Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's pretty loving dope.

What other P2 references did you spot? I got the obvious ones like Joker, and I recall noticing a few things throughout the game. Compared to P3 and P4, this game is much more willing to reference the previous generation of Persona, hopefully as quiet teases at a future title with an adult cast.

There was a Featherman preview with the title "I Want a Love Strong Enough to Bring Me Back From the Dead!" too.

I noticed that Tatsuya and Makoto's backstories are really similar with only minor differences and it's interesting to compare how they react to that kind of setup, what with the differences in what happened to their dads, how their Perfect Older Sibling/Caretaker treats them and the pressure that comes with it, their gender, their Arcana. Like Tatsuya would rather be a Rowdy Boy and avoid responsibilities while Makoto falls into being a doormat perfect honor student before joining the Phantom Thieves, but they both have to deal with this very specific societal pressure and they're both unsure of what they actually want to do with their lives at the beginning.

That and, you know, the motorcycles and being Angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BaDandy posted:

There was a Featherman preview with the title "I Want a Love Strong Enough to Bring Me Back From the Dead!" too.

I noticed that Tatsuya and Makoto's backstories are really similar with only minor differences and it's interesting to compare how they react to that kind of setup, what with the differences in what happened to their dads, how their Perfect Older Sibling/Caretaker treats them and the pressure that comes with it, their gender, their Arcana. Like Tatsuya would rather be a Rowdy Boy and avoid responsibilities while Makoto falls into being a doormat perfect honor student before joining the Phantom Thieves, but they both have to deal with this very specific societal pressure and they're both unsure of what they actually want to do with their lives at the beginning.

That and, you know, the motorcycles and being Angry.

Both have an older sibling who is involved in law and order too, although Sae doesn't hold a candle to Katsuya.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
They both get Nuclear spells too and I, for one, am glad that Nuke spells made a comeback.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BaDandy posted:

They both get Nuclear spells too and I, for one, am glad that Nuke spells made a comeback.

I'm also glad Bless and Curse are actual damage types instead of two versions of insta-death.

That always felt like the dumbest thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I'm also glad Bless and Curse are actual damage types instead of two versions of insta-death.

That always felt like the dumbest thing.

I preferred the way Apocalypse handled it, by making Mudo and Hama just another flavor of damage spell, but if you were Smirking, it'd have the instant kill activate. I felt them fracturing it into a damage line AND an instant kill line was too much here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do I need to have fives in everything to 100% SLinks in a second round? Not sure how I wanna spend my remaining time.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I feel like the cognitive world is pretty much a slightly different version P2's rumor stuff

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Do I need to have fives in everything to 100% SLinks in a second round? Not sure how I wanna spend my remaining time.

Yes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
While I'm at it, Yusuke looks exactly like a Jun Kurosu recolor.

I know Atlus liked using that character design type ever since SMT If but, wow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, no one needs rank 5 knowledge so you don't have to max out that if you're setting up for a ng+ file.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Endorph posted:

also, no one needs rank 5 knowledge so you don't have to max out that if you're setting up for a ng+ file.

I'm pretty sure Hifumi does like partway through, doesn't she?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

Hifumi does for Rank 8 onwards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ffffuuckkkkk alright, guess I'm boosting my stats from now on. What's the best way to do that? Part time work, various activities?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Hifumi does for Rank 8 onwards.

gently caress yo baal!!

Pollyanna posted:

Ffffuuckkkkk alright, guess I'm boosting my stats from now on. What's the best way to do that? Part time work, various activities?
op has a section on this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been avoiding it bc fear of spoilers so I apologize for forgetting about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I guess I misspoke - do I need fives in everything by the end of the first playthrough to 100% the second playthrough?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 17, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I felt way behind on my stats around the third palace and then after I beat it I aimed for 3's in everything. By sheer luck, I hit 4 knowledge the day before the second round of school exams.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welp, I'm broke. Went from 1.2 million to 58k fusing Lucifer. Well, I got Yoshitsune out of it too. I wasn't using that money for anything anyhow.

