Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Temperance confidant spoilers (through rank 8): I'm kinda shocked at how successfully this confidant progressed from "haha my teacher's a maid oh god this is awkward but also hilarious" to "oh my god Kawakami you've been through so much :smith:". Gotta be in the running for the best confidant in the game.

I don't plan to do the romance route so I hope the friendship route ending is suitably heartwarming. She deserves a happy resolution.

What's a happier resolution than giving her ever lasting and monogamous love with no cheating because she's obviously the greatest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Let's see what's on the ol' Mementos Agenda for today:
Kill your friend's parents
Kill your friend's friend's parents
Kill your friend's parent
Kill your friend's parent
Kill a dead kid's parents
Kill your friend's uncle

Uh...alright. Cool. I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

It's pretty heartwarming, don't worry. It's legit a great S Link, and that's before we get into the fact that it has one of the best Confidant perks.

I kinda wish that she would just turn up in regular clothes instead of the maid outfit though. It is a bit silly really.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Most of the links are pretty good in this game with the exception of Tower, probably.

My only gripe is how the rank 10 for non party members is mostly the same generic thing (save for Sojiro).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Given the non-spoiler stuff I'm seeing on this page this game really will end where I think it will end. Oh well. Might as well finish it up later today.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Am I right in assuming that the time before dungeon 7 is the last free time I'm going to get?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

should i play this in english or japanese? i usually find english anime dubs bad, did they do a good job??

I say play it in English only because there's a lot of anime cutscenes later in the game where they forgot to add subtitles to important plot stuff. I could infer what was going on and they usually explain it after the anime cutscene is over but it was really irritating

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Am I right in assuming that the time before dungeon 7 is the last free time I'm going to get?

Same deal as Persona 4, if that helps.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harlock posted:

Most of the links are pretty good in this game with the exception of Tower, probably.

My only gripe is how the rank 10 for non party members is mostly the same generic thing (save for Sojiro).

Tower is good too, IMO. I really like the brotherly dynamic between Shinya and Joker. The VA is Not Good but that doesn't really detract from it being a nice outlet and also a comment on correcting course via example rather than merely stealing hearts, as you help instill in Shinya even before you fix his mother how "winning" isn't everything, which I mean before that Shinya woulda been on his way towards having a Palace of his own one day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tower is fine.

It's not Nanako levels of good for the obligatory kid link, but Nanako is a precious angel so it's not a fair comparison.

Ohya (Devil?) is the worst because she's just boring. She's not wearing a GET SMOKED hat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hanged Man ended up being my favorite confidant, Fortune and Emperor were a little bland, Moon is still the worst one for me even though it turns around half way through

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I generally really like how well-integrated the S. Links and main story are this time around. I like when confidants occasionally show up during the main story, like when you need to call a doctor for Futaba, and how being a Phantom Thief lets you help them all, too.

Also, I don't remember clearly: did social link characters cross over into each others' links much in Persona 3 and 4? Like the scene where you run into Hifumi while book shopping with Makoto was pretty funny and I enjoyed Joker's reaction when Makoto claimed he was only there to hold her books, or when you go fishing with Ryuji and Kawakami is the master. Gaining 3 points with each after saying, "Call her MASTER Kawakami" made me laugh a whole lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I generally really like how well-integrated the S. Links and main story are this time around. I like when confidants occasionally show up during the main story, like when you need to call a doctor for Futaba, and how being a Phantom Thief lets you help them all, too.

Also, I don't remember clearly: did social link characters cross over into each others' links much in Persona 3 and 4? Like the scene where you run into Hifumi while book shopping with Makoto was pretty funny and I enjoyed Joker's reaction when Makoto claimed he was only there to hold her books, or when you go fishing with Ryuji and Kawakami is the master. Gaining 3 points with each after saying, "Call her MASTER Kawakami" made me laugh a whole lot.

No, the only time S.Links in P3/4 crossed over was when you really didn't want them to because there's the other girl you're dating and oh poo poo oh poo poo RUN!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lakbay posted:

Hanged Man ended up being my favorite confidant, Fortune and Emperor were a little bland, Moon is still the worst one for me even though it turns around half way through

It took me a bit to get a grip on what kinds of answers Iwai likes, but once I did he became one of my favorite links to do. Going to the buffet with him is great.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

No, you will have free time until 12/23 even if you do the dungeon earlier. It isn't like Persona 4.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the only time S.Links in P3/4 crossed over was when you really didn't want them to because there's the other girl you're dating and oh poo poo oh poo poo RUN!

What happens in P5 is a less frequent version of how it goes in Golden, and in fact I expected more overall crossover scenes than we got, though it seems they saved them for incidental hang-outs to encourage that you do those more.

But in Golden you'd have people run into you while you hung out with Marie, which allowed you to get bonus points with different groups and it was really cool

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

Kawakami is the master. Gaining 3 points with each after saying, "Call her MASTER Kawakami" made me laugh a whole lot.

Especially because he seems to have a goofy grin on his face and she blushes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For a profession that relies heavily on secrecy, the MC is very careless with his confidants. All of them with a Mementos request go the same way:

"Oh this person is the cause of most of my problems if only they would have a change of heart or something."
"Tell me their name."
"Sure, but I don't see why that matters."
*Goes and changes their heart*
"Hey my problems are no more because that person completely changed! Well you're obviously a Phantom Thief since I only told you my problem and they totally had a change of heart."

Gets me every time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SettingSun posted:

For a profession that relies heavily on secrecy, the MC is very careless with his confidants. All of them with a Mementos request go the same way:

"Oh this person is the cause of most of my problems if only they would have a change of heart or something."
"Tell me their name."
"Hey my problems are no more because that person completely changed! Well you're obviously a Phantom Thief since I only told you my problem and they totally had a change of heart."

Gets me every time.

This is why Yoshida is one of my favorites because he works it out without that big clue.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What happens in P5 is a less frequent version of how it goes in Golden, and in fact I expected more overall crossover scenes than we got, though it seems they saved them for incidental hang-outs to encourage that you do those more.

But in Golden you'd have people run into you while you hung out with Marie, which allowed you to get bonus points with different groups and it was really cool

I think they sort of have to be limited to the incidental hangout scenes to avoid needing to plot lock too many social link ranks. Like if there was a rank of Ryuji's link where Makoto showed up you'd have to wait until she joined to do that one. Putting crossovers in the minor hangout scenes is probably the best compromise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MC:"Hey tell me the name of the person who's loving you over for... reasons."
Confidant: "ok"
[Ryuji passes by]
Ryuji: "OH poo poo THAT'S MY BOY MAIN CHARACTER! HE'S THE LEADER OF THE PHANTOM THIEVES, I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I'M A MEMBER TOO! PHANTOM THIEVES!!!"
MC: "Hell yeah, that's me, what's up buddy"
Ryuji: "lol remember that time we called the maid"
MC: "Not so loud buddy, if people find out about that we're hosed! keep that poo poo on the down low jesus christ"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SettingSun posted:

"Tell me their name."

Gets me every time.

Even though everyone says the MC is quiet, he's even worst than Ryuji at keeping the Phantom Thieves a secret

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

"Tell me their name."

Gets me every time.

The appropriate level of Moon should have had an option to ask Mishima "Hey, what's your name again?"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I think they sort of have to be limited to the incidental hangout scenes to avoid needing to plot lock too many social link ranks. Like if there was a rank of Ryuji's link where Makoto showed up you'd have to wait until she joined to do that one. Putting crossovers in the minor hangout scenes is probably the best compromise.

I see why they didn't, but in the future I think it'd be interesting to let you start an S-link with a future party member before they've joined up. It'd make for an interesting dynamic, to have existing friendships change and develop due to a Persona influence.

Of course, I genuinely hope they retire the S-link system after this one. I had thought they'd hit the plateau in P4, I do think they've done it now. The mechanic will lose its novelty if it becomes a series staple and I think that they don't need it to make something interesting.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Has anyone seen posters of Rise in the subway? I thought that was a nice cameo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At this point I'm waiting for Akechi to stroll into Leblanc right as Ryuji's yelling, "Being the Phantom Thieves is great! I love being a Phantom Thief with my friends MC, Ann Takamaki, Yusuke Kitagawa, Makoto Niishima, Futaba Sakura, and this talking cat! We are definitely the Phantom Thieves and if anyone can hear this, this confession is admissible in court!"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mishima needs to show up in everyone's link so they can trash him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SettingSun posted:

"Tell me their name."

