Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Majorian posted:

Welllll, you kind of put your finger on it there, though, didn't you?

The point stands that, for all that Clinton hosed up by ignoring Wisconsin and Michigan, she would still have lost if she hadn't also flipped a few large states where she did a lot of campaigning, like Pennsylvania, Florida, or North Carolina. Ignoring WI/MI was a colossal blunder, for sure, but it wasn't the totality of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

HannibalBarca posted:

The point stands that, for all that Clinton hosed up by ignoring Wisconsin and Michigan, she would still have lost if she hadn't also flipped a few large states where she did a lot of campaigning, like Pennsylvania, Florida, or North Carolina. Ignoring WI/MI was a colossal blunder, for sure, but it wasn't the totality of the issue.

No, it wasn't, but all of those losses are tied together by the same two issues: an economic message that didn't appeal to enough voters, and a lot of time and energy that was not efficiently spent. Both of these seemed like they were at least partially based on the premise that, "Hey, where else were white working class Obama voters going to go? Trump? Don't make me laugh. They're gonna die off soon anyway." Which doesn't really work, when you absolutely need those voters to get over the top (or enough of another group of voters to make up the gap, which probably wasn't going to happen, when voter suppression laws were in place).

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Honestly the biggest problem was basing the entire campaign strategy around some sort of omniscient computer algorithm that was projecting black and youth turnout rates significantly above what was observable on the ground, and then trusting the computer instead of the actual people.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

I've been reading Thomas Frank's Listen, Liberal, and one of his big points is how too much emphasis on meritocracy has hurt the Dems. Rich people go to Ivy League schools, Ivy League schools pump out politicians, those politicians swim in the same schools as other Ivy League alums, rinse and repeat.

I understand your point, but that example just sounds like a poor metric of meritocracy because of the way that rich people get to be admitted with lower grades, and Ivy League self-perpetuating networking having a lot more to do with success than how marginally better their schools are than other schools. As well, these kinds of liberals underestimate the level of government service (e.g. healthcare) needed before it can even begin to approach equal opportunity. They also have Marco Rubio's problem, that if they inherited their wealth from one generation ago, that it doesn't really count as old money, and maybe their desire for their kids to do better than everyone else's kids produces internal conflict with the desire to have been given equal opportunity themselves. They also tend to discount the free time needed to practice and perfect a hobby and turn it into a career, like being a YouTube celebrity, web developing, or starting an Etsy business, as something that "anybody can do" when that time isn't available to people who need to work two jobs for a living.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 17, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

galenanorth posted:

I understand your point, but that example just sounds like a poor metric of meritocracy because of the way that rich people get to be admitted with lower grades, and Ivy League self-perpetuating networking having a lot more to do with success than how marginally better their schools are than other schools. As well, these kinds of liberals have a poor concept of the level of government service (e.g. healthcare) needed before it can even begin to approach equal opportunity. They also have Marco Rubio's problem, that if they inherited their wealth from one generation ago, that it doesn't really count as old money, and maybe their desire for their kids to do better than everyone else's kids produces internal conflict with the desire to have been given equal opportunity themselves.

Well, but that's the point, isn't it? Like I said:

Majorian posted:

So yeah, point is, I think we can all agree that the Dems' barometer for "merit" needs, uh, a little tweaking.

Meritocracy's a good thing, when your party's antenna is not all bent to hell.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HannibalBarca posted:

Honestly the biggest problem was basing the entire campaign strategy around some sort of omniscient computer algorithm that was projecting black and youth turnout rates significantly above what was observable on the ground, and then trusting the computer instead of the actual people.

I've heard about this computer algorithm theory several times now, but is any good evidence that it was the overriding force in her campaign? Like you say her entire campaign strategy was working off this thing. Is that... based off of solid evidence?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

khwarezm posted:

I've heard about this computer algorithm theory several times now, but is any good evidence that it was the overriding force in her campaign? Like you say her entire campaign strategy was working off this thing. Is that... based off of solid evidence?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.f0901f8818fa

"Ada is a complex computer algorithm that the campaign was prepared to publicly unveil after the election as its invisible guiding hand. Named for a female 19th-century mathematician — Ada, Countess of Lovelace — the algorithm was said to play a role in virtually every strategic decision Clinton aides made, including where and when to deploy the candidate and her battalion of surrogates and where to air television ads — as well as when it was safe to stay dark.

