Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

The general european view of Brazilians is, politely, "easily riled up" - see the BBC Top Gear team under legitimate attack because someone misread a number plate.
Massa of course assuaged this image by threatening violence, for a joke about Brazilians getting violent.

They were Argentinians and that was more to do with the Falklands. At the time, political rhetoric in Argentina was pretty punchy about reclaiming the Falklands too IIRC as the President tried to deflect from the fact that she was corrupt as gently caress and a bit of unwarranted nationalism serves that purpose wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

The general european view of Brazilians is, politely, "easily riled up" - see the BBC Top Gear team under legitimate attack because someone misread a number plate.
Massa of course assuaged this image by threatening violence, for a joke about Brazilians getting violent.

It was Argentinians....

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there a shitload of oil in the Falklands or something? I genuinely don't get why both sides care so much for some lovely rock in the ocean.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there a shitload of oil in the Falklands or something? I genuinely don't get why both sides care so much for some lovely rock in the ocean.

Totally uninformed opinion:

They don't. Argentinian junta invaded the islands to remove attention from domestic problems, and then didn't properly defend them. They also didn't anticipate the UK actually going to war. But they did and they won, and Thatcher became more popular because of it.

So now you have a bunch of pretty worthless islands, but they're still a pretty convenient 'hey look over there' to attract attention away from other things. From the UK side, they're populated by like 99% fully committed UK citizens, so there's no way in hell they're letting go. The only claim Argentina seems to have is that they're a lot closer to them than to the UK.

And again, the little I do know is from watching a YT vid some days ago.

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 17, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khablam posted:

That was in Argentina and the assholes were travelling with a Falklands license plate.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

It was Argentinians....

Wump!
Yeah, it was.
Still, the general image remains that though. It isn't particularly justified.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DoctorGonzo posted:

That was in Argentina and the assholes were travelling with a Falklands license plate.

The plate was "H982FKL" and had been on that car since 1991.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uXs posted:

Jeremy Clarkson deserves to be punched.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

uXs posted:

That's a poo poo argument. It's like soft punching a cat on the nose then getting pissed when it scratches at you.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

1500quidporsche posted:

The people who live there are British and wish to remain so, therefore we shall defend those lovely rocks to the last man :britain:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Reutemann's decision to quit Williams was rumored to be somewhat influenced by the Falklands dispute.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I like the version of events that has Jeremy, in 1991, go from garage to garage looking for an offensive numberplate (it's not custom) so it will pay off 25 years later in a situation he couldn't have envisaged.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

uXs posted:

That's a very good way to get someone to take a bat to your windshield.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Reutemann's decision to quit Williams was rumored to be somewhat influenced by the Falklands dispute.

The timing was about right for that. Didn't he do one race in '82 then call it quits?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The timing was about right for that. Didn't he do one race in '82 then call it quits?

2 rounds.He came second in South Africa then quit after retiring in Brazil. The reason for his leaving has never been fully explained. Also he later became a Peronist politician so maybe it was.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Hmh. Well, whatever. I'm probably naive but I like giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. Also terribly off-topic so this will be my last reply about this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

I like the version of events that has Jeremy, in 1991, go from garage to garage looking for an offensive numberplate (it's not custom) so it will pay off 25 years later in a situation he couldn't have envisaged.

Lmao, what? Why did he have to find the car in 1991, why couldn't he have just found it whenever they were producing the special and thought it was funny? It's the exact kind of thing they did over and over again for like 15 years.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im happy that Scuderia Ferrari tm won the 2017 FORMULA 1 tm GULF AIR tm BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

I just saw what Max said.... He's gonna get loving lynched in Brazil.

Good thing he didn't say something similar about Lewis although that would just mean he'd be treated like a living God in the US Grand Prix.

why would they treat him like a god at the US Grand Prix? its not like they're racing at Texas Motor Speedway

a lot of people seem to like Lewis, at least those that turn up at CoTA or are in Austin for the weekend.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

Lmao, what? Why did he have to find the car in 1991, why couldn't he have just found it whenever they were producing the special and thought it was funny? It's the exact kind of thing they did over and over again for like 15 years.

He's personally owned the car since 1991, afaik, or at least the 90's.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Khablam posted:

Uh no they bought it for the production

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bottas, what the gently caress? I had to interpret the race based on reading the last 60 pages here on Monday morning, and watching the highlights... but it seemed like he was in great shape, especially with the Hamilton penalty, and then he just gave up?

