Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

Yes. Living in USA is far worse for that poo poo, and it's not close.

well, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

well, drat

That's one nice thing about China and the cultural emphasis people put on minding their own business. Yes I have people literally scream at me as I'm walking around or take pictures of me while I'm doing something simple like eating lunch, but it just stops there. Just put headphones in and you'll ignore most of it.

In USA, team politics, the politicization of everything and the Twitterification of the US has dumbed down arguments and now everyone freaks out about everything all the time.

Source: me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's just whiny about different things you doofus.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying other people or cultures aren't whiny but the USA is super different than it was just ten years ago, and I think that's what bad day was talking about.

I agree with bad day in that China is super toxic but you just have to trust no one and assume every single possible person is going to gently caress you over at every single second. Find a few people you trust and ride them. In the USA there is supposed to be more of a communal ethos but it's far more whiny and annoying than it was like a decade ago.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
bad day is also confirming my theory that living in China toughens you up. I forget where he lived but living in nice places makes people super soft. There's something to be said for meeting constant daily obstacles in a place like China and overcoming them, and then returning home.

Every time I'm back stateside I feel like nothing bothers me, ever. Life is super easy and relaxed when I'm back, if it's for work or vacation, and if I'm on the east coast, west coast or Midwest.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in flagstaff last summer for work I was doing some writing at a restaurant and they hosed up my cheeseburger and the waitress was so apologetic because I guess some dude had just bitched her out over like the fries or something? And she was really nervous and I had to wait 10 more minutes for my burger and I was kinda like "this is great I'm getting exactly what I ordered" just because that only happens about half the time where I am now lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think living in Vancouver without a car is tough :downsrim:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

When I was in flagstaff last summer for work I was doing some writing at a restaurant and they hosed up my cheeseburger and the waitress was so apologetic because I guess some dude had just bitched her out over like the fries or something? And she was really nervous and I had to wait 10 more minutes for my burger and I was kinda like "this is great I'm getting exactly what I ordered" just because that only happens about half the time where I am now lol

The fact that you could tolerate flagstaff proves your toughening up theory

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

bad day is also confirming my theory that living in China toughens you up. I forget where he lived but living in nice places makes people super soft. There's something to be said for meeting constant daily obstacles in a place like China and overcoming them, and then returning home.

Every time I'm back stateside I feel like nothing bothers me, ever. Life is super easy and relaxed when I'm back, if it's for work or vacation, and if I'm on the east coast, west coast or Midwest.

Why does it simultaneously suck and is awful and nothing bothers you? I don't see where people freaking out comes into it and also you haven't spent much time in the US for the last while right? Are you sure you're not just extrapolating from the media on the current social climate in the US? Because that's what it sounds like.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Why does it simultaneously suck and is awful and nothing bothers you? I don't see where people freaking out comes into it and also you haven't spent much time in the US for the last while right? Are you sure you're not just extrapolating from the media on the current social climate in the US? Because that's what it sounds like.

He's basically a holocaust survivor

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

In 2016 I was in the USA for about three months, which may or may not be a big enough sample size to comment on it. I'm also viewing it through the lens of big cities/college towns, as almost all my friends live in places like Chicago/LA/Boston or work at universities and those are the places I usually am. I do think the media is bad and doesn't give an accurate portrayal of what is happening in USA.

Nothing bothers me because I just ignore it.

fart simpson posted:

p much this

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

In 2016 I was in the USA for about three months, which may or may not be a big enough sample size to comment on it. I'm also viewing it through the lens of big cities/college towns, as almost all my friends live in places like Chicago/LA/Boston or work at universities and those are the places I usually am. I do think the media is bad and doesn't give an accurate portrayal of what is happening in USA.

Nothing bothers me because I just ignore it.

p much this

You're getting older and so are your college friends

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

You're getting older and so are your college friends

when you view time linearly, that tends to happen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The media has always been bad and now that you're old you no longer "get" kids

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

The media has always been bad and now that you're old you no longer "get" kids

k

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

kids are into roblox now, minecraft is out!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

bad day is also confirming my theory that living in China toughens you up. I forget where he lived but living in nice places makes people super soft.

Henan.