What Ada did, based on all that data, aides said, was run 400,000 simulations a day of what the race against Trump might look like. A report that was spit out would give campaign manager Robby Mook and others a detailed picture of which battleground states were most likely to tip the race in one direction or another — and guide decisions about where to spend time and deploy resources."

god these people were such idiots

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HannibalBarca posted:

"Ada is a complex computer algorithm that the campaign was prepared to publicly unveil after the election as its invisible guiding hand. Named for a female 19th-century mathematician — Ada, Countess of Lovelace — the algorithm was said to play a role in virtually every strategic decision Clinton aides made, including where and when to deploy the candidate and her battalion of surrogates and where to air television ads — as well as when it was safe to stay dark.

What Ada did, based on all that data, aides said, was run 400,000 simulations a day of what the race against Trump might look like. A report that was spit out would give campaign manager Robby Mook and others a detailed picture of which battleground states were most likely to tip the race in one direction or another — and guide decisions about where to spend time and deploy resources."

This is likely more of a garbage in, garbage out sort of thing. There is probably a lot of value in Ada - bear in mind this was supposed to be the next iteration of the data-driven campaign that put Obama in the WH - but if you're cherry-picking data and flat-out ignoring evidence that contradicts your narrative, then you're probably better off not using it at all.

In light of article posted earlier, we get a clearer picture of what happened here: the campaign developed a culture of telling the boss what she wanted to hear, because those who didn't got humiliated or sacked. So they tweaked the inputs until the system told them what it was "supposed" to, and anyone who disagreed quickly found themselves shut out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

In light of article posted earlier, we get a clearer picture of what happened here: the campaign developed a culture of telling the boss what she wanted to hear, because those who didn't got humiliated or sacked. So they tweaked the inputs until the system told them what it was "supposed" to, and anyone who disagreed quickly found themselves shut out.

I would also like to point out that pre-election, we were all whooping it up at symptoms of Trump's campaign looking this way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WampaLord posted:

I would also like to point out that pre-election, we were all whooping it up at symptoms of Trump's campaign looking this way.
Turns out Hillary is just a less competent Trump.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hillary Clinton vindictively LARPing as Bernie Sanders is a surreal image.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Typo posted:

game change 2016 isn't coming out until prob end of the year but the book the article is excerpting from is out next week

I really, really hope that one of these books describes Hillary's attitude, mannerisms, and bewildered rage on election night in thorough detail once she realized that her main ambition in life was shattered forever by a flamboyant reality TV billionaire. She didn't even come out to address her supporters that night. There were rumors that she began to scream uncontrollably and even began to violently throw things around her campaign office at staffers. This is a candidate who really lost the working class in the blue wall to a loving billionaire who's never held elected office before; who knows how she's going to live with that.

I'll read it anyway. Game Change was great, too.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

http://mashable.com/2016/09/27/clinton-shimmy-gif/#3SDOmv4IKOqN

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HannibalBarca posted:

400k? that's it?

that's not many variables for big data. i guess she bought into the big data tech bubble craze like an idiot and was just fumbling around in the dark, cause i don't see how simulations based on so few variables run daily could ever give her an appropriate view of what she should be doing.

hillary is dumb in many ways though. she blames all her failures on anyone and everyone around her, so if she had become president she'd gently caress all our lives up and then blame us for it. she got suckered by a man named mook, and she got tricked by george w bush (the monkey guy who can't figure out ponchos).

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 17, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

galenanorth posted:

I understand your point, but that example just sounds like a poor metric of meritocracy because of the way that rich people get to be admitted with lower grades, and Ivy League self-perpetuating networking having a lot more to do with success than how marginally better their schools are than other schools. As well, these kinds of liberals underestimate the level of government service (e.g. healthcare) needed before it can even begin to approach equal opportunity. They also have Marco Rubio's problem, that if they inherited their wealth from one generation ago, that it doesn't really count as old money, and maybe their desire for their kids to do better than everyone else's kids produces internal conflict with the desire to have been given equal opportunity themselves. They also tend to discount the free time needed to practice and perfect a hobby and turn it into a career, like being a YouTube celebrity, web developing, or starting an Etsy business, as something that "anybody can do" when that time isn't available to people who need to work two jobs for a living.

