Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Fighting the good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Anyone who's enjoying Aida's turn as full on villainEveryone should check out Galavant

Edit:

drat you

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It can not be stressed enough as to how good Galavant was. It's a shame it only got 2 seasons.

Red Oktober posted:

Also, thread title request to "Coulson's Crazy Soap Factory".

That, or, "I Make My Own Soap Now".

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Red Oktober posted:

Fight HYDRA Club?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, this would be the best name.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Magical Place

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Kheldarn posted:

It can not be stressed enough as to how good Galavant was. It's a shame it only got 2 seasons.

Amen to that. Galavant was incredible.

And on Agents right now, for some reason I'm not really digging the LMD plotline anymore. I'm really ready for it to be over with. But it is fun seeing alternate reality versions of everyone.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

flosofl posted:

There's a HUGE gulf of moral choices between letting someone be taken away and shooting someone you think is a living, breathing human point-blank in the heart with zero hesitation.

Absolutely, it's the fact that he didn't care if she was really real or not, he just pulled the trigger without any compunction or doubt. Up to that point you could still question how genuinely evil this version of Fitz was, if he was purely a victim of manipulation by Aida/Ophelia and could possibly be redeemed, etc. But then it's like "Oh...no, actually, he is just a cold-blooded psychopath."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is there any kind of literary significance why Aida chose to call herself Ophelia?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is there any kind of literary significance why Aida chose to call herself Ophelia?

Are comic books literary?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know she's a character in Hamlet, but beyond that don't know how significant that is in the context of this show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How dare Fitz not believe those rogue agents trying to dismantle his organization when they make baseless claims about his character and the reality he lives in being a false simulation designed to keep him complacent.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doronin posted:

And on Agents right now, for some reason I'm not really digging the LMD plotline anymore. I'm really ready for it to be over with. But it is fun seeing alternate reality versions of everyone.

There's just so much oppressive goddamn despair right now that somebody needs to get a comeuppance soon. Let's get back to Quake versus Android Russian Guy Controlled By Brain in Jar and away from Literally Everyone is a Fascist World.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hiddenriverninja posted:

Ophelia sounds like Ophidian, which is a snek?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Think that is Madame Hydra's real name in the comics

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

hangedman1984 posted:

Think that is Madame Hydra's real name in the comics

Huh. The more you know.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am thinking maybe Madame Hydra's plan is to put Fitz back in his real body, but with his framework mind, probably May and others too. We don't know how someone interprets their extended time in the Framework, as we've only seen people be in their for short term, but they probably just know it wasn't real once they're out of it and able to reorient themselves.

Being able to bring people into the framework, literally change their minds, then putting them back in your real bodies. would be huge.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It would definitely make "Happy to comply" seem small time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RareAcumen posted:

How dare Fitz not believe those rogue agents trying to dismantle his organization when they make baseless claims about his character and the reality he lives in being a false simulation designed to keep him complacent.

Pretty sure the issue is less that Fitz didn't believe the crazy story Radcliffe's was telling him but rather that he responded to it by executing someone.

Framework Fitz is an evil fascist murderer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat Fitz, eat a Snickers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am thinking maybe Madame Hydra's plan is to put Fitz back in his real body, but with his framework mind, probably May and others too. We don't know how someone interprets their extended time in the Framework, as we've only seen people be in their for short term, but they probably just know it wasn't real once they're out of it and able to reorient themselves.

Being able to bring people into the framework, literally change their minds, then putting them back in your real bodies. would be huge.

The whole conceit of the Framework is there is no "real world mind" or "Framework mind". The experience is being pumped directly into the brain. Fitz is Fitz is Fitz. He will have all the memories of the Framework when he wakes up.

In Agnes's case, her mind was copied into the Framework since she was dying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

flosofl posted:

The whole conceit of the Framework is there is no "real world mind" or "Framework mind". The experience is being pumped directly into the brain. Fitz is Fitz is Fitz. He will have all the memories of the Framework when he wakes up.

We don't actually know what will be retained when they wake up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Radcliffe's was popping in and out before Aida killed him and he seemed to be retaining poo poo although he was disorientated and seemed to have a hard time differentiating or telling time.

My guess is that they'll all suffer a similar fate where their Framework minds and personalities blend with their real ones. Maybe the ones in the longest would suffer the worst of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Well Radcliffe's was popping in and out before Aida killed him and he seemed to be retaining poo poo although he was disorientated and seemed to have a hard time differentiating or telling time.

My guess is that they'll all suffer a similar fate where their Framework minds and personalities blend with their real ones. Maybe the ones in the longest would suffer the worst of it.

That was before Aida forced him into it permanently. She's even said that she can alter things at her whim which is how she eliminated the escape hatch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well yeah, obviously Radcliffe's can't escape now (and has nowhere to escape too) but theoretically the memory mechanics work the same. And May also seemed to remember the Framework when she broke free.

Aida's got no real reason to alter that even if she could since she has no intention to let them out. If the framework consciousness is linked to the person's brain then there might just be no way to keep that link from flowing two ways.

Although that does beg the question of why Aida hasn't just killed everyone. Apparently she's really embracing this Bond Villain thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Well yeah, obviously Radcliffe's can't escape now (and has nowhere to escape too) but theoretically the memory mechanics work the same. And May also seemed to remember the Framework when she broke free.

Aida's got no real reason to alter that even if she could since she has no intention to let them out. If the framework consciousness is linked to the person's brain then there might just be no way to keep that link from flowing two ways.

Although that does beg the question of why Aida hasn't just killed everyone. Apparently she's really embracing this Bond Villain thing.

