Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's two plot hiccups that I don't really like now that I'm able to look back on the game after a couple days

(Will slightly be going into end game stuff) Haru joins and is super trusting right away. I figured Goro was the traitor even though I missed the pancake line but she just raised all these red flags. She got into the meta-verse *somehow* and wasn't showing off her persona saying "Oh I just can't summon it right now." and I thought it was obvious.

But no she really is just super trusting- even when she finds out her dad is dead she never wavers, never gets mad at the team. She just sucks it up and is ultimately fine with doing more PT stuff.

Then comes her social link where she sits down the day after all this and goes "Yeah I have problems trusting people" and her whole thing is that she feels like she can't trust anyone and... it feels like a massive contradiction? I like Haru by the end of the game but she literally doesn't make sense to me and feels like she's just kind of slotted in to give you a psy party member and not actually act as a fleshed out character. I think I'd almost prefer if she really was the traitor.

Other thing I felt weird was how guns work in general. Endgame stuff again You use fake swords and guns and whatever because shadows perceive them to be real and dangerous and that's the reasoning given- so how come you have ammo? Do they somehow perceive you with less? The limit seems kind of arbitrary. Also shouldn't Goro be NULL to gunshots? That dude knows you're using fake rear end guns so he should just kinda laugh at you if you use them. It's a story beat that feels kinda weird to me.

I don't think you were supposed to interpret the Empress slink to be saying

Haru has Trust Issues in general, but rather that in this specific situation (for obvious reasons!) she doesn't know who to trust and her habit of retreating inside her own head to wring her hands over it rather than TALK was not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Of the following, I'm probably going to fall to max at least two, because a) they're not party members, and b) I've yet to either start the link or be sucked into their actual story: Devil, Sun, Hanged Man (still don't have the Guts), Tower (just got the quest to start it).

Now that I have max Charm I'm less compelled to prioritize Devil and Sun, and I also don't care too much about the abilities they unlock. And it's not like I don't like the characters, either! Both Yoshida and Ohya are fun enough to hang out with and likeable. But their confidant abilities are kinda :shrug: to me and I'm not as sucked into their stories as I am with someone like Sojiro. Meanwhile I feel like I'm starting Hanged Man really late, and Tower starts late all on its own.

I'm pretty sure I can max all of the others and at least two of the ones I listed, though. I'm one day before the Hawaii trip (9/6) and I've maxed Lovers and Chariot, rank 8 with Fortune and Temperance, and at least rank 5 with everyone else (except the ones that go up automatically like Judgement and Justice, and Empress who I obviously haven't met yet but she'll get priority because I at the very least want to max all the party member links).

Sun is the best social link in the game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

The guns are fake, but they're still airsoft guns, so they do carry ammo. Just, it turns into actual bullets and grenades in the Metaverse.

Also are the melee weapons always fake? I know the early ones are often described as ornamental or replicas, but eventually that description goes away. And I have to assume it's easier to buy, say, a sharp knife or a collectible but still sharp katana in Japan than a real gun. (Though maybe I'm wrong about that and they control blades as well?)

Regy Rusty posted:

I do really like him, so if I end up having to pick and choose between those last four I'll try to prioritize him. I'm leaning towards prioritizing Sun and Hanged Man because Hanged Man seems cool, but I know Tower has useful abilities.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Being able to recruit any persona in the game regardless of level is super useful for certain fusions, too. Also it feels like having a persona registered makes any enemies of the same type more likely to give you more money? That might just be a placebo though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

I liked Hanged Man slightly more but it's real close for me

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Saigyouji posted:

The guns are fake, but they're still airsoft guns, so they do carry ammo. Just, it turns into actual bullets and grenades in the Metaverse.

Actually, on that note, is Airsoft Grenade Launchers a real thing?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do I claim the DLC stuff? I downloaded it to my PS4, but when I interact with the cardboard box by the stairs, it just says the usual message about it being a box.

I'm in Palace 2 btw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annath posted:

How do I claim the DLC stuff? I downloaded it to my PS4, but when I interact with the cardboard box by the stairs, it just says the usual message about it being a box.

