Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

That reminds me, is there a fusion chart in the game at all? I have no idea how you're supposed to do some of those requests without using a guide or lots of trial and error.

i looked it up for a few, but generally speaking, for strength, almost all the requests has one of the persona components have the skill you want, just as one of the higher leveled skills. there are a few that's a bit trickier, and the last one pretty much everyone says lol skill card

sorry phone posting, but there are definitely fusion guides online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Supremezero posted:

It's in the manual.

This game's manual is actually insanely informative for some reason.

Finally, an advantage of being forced to buy physical media from the Amazon Prime deal.

Well besides the $12 off new release games or whatever but CMON

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Supremezero posted:

It's in the manual.

This game's manual is actually insanely informative for some reason.

All manuals should be, really. It's just that they've gone the way of the dodo so it's hard to even remember to check to see if games have one anymore. I know I forgot to check for one with P5 on the PS4 home menu.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Temperance > Fortune > Death > Moon > Star > Sun > Party members you like > Hermit > Tower > Hierophant (I'm overrating the curry/coffee items here) > Party members you don't like > Hanged Man > Devil

I didn't touch Emperor until very late and only got it to rank 3. Apparently he can copy skill cards if you have a blank one which I didn't know about. However I got along fine without using skill cards for anything except High Counter Seth for the Strength confidant. Moon was very important to me since I hate staring at party members who are 5 or so levels behind the main group because of stupid split exp.

I didn't like any of the party members' persona upgrade aesthetically except for Ryujis. I'd keep them at rank 9 if it didn't mess with other elements in the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I thought Morgana's and Haru's upgraded Personas were cool

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Pollyanna posted:

Oh ffffff. They couldn't have put it as an option for Justine or something, or in the tutorials section?

at least on ps3 the game doesn't have a real manual, it just has this written inside the case

http://www.atlus.com/persona5/manual/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you need an on-hand fusion chart, there's always The Persona 5 Fusion Calculator.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The ps4 steelbook does not have a physical manual, so I doubt any physical version does.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ChaosArgate posted:

The ps4 steelbook does not have a physical manual, so I doubt any physical version does.

Welcome to the wooooooooooorld of tomorroooooooooooow!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kind of expect games to be their own manuals these days. We can certainly spare the data.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

drat I made my bold claim before I had checked, I'll be headed home for lunch soon and can verify that the standard game doesn't have it but I'm guessing as you said since steelbook doesn't that they didn't decide to extend a middle finger to their valued customers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's good to hear that I'm on the right by shoveling money down the fortune hole

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Lord Ephraim posted:

I didn't touch Emperor until very late and only got it to rank 3.
this is a shame cause Yusuke's link is like the best of the main party imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fortune has great abilities, but a lame storyline.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's usually one or the other, but some manage to have both (Star, Emperor) and then Devil manages to be impressive and have neither.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If I finish Devil, I'll be surprised. I already not want to hang with her, but then when I do, she doesn't even rank up. Girl we're at Rank 3 you can't start this already

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Devil is one S-Link I've definitely been neglecting, sounds like it's a good thing. I only like those cut scenes because I want to convince LaLa to let me have a drink, I'm a big boy damnit!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dragonatrix posted:

It's usually one or the other, but some manage to have both (Star, Emperor) and then Devil manages to be impressive and have neither.

Unfortunately you need max-rank to unlock Satan (I think that's the max-rank Devil Arcana reward?), which is a component of Lucifer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ann's link is the most useless of the main party right? Looking through she doesn't even seem to get anything unique where even Ryuji at least gets the instakill stuff.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unfortunately you need max-rank to unlock Satan (I think that's the max-rank Devil Arcana reward?), which is a component of Lucifer.

Max Devil's Beelzebub. Satan's in Judgment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It has to be tough to write main party member social links. They have to show character development during the link, because that's the whole point of them, while not conflicting with (or requiring) the character development they also have to show during the main story, because we expect the characters to grow and change during the story. But it also can't feel inconsequential--the best social links are the ones where you really believe that your MC has made a seriously positive impact on the other character's life. So it's a tough balance to strike. Social link development has to work regardless of where in the main story you are because plot-locking all the party member links would suck, and it also has to matter. That's gotta be really hard to write.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best part of Devil is the first one because it's basically three minutes of Drunk Yukiko.

Zore posted:

Ann's link is the most useless of the main party right? Looking through she doesn't even seem to get anything unique where even Ryuji at least gets the instakill stuff.

Sexy Technique makes it easier to plow through negotiations, but Sun will help you with that anyway.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Satan is Judgment, IIRC.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

Her Rank 7 Entice is unique iirc

also ann is cute and cool so hang out with her

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Devil at least gives you charm on most ranks.

But goddamn does her story start slow and then end right before anything interesting happens.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

It has to be tough to write main party member social links. They have to show character development during the link, because that's the whole point of them, while not conflicting with (or requiring) the character development they also have to show during the main story, because we expect the characters to grow and change during the story. But it also can't feel inconsequential--the best social links are the ones where you really believe that your MC has made a seriously positive impact on the other character's life. So it's a tough balance to strike. Social link development has to work regardless of where in the main story you are because plot-locking all the party member links would suck, and it also has to matter. That's gotta be really hard to write.

Yeah, I wouldn't really mind SLinks for party members being replaced with some other system, and just diversifying non-party member SLinks.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
on the other hand I'm Rank like 8 with Fortune and jesus this has gone fast. Chihaya's cute but her link is snoozeville

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zore posted:

Devil at least gives you charm on most ranks.

