Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

duz posted:

Ok, I can't watch this anymore, Crow just pronounced GIF the incorrect way.

I think it was the same episode where he also said cache as 'cashay' instead of 'cash'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Unrelated to anything, I just started watching Samson Vs the Vampire Women again. And Mike makes a joke saying "Someone taped over Seinfeld!" and I remember watching that at the time going "oh yeah, I should watch that show."

Remembering that made me feel loving ancient.

Don't feel bad; I actually just started watching Sienfeld for the first time like three weeks ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually liked that. It felt like a very Joel moment with the innocent goofy flub.

The other big one I recall is Felicia actually hosed up her catchphrase in one ep. She says "nightmare filled" instead of fuelled.It does kind of mimic the old she's feel though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EatinCake posted:

I'd be real curious how popular this show is. Kickstarter was a runaway success, but does that mean Netflix or some other producer would front the bill for another season, or will they do a another crowd funding approach I wonder.

Can't help but imagine everyone involved would be down for another season- they look like they're havin' a blast.

The only way this is getting another season is if Netflix foots the bill. Which is why Joel and co were begging everyone who backed to watch it on Netflix first time through.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Antiquated Pants posted:

I think it was the same episode where he also said cache as 'cashay' instead of 'cash'

I don't remember the context of that so maybe he could've been saying cachet?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The only way this is getting another season is if Netflix foots the bill. Which is why Joel and co were begging everyone who backed to watch it on Netflix first time through.

It's definitely going to be up to the numbers at this point. Netflix did throw their support behind it, it feels like, with the promotional short where the bots make fun of stranger things and all. As much as it annoyed me that they made it a different title (I had a lot of trouble finding it by yelling commands at the Google home), that was probably the wiser choice for marketing it and claiming it as their own. They want it to succeed, so as long as it does, they'll throw their money behind it. It probably costs as much to make a full season of this show as an episode of Iron Fist, so it at least has that going for it.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

duz posted:

I don't remember the context of that so maybe he could've been saying cachet?

Maybe, I felt like they were talking about robotics or computers but I could definitely be wrong. I watched a lot of riffs this weekend...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely going to be up to the numbers at this point. Netflix did throw their support behind it, it feels like, with the promotional short where the bots make fun of stranger things and all. As much as it annoyed me that they made it a different title (I had a lot of trouble finding it by yelling commands at the Google home), that was probably the wiser choice for marketing it and claiming it as their own. They want it to succeed, so as long as it does, they'll throw their money behind it. It probably costs as much to make a full season of this show as an episode of Iron Fist, so it at least has that going for it.

The whole season cost $6 million to make, and it costs Netflix $100 million per episode for Marco Polo. I gotta think Netflix will order more seasons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The whole season cost $6 million to make, and it costs Netflix $100 million per episode for Marco Polo. I gotta think Netflix will order more seasons.

Its $10 million for Marco Polo, because god drat imagine what $100 million per episode could buy.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HannibalBarca posted:

Luigi Cozzi infamously made a batshit insane colorized version of the Americanization of the original Godzilla. Pretty neat.

Also CONTAMINATION which is a fantastically weird film.

Bonus points for it having the best Goblin soundtrack too. As much as I love Contamination, it would actually be great for MST3K, but it's probably too graphic in parts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Its $10 million for Marco Polo, because god drat imagine what $100 million per episode could buy.

Oh yeah, of course. You know I googled Marco Polo episode cost and the wikipedia thing on the top of the searches says "$90 million," but duh, that's for the whole season.

Still though, you get a whole season of MST3K pretty cheap. They've always had that going for them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

InfiniteZero posted:

Bonus points for it having the best Goblin soundtrack too. As much as I love Contamination, it would actually be great for MST3K, but it's probably too graphic in parts.

it has a fatal flaw they would have to work to overcome for a bad movie. poo poo rear end pacing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I'm really hoping so. I also feel like they can cut down on some of the costs because they already have new sets and robots built, and can just tweak them.

Uh... that ending, though. :stare: Now I really hope they get another season.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Oh god, when the T. rex and the triceratops fight: WORLDSTAR!!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

InfiniteZero posted:

I was hoping beyond hope that we were gonna get Cozzi's Hercules film starring Lou Ferrigno.

If we get season twelve, I also hope for a Reb Brown film. Reb should be the new Joe Don Baker rite of passage.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I'm really hoping so. I also feel like they can cut down on some of the costs because they already have new sets and robots built, and can just tweak them.

