Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm pro-volume keys on the left though.
I can see why considering you're left handed. :) I prefer to press them with my thumb as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Is pushbullet bad now? I remember people in this thread talking about it a lot a while ago. Looking for a solution for my wife to send texts (including MMS) from her computer.

It's not bad but you have to pay if you want to send more than 100 (I think) texts per month. The alternatives are join by joaoapps and I think mighty text does MMS as well

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does handedness matter much? I've never really thought about it but I hold my phone in my left hand a lot and I'm right handed. Keep it in my left pocket too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

Does handedness matter much? I've never really thought about it but I hold my phone in my left hand a lot and I'm right handed. Keep it in my left pocket too

Same. I'm surprisingly ambidextrous about my phone

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also same

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wallet cases generally open to the left which makes it a pain in the arse to hold/type for me on the rare occasions i nedd to use my gfs phone. I prefer just rubberised cases that hug the phone anyway so its not a problem for me generally

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

tadashi posted:

I have a Galaxy s5. After a recent update, my phone tells me the ringer is in silent mode (it's actually just on vibrate) every time I plug in or unplug the phone. I can't tell if this is a Google thing or an operating system thing. Anyone know how to turn this thing off? It interrupts whatever I'm doing and it's annoying.

Any one figure this out? My Galaxy s6 started doing this the other day and it is extremely annyoing with no way to switch it off.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Grumpwagon posted:

Is pushbullet bad now? I remember people in this thread talking about it a lot a while ago. Looking for a solution for my wife to send texts (including MMS) from her computer.
I immediately dumped Pushbullet when they tried to make it a subscription service. You can use Mighty Text but they are also now a subscription service that charges to send more than 250 in a month, but it's a well done app that can do MMS.

You can also send unlimited texts with Cortana in Win10 provided you have the Cortana app on your phone (which you should if you use Windows and/or Xbox) but I don't think you can do MMS

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 16, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

have the Cortana app on your phone (which you should if you use Windows

Mega ultra disagreedo here

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I really wish I could have two companies tracking everything I do on my phone

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thumposaurus posted:

Any one figure this out? My Galaxy s6 started doing this the other day and it is extremely annyoing with no way to switch it off.

People on some forum say uninstalling something called Peel Remote fixes it???

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I searched and couldn't find poo poo on it. Digging through setting menus and still nada. My wife has been bugging me about it

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I have a Galaxy s5. [...] I can't tell if this is a Google thing.
It's definitely not a Google thing. It's probably a Samsung thing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Blue Train posted:

I really wish I could have two companies tracking everything I do on my phone

Google does this too, right? I got Google Assistant on my phone just before my upgrade, and it seems to require permissions for pretty much everything to function. Everything you type in Assistant, your GPS history, browser history, what your screen is showing at any given moment etc. No thanks. I've seen people caution others from buying Chinese brand phones because of privacy issues, and fair enough. But surely the same warnings should apply to Cortana and Google Assistant? Do we just trust our American corporate overlords more for some reason?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

There's a major difference between how Google/Microsoft currently operate and how the Chinese companies do.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google tracks everything you do as well and is the first company in my sarcastic statement, yes

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
how does the Moto g4 compare to the LG G4? I only ask because I ordered a Moto G4 off ebay for $90 and I was sent an LG G4 instead. The LG G4 seems to have better specs?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arcanen posted:

Google does this too, right? I got Google Assistant on my phone just before my upgrade, and it seems to require permissions for pretty much everything to function. Everything you type in Assistant, your GPS history, browser history, what your screen is showing at any given moment etc. No thanks. I've seen people caution others from buying Chinese brand phones because of privacy issues, and fair enough. But surely the same warnings should apply to Cortana and Google Assistant? Do we just trust our American corporate overlords more for some reason?

Yes, thus the reason he said "two".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dhamster posted:

how does the Moto g4 compare to the LG G4? I only ask because I ordered a Moto G4 off ebay for $90 and I was sent an LG G4 instead. The LG G4 seems to have better specs?

LG is literal garbage

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

dhamster posted:

Better specs, sure. Better phone? Ehh...

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SB35 posted:

Better specs, sure. Better phone? Ehh...