I'm in Palace 2 btw.
save, exit the game, then relaunch it after downloading the stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I liked Hanged Man slightly more but it's real close for me

That one's also great, Sun probably left such a strong impression on me since it's the first one I finished.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it worth it to do electric chair weapon/armor crafting before endgame? I know that's how you get some of the best equipment, but obviously I don't have the Personas to do that right when it first unlocks. Should I be saving by blank weapons/armor/accessories for later and ignoring the electric chair for now?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Annath posted:

I'm in Palace 2 btw.

You'll need to fully exit the game first.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thor makes Mjolnir for Ryuji but that's all I can remember

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is it worth it to do electric chair weapon/armor crafting before endgame? I know that's how you get some of the best equipment, but obviously I don't have the Personas to do that right when it first unlocks. Should I be saving by blank weapons/armor/accessories for later and ignoring the electric chair for now?

I honestly never really used it but I understand that you can only do one per day so if you do wanna make stuff you'll need to plan at least a bit ahead since it's not like you can just do them all in the final dungeon.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

It also gets you skill cards.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Treasure demons turn into pretty powerful accessories, and black rocks are easy enough to get, although you're probably gonna just be wearing SP Adhesives anyway, so. Also at some point, the second hand shop starts selling the weapon transmutation material.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sweet.

I feel like at some point 7 SP per turn is going to be less of a big deal than it is at first and other accessories become more worth using, but maybe not.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

7 SP essentially halves the SP cost of the Dyne skills, so there's that. Slightly less useful if you're spamming Concentrate + Megidolaon/Blazing Hell, though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Honestly, by endgame you're swimming in Curry and Coffee (assuming you actually used Temperance, anyway), so it doesn't really matter that much anymore.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I used the SP Adhesives all the way up until the end of the game, but I probably didn't need to. I also used Team Ladies though, so there was a lot of magic being thrown around and not a whole lot of physical skills besides Haru's gunning.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Andrast posted:

I wish you wouldn't get Haru so loving late

The best things in life (Haru) are worth waiting for

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

In the last 3 dungeons the sheer amount of SP recovery items I had available to me made me ditch the SP Adhesive and just slap the Roland Medal on MC and call it a day.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It's a shame you can't use curry or tomatoes in battle. If I have time to enjoy a cup of coffee in the middle of a fight, I totally have the time to chow down on some curry.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Harrow posted:

Sweet.

I feel like at some point 7 SP per turn is going to be less of a big deal than it is at first and other accessories become more worth using, but maybe not.

It loses some utility due to the increased cost of high-level spells, but even then it can greatly extend how long your SP reserves can last, especially when coupled with the backup team regen abilities (though the MC is still going to burn through his SP far faster than anyone else).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Question about the final boss: So what was with those debuffs the arms kept putting on my dudes? As far as I could reason they didn't actually stop me from doing anything because those party members could still act without penalty. Like, Haru was inflicted with Lust but she was free to act like nothing happened, then it faded. I did kill the arms quick though, does something happen if I don't?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Saigyouji posted:

It's a shame you can't use curry or tomatoes in battle. If I have time to enjoy a cup of coffee in the middle of a fight, I totally have the time to chow down on some curry.

Demons respect coffee. Coffee is blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself. They don't know poo poo about Curry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
sex!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sure

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Harrow posted:

It has to be tough to write main party member social links.

this is why the whole idea was a mistake and p3's system of "all the character development happens in the story proper, the party member slinks are basically just backstory/dating sim poo poo" was probably better. p3 having to create a character for almost every arcana (and not wasting two with fusion and character requests) is responsible for that game being full of boring rear end characters you just talk to for the exp bonus/to kill time but p4 also had that problem AND made it so as soon as a character joined your group they stopped mattering or doing things.

p5 certainly does it a lot better than the previous games but it still feels a little awkward, I dunno if I should blame the fact that p3-5 had busy dev schedules or if the concept itself and the realities of making a 200 hour long jrpg with voice acting during most of the major scenes without a square enix level budget means that it's still basically impossible for your slink events to tie into the actual story at all unless you do like sojiro and just prevent you from progressing them till a designated plot point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I like is that almost all the party members feel pretty good in their set roles. The only weak link is probably Yusuke, as he's way too similar/inferior to Ryuji for a really long time and Tarukaja > Sukukaja. The divide there isn't as clean as Chie vs. Kanji. Ann being the only debuffer (til Akechi) is a little annoying since the Ma- buffs don't show up til quite late though. This means the MC is the only way to shore up offense and evasion reliably for quite a while. Yusuke should have gotten Rakunda or Sukunda.