I find life in general is a continuous realization that - up until this moment - I used to be a clueless rear end in a top hat. When I moved to China in 2008 I did some of the dumbest poo poo imaginable. Like, I moved there after my dad died and I started running out insurance money because some guy - who turned out to be some clueless rear end in a top hat - on the Something Awful forums told me I had a job in China and it was about the furthest place from home I could get without leaving the planet. So I went. Like a dumb poo poo.

But, like, I had miserable experiences and got hosed over and leveled up to having awesome experiences and understanding how to not give people the opportunity to gently caress me over, to the final understanding that everyone is inherently selfish and terrible and that's just normal human behavior. In fact what I now find pathological are all the stupid mental tricks people use to convince themselves they're not total pieces of poo poo.

Also the experience of constantly being totally wrong was really helpful. I think every time I got really upset with someone it was because of my own misunderstandings. For example a girl called me "boring" one time and I got mad but had no idea "bored" and "boring" are the same word in Chinese and most English students have trouble knowing the difference. Or I'd learn some word and suddenly realize a taxi driver wasn't trying to rip me off three years previous but saving me time by taking the long way and avoiding rush hour traffic.

Or how I'd think some of my university students were weird and kind of retarded but later realize they'd just never seen a real white man before, and that some of them grew up in dirt floor farmhouses and they sat in class playing with their phones not because they want to go to class but because there's no heat in the dorms. And by giving them poo poo about it and/or confiscating their phones I was just being a giant dick for no real reason.

Yeah, I dunno. I've actually tried to not reflect on it since I moved home a year or so ago but now I have a cool business and things are more settled down so I don't feel quite as crushed by last days in China. (I had plans to start a business there but my connections I had turned out to be really... culty? It just wasn't going to work so I packed the family and went back home).

Anyway the USA is really nice and has good clean air and water and food but someone is always trying to convince you to be angry and offended about something.

For example in my local "word around town" Facebook group someone posted an apartment ad requiring pets be declawed along with various pet fees and deposits (a clever way to say NO PETS really) and took extreme offense to the concept that a local business would condone the declawing of animals. One lady posted that she had alerted the local TV station and newspaper and I responded below her with

^^^ says the lady with the cat avatar

Anyway she freaks out about how it's a photo of her HUSBAND with her DEAD CAT and how dare I what am I trying to imply here declawing animals is EVIL.

And that's just a microcosm of American public discourse in 2017, contained within that one interaction. Everything is like that now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You posted in a community/neighborhood Facebook group. What did you think would happen? I'm only in mine should one of the boomers have something for sale that I want and the general hilarity that is people getting bent out of shape on social media.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Declawing animals is pretty bad though

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

Anyway the USA is really nice and has good clean air and water and food but someone is always trying to convince you to be angry and offended about something.

Right, this is actually A Thing Now. It wasn't like this when you left for China in 2008, was it? It certainly wasn't when I left in 2009.

We hired a girl from USA in 2015 and she came with a dude from USA, and we were talking one day after work and I said someone came to the office, it was this lady that was just insufferable, and the guy was like "Who is she?" and I was like "I don't know but she is a huge bitch" and then the next day the guy was like "you can't call a lady a huge bitch, the girl was really offended and shocked you would use such a patriarchal word in the office" and I asked him "what should I call someone who is acting like a huge bitch" and he said "maybe just say she is being rude, and don't use such a gender imbalanced word" or something like that and I was kinda like "naw we're in china we're not going to do this type of poo poo"

Neither of them lasted more than a year in China.

I only supervise one other American now and he is far less PC than I am and is a really good kid so I don't have to put up with this poo poo, thank God

I posted about This Very Thing when I was back last summer and flying from Boston to Seattle and the lady in the seat next to me was having an absolute meltdown, I mean she was going nuclear, about having to check one of her carry-on bags. I couldn't believe it. She spent drat near 30 minutes on Yelp or whatever that site is complaining about the airlines. She would not shut up about how pissed off she was, I was trying to read a book and it's kinda like "Hey you're sitting in a chair in the sky and in less five hours you'll be on the other side of the continent. Have a drink and watch a little TV for free in front of you and calm the gently caress down" Everyone is offended as all hell now in USA, talk to any of your friends or old co-workers in back in USA. It's happening most on college campuses but also in major cities. My buddy in Chicago says it's gotten really bad in the past year or two.

