Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Holy Christ he's an android with infinite stamina and poo poo let SOMEONE just bullshit the ability to match and defeat an Inconquerable Saiyan for once

I swear the more I read the more it seems all people want is for everyone to messily die if Goku so much as touches them while blue or dare raise a fist against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

17 was designed to kill Goku, it's weird that he would be able to actually accomplish that

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Aurora posted:

17 was designed to kill Goku, it's weird that he would be able to actually accomplish that

Some part of me wonders if 17 didn't feel a sudden and overwhelming sensation of fulfillment when Goku asked to fight him

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

On the one hand, it is a little weird that this godly power that took a ritual to even achieve can be matched by a some guy who trained real hard sorta. On the other hand, you could kinda say that the Androids being able to outmatch the Z fighters during their first appearance came out of nowhere so eh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

On the one hand, it is a little weird that this godly power that took a ritual to even achieve can be matched by a some guy who trained real hard sorta. On the other hand, you could kinda say that the Androids being able to outmatch the Z fighters during their first appearance came out of nowhere so eh.

The godly power that took a ritual to even achieve is something that a really good hitman stood up to.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

ImpAtom posted:

The godly power that took a ritual to even achieve is something that a really good hitman stood up to.

Hit vs Android 17 would own.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black August posted:

Some part of me wonders if 17 didn't feel a sudden and overwhelming sensation of fulfillment when Goku asked to fight him
It sounds like 17 has reached the bulletproof stage of enlightenment, and is wiser than most of the case. Maybe not Roshi or Big Green.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope when they go to recruit Master Roshi he turns super buff and beats the gently caress out of SSjB KKx20 Goku to show off his new training.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I love me some Goku but I am now well far into the thickets of wanting to see this tournament destroy everything he ever knew and loved about fighting just to tear him down a few pegs for once

I'd love to see Jiren no sell his battle love every single second of the fight until it's just a humorless, joyless slog for the Saiyan having to ring-out a lot of angry, hateful, desperate people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly they use ssb way too much and it stopped feeling particularly powerful real fast. the show does have a problem of making all these form changes feel interchangeable. they could do better on that front

I don't really care that 17 or w/e can fight goku in ssb, but at the same time it doesn't feel particularly impressive that he can do that at this point because so can everyone else apparently. it's legit pretty funny that goku hit a peak and the only way he could break past it was to literally become a god, but then everyone else, up to and including krillin, could at least put up a fight with (or even match) his shiny new form by doing some cardio for a week

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nessus posted:

It sounds like 17 has reached the bulletproof stage of enlightenment, and is wiser than most of the case. Maybe not Roshi or Big Green.

I mean more in the sense of like, suddenly feeling something click into place because his express made purpose was Gotta Kill Goku. So when the man is ASKING you to fight him after all these years, it must be like getting a little splinter out of your toe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

honestly they use ssb way too much and it stopped feeling particularly powerful real fast. the show does have a problem of making all these form changes feel interchangeable. they could do better on that front

I don't really care that 17 or w/e can fight goku in ssb, but at the same time it doesn't feel particularly impressive that he can do that at this point because so can everyone else apparently. it's legit pretty funny that goku hit a peak and the only way he could break past it was to literally become a god, but then everyone else, up to and including krillin, could at least put up a fight with (or even match) his shiny new form by doing some cardio for a week

It's explicitly a plot point that Krillin didn't actually stand a chance and instead had to figure out how to manipulate the rules, while likewise Goku can't actually go at full power without risking killing people which is against the rules.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Momomo posted:

Goku fighting someone unnecessarily? Why that's not like him at all.

It's not that it's out of character for him to ask (and if you say no he physically bullies people into it) but "you kinda need to establish that these guys can still go" is just not true in all but Krillin's case (and only then because the first 'Krillin Gets His Groove Back' two-parter they did was dogshit).

The more time they spend building the team up the more I fear they won't last long enough to do anything in the actual tournament.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's not that it's out of character for him to ask (and if you say no he physically bullies people into it) but "you kinda need to establish that these guys can still go" is just not true in all but Krillin's case (and only then because the first 'Krillin Gets His Groove Back' two-parter they did was dogshit).

The more time they spend building the team up the more I fear they won't last long enough to do anything in the actual tournament.

The team isn't going to be fighting Goku in the tournament and they instead seem to be setting up "here is how all of these guys can be relevant in the tournament."

Obviously some of them are going to get Ring Out'd because it's necessary for drama if nothing else but there's a good chance everyone will get at least one good fight. (And then Piccolo will jump in front of a blast for Gohan and get knocked out of the stage.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's explicitly a plot point that Krillin didn't actually stand a chance and instead had to figure out how to manipulate the rules, while likewise Goku can't actually go at full power without risking killing people which is against the rules.

he pushed the beam back for a second and that qualifies for putting up a fight

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

The team isn't going to be fighting Goku in the tournament and they instead seem to be setting up "here is how all of these guys can be relevant in the tournament."

Obviously some of them are going to get Ring Out'd because it's necessary for drama if nothing else but there's a good chance everyone will get at least one good fight. (And then Piccolo will jump in front of a blast for Gohan and get knocked out of the stage.)

I think that "good chance" gets smaller for every cool trick they show now.

Half of them will get eliminated in the first episode to show how strong the opponents are and get Goku's dick hard.