Khablam posted:

I think they were in at least as much, if not more danger from the inbred hilbilly crew who came after them in the backwoods USA episode, and you just know some sheriff had pre-filled out "hunting accident" incident reports ready to go.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

You got proof to back that up? I mean, it's pretty obvious that they ran the plate as a joke and then when the resulting violence occurred they acted as if it wasn't and was a total oversight, but drat that is the longest waiting game for a backfired joke if true.

I remember he had a big soft spot for the 928 that resonated with me. I spend stupid money on my old wanker of a V8 GT.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I legit didn't know that Brazilians had a stereotype in Europe.
They don't (except for the carnival thing?). He's talking out of his rear end.
Having said that, I don't feel it should be such a big deal, and the loving drama generated over this is tiresome.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh i wished they had killed jeremy clarkson and also the other 2 retards

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Theophany posted:

You got proof to back that up? I mean, it's pretty obvious that they ran the plate as a joke and then when the resulting violence occurred they acted as if it wasn't and was a total oversight, but drat that is the longest waiting game for a backfired joke if true.

I remember he had a big soft spot for the 928 that resonated with me. I spend stupid money on my old wanker of a V8 GT.

The article I read said the vehicle was purchased for the special, and that the original owner meant it as a reference to the falklands. Either way we should go back to talking about F1 and not UK-Argentina politics.
I still think that crash was Sainz's fault.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CratSock posted:

Bottas, what the gently caress? I had to interpret the race based on reading the last 60 pages here on Monday morning, and watching the highlights... but it seemed like he was in great shape, especially with the Hamilton penalty, and then he just gave up?

I think they were in at least as much, if not more danger from the inbred hilbilly crew who came after them in the backwoods USA episode, and you just know some sheriff had pre-filled out "hunting accident" incident reports ready to go.

Bottas did everything perfectly and didn't make a single mistake. Him and hamilton were stacked in the pits with hamilton as the second car coming to harm by it. And still, with 10 laps to go, after serving a 5 second penalty, Hamilton caught him on softs, and they instructed Bottas to let Hamilton by because he was the only one of the two with a shot of catching Vettel.

He just slow.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Bottas was also pitted much earlier so when Lewis made his 2nd stop Bottas' tires were already old and slow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

Bottas was also pitted much earlier so when Lewis made his 2nd stop Bottas' tires were already old and slow.

See, they even gave Bottas the undercut on are 'am.

Still slow

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bottas will win two races this year and then go back to Williams to finish off his career of mediocrity.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm at work and just met a man named Nico Maldonado :tinfoil:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

NtotheTC posted:

What does "he's Brazilian so there's not much to discuss" even mean? Brake failure my rear end that was a warning

Have you ever played a Brazilian in a online racing game? They all think they're senna with lovely Internet connections.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Bottas will win two races this year and then go back to Williams to finish off his career of mediocrity.

I could see him as a career upper midfielder. He's a good driver, just not good enough for a top line seat.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basticle posted:

Which sexual act did he ask for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

Very precise contact to ruin the races of other drivers. And rehearsed in a simulator.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said it before, Euro football fans have traditionally called Brazil cheats. Pele specifically. It's founded on jealously and knowing that it really winds the Brazilians up.

The Australian Umpires being biased against the England team is founded on reality though.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

learnincurve posted:

I said it before, Euro football fans have traditionally called Brazil cheats. Pele specifically. It's founded on jealously and knowing that it really winds the Brazilians up.

yeah... this is not true I'm afraid. Also, different countries in Europe have wildly different stereotypes for other countries/people.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Apologies if someone posted this. I'd like to see Alonso in the booth someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPUeiF2EIY

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad who is old and does not give a gently caress, and is a really good resource for all xenophobic slurs, calls Brazillian's "cheating swines".
I asked him why after posting before and he started grumbling and swearing about something that happened in a World Cup in the 1950s. I get the impression that they turned up with style and flair while the British team were still hoofing it up the pitch so clearly they were employing some sort of forrin witchcraft or cheating to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

dentist toy box posted:

Have you ever played a Brazilian in a online racing game? They all think they're senna with lovely Internet connections.

This. A thousand times this.

My regular series in iRacing has 3 of these. To make it even better they scream at each other in Portuguese non stop.

Speaking of Kamel GT. This video about the Audi 90 is really good.

https://youtu.be/YA55FBYKvas

• Locked thread