The past few years sociologists have been studying how the United States especially is quickly transforming to a victimhood culture. It is most definitely a thing now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Joe Rogan is my favorite sociologist

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Since I came back from China, I've chosen to go back to my home. I live and work in a community that is, perhaps, at most 20,000 people. Frankly, if you're using Facebook to identify with your neighbours, you've missed the entire point. Small towns function on word of mouth and facial recognition. Anything else is loving Up Severely.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ceciltron posted:

Since I came back from China, I've chosen to go back to my home. I live and work in a community that is, perhaps, at most 20,000 people. Frankly, if you're using Facebook to identify with your neighbours, you've missed the entire point. Small towns function on word of mouth and facial recognition. Anything else is loving Up Severely.

Don't sign your posts lmao

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Since the election of President Donald Trump, many communities have banded together to resist his agenda—tech executives criticized his policies, journalists bristled at being called “the enemy” and scientists have marched to protest Trump’s rejection of climate change facts.

Childhood friends Blahblah A and Blahblah B wanted to find a way to turn their post-election anger into action, too. BBA, a stay-at-home mom, and BBB, who was unemployed but had previously held jobs at a Santa Monica jobs startup and on the social media team at Major League Soccer, got together for lunch for the first time in almost 10 years to figure out what to do next.

The 29-year-old duo decided to turn to tech and make podcasting their main outlet—they now co-host Podcast, “a feminist podcast for those who resist and persist” that debuted in January and has become increasingly popular on SoundCloud thanks to BBA and BBB’s catty commentary.

“This country was on a path directly to hell, and everyone was hellbent on resisting Trump’s agenda,” BBA told the Observer. “And in a political space heavily dominated by white men, we wanted to bring in intersectional feminism.”

One group the hosts have a very low opinion of (and which they discuss frequently on Podcast) is the people who claim that Bernie Sanders could’ve beaten Trump, that Trump and Hillary Clinton are equally “evil” or that Chelsea Clinton doesn’t deserve her success.

“It just feels very counterproductive,” BBB said. “And it’s frustrating as a woman, because elections were never re-litigated when men ran against each other. Pushing back against that misogyny is emotionally draining.”

“There’s a lot of insidious sexism, which is exhausting,” BBA agreed.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'm also glad I don't live in the US, tbqh.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Since moving back to the states I also
1. Feel like overcrowding isn't that bad, San Francisco gets all bent out of shape about having so many people and I'm like what the gently caress are you idiots talking about? This is a city, we can have more than 300k people now, deal with it.

2. Public transportation sucks balls. Too many cars in the road, too much traffic! Increase spending on public transportation? Noooooooo! My property values!

Outside the cleanliness and "freedom", America sucks. It's frustrating to live here.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trump doesn't even have "an agenda" because he doesn't have a consistent ideological worldview. This is the problem with saying something like "resist Trump!!!!" He's the President of the United States, you don't "resist" him. "NEVER TRUMP" was ok when he was running for office but he won, so you can't really be a "NEVER TRUMP" person now, it makes no sense. You can be critical of his policies, absolutely, but again, he isn't a consistent conservative or a consistent liberal, he doesn't really have an everyday ideology. Like he kind of wakes up and sees how he's feeling based on what happened and what he was told and what he saw on the news. So to blanket statement "I am AGAINST Trump!" is super dumb, because sometimes (chances are p high) he is going to have a policy that aligns with what you want ideologically. Getting out of the TPPP, for example. A bunch of pro-Bernie people on my Facebook loved that Bernie wanted out of the TPPP, but then Trump did it and it's like "gently caress WHAT ARE WE DOING!!!! TRUMP IS RUINING AMERICA". It's playing team politics, it's incredibly dishonest intellectually and doesn't allow you to actually have a world view and personal ideology. Your ideology becomes "I hate X" not "I am for gay marriage, I am against big government, I am for immigration reform", etc.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know any pro Bernie people who didn't say "Trump is bad but I'm glad he's pulling out of TPPPPP"

e: I hope this helps.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SB35 posted:

Since moving back to the states I also
1. Feel like overcrowding isn't that bad, San Francisco gets all bent out of shape about having so many people and I'm like what the gently caress are you idiots talking about? This is a city, we can have more than 300k people now, deal with it.

2. Public transportation sucks balls. Too many cars in the road, too much traffic! Increase spending on public transportation? Noooooooo! My property values!

Outside the cleanliness and "freedom", America sucks. It's frustrating to live here.

How are you gonna pay for that?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Right, this is actually A Thing Now. It wasn't like this when you left for China in 2008, was it? It certainly wasn't when I left in 2009.