Roshi will not be one of them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's hit's job

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

I think that "good chance" gets smaller for every cool trick they show now.

Half of them will get eliminated in the first episode to show how strong the opponents are and get Goku's dick hard.

Roshi will not be one of them

I'm pretty sure the person who is going to get eliminated in the first episode to show how strong the opponents are is Hit. Like that dude is basically hosed, he's going to get knocked out by Jiren the Grey in under a second. Some of the other Crappy Champa Guys and probably the wolf men too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the person who is going to get eliminated in the first episode to show how strong the opponents are is Hit. Like that dude is basically hosed, he's going to get knocked out by Jiren the Grey in under a second. Some of the other Crappy Champa Guys and probably the wolf men too.

Also buff Buu. I'm pretty sure its contractual that he isn't allowed to do literally anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

sassassin posted:

We haven't seen Buu, Gohan, Krillin, or 17 get a proper fight in about 25 years, so having these little episodes is meant to be for the fans rather than the plot. Hell that's why Piccolo actually getting to fight Frost was such a fun thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh, buu and gohan did get proper fights

the androids are gonna be around for a while tho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The "they're doing stuff now so they'll job later" logic holds as much water as "they don't get to do poo poo so they'll be smashed" one, which is to say none at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan will stick around for the whole thing

buu, vegeta, piccolo, or some combination of those 3 are doomed to go down to set someone else up as tough

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Lady Broly is totally going to kick Vegeta's rear end.

Manatee Cannon posted:

eh, buu and gohan did get proper fights

the androids are gonna be around for a while tho
The last proper fight Gohan and Buu got were in the Buu saga which happened literal decades ago. Technically Beerus used Buu to slam Gohan into the ground, but I kinda doubt that's what fans of either character were really looking forward to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the last proper fight they had was a few episodes ago

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I hope to see Vegeta doing some more mid-tourney Saiyan training. He is the Prince of ALL Saiyans, after all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the last proper fight they had was a few episodes ago

I would count that as part of this arc, I was talking about prior to it. As in, that's why they gave us that little tournament in the first place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Buu has had two fights now where he's shot his load, so he's a goner for sure. What more can they do with him?

Krillin's only hope is that electricity thing he was feeling post kamehameha might be something. Otherwise we've seen all he's got, too.

Piccolo is notably not being shown roughing up Gohan. He can do all the moves and it'll seem fresh and exciting. Plus he's not nearly threatening enough to make anyone look strong by defeating him.

Vegeta, Piccolo, Tien and 18 for final 4.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Honestly, I hope to see Vegeta doing some more mid-tourney Saiyan training. He is the Prince of ALL Saiyans, after all.

I want Vegeta to basically take command of all the U6 saiyans mid-tournament to form his own team thanks to Cabba talking him up.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rhjamiz posted:

I want Vegeta to basically take command of all the U6 saiyans mid-tournament to form his own team thanks to Cabba talking him up.

This raises an interesting question. How can Daishinkan/the Zen'os know each fighter belongs to the Universe they are fighting for? They are clearly not omnisicient with all the poo poo that's been going down without their knowing.

It would be interesting to have Champa approach Vegeta and be like "Yo! You and your family, Kings of U6 Saiyan planet. Switch sides, kay?"

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Freeza, Hit, and Toppo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also correct me if I'm wrong but we've been told multiple times that God of Destruction is a job, not a species, so there are quite a lot of people who've reached that level and gotten offered a job, as well as presumably at least some who got that far and didn't.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan will stick around for the whole thing

buu, vegeta, piccolo, or some combination of those 3 are doomed to go down to set someone else up as tough

I still say it coming down to Gohan, Krillen, and Vegeta vs a metric poo poo ton of scrubs because Goku got himself ringed out along with Jiren would be great.

ImpAtom posted:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but we've been told multiple times that God of Destruction is a job, not a species, so there are quite a lot of people who've reached that level and gotten offered a job, as well as presumably at least some who got that far and didn't.

You are correct.

Also, it isn't his power level that makes Goku "godly." It's the God Ki.

Basically, without God Ki, Goku doesn't stack up to even Hit (who hasn't gotten it).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

It sounds like #17 is way more qualified for the job than either Goku or Vegeta, although he might not want it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ive been watching the dbz movies in a random order with a goon friend. they're pretty bad (except for the last two). is it a hilarious meme in japan for piccolo to save gohan in every film

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin posted:

ive been watching the dbz movies in a random order with a goon friend. they're pretty bad (except for the last two). is it a hilarious meme in japan for piccolo to save gohan in every film

Basically every film basically exists to thinly knock off existing plot points in slightly different ways and Piccolo taking a blow for Gohan is one they just love to repeat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord Slug is so much a cliff notes version of King Piccolo that it's kinda absurd.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

World's Strongest and Dead Zone are at least kind of cool. Tree of Might is okay. Broly is Broly. Rest are kind of forgettable.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Aurora posted:

World's Strongest and Dead Zone are at least kind of cool. Tree of Might is okay. Broly is Broly. Rest are kind of forgettable.

Fusion Reborn is rad because Gotenks fights Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nessus posted:

It sounds like #17 is way more qualified for the job than either Goku or Vegeta, although he might not want it.

Doesn't destroy enough. Would make a good Kai though. Sadly that job is race restricted.

• Locked thread