Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

I can't stop laughing at this. It's almost like they are mocking Eccleston's voice.

I'm not too familiar with their non-fully voice acted ranges, but it seems to me it would have been better to do it more like a straight reading than putting on voices to quite that depth.

A friend of mine has suggested, based on Briggs redubbing the Daleks in the Day of the Daleks re-release, that they should re-release 9's season with Briggs dubbing over all of Eccleston's lines.

I think Briggs is just good enough a mimic that you get the uncanny valley-esque sense of it being not quite right when it's not supposed to be a parody. Some of the others escape that by either being better at the voices, or just bad enough that you can accept that this is how it sounds when, say, Nicola does Colin's voice, or Lisa Bowerman does Sylvester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

echoplex posted:

How good do the TARDIS's new signs look? (very good is the answer). The university office set is one of the best we've done in years, I think.

It was really packed with some great references to An Unearthly Child without winking too hard, while also looking like an actual Dean's Office if it were inhabited by a mad, traveling space wizard with a big heart. I also liked the way the campus and Bill's apartment looked. There was a ton of loving detail in the sets for this premiere that imbued it with life.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"'Ello! I'm the Doctor! Eey! What's going on 'ere?"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I did a 1-on-1 photoshoot with PC for the image of him appearing in the mirror on that photo, and I have to say, I've never worked with an actor who was as helpful/giving on a photocall, let alone one for a graphic (as opposed to a press/promo deal)

I'll miss him ever so much.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 17, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

echoplex posted:

I'll miss him ever so much.

Yep, so sad this is his last year. I had hoped he would be around for years.

As always your work looks fantastic on the show, can't wait to see what you did with the next season of Red Dwarf too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

echoplex posted:

This isn't really a shocking fact, or anything, though, is it. You also made out that us all being unemployed at the end of S9 was a definite sign of the end of DW, and not just what always happens when a series wraps.

I don't think it's shocking at all. And my understanding at the end of Series Nine was that you were taking an extended hiatus and people had been told so, not that the show was over.

The new signage on the Tardis is amazing, and long overdue and you are 100% right about the office set. It's one of the best the show has had, and the detail on the Windows etc is amazing. Kudos.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 17, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

adhuin posted:

Eurovision should start at around 8 pm UTC, so Who might get bumped.

From what I've read, there is no Eurovision preemption. Straight on until 1 July.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if the water that took Heather is anything like the Flood from The Waters of Mars.

Hm...unlikely, but with what's in store, not out of the realm of possibility.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Completely different kind of thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think in terms of what they look and sound like, the visual horror aspect, they were pretty similar, but that it was a completely different thing. I wasn't super impressed with the puddle monster, although I liked the idea of it acquiring a pilot and seeking a passenger as a metaphor for an overwhelming crush. The "your reflection isn't reversed" thing was fine. Overall, I think the writing was kind of middle-of-the-road for a Moffat opener, now that I think about it, and that it the sets, costumes and Pearl Mackie's performance are what made it a good episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Class was also a thing. I give it two series before getting canned.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So Class was also a thing. I give it two series before getting canned.

One series was more than enough thankyouverymuch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

One series was more than enough thankyouverymuch.

I didn't realize it aired all the way through across the pond.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Just got around to watching the new episode. I liked it.

I don't really have more to say, honestly. It looked great, it made sense, it didn't have any of the Moffat crutches which had really started to bug me. Capaldi, Mackie, and Lucas were great fun to watch as were the extras. The visit to the Daleks didn't even feel particularly forced either - they just go there and then use that setpiece for it's own thing. The Movellan, River, and Susan cameos were nice and understated. That series trailer has me hyped a bit. I hope Bill and Nardole outlast 12 for a series or two.

The episode was quite calmly paced but I found it a bit hard to see stuff in the shots in the dark. Not sure if that's because I was watching it on my parent's old CRT - I'll have to watch again when I go home. Still, at least my ageing Mum liked it and was able to follow along with no problems. :unsmith: Hopefully Moffat doesn't go too caught up in his grand ideas again...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I enjoyed the cup on the Doctors desk filled with all his various sonics throughout the years. loving sweet call backs, but where was Eights sonic? I thought Moff liked Big Finish.

Was the Season 2 opener of Class any good? Does it pick up where the finale left off? Did we get more Weeping Angels? Basically give me some reason to watch it, please.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Eight's TV Movie/Night of the Doctor sonic was there. I think there's only one copy of the Big Finish sonic and I don't think the BBC have the rights to it (I think the model-maker owns the design).