There some element of social mobility in there somewhere, usually from baby-boomers who might have come from lower/middle class backgrounds and were able to enter professional careers/go to elite universities. Of course, now that is the "bare minimum" for their children and they have the money basically to make sure those kids never have to ever worry.

The issue is that those (now) upper middle class boomers and their children probably don't things to change that much because things are still going relatively well for them. They are often socially liberal, but in reality are quite conservative when you start talking about redistributing anything because they fear it may come from them. It is also the people that Hillary's campaign talked to the most, especially boomer women that had a professional career trajectory.

It also is the reason why they aren't actual allies to anyone that wants to change anything with this country, if anything they are an impediment to change even through they really really try to pretend they aren't. They are also the people who have the money and influence to desperately hold on to power (and are grooming their millennial children to take over the reins in the next 10-20 years).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

..eh not worth it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Radish posted:

Honestly many of these types are only socially liberal in so far as they aren't affected whatsoever, or they personally gain from it. Look at how tepid Hillary's support of DAPL was or how in 2008 she was against gay marriage because it didn't play well with "family values." These types of people say they are for equal rights then get pissed when BLM protests and fucks up their commute. Socially liberal policies will always play backseat to Serious conservative economics to them; if the two don't overlap much they will help out but if a choice has to be made it's clear where they go. Another example is charter schools where the intent is re-implementing publicly funded segregation with the added benefit of loving over teacher's unions and you have Democrats lining up to help.

Granted, I do think some of them are more socially liberal than others, but a lot of it is rather empty for relative change. They may say it is "horrible" that police seem to keep on shooting black men, but it isn't like they want to rebuild their local police department from the bottom up.

I think part of this is also spin, charter schools were (and often still are) spun as a "progressive" measure to help students and their parents have more "choice." The details about how is going happen is usually ignored (Waiting for Superman). It doesn't really help most of the media, including what was once the "liberal" media is fully on board and tries to re-frame the topic. I think we can agree at this point that the US media really doesn't have a left-wing.

I am using a lot of scare quotes, but to be honest another issue here is language. What does "progressive" or "liberal" even mean anymore? Does "choice" matter if equality is off the table?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I think it's bizarre that "Being associated with us would hurt him" is supposed to make the party look better than saying "Oops, we goofed." It's basically an offline Puppet Master defense.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kilroy posted:

This is likely more of a garbage in, garbage out sort of thing. There is probably a lot of value in Ada - bear in mind this was supposed to be the next iteration of the data-driven campaign that put Obama in the WH - but if you're cherry-picking data and flat-out ignoring evidence that contradicts your narrative, then you're probably better off not using it at all.

Yeah, I mean for all the poo poo Nate Silver got throughout the entirety of 2016 his model was the only publicly available model that wasn't Bill Mitchell's Halloween Mask Sales level of stupid to indicate there's a reasonable chance Trump might win. All Nate did was note "whole lot more poor white people than usual seem to like Trump" and went from there. Presumably the internal model the Clinton team had would have shown this but if there was a hesitancy to trust it or they were feeding it bad data...well that's on them.

My bigger suspicion is that the people at the top of the campaign had no idea how to actually use data. I mean again we are talking about a candidate who's campaign 8 years earlier was run by a person who didn't understand how delegate selection worked. Her chief political advisor clicked on the world's most obvious phising email. Hillary and her inner circle being unable or unwilling to understand analytics and modeling wouldn't surprise me in the least.

In other news, anyone here think Ossof gets to 50%+1 tomorrow? I'm holding out my hopes given the overperformance in CA and KS but I think even if he doesn't get it he's got a great shot at the runoff.

Ardennes posted:

There some element of social mobility in there somewhere, usually from baby-boomers who might have come from lower/middle class backgrounds and were able to enter professional careers/go to elite universities. Of course, now that is the "bare minimum" for their children and they have the money basically to make sure those kids never have to ever worry.

