Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

IT BURNS posted:

So MY WIFE and I are getting ready to buy our first home. We have a sizable down payment saved ($60k), no debt, stable jobs, and the homes in our area aren't astronomically expensive ($180-$200, which is our range, gets you a nice place with a pool, or at least a community pool).

The big question is - do we blow the whole savings, get a 15-year mortgage, and try to pay it off ASAP or pay the 20% on a 15-year and still have some money left over for incidentals? I like the idea of potentially owning under 15 years, but there's the whole "no savings/emergency fund" thing, which makes me slightly uneasy. We are pretty good at saving - typically, we save one person's paycheck each month in various streams (personal savings, retirement, kiddo's college fund), so we could try to build it back up in a few years. Thoughts?

You can't accurately gauge what will be more valuable to you in the future: your emergency fund or the lifetime savings of gutting your principal and consequently your interest. I'll go a LITTLE against the grain of the thread and say that if you put down 20%, budget intelligently, and then put 50% of your savings to mortgage principal and 50% into your emergency fund you can get exposure to both without correctly predicting the future. Once you top up your e-fund to an acceptable sum, you can focus entirely on the mortgage and get it paid down entirely. Then maybe like, look at FIRE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do not spend your emergency fund on your down payment. That is a short path to your sewer main exploding and the roof collapsing. Doing the 30 year loan in 15 thing is a really good way to be secure in the fact that if you do hit financial hardship your emergency fund can last you a very long time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just finished closing this morning, time to clean up after the previous owners because they didn't do a very good job.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Photex posted:

just finished closing this morning, time to clean up after the previous owners because they didn't do a very good job.

I suggest going to the hardware store and picking up new toilet seats, aerators for the sinks, a new water filter for the fridge, new matched locking doorknobs, led lightbulbs if not already installed, and a programmable thermostat if one isn't there. Oh and picture hangers and a folding chair to put in your garage so you can sit there alone and drink beer.

e: I would have said an air filter for your furnace but you should order that online from nordic pure. But I did forget: replace your CO alarms while you are at it - they expire.

Bozart fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If there is paint in a shed outside and you live somewhere that it gets cold, just toss it because it's probably no good anymore.

Haha. "If there is paint in a shed outside."

Of COURSE there is paint in a shed outside. There always is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If there is paint in a shed outside and you live somewhere that it gets cold, just toss it because it's probably no good anymore.

Haha. "If there is paint in a shed outside."

Of COURSE there is paint in a shed outside. There always is.

Write down the paint codes just in case before you properly dispose of it. (Latex you can just let dry out and trash, other haz mat.) You never know if a part of the house will fall off and you want to match before repainting the whole thing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

daslog posted:

Thinking of buying a house and not spending the 250 dollars on an inspection of your sewer pipe? Check out the video Drain pro just sent me. We have been having some problems with a slow drain. It doesn't really get good until about the 2 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWwNHLm_lrQ&t=112s

The part where the camera goes all weird is because it's going to through standing water. It turns out there are at least 3 different types of pipe and all the connections are coming apart. Not to mention the lovely thin PVC stuff that''s totally caved in.

You're making me nervous for what my upcoming drain inspection is going to find.

J/K, I know its gonna be a couple grand to fix, I just don't know what part of my basement is gonna get tore up.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

I suggest going to the hardware store and picking up new toilet seats, aerators for the sinks, a new water filter for the fridge, new matched locking doorknobs, led lightbulbs if not already installed, and a programmable thermostat if one isn't there. Oh and picture hangers and a folding chair to put in your garage so you can sit there alone and drink beer.

e: I would have said an air filter for your furnace but you should order that online from nordic pure. But I did forget: replace your CO alarms while you are at it - they expire.

These are all things we're planning on doing, we've already ordered air and water filters for everything that has one. LED Lightbulbs will be a thing as well (all recessed lighting so I have to see what's needed) and luckily we have programmable thermostats in both zones already.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Speaking of LED lighbulbs, our Costco sells the nice 60-W replacements for about $1 each in a 10-pack. I was pretty floored and replaced all of our vanity lighting (a line of incandescents in every bathroom) on the cheap. I wouldn't normally go to Costco for hardware... but there you have it, check places you wouldn't normally think of

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finally set a completion date for my flat sale. Can't wait! The UK freehold / leasehold system is really stupid and I never want to buy a leasehold again.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

knox_harrington posted:

Finally set a completion date for my flat sale. Can't wait! The UK freehold / leasehold system is really stupid and I never want to buy a leasehold again.

