Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

lamentable dustman posted:

The camp tours were being used as glorified tryouts unless you really believe UM went to Australia to teach kicking techniques.

Maybe, but Harbaugh is one of those guys who lives and breathes football. I'm sure he was pretty happy to teach the game and expand its reach.

Also - it was banned because coaches in the south can be lazier and still pull in recruits. Don't think the ban had anything to do besides helping protect southern talent going to southern schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

I dunno how active y'all are as alumni, or even boosters, but you may want to spend like 10 minutes over the next couple weeks sending letters to your schools and booster liaisons just letting them know that stuff like this group
http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/04/university-responds-to-alt-right-group-claiming-to-be-a-white-student-union

is unacceptable, since they're popping up more and more

Yea poo poo is hosed right now. In the schools defense though the group is obviously not an official Auburn group, and the school made them remove the war eagle from their slogan.

Auburn was also going to allow noted white supremacist Richard Spencer give a lecture on campus for the low cost of $700 dollars. Thankfully they decided to cancel it out of legitimate safety concerns, but it never should have been a possibility in the first place.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Interesting that I can find a "white student union" for Georgia State but not UGA, unless the Klan is going to claim that since they were formed just up the road and all.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Interesting that I can find a "white student union" for Georgia State but not UGA, unless the Klan is going to claim that since they were formed just up the road and all.

All those oppressed suburban white kids that couldn't get into UGA BECAUSE OF THE BLACKS GETTING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
God, imagine being a white supremacist living in downtown Atlanta. That must be hell, all those black people existing around you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

God, imagine being a white supremacist living in downtown Atlanta. That must be hell, all those black people existing around you.

Don't forget all the gay people

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pakled posted:

lol imagine the only bar you can go to is hand in hand

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Didn't Auburn have actual confederate cosplay in its homecoming parade and poo poo an embarassingly short time ago

and the klan an embarassingly short time before that

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Raku posted:

Didn't Auburn have actual confederate cosplay in its homecoming parade and poo poo an embarassingly short time ago

and the klan an embarassingly short time before that

I'm p sure it was bama kas dressed in the old south/confederate cosplay for the parade.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I think it's been "embarrassingly short time" for that poo poo across most of the southeast, tbh.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Yall need to embrace subtle, toxic racism, like Mizzou's white fraternity with past racist issues firing its dumbass cannon into a black fraternity

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Duckaerobics posted:

Yea poo poo is hosed right now. In the schools defense though the group is obviously not an official Auburn group, and the school made them remove the war eagle from their slogan.

Auburn was also going to allow noted white supremacist Richard Spencer give a lecture on campus for the low cost of $700 dollars. Thankfully they decided to cancel it out of legitimate safety concerns, but it never should have been a possibility in the first place.

This isn't limited to our wonderful antebellum cosplayers in the SEC West.

There is an actual SC SECESSIONIST PARTY that has been peppering towns and overpasses with confederate flags over the past 6mo or so. It's been...interesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike_V posted:

Yall need to embrace subtle, toxic racism, like Mizzou's white fraternity with past racist issues firing its dumbass cannon into a black fraternity

Disgusting. Cannons exist to settle scores with rival universities.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I kind of have a hard time being too hard on Mississippi and Alabama celebrating the antebellum South. It was build on an evil foundation, and it's kind of impossible to separate the rest of it from that, but as far as southern culture is concerned, what other history do they have to celebrate? It's kind of like telling Mongolians they can't celebrate Genghis Kahn. Yeah he was evil, but it's kind of all they have.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

General Dog posted:

Disgusting. Cannons exist to settle scores with rival universities.

Don't worry, it wasn't on purpose, the dumbasses just happened to load the fireworks into the cannon pointed at an apartment building housing a number of black students. It was also the Kappa Alphas lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mike_V posted:

UF has one of these too but they've never fired it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I kind of have a hard time being too hard on Mississippi and Alabama celebrating the antebellum South. It was build on an evil foundation, and it's kind of impossible to separate the rest of it from that, but as far as southern culture is concerned, what other history do they have to celebrate? It's kind of like telling Mongolians they can't celebrate Genghis Kahn. Yeah he was evil, but it's kind of all they have.

Oświęcim was nothing before Auschwitz-Birkenau, so we really can't blame them for their SS cosplay

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

I figure if you're going to celebrate Southern history and heritage, the best people to look at are civil rights heroes. Racism is and was The Story of the South, and the 50's and 60's are packed with examples of people who risked their lives on a heroic struggle, and almost every town has some local Civil Rights Era event they can commemorate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

I figure if you're going to celebrate Southern history and heritage, the best people to look at are civil rights heroes. Racism is and was The Story of the South, and the 50's and 60's are packed with examples of people who risked their lives on a heroic struggle, and almost every town has some local Civil Rights Era event they can commemorate.

