Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lakbay posted:

There seems to be a forced non-rank up event between 8, 9, or 10 for every confidant because even with exploiting Chihaya's buffs I always had to do that scene

Yeah, it seems like some stuff requires you to do some non-rankup scenes. The system isn't very responsive on that front, which is a bit lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

They do not all have weaknesses.

Fair enough, I'm only through the fourth palace so they've all had a weakness so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Guns really do feel like such a waste, but also I haven't gotten to Tower yet. I do love the hell out of them style wise. Like recently I accidentatly had Yusuke shoot instead of Mabufu and I couldn't go back so it just became "gently caress man, just DUMP" as Yusuke sits there just unloading a clip into a snake woman

I mean you iced her either way :haw:

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I found that dumping a clip into a boss early/mid game was more damage then using whatever was the strongest spell to me at the time. You would have to be keeping your guns updated though

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Moltrey posted:

Guns really do feel like such a waste, but also I haven't gotten to Tower yet. I do love the hell out of them style wise. Like recently I accidentatly had Yusuke shoot instead of Mabufu and I couldn't go back so it just became "gently caress man, just DUMP" as Yusuke sits there just unloading a clip into a snake woman

yeah, unfortunately guns don't really do a whole lot unless your name is Joker or Noir. But if you get those gun damage skills, boy do they hit like a truck.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also ya'll talkin about how SJ had terrible maps should stay away from Apocolypse because the last dungeon there was like 10x worse than anything SJ could throw at you.

:whitewater:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Equipment overall has been pretty unimportant outside of armor and accessories.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also ya'll talkin about how SJ had terrible maps should stay away from Apocolypse because the last dungeon there was like 10x worse than anything SJ could throw at you.

Apocalypse had an abysmal final dungeon and it was far and away the worst part of it, jesus. I'm still pissed about it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hunt11 posted:

What's the point in that as there are achievements you can only get in new game +?

To read all the books/play all the video games. Etc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lakbay posted:

There seems to be a forced non-rank up event between 8, 9, or 10 for every confidant because even with exploiting Chihaya's buffs I always had to do that scene

I'm not hundred percent certain but it might depend on the confidant. There are some, like Haru, who you can 100% go 7 8 9 10 in successive visits if you have the matching arcana and proper responses. I matched and answered properly for Iwai and needed two "get closer soon" visits to get 9 - 10 though.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish you were stuck with dating one girl, or at least stuck with dating one party member (and could go all harem with the adults or whatever) because at least you could add a couple touches here and there based on it. Like having your GF sit next to you at the hideout, or an extra line after a scene, nothing even drastic, but it'd at least personalize the play through a bit more. I unno.

This is my train of thought. I know people love their waifus and choice is wonderful, but I'd rather have 3 romantic s.links that play into the game properly and integrate than "MC and GIRLFRIEND spent an evening together and then never spoke to each other again for the rest of the year".

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish you were stuck with dating one girl, or at least stuck with dating one party member (and could go all harem with the adults or whatever) because at least you could add a couple touches here and there based on it. Like having your GF sit next to you at the hideout, or an extra line after a scene, nothing even drastic, but it'd at least personalize the play through a bit more. I unno.

I may just be crazy and misremembering, but I do feel like I remember a scene where the crew are talking about marriage for some reason, and Makoto went "Oh, really...?" after I said "Hell yeah I wanna get married someday"

Not sure if that actually had anything to do with dating her at the time, I assume it does, but it was cute. :3: More stuff like that should be in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Early on, melee weapons are important to save on SP.

Later though, once you have SP regen, you can usually find a good stat stick and ignore it for the rest of the game. Maybe keep Ryuji/MC/Yusuke up to date if you don't want to bother with skills for random battles.

Also, super important to get guns with good accuracy for most of the game since ammo is your most limited resource and you're only really using them to down enemies. Missing with one of Ryuji or Haru's shots hurts.

TheFireMagi posted:

I may just be crazy and misremembering, but I do feel like I remember a scene where the crew are talking about marriage for some reason, and Makoto went "Oh, really...?" after I said "Hell yeah I wanna get married someday"

Not sure if that actually had anything to do with dating her at the time, I assume it does, but it was cute. :3: More stuff like that should be in the game.

Nah, that happened near endgame and it was adorable.

Was also dating Makoto so no idea if its agnostic or dependent on that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Equipment overall has been pretty unimportant outside of armor and accessories.