The issue is that those (now) upper middle class boomers and their children probably don't things to change that much because things are still going relatively well for them. They are often socially liberal, but in reality are quite conservative when you start talking about redistributing anything because they fear it may come from them. It is also the people that Hillary's campaign talked to the most, especially boomer women that had a professional career trajectory.

It also is the reason why they aren't actual allies to anyone that wants to change anything with this country, if anything they are an impediment to change even through they really really try to pretend they aren't. They are also the people who have the money and influence to desperately hold on to power (and are grooming their millennial children to take over the reins in the next 10-20 years).

Put yourself in their shoes though. If you were them, why the hell would you want to overturn the apple cart? You can get a lot of these people you're demonizing to support reform but you're never going to get them to agree that their very existence is an affront to decency. We poo poo on poor white folks voting against their economic interests all the time here but we're supposed to accept that well-off social liberals should want to guillotine themselves?

Not all of us have as much self-hatred as the average goon does.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 17, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ossoff will get 45 or 46% tomorrow and then lose the runoff by a hair or two.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HannibalBarca posted:

I think it's possible for him to win the runoff... Karen Handle is a real nut.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

I'd be disappointed but still okay with this result because again this is district is horribly gerrymandered in favor of the GOP. Unfortunately people will melt the gently caress down over it and declare all hope pointless and everything poo poo instead of re-doubling their efforts.

But I think he's going to win (the run-off that is).

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

axeil posted:

Put yourself in their shoes though. If you were them, why the hell would you want to overturn the apple cart? You can get a lot of these people you're demonizing to support reform but you're never going to get them to agree that their very existence is an affront to decency. We poo poo on poor white folks voting against their economic interests all the time here but we're supposed to accept that well-off social liberals should want to guillotine themselves?

Part of good leadership is knowing when to express unpopular opinions, if they are right, and it's also knowing when to step aside because you're not the right one to lead. It's not the "marching to the guillotine", it's putting the interests of the nation above your own

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

axeil posted:

Yeah, I mean for all the poo poo Nate Silver got throughout the entirety of 2016 his model was the only publicly available model that wasn't Bill Mitchell's Halloween Mask Sales level of stupid to indicate there's a reasonable chance Trump might win. All Nate did was note "whole lot more poor white people than usual seem to like Trump" and went from there. Presumably the internal model the Clinton team had would have shown this but if there was a hesitancy to trust it or they were feeding it bad data...well that's on them.
On the other hand Nate wrote that "Trump's Six Stages of Doom" article which was dumb as hell and ultimately humiliated him. So while he ended up being "right", or rather being wrong by less than most anyone else, I think it's more a case of him fudging his own data to give Trump an edge that having a solid methodology.

Like if he hadn't written that article and been made a laughingstock because of it, he'd probably have been right there with everyone else and loving up just as bad.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Part of good leadership is knowing when to express unpopular opinions, if they are right, and it's also knowing when to step aside because you're not the right one to lead. It's not the "marching to the guillotine", it's putting the interests of the nation above your own

Eh the reason I'm still one of those scary ~*centrist*~ boogeymen is because I'm more worried if we go for big sweeping reform all at once the country will literally fall into fascism. I mean, if the little incremental changes of Obamacare and actually regulating business/the environment caused this, what would happen if the status quo was attacked even more fiercely?

I admit this is a position that comes from economic privilege and it has 0 appeal to someone who is getting poo poo on for minimum wage. At the same time, you can get people in my cohort to support lefty stuff like a $15 minimum (which I support) if the left drops the "and we will drink the blood of the bourgeois" crap. It's the unfortunate reality of politics. Us centrists don't have enough on our own and we agree with the leftists on most stuff but the rhetoric can get a bit extreme which makes the "fairly well off suburban white dude" demographic nervous, but at the same time the leftists are pissed (rightly) and want real change and find people like me arguing about rhetoric insulting.

I dunno. I think it's helpful to understand where and why people think what they think and focus on common grounds. To that end let's just remember to be excellent to each other, impeach Donald Trump and have our ideological knife fight after the greater evil is destroyed.

