shocking how likable they both are in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Young Freud posted:

So, Dwayne Johnson's entire public persona is like this scene with him in Southland Tales...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9w0EtOT48&t=59s

Well this movie sucks. Those three minutes are more than enough for me.

raditts posted:

Wait, are people trying to argue that Hollywood isn't still racist as poo poo or something, what in the world is going on here

Yeah, I felt that way too. The way they retconned him from cold blooded murderer who killed one of their crew to "actually he's a good guy who only did bad things for FAMILY" was kind of a bridge too far in plausibility, which is saying a lot for this movie.
Of course, that does not rule out Han returning from the dead at some point. We've still got two of these movies to go, after all.

But that's how he comes across in FF7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRqxHOCvnpo

He does heinous poo poo, and he's not happy about it, but he feels a duty to his brother. Which is cool.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Shageletic posted:

But that's how he comes across in FF7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRqxHOCvnpo

He does heinous poo poo, and he's not happy about it, but he feels a duty to his brother. Which is cool.

It may be blasphemy to say, but I actually think I like Statham a bit more when he's not trying to be Grizzled McActionGuy. Granted his performance in Crank and Crank 2 obviously made those films what they were, but one of my all time favorite Statham movies was actually Snatch, in which he wound up playing a more dopey, low key role.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Statham was fantastic in Spy, which is probably also Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy's best film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In F8 Statham has a scene which plays off how goofy and charming he can be.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I always thought in addition to Crank 1 and 2, that the first Transporter movie was Statham's big breakout role and considered a good action movie all things considered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Young Freud posted:

So, Dwayne Johnson's entire public persona is like this scene with him in Southland Tales...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9w0EtOT48&t=59s

Considering their history in Southland Tales and The Rundown, the F&F franchise can go for the Rock/Sean William Scott three-peat.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Shageletic posted:

Movie is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man from UNCLE seems like an Austin Powers type franchise - the first movie does ok but everyone who watches it on video likes it enough to go see the sequel and it has a very strong opening.

• Locked thread