Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda hoping that the game doesn't end where I think it will, cause that's seriously anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sea Sponge Run posted:

beginning of every month i think

Pretty sure it's like 2-3 months, because I don't think they changed that often for me. Plus you get two more theaters available later on with their own cycle of films.

Speaking of; Pach-Saw is loving magical. Two men; trapped in a room with a rampaging Elephant. I would pay money to see that film.

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda hoping that the game doesn't end where I think it will, cause that's seriously anticlimactic.

Please share your guess so we can snicker quietly at how far off-base you are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing with the Hawaii trip; I loved that the conceit for getting Ryuji and Ann hanging out overnight is both sides of "well, my roommate's girlfriend came over to gently caress him" and "my roommate took the key with her when she went off to gently caress her boyfriend".

That's a good scene. Ann and Ryuji are basically two of a kind and it's a great.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

kawakami is the true way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please share your guess so we can snicker quietly at how far off-base you are.

Okay, it's late November, Shido's palace is a giant boat, I'm only just now hitting level 50, I can't go to school anymore, my social links are freaking out over my supposed death, I have no idea what's at the end of Mementos, I still don't know what the gently caress Morgana is, there's no crazy goddess or Death Star moon threatening the world with an apocalypse, the detective did it, again, and the last day of the game is 12/24. They aren't seriously going to try and resolve everything in like three in-game weeks including free time, are they?

I really suggest not hovering over that if you wanna keep yourself unspoiled, by the way.

RME posted:

kawakami is the true way

Goth doctor best tho. Though Kawakami is a great option too.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So what do you get from getting a good score on the exams? I'm pretty sure I didn't study enough for the first one
Also there's never any locked chests in Mementos right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Item Getter posted:

So what do you get from getting a good score on the exams? I'm pretty sure I didn't study enough for the first one

Popularity leads to intimacy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just Charm points as far as I know, and there absolutely can be locked chests in Mementos.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Mementos does occasionally have locked chests but they are incredibly rare

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They are also never worth it.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Started NG+. I skipped through almost everything to get fast travel back again but the initial scripted fight where you lose in Kamoshido's dungeon was hilarious since I'm still wearing all my endgame gear and the Shadows do about 2 damage a piece.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

get at me atlus

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's a good scene. Ann and Ryuji are basically two of a kind and it's a great.

Ryuji is dumb in the game's plot. Ann is dumb in her SL.

I'm leaning towards Ryuji being worse because he starts to really grate about halfway through the game.

Also maybe it's just me, but one thing I'm feeling that P5 is lacking is in the extra scenes. Like the school trip was really bare-bones compared to P3 and P4. In P4 you had Teddie sneaking in, the guys ending up walking in on Kashiwagi and the chubby girl, King's Game, and the closing scene at the ramen place. In P3 you had Operation Babe Hunt.

Here you just kind of... pass the four days in a blur, punk on Mishima a little, and spend a little time with 1-2 people. Maybe it's just a byproduct of having Morgana dictate your every action instead of the omniscient narrator describing what you're doing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
People aren't kidding when they say Persona 5 gets way too real.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Late game stuff:

So I just hit the big fight with Akechi and after the biggest challenge I've had in awhile (though it still wasn't all that bad, mostly it was an issue because it came as such a surprise and I had low SP at the start) I had him on the ropes after doing exactly what I had to do to stay alive from the last gasp attack. super low hp primed and ready for joker to use a one hit kill skill to finish him. I got all hyped up to deal the final blow and... my opponent lived. Then Makoto took a normal swing and missed, and Ryuji just fired off one shotgun shot for 21 damage to end the fight.

Still worked out pretty fine in my book. I am sad that now I need to leave a save with a fight or two between me and that fight though, if I'd saved better I could've cut out at least one and I guess I'll do that if I ever go back to fight it out again. Looking forward to what comes next!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm leaning towards Ryuji being worse because he starts to really grate about halfway through the game.

Also maybe it's just me, but one thing I'm feeling that P5 is lacking is in the extra scenes. Like the school trip was really bare-bones compared to P3 and P4. In P4 you had Teddie sneaking in, the guys ending up walking in on Kashiwagi and the chubby girl, King's Game, and the closing scene at the ramen place. In P3 you had Operation Babe Hunt.

