Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurtofan posted:

How do you work at the flower shop and the convenience store in Shibuya? I need to work there for requests.

Theres a stand in the Shibuya underground near where you spawn that has help wanted pamphlets for all the Shibuya jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kurtofan posted:

How do you work at the flower shop and the convenience store in Shibuya? I need to work there for requests.

Yep read the magazine stand. Convenience store will take you right away but is the worst job with the lowest money earned and no stat boosts. Flowershop takes charm of at least rank 2 and will increase kindness, and outside of a few confidants kindness rank ups are fairly rare so it's not a bad job to do if you have nothing else to do.

To trigger the requests you shouldn't have to work there more than like, 2 days tops, so you can pretty much just do that and then never worry about 'em again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zore posted:

Theres a stand in the Shibuya underground near where you spawn that has help wanted pamphlets for all the Shibuya jobs.

ah drat it, I always forget about this, thanks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NowonSA posted:

It happened really easily for me, it was way harder in P4. I may have just gotten lucky with him showing up though. I never had any trouble catching fish along the way either, never bought more than the casual rod.

If you want to maximize your fishing value, go at night on one of those rare rainy nights, you get more big fish and more of them will be x2 value. I had a guardian show up on one of those times, and he also showed up the first time I could fish with the most expensive bait.

Now that I've seen all the rewards I doubt I'll bother with fishing much at all in my next game, at most I'll do enough to nab the upgradeable gear, no way is it worth the timesink for a soul vest. Even the gear probably isn't worth it, but it'll be something to do if I've already done literally everything else I wanted.

I'm on the final free day in the game so I don't have the ability to put any real effort into getting better stuff or whatever or waiting for better days, so I just left an alternate save to go back to and fish it up sometime when I want the trophy.

Got my final Chihaya rank, and therefore all S.Links max, with a day to spare. :v:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 17, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Finished the second palace, way easier than the first because it had to be done in chunks. The 1st one was kinda brutal pushing the treasure in one go. This one has to be done in a couple of chunks and the boss was a complete joke for my level 19 team. Gives you plenty of opprotunity to grind also.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The (early dungeon #2 mechanics) treasure Personas seem super overpowered, I didn't fuse using one yet but I figured when they were introduced that you couldn't summon them from the compendium?
Yet they show up in the compendium with a summoning cost which is only like 4000 yen ??

I am playing the first time on Hard and I bust out laughing when Joker got immediately one-shotted in the battle after (dungeon 2)Yusuke's persona awakening

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Item Getter posted:

The (early dungeon #2 mechanics) treasure Personas seem super overpowered, I didn't fuse using one yet but I figured when they were introduced that you couldn't summon them from the compendium?
Yet they show up in the compendium with a summoning cost which is only like 4000 yen ??

SMT games seem easy in that you are about one bad turn from getting hosed up hard if you hadn't wiped them out first. Bring your A-Game, or suffer accordingly.

Item Getter posted:

I am playing the first time on Hard and I bust out laughing when Joker got immediately one-shotted in the battle after (dungeon 2)Yusuke's persona awakening

Welcome to a Shin Megami Tensei hard mode, motherfucker. These are for those who seek the Thrill of Death :toughguy:.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Welcome to a Shin Megami Tensei hard mode, motherfucker. These are for those who seek the Thrill of Death :toughguy:.

I'm used to it but I always thought of battles like that as glorified cutscenes

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Finished the game today. Everything lategame is just a victim to Yoshitsune and Hassu Tobi just like in Persona 4.

Persona 4 Golden is a more complete package than Persona 5, but there's no way Altus does not make a definitive version of Persona 5 with a bunch more junk to do.

Now that they got their feet grounded well with current gen consoles where's my Catherine 2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

Finished the game today. Everything lategame is just a victim to Yoshitsune and Hassu Tobi just like in Persona 4.

Persona 4 Golden is a more complete package than Persona 5, but there's no way Altus does not make a definitive version of Persona 5 with a bunch more junk to do.

Now that they got their feet grounded well with current gen consoles where's my Catherine 2?

Next game's looking to be a main-line SMT title on the Switch. It'll probably turn up on the PS4 as well, whatever it is.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
should i play this in english or japanese? i usually find english anime dubs bad, did they do a good job??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

should i play this in english or japanese? i usually find english anime dubs bad, did they do a good job??

The dub in Persona games are generally great, play it in english.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Japanese all the way. It's an all star cast without forced onto the VA's bad pronunciations, and the English script as a whole is generally poorly worded and stiff as a board even when it's avoiding straight up errors.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Depends how bothered you are by hearing people's names mispronounced in really strange ways

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

It's a good dub. I pretty much always choose subbed japanese in anything where a choice is available, but for this game there's so much verbal information coming at you during combat that hearing it in a language you're fluent in makes a huge difference.

You're not locked into your choice, so you can always try both.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Item Getter posted:

Depends how bothered you are by hearing people's names mispronounced in really strange ways

Atlus told them to pronounce it that way hth

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Atlus told them to pronounce it that way hth

That doesn't change the fact that they're mispronounced, they're just intentionally mispronounced which makes it exactly 0% better.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Sitting in the final dungeon struggling to scrape enough cash together to fuse up my super Yoshi. Money is the true final boss of this game. Between gear and filling the compendium I've blown through around two million in December.