I gather leasehold is a lot more common in the UK, but I don't really know the reasons for it. In about 5 years dealing almost exclusively with home refinancing in the US, looking at thousands of loans, I think I have seen one or two leaseholds. It seems like it is only common here in indian reservations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Spent almost $600 the first weekend in my new house :suicide:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Photex posted:

Congrats on the cheap move in.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, get ready Photex.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Half of that was light bulbs, the rest was like a ladder, some patch and paint. Now I need $1200 to replace the in wall AC units

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I spent nearly $100k on my house this year so at least I'm getting a tax refund :confuoot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Photex posted:

Half of that was light bulbs, the rest was like a ladder, some patch and paint. Now I need $1200 to replace the in wall AC units

$300 worth of lightbulbs?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leperflesh posted:

Someone doesn't know that Costco has a contractor pack of 10 60W LED bulbs for $10...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Leperflesh posted:

I too wish I had my living room outfitted with hue bulbs

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

couldcareless posted:

I too wish I had my living room outfitted with hue bulbs

I mean you can laugh but $300 would literally only buy you like, 6 Hue bulbs. We have 9 regular sockets, 5 recessed cans and 2 ceiling fan bulbs in our living room alone, making a Hue installation more than $700.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think I spent like $120 on led can retrofits so that doesn't seem wholly implausible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you're spending fifty bucks a lightbulb you don't get to complain about how much your move-in home improvements cost because you are a rich person.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

We need dude to itemize his purchase so we know whether or not to nail him to the wall for being too bougie. Come on and do the needful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Someone doesn't know that Costco has a contractor pack of 10 60W LED bulbs for $10...

Aren't those the terrible blue-white ones?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Subjunctive posted:

Aren't those the terrible blue-white ones?

You can get temperatures at either end of the spectrum, from warm to cool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Photex posted:

Looks like our appraisal went without any issues, is it pretty much smooth sailing from here on out? Can I loving breath already?

Photex posted:

Just over a week till my closing, is it okay to have a nervous break down yet?

Photex posted:

Someone want to let him in on the secret?

Photex posted:

Just got my final closing cost its $1000 less than I expected and the seller has to cut me a check for $650 :circlefap:

Photex posted:

This progression in a month and 10 days is hilarious. I spent $600 on a new sink fixture ($450 on kitchen sink fixture, $150 for a plumber to install it right then and there) after I broke the old one attempting to add a 50¢ brass cap to the 2-outlet cold water valve under my sink the day I took possession.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

therobit posted:

I gather leasehold is a lot more common in the UK, but I don't really know the reasons for it. In about 5 years dealing almost exclusively with home refinancing in the US, looking at thousands of loans, I think I have seen one or two leaseholds. It seems like it is only common here in indian reservations.

Hawaii has a bunch too. Mostly it's people who don't want to let land leave the family, so they lease it out on really long terms. I saw one lease that can run into the 2900s if the tenant keeps excersising their renewal options, although the ground rent never increases so I assume the landlord will be increasingly likely to find something to evict over during the intervening centuries.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

18 Dimmable LED 60W PAR Cans (6 in the living room, 8 in the kitchen, 4 in the Bedroom)
6 Non-Dim LED 60W PAR Cans for the hallway
9 Standard LED Bulbs for the bathrooms and basement

The dimmables aren't cheap.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Photex posted:

18 Dimmable LED 60W PAR Cans (6 in the living room, 8 in the kitchen, 4 in the Bedroom)
6 Non-Dim LED 60W PAR Cans for the hallway
9 Standard LED Bulbs for the bathrooms and basement

The dimmables aren't cheap.

look at this guy hallway lights doesn't exactly match the living room and kitchen

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

look at this guy hallway lights doesn't exactly match the living room and kitchen

EXCUSE ME SIR THEY ARE ALL 5000K DAYLIGHT (go ahead tell me how wrong I am for my love of real white lights)

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Photex posted:

EXCUSE ME SIR THEY ARE ALL 5000K DAYLIGHT (go ahead tell me how wrong I am for my love of real white lights)

I'm sure it provides the comfort of the shop rite milk aisle and the county jail, home is many things to many people

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bozart posted:

I'm sure it provides the comfort of the shop rite milk aisle and the county jail, home is many things to many people

working in live production I like my white balance to be even, so yeah it's a lot like jail.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You can't accurately gauge what will be more valuable to you in the future: your emergency fund or the lifetime savings of gutting your principal and consequently your interest. I'll go a LITTLE against the grain of the thread and say that if you put down 20%, budget intelligently, and then put 50% of your savings to mortgage principal and 50% into your emergency fund you can get exposure to both without correctly predicting the future. Once you top up your e-fund to an acceptable sum, you can focus entirely on the mortgage and get it paid down entirely. Then maybe like, look at FIRE!

When I bought I put everything into the deposit. Things were tight and the first month I had to temporarily borrow some extra money, of course some of my clients were slow paying that month so that made things worse. Some sort of cash buffer is needed when buying a house. Of course I had to spend $5k on furniture, whiteware and new TV. None of this cheap $600 moving into a new house.

Then 18 months later needing to spend $70k on a retaining wall because water really is the enemy. That's where high savings rate for FIRE stops you from being completely hosed.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Daylight bulbs are definitely the best bulbs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I prefer cool white (just 1000K warmer, and more readily available) but I agree that warm light should be for listening to vinyl records in lamp lit rooms only.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Bozart posted:

Lmfao

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bozart posted:

Why are nordic pure filters better?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why are nordic pure filters better?

They're pretty cheap and people like them

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
poo poo I keep forgetting to replace my filter. I'm sure I'm breathing in all sorts of gross crap since I moved in a few months ago. Time to go find out what filter I need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Drunk Tomato posted:

poo poo I keep forgetting to replace my filter. I'm sure I'm breathing in all sorts of gross crap since I moved in a few months ago. Time to go find out what filter I need!

I set up a calendar reminder with an email notification every three months, I'd never remember otherwise.