Here you just kind of... pass the four days in a blur, punk on Mishima a little, and spend a little time with 1-2 people. Maybe it's just a byproduct of having Morgana dictate your every action instead of the omniscient narrator describing what you're doing.

P5 does have less goofy group shenanigans than P4. The plot's paced a bit better and is more consistent throughout so there's more scenes around that, rather than the gang just hanging out beyond like Hawaii and a beach trip. But on the other hand it doesn't have the often sorta uncomfortable and unfunny group scenes P4 sometimes has and I think there's stronger individual relationships between party members in P5 compared to 4 and 3.

Also, I think i've mentioned before that Ryuji goes from being extremely cool and good in the beginning to an idiot who gets carried away with bad decisions in the mid-game. But now that i've finished the game I can say he recovers from that rather well, gets some good development acknowledges he's been an rear end in a top hat, and returns to being extremely good and cool again.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, it's late November, Shido's palace is a giant boat, I'm only just now hitting level 50, I can't go to school anymore, my social links are freaking out over my supposed death, I have no idea what's at the end of Mementos, I still don't know what the gently caress Morgana is, there's no crazy goddess or Death Star moon threatening the world with an apocalypse, the detective did it, again, and the last day of the game is 12/24. They aren't seriously going to try and resolve everything in like three in-game weeks including free time, are they?

I really suggest not hovering over that if you wanna keep yourself unspoiled, by the way.

Goth doctor best tho. Though Kawakami is a great option too.

having the doctor in her punk outfit when i turned her down was a v rude move by the game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

P5 does have less goofy group shenanigans than P4. The plot's paced a bit better and is more consistent throughout so there's more scenes around that, rather than the gang just hanging out beyond like Hawaii and a beach trip. But on the other hand it doesn't have the often sorta uncomfortable and unfunny group scenes P4 sometimes has and I think there's stronger individual relationships between party members in P5 compared to 4 and 3.

Also, I think i've mentioned before that Ryuji goes from being extremely cool and good in the beginning to an idiot who gets carried away with bad decisions in the mid-game. But now that i've finished the game I can say he recovers from that rather well, gets some good development acknowledges he's been an rear end in a top hat, and returns to being extremely good and cool again.

To be fair; Ryuji getting up his own rear end about popularity, along with the rest of the Phantom Thieves eventually, is a major plot arc for them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair; Ryuji getting up his own rear end about popularity, along with the rest of the Phantom Thieves eventually, is a major plot arc for them.

Yeah. It's just that at the time of playing it I thought it was going to be a "well there's our idiot Ryuji" sort of thing. Like how Yosuke never really learns or apologises for being an idiot in some of his more questionable actions. But the fact that Ryuji is an rear end in a top hat in plot rather than in goofy side-stuff means the story gets to actually address that and progress from it (outside of his conflict with Morgana being kinda ignored once he joins back up). Which I guess means I was just kinda selling short the game's writing. I was impressed and really enjoyed Ryuji's sorta arc in the late-game is what i'm saying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I got the Slack Off ability super early and I have had it happen exactly once so far

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, I got the Slack Off ability super early and I have had it happen exactly once so far

It happened to me 3 times in the entire game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is slack off randomized? That really sucks.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah Slack offs are rare, enhanced slack off that makes her call away other teachers are more common. Between the two I think I had 6 or 7 cases of free time, but I got her fairly late. Making a beeline for her next time, especially if I'm on merciless I'll need to brew up coffee/curry every drat day so I want to be able to do that for free asap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It happened to me 3 times in the entire game.

It pops a little more often once you get the upgrade for it happening in anyone's class, but yeah it's pretty rare. I like the conceit for the other classes is Kawakami prank-calling the other teachers out of the room.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Is slack off randomized? That really sucks.

No, its set days.

Its just there are like 10 total in the entire game including the upgraded version where she calls out other teachers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Parked myself outside what I presume to be the boss of the first palace, but I missed a locked chest earlier. We have the ability to revisit dungeons after we've cleared them, right?