Also, there hasn't been a second series of Class yet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

Oh for some reason I thought it started on the same night as Series 10.

cargohills posted:

Eight's TV Movie/Night of the Doctor sonic was there. I think there's only one copy of the Big Finish sonic and I don't think the BBC have the rights to it (I think the model-maker owns the design).

Ah well. Now that I think about it, it didn't have War Doctors sonic in there either. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Ah well. Now that I think about it, it didn't have War Doctors sonic in there either. :(

It actually did! It just wasn't visible from the first shot we see of the cup; it's tucked behind and you can only see it from the reverse angle

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eight popped into the office to borrow it again for the exciting 8th Doctor Adventures tv series set to air between new seasons of Doctor Who, DUH!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Eight popped into the office to borrow it again for the exciting 8th Doctor Adventures tv series set to air between new seasons of Doctor Who, DUH!

He just doesn't remember doing it, nor does he probably remember the companion he was traveling with at the time, and later Six picked it up, but he doesn't remember doing it either.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

If we can't have Peter Capaldi anymore, I hope the next regeneration is the Valeyard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Onomarchus posted:

If we can't have Peter Capaldi anymore, I hope the next regeneration is the Valeyard.

I also would be pleased to see the return of Toby Jones!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AndyElusive posted:

Oh for some reason I thought it started on the same night as Series 10.

Wasn't the War Doctor's screwdriver the one Nardole used for his diversion? I don't remember War's very well but I remembered it being red and having the same-ish shape.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Wasn't the War Doctor's screwdriver the one Nardole used for his diversion? I don't remember War's very well but I remembered it being red and having the same-ish shape.

Same screwdriver body, but War Doctor pulls down on it to reveal the emitter instead of it sticking out the top all the time. Also the emitter glows red.

jivjov posted:

It actually did! It just wasn't visible from the first shot we see of the cup; it's tucked behind and you can only see it from the reverse angle

Oh there is is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cleretic posted:

War's Sonic was a lightly-modified Four's Sonic.

Fitting, given they were somewhere in Four's era, what with the Movellens and Daleks at war with one another.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 18, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

It is weird everyone started talking about it again.

I didn't mind it, but it was no Doctor Who.

Still better than that K9 tv show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Class started airing on BBC America the same day as the new season. So people got to see both together.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

cargohills posted:

From memory that was a late-ish request and there was a lot of panick'd ebaying / phoning collectors. I think we hired some guy's personal set.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

From memory that was a late-ish request and there was a lot of panick'd ebaying / phoning collectors. I think we hired some guy's personal set.

Terrance Dicks: I'm so glad production on Doctor Who hasn't changed since my day :allears:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Terrance Dicks: I'm so glad production on Doctor Who hasn't changed since my day :allears:

The S9 opener was similarly painful - we were pulling in Daleks from every corner of the country, from other BBC studios, exhibits, private owners etc. There was a dedicated budget line for Dalek transport. I got a few friends' replica Daleks shipped over but sadly none were used. DW has motion picture problems on TV deadlines.

I don't think anyone noticed but there actually a few miniature / model shots in that episode that used repainted/re-detailed off-the-shelf radio control Dalek toys. Of course these were out of production at the time of the episode so our poor buyers were urgently phoning up people selling them on ebay, saying "Yes, please send them to Doctor Who, BBC Wales...".

echoplex fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 18, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

Surprised someone didn't just run to the DW Experience shop.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

echoplex posted:

It was Capaldi's wasn't it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Surprised someone didn't just run to the DW Experience shop.

BBC: We can't afford that!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

BBC: We can't afford that!

True, that place is super pricey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, Skeletor has called a general election for June 8th. I thought she looked tired.

This is where Saxon comes in, right?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, Skeletor has called a general election for June 8th. I thought she looked tired.

This is where Saxon comes in, right?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

True, that place is super pricey.

Did anyone go to the S9 exhibit? They had a bit of Trap Street there with signage from Midsummer's Night Dream still attached to it because I used stupidly strong tape that tears the plaster off if you remove it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

At this point I'd welcome an insane alien who plans to enslave us with the help of our paradoxical future selves. At least that'd make sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Happy Birthday David Tennant. In celebration, as is tradition, give more money to Big Finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Happy Birthday David Tennant. In celebration, as is tradition, give more money to Big Finish.

Joke's on them, I already have all of that that I'd want.

I'm sure they'll have a different excuse to suck more money from me after the new episode on the weekend ._,

• Locked thread