But goddamn does her story start slow and then end right before anything interesting happens.

So does Sun, but Sun's amazing and Devil is not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I maxed everyone out in my run except for Devil at 5 and fortune/lovers/empress at 1 and I don't really feel like I missed much.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I maxed everyone out in my run except for Devil at 5 and fortune/lovers/empress at 1 and I don't really feel like I missed much.

You missed a lot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I liked Empress, I thought that was a nice little link. The fact that I had Haru in my A-team and wanted to cover her weakness may have also influenced that somewhat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

why would you neglect Empress?

Its a good link.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's two plot hiccups that I don't really like now that I'm able to look back on the game after a couple days

(Will slightly be going into end game stuff) Haru joins and is super trusting right away. I figured Goro was the traitor even though I missed the pancake line but she just raised all these red flags. She got into the meta-verse *somehow* and wasn't showing off her persona saying "Oh I just can't summon it right now." and I thought it was obvious.

But no she really is just super trusting- even when she finds out her dad is dead she never wavers, never gets mad at the team. She just sucks it up and is ultimately fine with doing more PT stuff.

Then comes her social link where she sits down the day after all this and goes "Yeah I have problems trusting people" and her whole thing is that she feels like she can't trust anyone and... it feels like a massive contradiction? I like Haru by the end of the game but she literally doesn't make sense to me and feels like she's just kind of slotted in to give you a psy party member and not actually act as a fleshed out character. I think I'd almost prefer if she really was the traitor.

Other thing I felt weird was how guns work in general. Endgame stuff again You use fake swords and guns and whatever because shadows perceive them to be real and dangerous and that's the reasoning given- so how come you have ammo? Do they somehow perceive you with less? The limit seems kind of arbitrary. Also shouldn't Goro be NULL to gunshots? That dude knows you're using fake rear end guns so he should just kinda laugh at you if you use them. It's a story beat that feels kinda weird to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

why would you neglect Empress?

Its a good link.

I never used Haru and prof 5 was the last stat I maxed so I didn't even bother to get it past 1.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish you wouldn't get Haru so loving late

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had zero time available for Empress when she became available so she got relegated to the NG+ pile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Of the following, I'm probably going to fall to max at least two, because a) they're not party members, and b) I've yet to either start the link or be sucked into their actual story: Devil, Sun, Hanged Man (still don't have the Guts), Tower (just got the quest to start it).

Now that I have max Charm I'm less compelled to prioritize Devil and Sun, and I also don't care too much about the abilities they unlock. And it's not like I don't like the characters, either! Both Yoshida and Ohya are fun enough to hang out with and likeable. But their confidant abilities are kinda :shrug: to me and I'm not as sucked into their stories as I am with someone like Sojiro. Meanwhile I feel like I'm starting Hanged Man really late, and Tower starts late all on its own.

I'm pretty sure I can max all of the others and at least two of the ones I listed, though. I'm one day before the Hawaii trip (9/6) and I've maxed Lovers and Chariot, rank 8 with Fortune and Temperance, and at least rank 5 with everyone else (except the ones that go up automatically like Judgement and Justice, and Empress who I obviously haven't met yet but she'll get priority because I at the very least want to max all the party member links).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You use fake swords and guns and whatever because shadows perceive them to be real and dangerous and that's the reasoning given- so how come you have ammo? Do they somehow perceive you with less? The limit seems kind of arbitrary.

The guns are fake, but they're still airsoft guns, so they do carry ammo. Just, it turns into actual bullets and grenades in the Metaverse.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
On the subject of plot scenes and social links, I felt like Makoto had a custom line when I answered Ryuji's "drat you, did you betray us?" question at the end of the school trip. Anyone else get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Clocked in at 109 hours, though I'm sure there's another hour of walking around collecting presents from confidants before the credits roll. I'm certain a good chunk of that is leaving the game running while I do things, but with all the reloads it probably works out to be roughly correct. Got the true ending with all the trophies and everything prepped for zipping to the twins to finish off on NG+. What a good rear end game.

My biggest gripe is the amount of backloaded faffing about and general time wasting. The Treasure Seeker (or whatever it's called) navigator ability might as well just display a giant middle finger on the screen, since (like Ryuji's instakill-with-no-exp-or-money ability) it's only something you notice when it's annoying you. Money is so tight that I probably spent three hours tonight panhandling for demon spare change just to finish up the compendium. There were so many needless cutscenes during the final approach/battle that I spent the bulk of the time yelling at my monitor to get on with it. Every conversation in the last palace got fast forwarded and it still droned on forever. It just felt like the game was actively fighting me trying to finish it.

Also, since I get to do black bars now, I was so stupidly happy when (true ending spoiler) holy poo poo MOTHERFUCKING IGOR out of nowhere happened. It was such a good contrast to the hour of Believe In Yourself(c) cutscenes during the final sequence.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You use fake swords and guns and whatever because shadows perceive them to be real and dangerous and that's the reasoning given- so how come you have ammo? Do they somehow perceive you with less? The limit seems kind of arbitrary. Also shouldn't Goro be NULL to gunshots? That dude knows you're using fake rear end guns so he should just kinda laugh at you if you use them. It's a story beat that feels kinda weird to me.

The bullets are gamey. A case could be put forward that Goro knowing they're fake doesn't matter - you're not in his palace. The way they explain it does say the shadows but the shadows are in the mind of the palace guy so it's kind of all the same. Everything in there is fake so it'd be a really short game if disbelieving stuff made it not work.