Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Xaris posted:

This owns. Also the Molduga music was really good.

While i think there are some legit criticisms that become apparent after you spend 150+ hrs into this game (like any open-world game honestly, i have way more gripes with AC, SoM, etc), the music was probably the most disappointing overall. Hyrule Castle was really the only major level with any music that wasn't nearly elevator-music. I can still fondly remember OoT/MM songs but in this I think the most I'll remember is Molduga fight music

I think the music is amazing but I also think more could've been done with it. Having the same ambient tunes on about every part of the map seemed odd. Some more variety would've been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

While i think there are some legit criticisms that become apparent after you spend 150+ hrs into this game (like any open-world game honestly, i have way more gripes with AC, SoM, etc), the music was probably the most disappointing overall. Hyrule Castle was really the only major level with any music that wasn't nearly elevator-music. I can still fondly remember OoT/MM songs but in this I think the most I'll remember is Molduga fight music

This is my big criticism too, ambient music is cool and all but it just doesn't hold a candle to some strong tracks.

They borrowed the Xenoblade: Chronicles devs, why didn't they borrow the Xenoblade: Chronicles music? :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So for guardians, I feel like there seems to be a correlation between "the difficulty of killing it" to "the quality of loot you get from it"-- guardians where I waste a lot of ammo/weapon durability always seemed to drop more stuff than the ones I hacked to death with the master sword, for example.

So I don't know if there's a correlation or just nutso luck, but I'm currently 5/5 for getting cores/giant cores from guardians I rode down in Hyrule Field while on a horse. Going to test it a bit more next blood moon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

accurate

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

That one's pretty good but how about :

http://www.dorkly.com/post/82885/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-beginning-vs-end

Edit: Jesus, OK, I'll just link it.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 17, 2017

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I love how you can spend nearly 200 hours on this game and still be surprised by it.

Xaris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWVKu1gnWs
I really like this explanation of the musical theme of botw. It makes sense why botw's musical score is more subdued.

edit: how dare you not find kass' theme memorable!!

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 17, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is my big criticism too, ambient music is cool and all but it just doesn't hold a candle to some strong tracks.

They borrowed the Xenoblade: Chronicles devs, why didn't they borrow the Xenoblade: Chronicles music? :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk-dQceR3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxLijQvEa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpVFML2cQeQ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This song is loving art you pleb.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Internet Kraken posted:

This song is loving art you pleb.

You cannot be loving serious.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I was curious to see if the dude on the Ridgeland Tower ever gave you more than 100 rupees for the distance parasailing, and uh

apparently someone made it from Ridgeland to Eventide Island, for a grand total of 7,616m.

https://youtu.be/mQBXBFzcn88

rear end in a top hat still gives you 100 rupees for it

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

That same guy used some more glitches (mainly the Magnesis glitch) to travel even further. The game tops out at 10,000m even if you aren't done yet. You still get 100 rupees.

Edit: It was actually the first related video that came up for me.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 17, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

That same guy used some more glitches (mainly the Magnesis glitch) to travel even further. The game tops out at 10,000m even if you aren't done yet. You still get 100 rupees.

Edit: It was actually the first related video that came up for me.

:allears:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fix posted:

You cannot be loving serious.

just because you don't "get" it doesn't make it any less art

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yinlock posted:

just because you don't "get" it doesn't make it any less art
My favorite thing about that music is how much it reminds me of The World Ends With You.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are two very different games with a different dude doing the music. Also Xenoblade Chronicles' music is actually good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Also Xenoblade Chronicles is actually good.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I'm looking for ways to extend the life of this game. I've got 575 Korok seeds and they are starting to get hard to stumble across. So, does anyone want to race?

I ran from Akallah Research lab to the Gerudo Fairy fountain in 30:07:16. No fast travel or speed boost potions; only running, shield surfing, horse riding, and paragliding. Anyone care to challenge my time? It's pretty fun, though the weather can really gently caress you up. A walker lost me probably 20 seconds because it kept shooting me off a wall I was trying to climb. I probably should have killed it, but I foolishly just kept trying to climb out of its range.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think someone in this thread did it in 23 minutes.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
^^^Someone else in this thread had the same silly race idea, and from the same start and finish?
Just took a new route and shattered my time. Only had some minor difficulties with a molduga and my horse's (lack of) cooperation. New time 24:52.31.

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 17, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm looking for ways to extend the life of this game. I've got 575 Korok seeds and they are starting to get hard to stumble across. So, does anyone want to race?

I ran from Akallah Research lab to the Gerudo Fairy fountain in 30:07:16. No fast travel or speed boost potions; only running, shield surfing, horse riding, and paragliding. Anyone care to challenge my time? It's pretty fun, though the weather can really gently caress you up. A walker lost me probably 20 seconds because it kept shooting me off a wall I was trying to climb. I probably should have killed it, but I foolishly just kept trying to climb out of its range.

Just did it in 30:06:57. Better luck next time!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Just did it in 30:06:57. Better luck next time!

MustelaFuro posted:

New time 24:52.31.