Apocalypse had an abysmal final dungeon and it was far and away the worst part of it, jesus. I'm still pissed about it.

It was so bad and the music was so awful I wanted to cry the whole time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hazdoc posted:

yeah, unfortunately guns don't really do a whole lot unless your name is Joker or Noir. But if you get those gun damage skills, boy do they hit like a truck.
I felt Ryuji's shotguns actually did a pretty good damage back when I used him for like dungeon 1 and 2, but yeah mightygerm said I imagine you need to be upgrading guns a lot

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sir can you please not post your electrical engineering homework in this thread

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheFireMagi posted:

That was one of the ending scenes, I think? I really wanna know if anything changes if you're not dating Makoto there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's the team study session just after Shido confesses. Got that scene just before I finished playing for the day.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I wish it didn't make it so hard to refill your ammo during palaces, I would love to switch to using guns mostly lategame. It's much more satisfying unloading a whole clip into an enemy versus using a skill or melee attack. Only grenade launchers felt like they had more of a punch versus your normal melee weapons.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ChaosArgate posted:

That was one of the ending scenes, I think? I really wanna know if anything changes if you're not dating Makoto there.

I was dating Sakura, and she acted extremely embarrassed there when I responded that I wanted to get married in the future. So it does change.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Ephraim posted:

I wish it didn't make it so hard to refill your ammo during palaces, I would love to switch to using guns mostly lategame. It's much more satisfying unloading a whole clip into an enemy versus using a skill or melee attack. Only grenade launchers felt like they had more of a punch versus your normal melee weapons.

One of the best perks of Tower is the random chance for every battle to start with the party unloading into the enemy group. Its hilarious and feels great.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

It's really annoying that they delayed Haru's link for so long.

How much do I need to fish to catch the legendary fish for the trophy?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
More specific relationship scenes would own. I actually felt like Golden had good New Years/Valentine's Day scenes with your girlfriend so I hope P5's are good too. Like for Rise's Valentine's Day, you just sit at the beach together and she talks about how she wants to a house with a big dog and a big yard and it's cute :3:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Zore posted:

One of the best perks of Tower is the random chance for every battle to start with the party unloading into the enemy group. Its hilarious and feels great.

Bullet Hail both feels great and does an absurd amount of damage. 50% damage for free? Sure, I'll take it!

The knock down ability, on the other hand, was a disappointment because it doesn't work on bosses (or if it does, I always missed). I just want to stylishly end my boss fights with an All-Out Attack, game! :argh:

Hazdoc posted:

I was dating Sakura, and she acted extremely embarrassed there when I responded that I wanted to get married in the future. So it does change.

That's good to hear. Then yeah, in that case, there definitely should be more scenes like that in the game in general. Even small acknowledgments of relationships like that feel really nice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

More specific relationship scenes would own. I actually felt like Golden had good New Years/Valentine's Day scenes with your girlfriend so I hope P5's are good too. Like for Rise's Valentine's Day, you just sit at the beach together and she talks about how she wants to a house with a big dog and a big yard and it's cute :3:

P5's are very good.

Well, Makoto's are but I'm assuming the rest are as well.

TheFireMagi posted:

Bullet Hail both feels great and does an absurd amount of damage. 50% damage for free? Sure, I'll take it!

The knock down ability, on the other hand, was a disappointment because it doesn't work on bosses (or if it does, I always missed). I just want to stylishly end my boss fights with an All-Out Attack, game! :argh:

Its free personas though and combos hilariously with the Sun capstone of 'persuade any level of persona to join you'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah it'd be nice if, idk, you were dating ann during the beach scene there could be a dialogue option to go 'stop gawking at my girlfriend ryuji, cripes' or whatever. or yeah, even just having her sit next to you at the hideout. maybe even changing some of their in-battle lines? iirc golden had a couple rise lines that'd only trigger if you were dating her.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

slev posted:

It's really annoying that they delayed Haru's link for so long.

How much do I need to fish to catch the legendary fish for the trophy?

You need to catch 6 and then it can appear on your final cast of the session with a top class bait. Have fun re-doing that dull bullshit if you fail to reel it in.

It doesn't always appear either...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're dating all your teammates they each have a response in that scene

Was super disappointed they didn't have an exclamation point over their heads afterwards and realize something was extremely fishy

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Hazdoc posted:

I was dating Ann, said I wasn't thinking of marriage, and got a, "really?" or something along those lines, so double-confirming that it changes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might just spend my time in the last palace grinding up a bunch of money, cause I wanna be flush with cash for NG+. Would make Strength immediately clearable.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Zore posted:

Its free personas though and combos hilariously with the Sun capstone of 'persuade any level of persona to join you'

I... may have forgotten about that ability in my own playthrough. :v:

Look, I was really distracted by being able to fuse higher level Personas, okay! Trumpeter! Alice! Yoshitsune!

E:

Dragonatrix posted:

It doesn't work on bosses, because bosses are immune to being Downed. It's functionally an ailment or whatever, and all main bosses are immune to all ailments. Anything that would Down a boss doesn't work, hence why they can't be critted either.

Ah, is that how it works? I suppose that makes sense. Still disappointing though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheFireMagi posted:

It doesn't work on bosses, because bosses are immune to being Downed. It's functionally an ailment or whatever, and all main bosses are immune to all ailments. Anything that would Down a boss doesn't work, hence why they can't be critted either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lakbay posted:

Was super disappointed they didn't have an exclamation point over their heads afterwards and realize something was extremely fishy

That was gonna be my next question. Now I'm a little disappointed there's nothing extra there if there's more than one response. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dragonatrix posted:

This is a bit of a shame, cause bosses end up becoming a war of attrition/traditional HP tanks compared to the more dynamic and fun normal battles. What you do in normal battles doesn't really apply to bosses.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm amazed at all these people saying they managed to max almost everyone and get 5s in their first playthrough cause I'm almost done and got nowhere near that goal. I might be horribly inefficient, though.

I should be on track to cap all my confidents before the end of the game and I didn't use any kind of schedule, only looking up proper answers for the actual confident events. It'll be close but I wasn't anywhere near optimal (on account of hitting the charm 5 lock at Priestess 5 and deciding I needed max charm right the gently caress away). If I had to do it all over again I would have started Fortune way earlier but that's about it.

The key for completing everything in a single run is really just to get Temperance and Fortune ASAP, then something like Sun and Star's boosts to give you enough money to take advantage of Temperance/Fortune at every opportunity. The earlier you get both of those the more free days for raising confidants you will get in the long run - frankly, it'd probably be way more days saved then the more traditionally obvious method of clearing whole palaces in a single day. I'm not about to replay a 90 hour game to prove it but I'm pretty certain you could spend ~3 days on each Palace and still cap everything, as long as Temperance and Fortune were maxed before anything else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

It does indeed reflect your choice of girlfriend, because for me it was Ann going "Oh, I see..."

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

That was gonna be my next question. Now I'm a little disappointed there's nothing extra there if there's more than one response. :(

Someone said it before but I too hope the rerelease has a bonus joke dungeon that unlocks if you romance everyone and you have to steal Joker's heart for being a cheater

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

me, around palace 3: i don't think i'll have money problems for the rest of the game
me, after finishing strength: WHY AM I ALWAYS SO POOR

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lakbay posted:

And if you're dating people not in the study group, they randomly drop in to say their piece.

(Not really, but it'd be hilarious)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Artelier posted:

me, around palace 3: i don't think i'll have money problems for the rest of the game
me, after finishing strength: WHY AM I ALWAYS SO POOR

That reminds me, is there a fusion chart in the game at all? I have no idea how you're supposed to do some of those requests without using a guide or lots of trial and error.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TheFireMagi posted:

That's good to hear. Then yeah, in that case, there definitely should be more scenes like that in the game in general. Even small acknowledgments of relationships like that feel really nice.

It's been mentioned before, but there's a scene where you go out fishing with Ryuji and you end up running into Kawakami. At this point, I was very well aware of Kawakami's side business (Maybe around Rank 5 or 6) and I had the option to tell Ryuji to call her "Master" Kawakami, which gave me bonus points for each of their S.Links and sideways glance (or maybe a glare?) from Kawakami - she definitely reacted accordingly.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me, is there a fusion chart in the game at all? I have no idea how you're supposed to do some of those requests without using a guide or lots of trial and error.

It's in the manual.

This game's manual is actually insanely informative for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Supremezero posted:

It's in the manual.

Oh ffffff. They couldn't have put it as an option for Justine or something, or in the tutorials section?