I'm hoping that netflix-funded future seasons can budget a bit more production / shooting time and give them a little more time to spend on each episode.

It feels like they've got the basics down, but shooting 14 episodes in two weeks is kinda nuts, and I assume with a slightly less frantic schedule they could get a few more takes here or there...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope they do THE LIFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjkCyhQagA0

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Episode 13, "Jonah, can't we get beyond Thunderdome?" :perfect:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

Oh god, when the T. rex and the triceratops fight: WORLDSTAR!!

That killed me. Also the ADR thing explains a lot more about why they don't give each other the giggles as much. Hope they get another season that has more time to breathe during production.

CAPSULE!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
When I watched Yongary with my nine year old brother, he was offended by the flame thrower tube in the back of the monster's throat. That in itself was pretty funny.

CAPSULE.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I just noticed, when Kinga snaps about how much she hates clones, she gives Max a look.

Max isn't TV's Son of TV's Frank, he's TV's Clone of TV's Frank!

Either that, or Kinga built him out of all the spare Frank parts Clayton had laying around.

Also, the fact that her full name is Kinga Clayton Forrester is goddamned amazing.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Even though the cast has gone through change after change since season one I grew up with Mike, Bill, and Kevin so anyone else filling their roles just feels wrong and sad to me (except for Joel).

That said, this season is pretty fantastic and I'm on my second viewing.

I love the music, especially the orchestral theme, and the opening. The robot roll call is a bit underwhelming but I love the "I should really just relax" delivery.

I think my favorite skit might be the Mexican dance skit because it's so creepy/absurd.

Crow's voice sounds like crow but man Servo is wayyyy off. It doesn't bother me too much now but it was really jarring at first.

I also don't like the "commercial break" parts where Patton gives us vocabulary lessons. They're just weird and out of place. They could have just kept them like they used to be.

But the most important thing, the actual riffs, are hilarious. And the cameos are amusing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Oh good, she found a book club!"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hopefully a twelfth season will let them work out their riff pacing issues. It got better after the first couple episodes, but they really need to give the riffs room to breathe.

Also, I was fine with the new Tom Servo voice, but it feels weird having an actual woman voice Gypsy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hopefully a twelfth season will let them work out their riff pacing issues. It got better after the first couple episodes, but they really need to give the riffs room to breathe.

Also, I was fine with the new Tom Servo voice, but it feels weird having an actual woman voice Gypsy.

Gypsy was voiced by a woman in a one-off host segment during the KTMA season, the joke being that her sinuses finally cleared up so real her voice was all Marilyn Monroe (Joel had wanted to give her a smoky Kim Carnes voice but messed it up).

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Oh good, she found a book club!"

White Guy Checklist was good

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So Carnival Magic has a runtime of like, six hours, right? It just keeps going and going and going and going...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Plus, according to the breakdown we were given at the beginning of the Kickstarter, about a third of the budget went to Kickstarter-related costs.

I'm honestly pretty confident they'll get another season. The show is about as cheap to make as modern tv can be, it's getting good press coverage, and Netflix really wants as much original content as possible at this point. Trailer Park Boys has managed to get four seasons on Netflix so far, and unless I'm massively underestimating its popularity in Canada, that's even more obscure than MST.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Geez, that Avalanche film is BRUTAL. It's like a proto-Final Destination movie but kind of more horrifying due to the extreme boringness of the pre-Avalanche story.

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh cool. I remember there being bitterness over the royalties to the old series, but I also know Frank said they'd make sure to cut in old alums this time.

I'd like to see Mike on the show, I just don't know how poisoned the well is between him and Joel. I'm probably making poo poo up, but they still seemed tense during the reunion show.

Bring Back Mike as Torgo!

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 17, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The cast of MST3k is on today's episode of Comedy Bang Bang podcast, for those interested.

I watched Avalanche and The Beast of Hollow Mountain last night. Both were good episodes, but Beast of Hollow Mountain is such a slog of a movie, holy poo poo.

Glad to see the joke delivery slowing down and hitting a strong groove (especially in Avalanche), but thinking back, a lot of the rapid-fire jokes of Reptilicus were to make fun of the energetic editing of that movie, which I think really worked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Wait, there's a new MST3k live tour starting in June?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh God, Cry Wilderness. :stare:

Sourcing stock footage from VHS is just pathetic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quinton posted:

I'm hoping that netflix-funded future seasons can budget a bit more production / shooting time and give them a little more time to spend on each episode.