On the bright side, Futaba's trophy just popped so it looks like I'll be completing the list after all. :toot:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Early dungeon 6, ace attorney 5 spoilers The detective kid's costume looks like the outfit of that detective that fucks you over in aa5 so I'm kind of suspicious :lol:

Doesn't help that they both talk about JUSTICE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My #1 wish for the inevitable rerelease: give party members Baton Pass by default. I tend to use new party members for the dungeon where they join anyway, but it'd be way nicer if they could Baton Pass without needing to wait for their confidant to start.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

My #1 wish for the inevitable rerelease: give party members Baton Pass by default. I tend to use new party members for the dungeon where they join anyway, but it'd be way nicer if they could Baton Pass without needing to wait for their confidant to start.

All I want are the more arbitrary "save and go the gently caress to sleep" evenings freed up. I can accept some of them needing you ready and raring to go the following day for something major, but a fair few are just needlessly locked out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd make Baton Pass a stock option you can always do but it only powers attacks up after crits/weakness hits. I'd probably consider making swapping party during a fight baseline as well to be honest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Just listen to whichever you usually prefer. If you like subs better go with them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so relationships are part of the social link system, is that right? I can't max out a link with one of the girls without saying yes or no to the ~big question~

and no take backs i assume

or can i just romance everyone and pick at the end (just like i would in the real life)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I really want to thank this game for letting me (October 25-27th spoilers) scream out my love for Makoto in front of the entire school. I don't think I laughed that hard over anything in P4.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, so how does the Fortune link work, specifically the stat/link fortunes? Maybe I'm misreading the stat one but it seems to increase the chance of a stat-up? Not an immediate stat point then and there, right? And the confidant link one - does that immediately put it on the cusp of ranking up or just add some points to it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurtofan posted:

so relationships are part of the social link system, is that right? I can't max out a link with one of the girls without saying yes or no to the ~big question~

and no take backs i assume

Yup. Don't cheat on your waifu with multiple girls, or you will pay dearly for it later.

Also it will give you big warning sirens and flashing lights about when the choice comes, so you can't accidentally get into a relationship by random choices. It'll give you a big "I should choose my words carefully..." warning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

Ok, so how does the Fortune link work, specifically the stat/link fortunes? Maybe I'm misreading the stat one but it seems to increase the chance of a stat-up? Not an immediate stat point then and there, right? And the confidant link one - does that immediately put it on the cusp of ranking up or just add some points to it?

As far as I know, the stat-up fortune reading makes you get one extra point the next time you'd gain points for that stat (on the same day). I'm not quite sure how the relationship one works--it sounds like what you said, but that'd be pretty drat powerful if that was the case.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 17, 2017

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Levantine posted:

And the confidant link one - does that immediately put it on the cusp of ranking up or just add some points to it?

Some Confidants require multiple fortune readings to push them into ranking up territory. She tells you something like, "I think your relationship will deepen now" her fortune reading pushed them into a rank up.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Levantine posted:

And the confidant link one - does that immediately put it on the cusp of ranking up or just add some points to it?

Just adds points, and not very many; my unscientific testing suggests less than you'd get for one hangout.

Still obviously worth it, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What level are y'all finishing the game at? I feel like I won't even come close to the 80s to finish the compendium. Unless I grind like crazy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

What level are y'all finishing the game at? I feel like I won't even come close to the 80s to finish the compendium. Unless I grind like crazy.

I finished at like... 73? 74? Something like that. If you want to break levelling over your knee, go to Mementos on a Flu Day and wait for the Reaper. If you are very lucky, he'll be suffering from Despair. Wait :unsmigghh:.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harlock posted:

Finished it at 70. Didn't grind at all though

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

I really want to thank this game for letting me (October 25-27th spoilers) scream out my love for Makoto in front of the entire school. I don't think I laughed that hard over anything in P4.

Her social link offers so few (safe) opportunities to mess with her that I was very happy to see that one!

Harlock posted:

Late 60s, I think? Level becomes kind of irrelevant once you've maxed Sun and Strength.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's 11/25 and people's average level is 60 whereas I'm only 54. I'm trying to figure out where this horrible level deficit happened to me, but I'm coming up empty.

It's worrying though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It's 11/25 and people's average level is 60 whereas I'm only 54. I'm trying to figure out where this horrible level deficit happened to me, but I'm coming up empty.

It's worrying though.

People on Safe mode are probably skewing the average, and it's also past the first Flu Season for easy Reaper farming. I was at your level at that time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It's worrying though.

Don't be worried. I was around that level when I finished Palace 7 and the next one gave a ton of exp that closed the gap super quick with no extra effort.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Alright, thanks for the reassurance guys!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Temperance confidant spoilers (through rank 8): I'm kinda shocked at how successfully this confidant progressed from "haha my teacher's a maid oh god this is awkward but also hilarious" to "oh my god Kawakami you've been through so much :smith:". Gotta be in the running for the best confidant in the game.

I don't plan to do the romance route so I hope the friendship route ending is suitably heartwarming. She deserves a happy resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's pretty heartwarming, don't worry. It's legit a great S Link, and that's before we get into the fact that it has one of the best Confidant perks.