I think it is actually a better phone, all the way up to the moment it starts bootlooping. Then the Moto is better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For 90 bucks I probably wouldn't complain as long as I got something slightly better than a cardboard box with FONE written on the outside, but yeah, LG's phones are a bit notorious at the moment for going all bootloopy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dhamster posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against LG because that phone (and pretty much everything else they make) just start bootlooping because of complete hardware failure. I doubt you're going to be protected having bought it off eBay.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is it weird of me that i don't care that companies track the poo poo I do on my smartphone apps?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Is it weird of me that i don't care that companies track the poo poo I do on my smartphone apps?

Not in the least. Most of us operate under the understanding that what we get in exchange for our data far outweighs the cost of turning it over, at least when it comes to Google. I know I'm comfortable with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Enjoy your P-P-P-P-P-POWERPHONE!!!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

People on some forum say uninstalling something called Peel Remote fixes it???

Thanks, disabling the peel smart remote (it won't give an option to delete it) seems to have taken care of the problem. For now anyways.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

azurite posted:

There's a major difference between how Google/Microsoft currently operate and how the Chinese companies do.

#neversettle
#neverdisclose

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Roommate has the icon in the middle popping up randomly on his ZTE Grand Max 2. Anyone know what it is? Apparently it's a floating action button but we can't figure out which app is doing it.

We figured out what was going on.

The ZTE Grand Max 2 apparently allows ads and spam in the default keyboard that ZTE put on. On top of that FAB that popped up when he was in Gmail, YouTube, and using Chrome, it also pushed ads to his notification bar.

There's no way to uninstall the keyboard, but you can disable it and put on Gboard, which is what he did.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

The ZTE Grand Max 2 apparently allows ads and spam in the default keyboard that ZTE put on. On top of that FAB that popped up when he was in Gmail, YouTube, and using Chrome, it also pushed ads to his notification bar.

There's no way to uninstall the keyboard, but you can disable it and put on Gboard, which is what he did.

:psyduck:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No downside at all to buying a cheap Chinese brand phone, no sir.

The irony that the recommended phone in this situation, G5+, is also Chinese is not lost on me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 17, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lol

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Welcome to the world of importing cheap smartphones. Instead of wasting time making security updates they rush to beat malware devs at their own game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Please buy a real loving phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hungry Computer posted:

Welcome to the world of importing cheap smartphones. Instead of wasting time making security updates they rush to beat malware devs at their own game.
Look all you have to do is flash it with xXxWeedHitlerGokuROMxXx version 420.69 and then you don't have to worry about it. :rolleyes:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have experience with replacing an S7 Edge screen out from warranty? just realizing why curved screens are dumb. looking for where to buy an OEM screen for a reasonable price. Unfortunately replacing just the glass seems like a terrible way to do it as it means delaminating the old glass from the digitizer and praying you do a good glue job. I think the full screen module is the way to go but I can't find the part for under ~$260.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

According to MKBHD, Samsung has disabled the ability to remap the Bixby button on the S8 (which people were changing to Google Assistant) :lol:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

According to MKBHD, Samsung has disabled the ability to remap the Bixby button on the S8 (which people were changing to Google Assistant) :lol:

Samsung'd again :lol:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please buy a real loving phone

It's not that he doesn't know good phones as he bought my Nexus 6 back when it was still the newest Nexus phone for my birthday.

He bought what he could when he needed a new phone, it's just the first time he's had issues with it. But hardware wise, it's better than my Nexus 6 and much less crashy.

Sure it's some no name Chinese phone, but when your American made Nexus phone can't take a picture without rebooting on it's own, that says something about it, I guess?

Of course, I'd never buy one but I'm on Project Fi and I have no choice anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not that he doesn't know good phones as he bought my Nexus 6 back when it was still the newest Nexus phone for my birthday.

He bought what he could when he needed a new phone, it's just the first time he's had issues with it. But hardware wise, it's better than my Nexus 6 and much less crashy.

Sure it's some no name Chinese phone, but when your American made Nexus phone can't take a picture without rebooting on it's own, that says something about it, I guess?

Of course, I'd never buy one but I'm on Project Fi and I have no choice anyway. :v:

Watch his next phone be from oneplus because gently caress it just because the stove was hot last time doesn't mean it'll be hot this time too.