It feels like they've got the basics down, but shooting 14 episodes in two weeks is kinda nuts, and I assume with a slightly less frantic schedule they could get a few more takes here or there...

Yeah, two weeks is insane. I have to cut them some slack for anything that looks or feels rushed because, uh, it must have been!

Diabolik900 posted:

Plus, according to the breakdown we were given at the beginning of the Kickstarter, about a third of the budget went to Kickstarter-related costs.

I'm honestly pretty confident they'll get another season. The show is about as cheap to make as modern tv can be, it's getting good press coverage, and Netflix really wants as much original content as possible at this point. Trailer Park Boys has managed to get four seasons on Netflix so far, and unless I'm massively underestimating its popularity in Canada, that's even more obscure than MST.

I also sort of wonder how much they care about the actual watch numbers for a show like this. I compared it to Iron First earlier, which I'm sure is getting high views but is getting absolutely skewered by reviews, and maybe they want a bit of variety in terms of "high quality and deserves awards" vs. "popular but despised by critics."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I feel like if Beast of Hollow Mountain had been named "The Gringo Cowboy," eliminated most of the references and foreshadowing to the beast (like if we saw the old guy drown in the swamp and the bad guy's henchmen driving the cattle into quicksand), and so it was a Western right up until the moment the allosaurus interrupts the climax, it would have been amazing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I feel like if Beast of Hollow Mountain had been named "The Gringo Cowboy," eliminated most of the references and foreshadowing to the beast (like if we saw the old guy drown in the swamp and the bad guy's henchmen driving the cattle into quicksand), and so it was a Western right up until the moment the allosaurus interrupts the climax, it would have been amazing.

Yeah, it already feels halfway like the whole genre switch was a prank, they might as well have gone full surprise T-Rex.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

"Sudden Dinosaur Attack: The Western" would have been a better movie.

I just cant believe the climax of the movie is the main character swinging back and forth on a rope swing to lure a dinosaur into a swamp. Its so bafflingly dumb and it almost feels like the Beast just kind sits and watches him for a few moments in equal awe at how silly it is.

Cry Wilderness is such a perfect second episode. I introduced the show to two friends this weekend and they liked Reptilicus but I could feel the final act of the movie drag a bit. How many scenes of danish soldiers shooting at nothing does a movie really need? Cry Wilderness just knocked it out of the park. Really up there with the bests of MST3K.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

I just cant believe the climax of the movie is the main character swinging back and forth on a rope swing to lure a dinosaur into a swamp. Its so bafflingly dumb and it almost feels like the Beast just kind sits and watches him for a few moments in equal awe at how silly it is.

"You know, I have to say, the monster is being really patient with him." The expression on the claymation T-Rex reminded me of the expression on my bird's face when he's mad, but he has to stop screaming for a few seconds purely to say "What are you doing right now? That's weird and new and I don't get it." Such a weird climactic battle.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Junkie Disease posted:

it has a fatal flaw they would have to work to overcome for a bad movie. poo poo rear end pacing

MST3K has always been great at dealing with pacing issues (better than Rifftrax), largely because of the skits and the fact that the movies get cut for time anyway. It's not like films like Manos or more recently The Beast of Hollow Mountain aren't equally strange with regard to pace. Films like Contamination fare well too because it's not like breaking what pace there is or cutting scenes is going to mess with a whole lot of underlying logic either (because that logic was always secondary at best).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bicyclops posted:

I also sort of wonder how much they care about the actual watch numbers for a show like this. I compared it to Iron First earlier, which I'm sure is getting high views but is getting absolutely skewered by reviews, and maybe they want a bit of variety in terms of "high quality and deserves awards" vs. "popular but despised by critics."

I have a feeling Iron Fist sees a large drop off of views per episode as the season goes on. It's really stupid, and I'd be shocked if there's an Iron Fist season 2 (even knowing he's going to be in Defenders). It's that lovely.

Also, LOL at Marco Polo costing a million per ep.

Isn't Fuller House getting another season? Jesus, I have to think that way more people are watching MST3K: The Return than loving Fuller House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

Isn't Fuller House getting another season? Jesus, I have to think that way more people are watching MST3K: The Return than loving Fuller House.

Christ, I'd forgotten that was even a thing. I remember reading the reviews, and I think the most positive that they got was "It's possible there are children who could enjoy this, but they do not seem to be the show's target audience." That has to be as niche as MST3K, I hope.