Gotta say, I'm glad they ditched P3 and 4's procedurally-generated dungeons in favor of planning them out instead. This first one has been pretty fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Parked myself outside what I presume to be the boss of the first palace, but I missed a locked chest earlier. We have the ability to revisit dungeons after we've cleared them, right?

Gotta say, I'm glad they ditched P3 and 4's procedurally-generated dungeons in favor of planning them out instead. This first one has been pretty fun.

You can't revisit palaces unfortunately, but you do get the opportunity to explore the palace the day you send a calling card. So you've still got time to grab it.

And yeah, even if most of the later dungeons run too long I think this is the most fun i've ever had dungeon-crawling in a turn based rpg. It's good and cool.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so i'm starting a merciless ng+ playthrough. i got max social stats, a healthy compendium and decent items. how tight is my timing if i wanna do all the trophies, like full compendium and all confidants?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Bad Seafood posted:

We have the ability to revisit dungeons after we've cleared them, right?

It's gone as soon as you beat it :v:

(You can still re-visit areas you missed, but be weary of that alert level)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

you cannot revisit after the boss is defeated, but youre probably better off saving your lockpick anyways

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Moltrey posted:

lmao what the gently caress

its basically the end of mgs4. they both are totally out of sp4 and just fistfight each other in the shadow version of dojimas house.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RME posted:

you cannot revisit after the boss is defeated, but youre probably better off saving your lockpick anyways

There's really nothing missable from treasure chests worth fretting over, and you get loot of a similar quality from Mementos anyway. I'm just glad that eventually you can make an Eternal Lockpick.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can't revisit palaces unfortunately, but you do get the opportunity to explore the palace the day you send a calling card. So you've still got time to grab it.

corn on the cop posted:

It's gone as soon as you beat it :v:

(You can still re-visit areas you missed, but be weary of that alert level)

RME posted:

Well, that's a shame. Fortunately I need to pull out anyway to recover my SP (thanks again to everyone who got back to me on that, by the by), so I might as well craft a few more lockpicks so I can nab that chest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And yeah, even if most of the later dungeons run too long I think this is the most fun i've ever had dungeon-crawling in a turn based rpg. It's good and cool.
Yeah, while I enjoyed the combat of Persona 4, the dungeon crawling was kind of a slog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Well, that's a shame. Fortunately I need to pull out anyway to recover my SP (thanks again to everyone who got back to me on that, by the by), so I might as well craft a few more lockpicks so I can nab that chest.
Yeah, while I enjoyed the combat of Persona 4, the dungeon crawling was kind of a slog.

If you're right at the entrance to the Treasure room, keep going to the Treasure. P5 works differently in that you need to make a second run for the Treasure after securing the route.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Palace 7 spoilers eat poo poo and die akechi i hope you're loving dead behind that wall

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're right at the entrance to the Treasure room, keep going to the Treasure. P5 works differently in that you need to make a second run for the Treasure after securing the route.
I mean, I'm still running low on SP, which I don't fancy the boss'll take kindly to.

Are you saying after I beat the boss I'll need to leave and come back?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I mean, I'm still running low on SP, which I don't fancy the boss'll take kindly to.

youre forced out before the boss, once you've secured a route
like as a mechanic
it'll make sense if you jsut do it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Getting to the end of the dungeon doesn't start the boss. The final enemy in Palace 1 is a Mara shadow. If you've done that fight you can safely explore the last couple of rooms no problem.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's kind of a shame you can't revisit palaces after you've done them because I'd love to have reasons to go back to some of them for side missions or such. They have some really cool environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ApplesandOranges posted:

fwiw, the only event you listed that I liked was the King's Game and that's only for drunk Rise and Yukiko voices, the rest are kinda really unfunny imo

meanwhile with P5 you have really cool side scenes without the protag, like Sojiro with Yusuke and Ann with Makoto that Persona 4 never did

Farg posted:

its basically the end of mgs4. they both are totally out of sp4 and just fistfight each other in the shadow version of dojimas house.
ahahaha that rules, i actually wanna watch golden now