:ohdear:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Do it on foot, no horse or paraglider

edit: you also gotta be naked

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In my second playthrough, I have gained new appreciation for the monster masks. They will never not be funny.

LIZALFOS: *lizard noises*
LINK, IN A LOUD AND BOOMING VOICE: GREETINGS, FELLOW LIZARDS.
LIZALFOS: *mildly confused lizard noises*

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Whoever posted https://mrcheeze.github.io/botw-object-map/ - thank you. This is incredible.

I move that we refer to the master sword only as Weapon_Sword_070 from this point forward.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Unmature posted:

Jesus Christ I need 13 hearts for the master sword?

It really isn't that much of a burden.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It really isn't that much of a burden.

Yeah, I got the Master Sword before even fighting the second Megazord.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MustelaFuro posted:

^^^Someone else in this thread had the same silly race idea, and from the same start and finish?
Just took a new route and shattered my time. Only had some minor difficulties with a molduga and my horse's (lack of) cooperation. New time 24:52.31.

Yes I went from the Akkala research facility to the desert great fairy fountain using only a horse and sand seal in just over 23 minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grab this before Nintendo DMCA's it if it looks interesting to you. Download in description

https://youtu.be/9f0KDbJAYSs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MustelaFuro posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just did it. Akkala to Hawa Koth: ~23 minutes but that's with hoofing it to Garudo Town sans sand seal.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

All these songs are good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dy74NOzcS8

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles X songs are improved immensely by removal of the terrible lyrics. Witness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4bOYDNypc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVRnUvdmz4

Both orchestra-rock instrumentals of vocal themes. The vocal themes are cringey as gently caress. The orchestra-rock versions are :rock:

Anyway, to get back on Zelda, since that one guy was apparently pretty down on a lot of the shrines (and I'll admit, most of them were on the easy side), what was everyone's favorite shrine? Mine was the Blue Flame one, followed shortly by the one where you had to Korok-Leaf steer your floating balloon platform. Several of the electric ones were good too.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Real question is how long does it take to only jog across the map? No glider, etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What route are you guys taking to get across the map?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to whisper sprint races.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spergatory posted:

Anyway, to get back on Zelda, since that one guy was apparently pretty down on a lot of the shrines (and I'll admit, most of them were on the easy side), what was everyone's favorite shrine? Mine was the Blue Flame one, followed shortly by the one where you had to Korok-Leaf steer your floating balloon platform. Several of the electric ones were good too.

Blue Flame was good, also the Electric (at least with the various patterns) was pretty cool and one of my favorite ones. Dueling Peaks and the Constellation one were up there as well. Probably somewhere in a top 10 is the one where you use both bombs to cause stuff to switch and it felt good to execute them both at the same time.

I think ultimately I enjoyed more the actual work to get into a lot of the shrines than the shrine itself (which are usually gimme's with a chest at that point). I.e. the shadow island, eventide, seal racing, whatever.

Some of them could have been interesting like the Ice Cube one but instead there was kind of a lame loving gotcha solution. I did some crazy stuff with Stasis trying to figure it out

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 17, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xaris posted:

Blue Flame was good, also the Electric (at least with the various patterns) was pretty cool and one of my favorite ones. Dueling Peaks and the Constellation one were up there as well. Probably somewhere in a top 10 is the one where you use both bombs to cause stuff to switch and it felt good to execute them both at the same time.

I think ultimately I enjoyed more the actual work to get into a lot of the shrines than the shrine itself (which are usually gimme's with a chest at that point). I.e. the shadow island, eventide, seal racing, whatever.

Some of them could have been interesting like the Ice Cube one but instead there was kind of a lame loving gotcha solution. I did some crazy stuff with Stasis trying to figure it out

What was the gotcha for the Ice Cube? I did it by using Stasis to blast it through the fire before it melted.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zore posted:

What was the gotcha for the Ice Cube? I did it by using Stasis to blast it through the fire before it melted.

I guess maybe not gotcha, just kind of dumb once it's obvious. I was being all careful doing that and then some, but then I ended up stuck at the wall of fire going what the hell, so I kept trying to blast it up top to the sheikah guy figuring it would turn the fire off. Turned out there was just that metal cube in the lava which just makes it easy to walk under and I missed despite running around looking for something to attract/stasis for the longest time. Didn't even need to use stasis at all since you can just throw it through the wall of flames no problem.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaris posted:

I guess maybe not gotcha, just kind of dumb once it's obvious. I was being all careful doing that and then some, but then I ended up stuck at the wall of fire going what the hell, so I kept trying to blast it up top to the sheikah guy figuring it would turn the fire off. Turned out there was just that metal cube in the lava which just makes it easy to walk under and I missed despite running around looking for something to attract/stasis for the longest time. Didn't even need to use stasis at all since you can just throw it through the wall of flames no problem.

I actually thought this was one of the better puzzles. I was impressed on the whole that despite having all the tools at the start many of the shrines weren't immediately easy to solve. Granted I haven't played a Zelda since OoT, but I remember it being pretty straightforward most of the time in the old games (use the bow here, the hookshot here, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Eventide was so easy, provided that you have the spell from the gerudo guardian. I just wish there was more than just a shrine there.