I think P4 did balance better (none of the characters felt outright inferior since even Chie was better than Kanji for dungeons), but P5's alright. Ann is the only character that's completely reliant on SP, although by late game Makoto shouldn't really be using physicals anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

it fades to black boyo, let my imagination runs wild

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I like is that almost all the party members feel pretty good in their set roles. The only weak link is probably Yusuke, as he's way too similar/inferior to Ryuji for a really long time and Tarukaja > Sukukaja. The divide there isn't as clean as Chie vs. Kanji. Ann being the only debuffer (til Akechi) is a little annoying since the Ma- buffs don't show up til quite late though. This means the MC is the only way to shore up offense and evasion reliably for quite a while. Yusuke should have gotten Rakunda or Sukunda.

I think P4 did balance better (none of the characters felt outright inferior since even Chie was better than Kanji for dungeons), but P5's alright. Ann is the only character that's completely reliant on SP, although by late game Makoto shouldn't really be using physicals anyway.

Yusuke is more useful than Ryuji in the fourth Palace (lots of ice-weak enemies, boss uses wind attacks), at least, but otherwise I'd rather use Ryuji.

As soon as Makoto learns Mediarama, poor Morgana's going to be warming the bench forever. I feel bad for the little guy.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Andrast posted:

I wish you wouldn't get Haru so loving late

What's really weird is Haru feels a bit like a character afterthought in a game which is otherwise extremely good at patiently introducing characters and concepts well before the plot gets to the Palaces or other main plot beats that they're involved with. Haru drops in out of nowhere 30 minutes before the Palace that relates to her; before that point I think she shows up once, unvoiced, for maybe 5 seconds. This is pretty unique in the game compared to practically every other playable character or halfway important NPC, which makes me think that some part of her story was cut in development somewhere.

Of course once you have her she turns out to be a pretty good character writing-wise so this could simply be a result of (palace 5 spoiler) her entire introduction getting overshadowed by Morgana working through his post-Oracle crisis of self-confidence. Not every plot decision penned by a writer actually works out in practice, I guess.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

Yusuke is more useful than Ryuji in the fourth Palace (lots of ice-weak enemies, boss uses wind attacks), at least, but otherwise I'd rather use Ryuji.

As soon as Makoto learns Mediarama, poor Morgana's going to be warming the bench forever. I feel bad for the little guy.
Yeah I swapped out Ryuji and kept Yusuke the second Makoto showed up and the fourth dungeon really made me feel good about that choice. Yusuke's def holding his own as the Phys guy while I have a Kin-ki to help back him up

also thanks to my friend Goro I fused a Principality with Mediarama which was suuuuper helpful in the fourth palace's boss fight since I'm not using Morgana

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Supremezero posted:

Honestly, by endgame you're swimming in Curry and Coffee (assuming you actually used Temperance, anyway), so it doesn't really matter that much anymore.

I finished the game with 12 coffee and 18 Master Curry.

I didn't use the maid to make them either. I mostly did it myself for the coffee/curry facts explained by Jamison Price's "LET ME EXPLAIN". Sounded like it was ripped straight from Catherine.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think P4 did balance better (none of the characters felt outright inferior since even Chie was better than Kanji for dungeons), but P5's alright.

chie has way less strength and health than kanji (to the point where kanji can just hit you twice and match charge chie damage), doesn't learn ice moves after a while, learns basically zero useful moves for large parts of the game, has a less useful if not nearly as cool followup than kanji, has worse buffs and has comically low SP that means she can't even hit weaknesses for very long. kanji is way better than chie. golden tried to fix some of this by giving her more moves but then that game also gave kanji a healing spell and charge so now he's way more useful.

also naoto is sort of completely worthless because her intended niche of random battle deleter is downplayed by her showing up so drat late that you're at the point where you can just delete random battles with phys moves and she has a truly terrible stat spread.