Gets me every time.

I didn't really mind it, even if it did get repetitive, just because your Confidant is generally backed into a wall and completely hosed if you don't go make a Change of Heart happen. It's not like you're just leaping at the first misfortune they have.

The Deleter posted:

The one it alternates with is the girl from Persona 4: Dancing All Night, incidentally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Deleter posted:

Get the poster of Rise in your room

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Deleter posted:

If you take Ann to Harajuku you can get one of your own to hang in your hip attic loft.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Lakbay posted:

I say play it in English only because there's a lot of anime cutscenes later in the game where they forgot to add subtitles to important plot stuff. I could infer what was going on and they usually explain it after the anime cutscene is over but it was really irritating

You can turn on subtitles in the settings.I'm not sure why it's not automatically switched on but it's there

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SettingSun posted:

"Tell me their name."

Gets me every time.

I'm not sure why you think the MC cares if they can deduce the truth.

It's not like they can prove any direct causality anyway. Supernatural powers motherfuckersssss

And more importantly they're his close friends anyway, do you really think they're gonna be mega pissed you used your supernatural powers to markedly improve their lives

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pastrymancy posted:

You can turn on subtitles in the settings.I'm not sure why it's not automatically switched on but it's there

I turned on subtitles from the very beginning but there's stuff in anime cutscenes they completely forgot to subtitle.

The first time is the news report Sae and the SIU Director are watching and they didn't subtitle the report even though it's the focus of the entire cutscene, but Sae and the director have subtitles still

Much later on they also forget to subtitle a news report that's a plot dump and the focus of a cutscene and then even later they forgot to subtitle Ryuji's dialog while everyone else had subs

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I see why they didn't, but in the future I think it'd be interesting to let you start an S-link with a future party member before they've joined up. It'd make for an interesting dynamic, to have existing friendships change and develop due to a Persona influence.

Of course, I genuinely hope they retire the S-link system after this one. I had thought they'd hit the plateau in P4, I do think they've done it now. The mechanic will lose its novelty if it becomes a series staple and I think that they don't need it to make something interesting.
I don't know why you'd throw out one of your most polished and most central systems when it's currently the best it's ever been. It has heaps of design space left, especially if you decouple them from the Major Arcana.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
never get rid of slinks and make all of them romancable, especially toranosuke

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't played them, but if you removed s.links wouldn't the game just be SMT but with a high school protagonist

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

I haven't played them, but if you removed s.links wouldn't the game just be SMT but with a high school protagonist

Pretty much, yes. The mainline SMT games are straight dungeon-crawlers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MotU posted:

never get rid of slinks and make all of them romancable, especially toranosuke

Alternatively, keep s.links but make less of them romanceable but have actual intersection with the main story in areas where it makes sense for them to intersect like the handful of times where it would make sense in P5 but it doesn't at all. (EG when Ann comes to your room at Hawaii)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

"Tell me their name."

Gets me every time.

I actually kind of like this because it ties in well to Joker's actions pre-game. he's a rebel in that he's going to try and stop any abuse of authority regardless of the consequences to him personally, unlike the people around him who justify their inaction in the name of self-interest. You gradually get the sense that even if given the chance for a do-over, Joker would still stop the assault from happening because at the end of the day it's the right thing to do, personal consequences be damned. It's the same with the Confidants, and Joker doesn't really care if he makes himself blindingly obvious because he's not going to stand aside in the face of injustice.

if the P3 MC's main trait is supposed to be apathy and P4's is leadership, P5's is absolutely having a strong moral center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Alternatively, keep s.links but make less of them romanceable but have actual intersection with the main story in areas where it makes sense for them to intersect like the handful of times where it would make sense in P5 but it doesn't at all. (EG when Ann comes to your room at Hawaii)

Ehh, I think most of them are okay with the general inference of a separation of church and state with your personal and 'work' relationships together. Some of the events could use an extra line or two to infer a discrete relationship though. Just stuff like the question about what kind of girls the protagonist likes when they're chatting overnight in the room.