Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

Just have sex in the hotel jacuzzi like normal people, Jesus.

Listen I've had a goddamned UTI from that poo poo no, no, don't do it, goddamn, you people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just lol if you don't dip yourself into a 55 gallon drum of lube before sex.

Or as the rest of us call it, "your mom"

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
In reasonably boring news, I took down my vanities and removed the hardibacker from the wall today in prep for the contractors to do the minor plumbing fixes needed and so it can be inspected later. Since the wall is off, i'm probably going to replace the mirror electrical boxes with adjustable boxes and I might swap out the brass pipes with some copper stubouts. That one is up in the air though since the brass ones are working and i'm not sure I have enough slack in the blue PEX on the right to make the switch without adding a coupler.

So far I've had 3 contractors come over and I've received one quote. I have another 3-4 contractors coming this week.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 17, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone else seen a house with a "Princess Diana Room"?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

In reasonably boring news, I took down my vanities and removed the hardibacker from the wall today in prep for the contractors to do the minor plumbing fixes needed and so it can be inspected later. Since the wall is off, i'm probably going to replace the mirror electrical boxes with adjustable boxes and I might swap out the brass pipes with some copper stubouts. That one is up in the air though since the brass ones are working and i'm not sure I have enough slack in the blue PEX on the right to make the switch without adding a coupler.

So far I've had 3 contractors come over and I've received one quote. I have another 3-4 contractors coming this week.

How much was the quote?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Why are your drainpipes level? Shouldn't that poo poo be angled to allow better flow and stop standing water and clogs and poo poo?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Looks like it slopes down to the left to me. Water only needs a couple degrees of slope to run.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Were they giving you poo poo about hacking up those studs? This is a scenario where you can flip the cutout and sister in a cripple.

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

Why are your drainpipes level? Shouldn't that poo poo be angled to allow better flow and stop standing water and clogs and poo poo?

It's fine, Fuckface.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

It looks closer to level than it is because the camera is not perpendicular to the wall.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Did you seriously cut out your studs to put in that pipe like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OSI bean dip posted:

Don't worry, it's not a load bearing wall.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Don't worry, it's not a load bearing wall.

Just put some load bearing drywall in front of it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

How much was the quote?

There were a lot of unrelated items on the quote, but the joist repair line item read as follows:
Repair floor joist (ball park number may need to revise after architect and inspector give recommendations) - $5500

Slugworth posted:

Looks like it slopes down to the left to me. Water only needs a couple degrees of slope to run.

Drain pipes only need 1/4" slope per foot. That pipe slopes 1/4" per foot.

OSI bean dip posted:

It was the only way to get a 7 foot section of pipe into the studs that I was aware of. None of 3 contractors thought this was an issue, although I still plan on sistering the studs for sanity and goon satisfaction.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

There were a lot of unrelated items on the quote, but the joist repair line item read as follows:
Repair floor joist (ball park number may need to revise after architect and inspector give recommendations) - $5500

Less than those hammock tubs!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ironically, one of those hammock tubs would have neatly alleviated the need for any floor there at all, much less floor joists, I say just remove the floor there altogether and go hog wild!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Ironically, one of those hammock tubs would have neatly alleviated the need for any floor there at all, much less floor joists, I say just remove the floor there altogether and go hog wild!

How about a glass bottom tub you can see from the kitchen below? That could be fun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't be a scrub, nut up and do it, bro

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i don't care if it's the safest thing since safe came to safetown and the inspector will literally give you a blowjob the second they see it, but RUN THAT loving WIRE BETTER ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BEFORE I END YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

within 72 hours please post either a picture of that wire run flat against the stud and then across the top with a sensible turn radius, or a brief explanation of why this is not possible

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

within 72 hours please post either a picture of that wire run flat against the stud and then across the top with a sensible turn radius, or a brief explanation of why this is not possible

Not long enough. That's a shortest-path solution if I've ever seen one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Zahgaegun posted:

Not long enough. That's a shortest-path solution if I've ever seen one.

i just assumed that's what it was, but...

[x] explanation
[ ] excuse

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm probably just super weird about it but i'd straight up cut it shorter, install a small junction box near the top, and run a wire down to the outlet along the stud. if i bring the shame of loving up measuring a wire on myself, i gotta own it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SoundMonkey posted:

i just assumed that's what it was, but...