Lordy, I sure hope I can access a store before the end so I can sell all the accessories junking up my inventory for that spending money. But I think it was worth it, I made some pretty goddamn crazy powerful Persona in the pursuit of that one.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
final boss: ok so i guess they ran out of good music? I mean rivers in the desert probably doesn't fit here but i was expecting at least something cool for the climax.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Now that I beat the game I went back and youtubed some scenes and stuff to see the dub in action and so many of the voices sound so...off. Futaba sounds a bit too old and alot less enthusiastic, Ryuji just lacks the energy his JP counterpart has, and Joker's persona call outs are so boring. Makoto sounded great though.

big spoilers: And man, Goro's dub actor tries really hard, but his performance during his boss fight seriously does not even compare to his JP one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would've been cool if the Rank 10 Fortune ability was to have free services just like Temperance.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ryuji just lacks the energy his JP counterpart has

I've not heard the JP dub but I wouldn't say Ryuji lacked energy at all. His furious screams and shouts were some of the most hotblooded line deliveries in the whole dub for me.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Party Bug posted:

final boss: ok so i guess they ran out of good music? I mean rivers in the desert probably doesn't fit here but i was expecting at least something cool for the climax.

nothing really beats The Genesis :(

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

FauxLeather posted:

I've not heard the JP dub but I wouldn't say Ryuji lacked energy at all. His furious screams and shouts were some of the most hotblooded line deliveries in the whole dub for me.

Yeah Ryuji's English VA does a great job.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FauxLeather posted:

Hrm, I'll admit lacks energy is probably a poor description, but like if you have them side by side, they're like on two different levels in terms of hotbloodedness. Which I mean, I don't think the dub cast did a lovely job but the JP cast seemed to get way more 'into it' overall.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japanese Ryuji just yell more, that doesn't mean they're more into it

If English Ryuji yelled a lot more, he'd just be way more annoying as gently caress because it doesn't translate as well

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only voice actor I really had an issue with was Joker's. Maybe Haru's too. Everyone else I really liked though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Japanese Ryuji just yell more, that doesn't mean they're more into it

If English Ryuji yelled a lot more, he'd just be way more annoying as gently caress because it doesn't translate as well

A lot of my favourite Ryuji scenes are when he is yelling, so I think he'd be ok if he did that more.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm, I'll admit lacks energy is probably a poor description, but like if you have them side by side, they're like on two different levels in terms of hotbloodedness. Which I mean, I don't think the dub cast did a lovely job but the JP cast seemed to get way more 'into it' overall.

I getcha. Hell I think the majority of the cast in this game didn't go as far as they could've vocally.
It makes sense for characters to have different tonal styles to better fit their personalities, but man I really thought Ann and Yusuke were sleeping on their cue cards.
It's a shame, Ryuji, Kamoshida and Shido were good as hell. I loved the whole first arc because when Ryuji and Kamoshida confronted one another, you could really feel the sparks flying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Every line reading from Ryuji is the best one. Just cleared Palace 3 and his latest winner is his "NOOOOOOOOOOO" after discovering the counterfeit cash.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Now that I beat the game I went back and youtubed some scenes and stuff to see the dub in action and so many of the voices sound so...off. Futaba sounds a bit too old and alot less enthusiastic, Ryuji just lacks the energy his JP counterpart has, and Joker's persona call outs are so boring. Makoto sounded great though.

big spoilers: And man, Goro's dub actor tries really hard, but his performance during his boss fight seriously does not even compare to his JP one.
Yeah honestly you can sometimes hear Goro's english actor kinda lose his voice in just normal talking scenes, so I can't imagine how he's gonna hold it for his finale

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Finally, Joker is finished with his 75 hour backstory explanation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would say I preferred a lot of english voices to the japanese, except for like Shinya because I can't do his S-link without laughing.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Love every moment Ryuji howls "i love to be a phantom thief" at a thousand decibels in the totally public walkway A.K.A. The Hideout

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

FauxLeather posted:

Love every moment Ryuji howls "i love to be a phantom thief" at a thousand decibels in the totally public walkway A.K.A. The Hideout

To be fair, if I were walking around the city and saw some some kid shouting about how he's such a badass criminal, I wouldn't give a poo poo either.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish that Arsene spoke one last time before transforming into the ultimate persona

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just finished Palace 2. Is there a way to get more Mementos missions? I only have the first one available.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Capsaicin posted:

I just finished Palace 2. Is there a way to get more Mementos missions? I only have the first one available.

They're tied to story, and s-links.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh my god (Post Palace 6) The Bad Ending, I assume? What the gently caress. That was awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I haven't listened to any of the japanese dub of the game yet, but switching to the japanese audio would mean losing the little pieces of dialogue that the shadows have during fights and I think i'd miss them too much.