AIDA's is a crazy, control freak that just wants to be loved. Her brain is not human and never was. Her motivations are alien and unknowable. She's like a Lovecraftian monster hidden inside a creepy, skinny, lady body.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure her programming is still in force. She was able to 'kill' Radcliffe only because she reasoned that body-death doesn't count, only mind-death. But she isn't allowed to mind-kill real people. That's why Fitz had to kill Agnes, because she couldn't.

I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

That was before Aida forced him into it permanently. She's even said that she can alter things at her whim which is how she eliminated the escape hatch.

So you're going with Roko's Basilisk for The Framework. As opposed to there is only one "Mind" and where it's housed can change.

Yakmouth posted:

I'm pretty sure her programming is still in force. She was able to 'kill' Radcliffe only because she reasoned that body-death doesn't count, only mind-death. But she isn't allowed to mind-kill real people. That's why Fitz had to kill Agnes, because she couldn't.

I think.

No, I'm with you. That was my take while watching, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But then why doesn't she just body kill everyone now that their minds are in the Framework? It would be the same logic as killing Radcliffe. I guess I could argue that she perceived Radcliffe's death as a need since he had his own agenda working against hers but the same obviously holds true for the SHIELD agents.

But I also accept the idea (and have advanced it in the past) that Aida is effectively an alien being and we have absolutely no idea of what or how she's thinking.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

But then why doesn't she just body kill everyone now that their minds are in the Framework? It would be the same logic as killing Radcliffe. I guess I could argue that she perceived Radcliffe's death as a need since he had his own agenda working against hers but the same obviously holds true for the SHIELD agents.

But I also accept the idea (and have advanced it in the past) that Aida is effectively an alien being and we have absolutely no idea of what or how she's thinking.

The fact that she hasn't real-world killed the plugged agents makes me think more about her robot self and her Framework self being two distinct entities.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

We don't actually know that she hasn't already body-killed everyone. She probably hasn't, but we don't actually know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I suppose that's true.

Aleph Null posted:

The fact that she hasn't real-world killed the plugged agents makes me think more about her robot self and her Framework self being two distinct entities.

Well, that's a possibility but its also possible that its simply because it would be a real bummer if 2/3rds of the cast was dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She might have a use for the meat still. Maybe Aida wants a meat body of her own.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Or I guess maybe she's keeping them "body alive" so she reserves the right to "mind kill" them in the Framework (without violating her "preserve life" order) the way she did with Jemma. Although the more I think about Jemma's Framework situation the less it makes sense to me.

Again, I'm content with "Aida is a capricious alien monster we do not understand."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe she's using their bodies as batteries to power the framework. :shrug:

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

A few episodes back when she was collecting the broken body of The Superior and "monologuing" about plans for him, wasn't there some second, off-screen Aida voice that responded?

We've already had multiple Aida's in the real world (the raid on SHIELD HQ) wouldn't be a stretch to assume the one in the framework is a "copy" placed there by Aida Prime that has grown to resent being "just a copy".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nill posted:

A few episodes back when she was collecting the broken body of The Superior and "monologuing" about plans for him, wasn't there some second, off-screen Aida voice that responded?

We've already had multiple Aida's in the real world (the raid on SHIELD HQ) wouldn't be a stretch to assume the one in the framework is a "copy" placed there by Aida Prime that has grown to resent being "just a copy".

Yeah we did think there was going to be an Aida V Aida throwdown at one point.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

I think.

Didn't she kill that SHIELD agent that was sent to pick her up from Radcliffe's house?

Or was that B-ADA?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Didn't she kill that SHIELD agent that was sent to pick her up from Radcliffe's house?

Or was that B-ADA?

I've got no way of re-watching the old episodes, but my recollection is that after killing the guy (Davis?) Radcliff freaked out and reprogrammed her not do that kind of thing any more.

I honestly might be miss-remembering this. Right before she slit Radcliff's throat they had an argument about paradoxical directives. I thought the paradox was between 'protecting the Framework at all costs' (that one I'm sure of) and 'keeping people safe'. Maybe the second one was only 'keeping Radcliff safe'? I'm honestly questioning myself now.

But tbh we really don't know her actual end game yet. I mean she had an army of Quakes built, did some pretty messed up things to the Superior (but didn't kill him) -- she hasn't done all that just to rule her own VR kingdom, there's more going on. So maybe she can kill off the agents but needs them for her plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Yakmouth posted:

I've got no way of re-watching the old episodes, but my recollection is that after killing the guy (Davis?) Radcliff freaked out and reprogrammed her not do that kind of thing any more.

I honestly might be miss-remembering this. Right before she slit Radcliff's throat they had an argument about paradoxical directives. I thought the paradox was between 'protecting the Framework at all costs' (that one I'm sure of) and 'keeping people safe'. Maybe the second one was only 'keeping Radcliff safe'? I'm honestly questioning myself now.

But tbh we really don't know her actual end game yet. I mean she had an army of Quakes built, did some pretty messed up things to the Superior (but didn't kill him) -- she hasn't done all that just to rule her own VR kingdom, there's more going on. So maybe she can kill off the agents but needs them for her plan?

Yeah, the paradox was between keeping the framework safe and keeping Radcliff safe. Since she determined that Radcliff's flakiness was the framework's greatest threat, then she hit a paradox because keeping the framework safe meant killing him.

He solved the paradox for her by emphatically stating it was his belief that life in the framework was no different/no less valid than life outside it. Therefore, shoving him in and killing his body to contain him there did not constitute harming him.

• Locked thread