But if you're white and from there your heritage is most likely spitting on those people at best

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta did have an actual Klan university: Lanier University.

The Klan couldn't afford to run it and it folded after a year.

Appropriately, the building later became a synagogue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

I kind of have a hard time being too hard on Mississippi and Alabama celebrating the antebellum South.

I'm shocked

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Excuse me, it's a Heritage crime, not a Hate crime

Pakled posted:

People really don't want to believe they are kin to "the bad guys"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Texas's spring game just ended and I'm... honestly not sure what to make of it. The orange team won 52-51, but the scoring system they used was totally bizarre; I think there should be a breakdown of how it worked online somewhere. For example, they actually awarded points to each team for stuff that happened during pregame drills.

Shane Buechele looked alright and will probably be our starter again, although he and the receivers still need to work on completing passes. Sam Ehlinger looked like he had some work to do.

Would love for somebody that knows more about football than me to post a breakdown with their thoughts and opinions. Especially regarding the defense.

Watching it now, although I doubt I know more than you about what to look for. Buechele is making good throws, and the 1st team D-line is having its way with the 2nd team O-line. The 2nd team secondary seems to suck pretty bad; they're just straight-up losing receivers regularly.

I really don't think you can tell much from spring games, other than when things go terribly wrong.

:lol: They're renovating the locker room. $10 million, each locker will cost $10,500 and feature a 43-inch television.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: They're renovating the locker room. $10 million, each locker will cost $10,500 and feature a 43-inch television.

We'll never know but I'd be curious to see what the most watched things on individualized locker room televisions are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Oświęcim was nothing before Auschwitz-Birkenau, so we really can't blame them for their SS cosplay

I'd be pretty confused why a bunch of Polish people would want to dress up as the SS in the first place!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Look man, it's easy to judge but every state has to find its own way to be itself, we can't all just worship corn.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Look man, it's easy to judge but every state has to find its own way to be itself, we can't all just worship corn.

Should we celebrate our awesome food or maybe blues or jazz? Nah, let's idolize the years where we tried to destroy the country so we could keep enslaving people.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

PostNouveau posted:

Should we celebrate our awesome food or maybe blues or jazz? Nah, let's idolize the years where we tried to destroy the country so we could keep enslaving people.

Here's the problem: 'awesome food' and 'blues and jazz' weren't developed by the same people who fought for the Confederacy. They were, in fact, developed by the people the Confederacy wanted enslaved.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Here's the problem: 'awesome food' and 'blues and jazz' weren't developed by the same people who fought for the Confederacy. They were, in fact, developed by the people the Confederacy wanted enslaved.

Yeah, so?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

What I'm saying is that the people who wave confederate flags around don't celebrate those things as much since, you know, white people didn't invent them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

What I'm saying is that the people who wave confederate flags around don't celebrate those things as much since, you know, white people didn't invent them.

Yeah that makes those people even loving dumber than they already are.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

PostNouveau posted:

My point exactly.

*looks at calendar* 131 days, people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

So General Dog basically.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

On another note, that doesn't involve white supremacy, the Jarrett Stidham hype train is boarding now, and I am the conductor toot toot oh poo poo but he's white, wait the guy whose job he's stealing is not only white but named White so it's actually mad woke? Yes that is the story I'm going with.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

There's a straight line from miles Davis to dirt road anthem.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

pillsburysoldier posted:

I dunno how active y'all are as alumni, or even boosters, but you may want to spend like 10 minutes over the next couple weeks sending letters to your schools and booster liaisons just letting them know that stuff like this group
http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/04/university-responds-to-alt-right-group-claiming-to-be-a-white-student-union

is unacceptable, since they're popping up more and more

U of A Response to the Creation of 'White Student Union' Facebook ...
https://news.uark.edu/.../u-of-a-response-to-the-creation-of-white-student-union-faceb...
Nov 24, 2015 - 24, University of Arkansas administrators became aware of a Facebook page identified as “University of Arkansas White Student Union.

:chloe:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
ARKANSAS: on the bleeding edge of systemic racism

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Craig K posted:

U of A Response to the Creation of 'White Student Union' Facebook ...
https://news.uark.edu/.../u-of-a-response-to-the-creation-of-white-student-union-faceb...
Nov 24, 2015 - 24, University of Arkansas administrators became aware of a Facebook page identified as “University of Arkansas White Student Union.

:chloe:

In 2015 there was a bunch of facebook pages that popped up for 30ish universities before the various colleges got them quietly taken down. FSU had a wsu facebook page with the logo pop up during the same period and it's gone now.

What was going on at Auburn is people handing out flyers and poo poo on campus. As far as I know the other ones haven't gotten that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I'd be pretty confused why a bunch of Polish people would want to dress up as the SS in the first place!

I was being facetious, but asian nazi cosplay is a thing and it is weird so nothing would surprise me anymore.

• Locked thread