We hired a girl from USA in 2015 and she came with a dude from USA, and we were talking one day after work and I said someone came to the office, it was this lady that was just insufferable, and the guy was like "Who is she?" and I was like "I don't know but she is a huge bitch" and then the next day the guy was like "you can't call a lady a huge bitch, the girl was really offended and shocked you would use such a patriarchal word in the office" and I asked him "what should I call someone who is acting like a huge bitch" and he said "maybe just say she is being rude, and don't use such a gender imbalanced word" or something like that and I was kinda like "naw we're in china we're not going to do this type of poo poo"

Neither of them lasted more than a year in China.

I only supervise one other American now and he is far less PC than I am and is a really good kid so I don't have to put up with this poo poo, thank God

I posted about This Very Thing when I was back last summer and flying from Boston to Seattle and the lady in the seat next to me was having an absolute meltdown, I mean she was going nuclear, about having to check one of her carry-on bags. I couldn't believe it. She spent drat near 30 minutes on Yelp or whatever that site is complaining about the airlines. She would not shut up about how pissed off she was, I was trying to read a book and it's kinda like "Hey you're sitting in a chair in the sky and in less five hours you'll be on the other side of the continent. Have a drink and watch a little TV for free in front of you and calm the gently caress down" Everyone is offended as all hell now in USA, talk to any of your friends or old co-workers in back in USA. It's happening most on college campuses but also in major cities. My buddy in Chicago says it's gotten really bad in the past year or two.

The past few years sociologists have been studying how the United States especially is quickly transforming to a victimhood culture. It is most definitely a thing now.

this is such a pirveleged rant lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

straight white male complaining about PC culture

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

straight white male complaining about PC culture

There's a lot of not understanding what the kids these days are into and confirmation bias too.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who only mentions "privilege" when talking about a wall of text. It is so embarrassingly and intellectually lazy and doesn't actually bring up a single point. The majority of the talking points I brought up were made before by a Lebanese immigrant in Canada who fled Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War. You should shoot Gad Saad a tweet and tell him his viewpoints reek of privilege. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are you feeling offended?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who only mentions "privilege" when talking about a wall of text. It is so embarrassingly and intellectually lazy and doesn't actually bring up a single point. The majority of the talking points I brought up were made before by a Lebanese immigrant in Canada who fled Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War. You should shoot Gad Saad a tweet and tell him his viewpoints reek of privilege. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Maybe he's also full of privilege as well because he managed to escape war.

The privilege of life

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Are you feeling offended?

not at all. i'd love to hear an actual argument or have an actual discussion about anything i said. i really would. dismissing an entire argument because of "privilege" is the very problem that I'm actually talking about.

I will say one of my biggest pet peeves, and it's gotten so bad that I can't even ever really address it, is bad rhetoric in arguments. Logical fallacies and bad rhetoric. I started really caring about it when I taught the AP Language and Composition seminar a few years back in Tianjin. Now it is such a morass of poo poo in almost every place I look it's impossible to even address it.

It was cool though, I had a long interaction in November after Trump got elected on someone's Facebook post, I can't remember what it was about, but I got invited to a private Facebook group called RespEcho Chamber and it's all these professors and professionals in USA I don't know that post about all kinds of cool poo poo and it's all really sound and good arguments. It's the only place I post on Facebook now, lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think if you care about logical consistency and good arguments you would have been disappointed 10 years ago and also 20 years ago and also 30 years ago. You're just paying attention to it now and maybe the specific form of bad argument has changed over time but when exactly do you think normal people and the news etc were basing their political opinions on actual critical reasoning?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I think if you care about logical consistency and good arguments you would have been disappointed 10 years ago and also 20 years ago and also 30 years ago. You're just paying attention to it now and maybe the specific form of bad argument has changed over time but when exactly do you think normal people and the news etc were basing their political opinions on actual critical reasoning?

you may be right, I don't know, 10 years ago I was more worried about trying to figure out what bar leslie lowe was going drinking at that weekend, 20 years ago I only cared about the TGIF lineup and ice hockey, and 30 years ago I was 4 and liked eating frozen peas while watching 3-2-1 contact and sesame street, can't really say with any certainty at all that i was worried all that much about anything at age 4, i don't remember it entirely well to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Funny how right at the time you grew up the children became wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik