Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
The next Elite skin should be Buck in full Nanook of the North garb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
just give new stuff to whoever the generally least played operators are

its not like they're all that worried about aesthetic consistency putting samurai, leprechauns, clowns and sci-fi action movie character items in the tacticool game

give pulse an MTV shirt so that when iq counters him its legit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

The next Elite skin should be Buck in full Nanook of the North Mountie garb.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

AnElegantPeacock posted:

The next Elite skin should be Buck in full Nanook of the North garb.

Last place on loving earth I would expect anyone to drop deep cut "first documentary ever" reference. The poo poo brought international attention to Northern native populations of Canada.

Also I like playing as pulse

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Penpal posted:

Last place on loving earth I would expect anyone to drop deep cut "first documentary ever" reference. The poo poo brought international attention to Northern native populations of Canada.

Also I like playing as pulse

I'm a smart young man. My momma says so.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Jager and the only difference is he now has a denim jacket.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nickname Pending posted:

Also also, who do you guys think would be a good contender for the next elite skin. Definitely need a defender to even it out. I would say GSG9 should get one, but (and this is probably me being ignorant), I can't think of a retro style outfit that isn't Nazi related.

Either give them whatever uniforms they wear when not in their "I was called up while wearing my civvies and didn't have time to change" dress or just different t-shirts and hoodies.

Ideally tease that one of the uniforms is a dress or skirt to tease the people obsessed with iq and then give it to Blitz.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Elite skin for Castle should be a Barkley 2 tie in.

Elite skin for IQ should make her look like IQ from the Burger King Kids Klub.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i really hope they keep gsg casual instead of some weird vintage military uniform.

also lol if elite glaz is the opposite with an inexplicably lush ghillie suit so that he can blend in with the office plants

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Glaz is so, so good at punishing spawn peekers. It feels so loving good instant headshotting a cheeky little bastard trying to kill teammates as they're running out of spawn, especially since it's so much easier for me to see them than it is for them to see me.

It's also hilarious how badly people poo poo themselves when there's a known Glaz and suddenly the room gets shrouded in smoke. As attackers, you feel so confident and happily breach and clear. As defenders, you dive for the nearest cover and cry until the smoke clears.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On the flipside, nothing's more satisfying than shooting some cocky Glaz in the head through his smoke because smoke is still client-side and sucks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

On the flipside, nothing's more satisfying than shooting some cocky Glaz in the head through his smoke because smoke is still client-side and sucks.

So that's what that is. I had a friend ragequit cause he got killed through smoke. He himself couldn't see poo poo, whereas the enemy's kill cam showed no smoke at all. He thought the guy was hacking. Sad part is, he wasn't a cocky Glaz, he was a smart Ash trying to obscure a killzone so he could nab the hostage safely.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Using a teammates smoke grenade and IQs wrist thing to pistol people through smoke was pretty great... when it worked.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

giving iq frag grenades was the best poo poo ever

pulse is very popular and she is so underplayed they never see you coming or know how to deal with you unless you're in a ranked match.

most pulse players are naturally wall huggers so you can take some pot shots at a window he's near or even a wall and make a sliver big enough to throw a primed nade through.

it'll blow up in his face before it even hits the ground

also rolling grenades under doors and just generally timing them so their pop in the air never gets old - just dont feed jaeger traps

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does IQ's poo poo detect people? I've tried it a few times but can never detect a living person, unless I'm just overwhelmed by all the info and can't decipher what's a gadget and what's a person.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if theyre on their camera you can see a little floating iphone

otherwise itll just pick up basically anything thatll be disabled by thatcher's emp except map lights and weapon attachments

and objective containers of course.

if you play her enough you'll get used to turning it on for a second and ignoring stuff like hibanas pellets or friendly drones to quickly disable whatever you can pop shots at. use a suppressor for this if you're cool.

then go back to whatever her main gun you like is. they're all good but she gets a LMG that uses magazines instead of belts which is :krad:

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 17, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't understand how people do it in ranked, but I've been coming across players that are clearly much better than everyone else and shouldn't be in the bracket with us. You'll have someone on either team running away with 10 kills and basically carrying whichever team they're on, whilst the rest of us are dying like absolute scrubs.

I spoke to someone who admitted they used to be Plat2 but spent hours purposefully losing ranked matches to get down to Bronze, and they claimed that they'll never get back up to Plat2 because each win only nets them 15 points or something.

It completely ruins a game, even if they're on your side. Just leaves you with nothing to do as they zip around with 100% map knowledge wiping everyone out before you get a chance to do anything. Or worse is when they're on the enemy team and just take your head off before you ever even knew what happened.

Just played a game where this guy joined with his friend, and his friend immediately left. His friend would keep rejoining and he had a level of 5 or something really low. Was he purposefully using his friend to get put into a lower bracket?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well that's pretty douchey when they purposefully do it, but most of the time there's a mismatch like that I expect you're just playing people in a group. When my group started playing, a few of us had barely touched a Tom Clancy game before and barely scraped by in bronze, but the other two had been platinum on console and watched lots of prerelease stuff and all that. Especially since the playerbase was much smaller back then, it made for some really wonky games. In both directions though- fighting platinums as a bronze back then did wonders for my k/d, let me tell you.

e: it's the same deal with the whole ping cheesing thing. if some people on reddit had their way, cross-continent play'd be disabled. yeah I get that it sucks when someone edits their server location so they get a lag advantage, but then I need that for whenever I disconnect from a game with my European friends or the thing won't let me back in mid round at all. People scum poo poo but there's legitimate uses for it too.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 17, 2017

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Just do what I do and only play ranked when the goons you are playing with bully you into playing it.

Great Beer posted:

Ideally tease that one of the uniforms is a dress or skirt to tease the people obsessed with iq and then give it to Blitz.

:syoon:

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 18, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Only if his shield gets a skirt too.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only if his shield gets a skirt too.

Nah, just do up the area around the flash bulb like eye makeup. Complete with giant false lashes.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Just do what I do and only play ranked when the goons you are playing with bully you into playing it.
I made you play ranked and you liked it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tythas posted:

I made you play ranked and you liked it

The taste of their salty Jager pick

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Great Beer posted:

Instant purchase

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I don't think that when you see someone with like 10-2 they're necessarily cheating or gaming the ranked system, I think this is just how the game goes. It's very streaky. I play with the same group of three pretty consistently and it's super super common for two of us to have a normal round while one person goes nuts and is like 9-0 or something.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Aced two rounds in a row. While it definitely makes me feel good about myself, other people really need to step up their game. Half the people in casual are just garbage. One round, I killed 4 in a row after they got cocky with that 1v5 and tried to rush me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's casual dude, people just use it to mess around. If you want a challenge for your leet skills then you should play ranked.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ranked is great, cause you'll be in Silver going up against dudes who have complete and utter map knowledge. So Glaz will be camping the room above you, sniping out all the best peek holes to kill your entire team. Caveira will be sneaky beakying around getting you from doorways you never knew existed. Hibana be busting holes up in your defense that you never even dreamed of doing yourself. Valk gonna be throwing cameras out of bounds and being at the exact right place at the exact right time to riddle your naive body with bullets.

Ranked is better than casual, but it's still garbage. Too many smurfs / teams joining with a low ranker in their midst for it to be fair. But at least it's a 50/50. Casual seems to attract the Plat tryhards.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Loopoo posted:

Ranked is great, cause you'll be in Silver going up against dudes who have complete and utter map knowledge. So Glaz will be camping the room above you, sniping out all the best peek holes to kill your entire team. Caveira will be sneaky beakying around getting you from doorways you never knew existed. Hibana be busting holes up in your defense that you never even dreamed of doing yourself. Valk gonna be throwing cameras out of bounds and being at the exact right place at the exact right time to riddle your naive body with bullets.

Ranked is better than casual, but it's still garbage. Too many smurfs / teams joining with a low ranker in their midst for it to be fair. But at least it's a 50/50. Casual seems to attract the Plat tryhards.

Being in silver and knowing the layout of the maps are not mutually exclusive concepts, my dude.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

Being in silver and knowing the layout of the maps are not mutually exclusive concepts, my dude.

I'm the rank that comes just after you make it out of Bronze. I can never remember if IV is the division just before promotion, or if it's the lowest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They swapped it a couple of patches ago so IV is the lowest now.

But nothing you said sounds like they're smurfing!!, it's very possible to learn one or two dirty tricks like that and use it to get a kill on a schmuck like you while still being garbage at some fundamentals of the game. Also if there are doorways you're getting confused about you should take a peek at r6maps.com, sometimes I even have it up mid-game in case I need to reference it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 18, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In high gold I've been running stupid gimmicks in an attempt to get back to bronze/silver. I mean I'll actually TRY an uncoordinated sledge rush or twitch drone-only. Half the time it either works or we win anyway because the team mates are so good. I'm probably part of the problem you're describing but the other players in gold/plat are so unfun to play against. They're so good and seem to have no fun playing. Last season I suicide placed low and really enjoyed ranked as the relaxed fun longer game mode where I have a tougher time in Casual tbh. My map knowledge is poo poo though.

Also, rank means something different during different times of day.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Koramei posted:

They swapped it a couple of patches ago so IV is the lowest now.

But nothing you said sounds like they're smurfing!!, it's very possible to learn one or two dirty tricks like that and use it to get a kill on a schmuck like you while still being garbage at some fundamentals of the game. Also if there are doorways you're getting confused about you should take a peek at r6maps.com, sometimes I even have it up mid-game in case I need to reference it.

It's just surprising when 5 games in a row, you're up against fellow schmucks who play at a similar level to yourself, but then you get that odd match where the enemy team is just insanely coordinated and knows their poo poo. As defenders, they'll rush out and wipe out half the team; as attackers, they'll be securing the objective within 30 seconds. It's basically a landslide that definitely isn't what we're able to handle at our skill level. Same as when there's an insanely good guy on our own team, it saps the fun because he's zipping around doing everything singlehandedly whilst the rest of us are still waddling in through the front door.

I'm not just saying having map knowledge makes you a smurf, it's just their whole playstyle screams "you're clearly not actually a low ranked Silver, cause us Silvers don't behave like that". I'm used to Silvers falling for the old Mira window on unreinforced wall trick.

Heran Bago posted:

In high gold I've been running stupid gimmicks in an attempt to get back to bronze/silver. I mean I'll actually TRY an uncoordinated sledge rush or twitch drone-only. Half the time it either works or we win anyway because the team mates are so good. I'm probably part of the problem you're describing but the other players in gold/plat are so unfun to play against. They're so good and seem to have no fun playing. Last season I suicide placed low and really enjoyed ranked as the relaxed fun longer game mode where I have a tougher time in Casual tbh. My map knowledge is poo poo though.

Also, rank means something different during different times of day.

What do you mean by that? As for you deranking on purpose, I can kinda sympathize. When I was in Gold, it was no fun at all. Almost every game was a loss because the skill jump was just insane. I ended up quickly falling down to Bronze even though I wasn't actively trying to fail. Those were a rough few days and my mate almost didn't pick the game back up again.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Loopoo posted:

What do you mean by that? As for you deranking on purpose, I can kinda sympathize. When I was in Gold, it was no fun at all. Almost every game was a loss because the skill jump was just insane. I ended up quickly falling down to Bronze even though I wasn't actively trying to fail. Those were a rough few days and my mate almost didn't pick the game back up again.

This kind of applies to any game with a ranked mode and regional servers. When you play at 3am, you are playing against a pool of players that plays the game constantly or at any hours of the day. When you play at 6 pm, the pool of players is mostly people with normal school/work lives or people who play for a couple set hours daily at the most. In my experience the former group tends to take the game more seriously, gets angrier, and is at a general higher skill level, making the exact same rank a different game. If you always play late at night or early in the morning, try afternoon or evening sometime.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, that's pretty amazing, I never thought of it that way. You're also 100% right, we were playing at around 2am so it was filled with super tryhards who were owning us.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLnDr2WokT8

If you don't have a Joe in your crew then you're the Joe.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Getting owned in new and inventive ways is like 95% of what this game is about. Just steal all the scumbag tactics (like picking Glaz) and use them yourself

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Yeah, one dude going off is more normal than weird. When we have a solid squad going and everyone holding their positions properly, every game will have a different mvp. It depends more on where the enemy team pushes from\their play style.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Getting owned in new and inventive ways is like 95% of what this game is about. Just steal all the scumbag tactics (like picking Glaz) and use them yourself

thats why i play the game tbh, idc about winrates or k:d ratio when i can kill someone by throwing a black eye camera on them while they're downed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Thief posted:

thats why i play the game tbh, idc about winrates or k:d ratio when i can kill someone by throwing a black eye camera on them while they're downed

You're not killing them, you're capturing them in a pokeball.

• Locked thread