[x] explanation
[ ] excuse

Makes hanging things more exciting?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Burt Sexual posted:

Makes hanging things more exciting?

call me crazy but i'd just as soon not have a foot-and-a-half by four-foot section of wall that i'd always have to wonder before I drilled into because there's an electrical cable at some unknown point behind it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i don't care if it's the safest thing since safe came to safetown and the inspector will literally give you a blowjob the second they see it, but RUN THAT loving WIRE BETTER ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BEFORE I END YOU

SoundMonkey posted:

call me crazy but i'd just as soon not have a foot-and-a-half by four-foot section of wall that i'd always have to wonder before I drilled into because there's an electrical cable at some unknown point behind it

Boy needs a warrstrecher

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Boy needs a warrstrecher

i mean it's in the spirit of the thread. just reef on it, there must be a bit of slack somewhere, right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm probably just super weird about it but i'd straight up cut it shorter, install a small junction box near the top, and run a wire down to the outlet along the stud. if i bring the shame of loving up measuring a wire on myself, i gotta own it.
Psst, don't give this advice to a guy who previously may or may not have buried a junction box without access.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slugworth posted:

Psst, don't give this advice to a guy who previously may or may not have buried a junction box without access.

i mean i hope nobody at all takes the inane poo poo i spew as actual advice but i do see your point yes

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean i hope nobody at all takes the inane poo poo i spew as actual advice but i do see your point yes

I'll see what I can do. I don't think there is enough slack but we'll see. I can probably drill a new hole but If I have to go into the attic to fish it I'm gonna be upset. That's a bitch of a spot to get to in the attic.

Also, no inaccessible junction boxes have been buried.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Also, no inaccessible junction boxes have been buried.

i see your fancy language there city boy

...what HAS been buried?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a tight deadline for work this week so you better believe I'll be posting weird glass bottom bathtubs to procrastinate tomorrow. Glasstubs galore.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i mean it's in the spirit of the thread. just reef on it, there must be a bit of slack somewhere, right?

need a poindexter STAT to figure via the hypotenuse if 1" slack is enough

I mean, he's got some slop in the box too, right?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

i see your fancy language there city boy

...what HAS been buried?

This is not within the scope of this thread.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

need a poindexter STAT to figure via the hypotenuse if 1" slack is enough

I mean, he's got some slop in the box too, right?

yeah just leave an inch in the box and use those wire holes on the back of the outlet, it'll be legit. people who leave some wire in the box are just wasteful.

edit: PLUS it's gonna be GFCI (please say it is) so it'll be a deeper plug anyways, yeah just leave almost nothing in the box and then staple it to the stud every two inches

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 18, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SoundMonkey posted:

edit: PLUS it's gonna be GFCI (please say it is) so it'll be a deeper plug anyways, yeah just leave almost nothing in the box and then staple it to the stud every two inches
GFCI probably means it'll have pigtails so those should be long enough on their own to actually reach out the back of the box, saving you several inches. And if you miss and hit the wire a few times with the hammer while stapling it, you should be able to get at least an inch or two more unless you hammer like a sissy

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

What if it went to the stud on the right instead of the stud on the left? Would that gain enough slack? Brb getting my drafting tools out

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

GFCI probably means it'll have pigtails so those should be long enough on their own to actually reach out the back of the box, saving you several inches. And if you miss and hit the wire a few times with the hammer while stapling it, you should be able to get at least an inch or two more unless you hammer like a sissy

This is why I like Bad Munki: always focused on solutions.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Technically, if you put the drywall up and paint and finish the wall first, you can later fish the cable and not necessarily be required to attach it to the studs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bad Munki posted:

oh, right you are. get those pigtails outside the junction box, no room for wasted space in a proper DIY job.

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

oh, right you are. get those pigtails outside the junction box, no room for wasted space in a proper DIY job.

semi-related: the house i just bought, much like the house i'm currently renting, has normal outlets in the bathroom (with "GFCI Protected" stickers) and a GFCI breaker on the other end of them. is this legit? i mean obviously it's legit because it's legal to sell GFCI breakers but am i looking at downsides?

I have a couple of AFCI breakers in my house, then there is one GFCI outlet downstream of a bunch of normal ones. Not sure if the AFCI breakers are also hooked to the GFCI circuits (never bothered to check), but almost all of my bathroom outlets are normal outlets with stickers on them with a feed from a single GFCI outlet.

• Locked thread