Kilroy posted:

On the other hand Nate wrote that "Trump's Six Stages of Doom" article which was dumb as hell and ultimately humiliated him. So while he ended up being "right", or rather being wrong by less than most anyone else, I think it's more a case of him fudging his own data to give Trump an edge that having a solid methodology.

Like if he hadn't written that article and been made a laughingstock because of it, he'd probably have been right there with everyone else and loving up just as bad.

Eh, I mean even going back to his PECOTA days he's always been a big advocate for baking more error into your model, especially on things where there just isn't a lot of history (like presidential elections).

But yes, those articles look really, really dumb in retrospect.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

This one is my favorite: http://election.princeton.edu/2016/11/06/is-99-a-reasonable-probability/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

axeil posted:

Eh the reason I'm still one of those scary ~*centrist*~ boogeymen is because I'm more worried if we go for big sweeping reform all at once the country will literally fall into fascism. I mean, if the little incremental changes of Obamacare and actually regulating business/the environment caused this, what would happen if the status quo was attacked even more fiercely?
You could easily take the opposite lessen. Little incremental changes aren't what people are looking for when their communities are in free fall, they want decisive action. If that action fails to materialize, they lose faith in the political system, either convincing them that voting is useless or sending them into the arms of demagogues.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

axeil posted:

All you have to do is look at that Washington Post article lovely ~*centrists*~ love to masturbate to about the Trump supporters from West Virginia who were helped by the Medicaid expansion part of Obamacare but are now in danger of losing their coverage to show why 'little incremental changes' is the wrong way to go.

quote:

Like so many in this corner of Appalachia, he used to have a highly paid job at a coal mine. Company insurance covered all of his medical needs. Then he lost the job and ended up here, holding a cane and suffering not only from heartburn but diabetes, arthritis, diverticulitis, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

Because of the ACA, Clyde’s visit is covered by Medicaid. Before the law, most West Virginians without children or disabilities could not qualify for Medicaid, no matter how poor they were. The ACA — better known here as Obamacare — expanded the program to cover more people, such as Clyde, who can depend on Keisha to fix his heartburn without having to worry about the cost.

As for the other problems in his life, he has put his hopes in Trump, who came to West Virginia saying he would bring back coal and put miners back to work. When Trump mentioned repealing Obamacare, Clyde wasn’t sure what that might mean for his Medicaid. But if he had a job that provided health insurance, he reasoned, he wouldn’t need Medicaid anyway, so he voted for Trump, along with 74 percent of McDowell County.

(...)

Ruby is another patient who voted for Trump because of his promise to bring back jobs. She hasn’t yet lost hope that she can become a secretary, but for the past two years she’s been working at KFC. She has health insurance only because she was fined on her taxes for not having it, at which point she found out that because of the ACA, she qualified for Medicaid. It is insurance at its most tenuous, though, because if Medicaid reverts back to a program only for the neediest people, the working poor will be most at risk of losing their coverage.

(...)

Another patient comes in: Carolyn Hodges, 68, who tells Keisha that she’s been feeling dizzy. Carolyn has Medicare, the public health insurance for the elderly. Medicare doesn’t cover all health-care costs, which is why Carolyn is as worried about the price of her medications as the fact that she’s been bumping into walls.

The last time she went to pick up her husband Roger’s insulin, Carolyn tells Keisha, the pharmacist said it would be more than $600, instead of the $100 or so they usually pay. That was when she learned Roger was in the Medicare prescription “donut hole,” which means that the cost of his medications had exceeded his limit for the year, and he would be forced to pay far more for prescriptions until the year ended and the tab started over. One initiative of the ACA has been to close that hole incrementally, but Carolyn, unaware of that, sees the bills piling up and thinks she knows who must be to blame.

“Thank you, Obama!” Carolyn says, throwing her arms in the air.

(...)

Another patient: Charles Collins, 39, who believes that the impact of the ACA was to make his own health-care costs rise. He is privately insured through his job at a coal mine one county over. The mine used to cover 100 percent of his medical expenses, but starting this year, only 90 percent is covered, and his dental insurance, he tells Keisha, “ain’t worth a nickel.”