:goonsay: about character tiers in a single player game that's not even that challenging.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 17, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lord Ephraim posted:

I finished the game with 12 coffee and 18 Master Curry.

I didn't use the maid to make them either. I mostly did it myself for the coffee/curry facts explained by Jamison Price's "LET ME EXPLAIN". Sounded like it was ripped straight from Catherine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did it just so I could pretend the Catherine narrator was telling me about drinks again.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Meiteron posted:

What's really weird is Haru feels a bit like a character afterthought in a game which is otherwise extremely good at patiently introducing characters and concepts well before the plot gets to the Palaces or other main plot beats that they're involved with. Haru drops in out of nowhere 30 minutes before the Palace that relates to her; before that point I think she shows up once, unvoiced, for maybe 5 seconds.

I did like the idea that haru just sort of stumbles into the action from offscreen and is instantly totally cool with doing dangerous poo poo sneaking past monsters even though she doesn't even have a real persona because she's both that nice and that much of a wannabe superhero. it was a cool change of pace from how obvious the game otherwise is with AND HERE IS YOUR NEXT PARTY MEMBER COMING SOON and it says a lot about her character.

def should've appeared sooner in some way though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

this is why the whole idea was a mistake and p3's system of "all the character development happens in the story proper, the party member slinks are basically just backstory/dating sim poo poo" was probably better. p3 having to create a character for almost every arcana (and not wasting two with fusion and character requests) is responsible for that game being full of boring rear end characters you just talk to for the exp bonus/to kill time but p4 also had that problem AND made it so as soon as a character joined your group they stopped mattering or doing things.

p5 certainly does it a lot better than the previous games but it still feels a little awkward, I dunno if I should blame the fact that p3-5 had busy dev schedules or if the concept itself and the realities of making a 200 hour long jrpg with voice acting during most of the major scenes without a square enix level budget means that it's still basically impossible for your slink events to tie into the actual story at all unless you do like sojiro and just prevent you from progressing them till a designated plot point.

What are you talking about? Yes it does create some issues but I much rather spend time hanging out with my teammates then some random rear end in a top hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

darealkooky posted:

also naoto is sort of completely worthless because her intended niche of random battle deleter is downplayed by her showing up so drat late that you're at the point where you can just delete random battles with phys moves and she has a truly terrible stat spread.

Naoto goes from "why bother using her" to "holy poo poo she's amazing" in Golden, if I remember correctly. She can learn all of the single-target -dyne spells, Mind Charge, and Heat Riser. She's really versatile and strong. Sure, she doesn't get boosts/amps like Yukiko does, but she's still fantastic.

I think my pick for best endgame party in Persona 4 is Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

chie has way less strength and health than kanji (to the point where kanji can just hit you twice and match charge chie damage), doesn't learn ice moves after a while, learns basically zero useful moves for large parts of the game, has a less useful if not nearly as cool followup than kanji, has worse buffs and has comically low SP that means she can't even hit weaknesses for very long. kanji is way better than chie. golden tried to fix some of this by giving her more moves but then that game also gave kanji a healing spell and charge so now he's quadratic ally more useful.

:goonsay: about character tiers in a single player game that's not even that challenging.
extremely this.

like obviously use what you want, but Chie has such a dire midspot where she just has noooooothing all that good aside from like six more medium Phys moves. Plus her stopping ice spells at Bufula is super weird. Meanwhile Kanji is better in like, every well numbers wise. The only change I made to my P4 team was swap out Chie for Kanji and then we were good to go. Yosuke was stupidly versatile, it was kinda silly and Yukiko was God Tier

Naoto was also not good, and I'm glad Goro is better than her too in every way though apparently Golden made Naoto pretty good. I'm worried I won't use Haru at all based on all I've heard about her but I'll see what she's got