“That’s a mess,” she says. Charles unclips his miner’s overalls so she can place the stethoscope on his chest, and tells her about getting his tooth pulled.

“I got a bill for $324 and they paid a dollar of it,” he says about his insurance. He is glad Trump is repealing the ACA, because in his opinion working people are being forced to pay for those who sit around and do nothing. But no matter what Trump does, Charles knows the bill for this visit is coming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/west-virginia-tug-river-obamacare/

tl;dr - they believe the 'little incremental changes' were not important enough compared to the big changes Trump was talking about (since most people want to work and are willing to trade their Medicaid for a job that provides insurance) or misconstrued them as drastic changes so any negatives of not going far enough are chalked up as the failure of such drastic change

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

axeil posted:

Lol no you're a centrist because you have a cushy finance job and don't feel bad about being a proud member of the capitalist-imperialist machine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

axeil posted:

I admit this is a position that comes from economic privilege and it has 0 appeal to someone who is getting poo poo on for minimum wage. At the same time, you can get people in my cohort to support lefty stuff like a $15 minimum (which I support) if the left drops the "and we will drink the blood of the bourgeois" crap. It's the unfortunate reality of politics. Us centrists don't have enough on our own and we agree with the leftists on most stuff but the rhetoric can get a bit extreme which makes the "fairly well off suburban white dude" demographic nervous, but at the same time the leftists are pissed (rightly) and want real change and find people like me arguing about rhetoric insulting.

I dunno. I think it's helpful to understand where and why people think what they think and focus on common grounds. To that end let's just remember to be excellent to each other, impeach Donald Trump and have our ideological knife fight after the greater evil is destroyed.

Eh, I mean even going back to his PECOTA days he's always been a big advocate for baking more error into your model, especially on things where there just isn't a lot of history (like presidential elections).

But yes, those articles look really, really dumb in retrospect.

What we learned from Obamacare is that the enemies of expanding the social safety net will call even modest reforms radical, might as well go big or go home. There is no political benefit to restraint.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

What we learned from Obamacare is that the enemies of expanding the social safety net will call even modest reforms radical, might as well go big or go home. There is no political benefit to restraint.

Hm, perhaps in the end Mcmagic Was Right After All.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Yeah; Republicans will paint literally anything Democrats do as being outright socialism, so it's not like the message received by right-leaning Americans will change much.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; Republicans will paint literally anything Democrats do as being outright socialism, so it's not like the message received by right-leaning Americans will change much.

As a bonus, so will axeil!

Turns out Team "I'd support leftist policy if only you were a little nicer to m- er, I mean upper-middle-class suburbanites" is remarkably consistent when it comes to putting their supposed principles into practice.

It's just so much more ~pragmatic~ to never actually try anything.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/books/shattered-charts-hillary-clintons-course-into-the-iceberg.html?_r=0

dis gon be gud

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

axeil posted:

The point of your kind limiting your economic interests is not self-hatred, it's self-preservation. Guillotines is what happens when you don't.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The more blame that is placed on the Clinton campaign for the loss, the less need the democrats will feel to make fundamental changes in policy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

JeffersonClay posted:

The more blame that is placed on the Clinton campaign for the loss, the less need the democrats will feel to make fundamental changes in policy.

Counterpoint: The more blame that is placed on Clinton and her campaign for the loss, the more we can make third way clintonism absolutely toxic to touch in the future. (of course that will do little to stop Hillary from running again in 2020 but it could prevent her from winning the primary as people realize she's a born loser when it comes to presidential races)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

No I'm pretty sure the democrats aren't going to make fundamental changes in policy regardless of how much blame (lol at trying to quantify this) is placed on Clinton's campaign for losing 2016.

It's pretty telling that the only other Democrat to even make a real run in the primary was actually not a Democrat. Nobody likes Democrats, it's basically being a fan of the servants of the rich. Lesser of two evils has been the entire strategy for the past 20 years

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

also dunking on robby mook is a viable way to bridge the center-left divide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

also dunking on robby mook is a viable way to bridge the center-left divide

Right? Although Jenn Palmieri deserves it even more. What an unbelievable idiot.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread