Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He's passionate about Riddick too, but he has to actually put effort into getting that together and financing it, whereas the F&F train is already rolling and budget is no issue at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm sure he could have had a bigger, more prominent role in the MCU if he wanted.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How big can you really stretch the line "I am groot"?
Speaking of that, did he voice baby groot? Was he sucking helium between takes or was it put through a modulator?

I even liked witch hunter, but since all his solo stuff hasnt done well lately he'll keep a death grip on F/F

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 17, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ravel posted:

I'm sure he could have had a bigger, more prominent role in the MCU if he wanted.

I can see why he wouldn't want that though. Why tie yourself down to a massive ensemble project where you'll have zero creative control or even control over practical things like scheduling, when you already have the exact same thing going for yourself where your the executive producer and have total control over almost all aspects of production?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Regarding the ending, I thought naming his son Brian was very predictable and I think it would have been much stronger if he named him Paul.

The reaction of everyone somberly acknowledging Brian was weird, too, because Brian is still alive in the F&F universe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drainpipe posted:

The reaction of everyone somberly acknowledging Brian was weird, too, because Brian is still alive in the F&F universe.

They miss their sweet hangs with him.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Lobok posted:

They miss their sweet hangs with him.

They could've invited him to the barbecue. That's not dangerous for a family man.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

drainpipe posted:

It's really not that weird: To the Family, Brian and Mia and Dom's nephew are as good as dead. It's unlikely they can have any contact with Dom and the crew. They're probably under some sort of witness protection or hidden away. Remember that the Family is now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization, an often unwilling asset of the Deep State (and it is unclear whom, if anyone, Mr. Nobody answers to) that has violated the national sovereignty of numerous global powers and probably wouldn't hesitate to kidnap them if they felt it necessary. Plus they have pissed off pretty much every major criminal organization in the world.

A more cynical reading is that Brian and Mia have outlived their usefulness as racers (and people, really) and now need to settle down to raise the patriarch's nephew. The Family, like the real life film production, revolves around the whims of Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and what you can do for him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dom is the Don

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KaptainKrunk posted:

It's really not that weird: To the Family, Brian and Mia and Dom's nephew are as good as dead. It's unlikely they can have any contact with Dom and the crew. They're probably under some sort of witness protection or hidden away. Remember that the Family is now the world's most dangerous terrorist organization, an often unwilling asset of the Deep State (and it is unclear whom, if anyone, Mr. Nobody answers to) that has violated the national sovereignty of numerous global powers and probably wouldn't hesitate to kidnap them if they felt it necessary. Plus they have pissed off pretty much every major criminal organization in the world.

A more cynical reading is that Brian and Mia have outlived their usefulness as racers (and people, really) and now need to settle down to raise the patriarch's nephew. The Family, like the real life film production, revolves around the whims of Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and what you can do for him.

Agreed. I mean this is basically the thematic underpinning of Elena's death, once she produced an heir she had outlived her usefulness except to die as an incitement for Dom's vengeance.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Agreed. I mean this is basically the thematic underpinning of Elena's death, once she produced an heir she had outlived her usefulness except to die as an incitement for Dom's vengeance.

After that scene between Letty and Dom in the beginning, you already know the second Elena appears on screen she's going to die to allow Letty to be Brian's mother.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hiddenriverninja posted:

After that scene between Letty and Dom in the beginning, you already know the second Elena appears on screen she's going to die to allow Letty to be Brian's mother.

I dunno, a guy who thinks family is that important might not be above polygamy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Boxofficemojo has the opening weekend actuals up: $98,786,705 domestic, $433,200,000 international for a total of $531,986,705. Even if they hadn't already said 9 & 10 were in the pipe, they certainly would be now.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Some people are having meltdowns that this movie did as well as it did. That it's a litmus test for society, and society done goofed. Meltdown might be hyperbolic but there are people not happy about the haul.

I've noticed the people having this reaction are the type to ding a movie for not being "realistic", talk about "cringing" when discussing the melodramatic aspects of the story, and I'm assuming had the lens through which they judge film shaped by YouTube personalities

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

It was funny how at the end of 6 it seemed like Dom was seriously considering bringing it up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I personally thought the movie was okay, nothing spectacular. Like an earlier poster said, there's a Paul Walker sized hole in the movie, and it shows.

Favorite things:

Theron as Cipher was great, especially the turn about her purpose being justice accountability for nation states. I kinda felt bad for her because she's seeking accountability on a level of power that is impossible to achieve.
Statham's plane rescue was awesome, though I wish I hadn't seen it in a trailer before.
Scott Eastwood thinking he knows what's up and then getting chumped every time.

Not so good things:

The Rock was the most Rock he's ever been in a film, and it just got exhausting for me.
The set pieces just weren't as exciting as anything in 5 or 7. I couldn't turn off my brain and kept on looking at the CGI.

The rest of the cast is serviceable, and Roman is Roman.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Rock was the most Rock he's ever been in a film, and it just got exhausting for me.

Yeah I did think it was a bit much the third time he said 'take that, libtards' directly into the camera.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm, thinking of taking my girlfriend to take FF8 but haven't seen any of them myself. Would this be a big problem? I know this series isn't Shakespeare and I don't mind big dumb action films - question is, is it entertaining enough on its own?

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 18, 2017

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
It's hard to say, but I jumped into FF6 blind and thought it was great, and this movie continues in the same vein. If you like big dumb action films give it a shot. There are references to past films but you don't need them to enjoy the over the top action pieces.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

henpod posted:

I'm, thinking of taking my girlfriend to take FF8 but haven't seen any of them myself. Would this be a big problem? I know this series isn't Shakespeare and I don't mind big dumb action films - question is, is it entertaining enough on its own?

this series, it's like star wars

i bet after disney is done with it they'll reboot the f&f franchise with cgi paul walker

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Some would argue that Scott Eastwood is a terrible looking CGI Paul Walker already.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Penpal posted:

Some people are having meltdowns that this movie did as well as it did. That it's a litmus test for society, and society done goofed. Meltdown might be hyperbolic but there are people not happy about the haul.

I've noticed the people having this reaction are the type to ding a movie for not being "realistic", talk about "cringing" when discussing the melodramatic aspects of the story, and I'm assuming had the lens through which they judge film shaped by YouTube personalities

The same thing happens when a new Transformers movie comes out. Their success is a sign that society is coming to an end and not a sign that peopl like it when stuff blows up real good. There's one of each coming out this year, so I'm going to have a good time reading meltdowns.

Mierenneuker posted:

Some would argue that Scott Eastwood is a terrible looking CGI Paul Walker already.

I've hated him ever since I saw a pic of him lighting a cigar with a zippo.

This movie was cool. It's not as well crafted as number 6, but that is the peak of the series in every way, and one of the best action movies of the last several years. There was plenty of insanity and cool set pieces though. The thousands of cars dropping out of the carpark was amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But Fast & Furious is good and Transformers is bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Echo Chamber posted:

But Fast & Furious is good and Transformers is bad.

Actually they're both good and cool.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Caaaarrrssss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k7anW4MptU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

henpod posted:

The more F&F films you watch, the less sense they make.

Also the Transformers franchise is a cynical, miserable mess. Often offensively so. F&F is dumb sludge, but it's generally good spirited and fun.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

Also the Transformers franchise is a cynical, miserable mess. Often offensively so. F&F is dumb sludge, but it's generally good spirited and fun.

That's fine by me. Transformers should be fun to watch whether or not you know about Optimus Prime and his buddies but it's just amazing how they keep coming out. They are exhausting and no matter how many explosions there are, it just feels empty. I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I'd say the opposite is true. The more F&F you see, the more you understand their genius and widespread (among non-whites and the lower class) appeal.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, for me most of the appeal is the worldbuilding and the characters, really. Going into FF8 not knowing about Family means that the whole emotional core is gone, and then you're just watching people you don't know driving cars really fast. Which could be plenty entertaining, I just know that for me, the context is what gives the scenes weight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The title of this thread more than covers that though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lobok posted:

You know, there was another famous historical figure that really put an emphasis on Family with a capital F

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You know, there was another famous historical figure that really put an emphasis on Family with a capital F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdANsVmsziM

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Man, I forgot how good Statham can be when he's On.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When does Cypher join the team? In 9 or do we have to wait until 10?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Never. Shaw was always shown to care about his brother. He is Dom when soneobe comes after his team.

It makes sense with the theme of family that Deckard. Who cares about his would eventually gain Dom's respect .

Cyphers whole thing is no emotions no family. She doesnt care about anyone or anything. That is the thematic opposite of Dom. While Shaw is thematically the exact same.

Also that would put 3 hackers/techs in the family and who the gently caress needs that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dexo posted:

Also that would put 3 hackers/techs in the family and who the gently caress needs that.

Well, jsut diversify so you have one healer, a dark wizard and white wizard.

I don't know how DnD works.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Dom essentially puts people who share his family values ahead of people actually in his supposed (non-blood) family.

By accepting the guy that executed a family member he's revealed himself to be completely full of poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Do you believe in the power of forgiveness?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who cares about Cypher joining the team? I want Helen Mirren to get behind the wheel first.

Also: The Atlantic has thoughts on where the franchise should go. I think it's funny that F&F has become like Bond, where the franchise gets long enough that there are ebbs and flows and calls to be less spectacular and go "back to basics".

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/04/why-the-fast-and-furious-needs-to-go-small-to-survive/523437/

quote:

It’s safe to say the 16-year-old Fast & Furious franchise is an unqualified success. Its eighth entry, The Fate of the Furious, opened to a healthy $98 million at the U.S. box office this weekend and seems poised to be a financial boon like its forebears. The next two sequels are already greenlit and, in general, the Vin Diesel-starring, car-centric series is a crown-jewel property for Universal Studios. But there are some signs of trouble ahead: Fate’s opening was about $50 million down from the previous film, Furious 7, and the reaction from critics was similarly less rapturous. The franchise is doing fine, but there’s at least some reason to worry.

The answer to seemingly every question in the Fast & Furious world, for years, has been: more. Bigger. Is the star of your franchise a bald, muscle-bound celebrity? Why not add another, as Fast Five did by casting Dwayne Johnson? Getting tired of all the car chases? Why not add in a tank, a plane, a military drone, or (Fate of the Furious’s contribution) a submarine? Did you like the villain of the last movie? Have them switch sides and become a hero in the next one, as Jason Statham’s character did this time.

Going by this formula, the ninth Fast & Furious (due in 2019) will see Fate’s bad guy Charlize Theron ally with Dominic Toretto (Diesel) and his band of merry folk. It’ll feature an action set-piece in space, or at least somehow involve a rocket ship, and it’ll add yet another bald action star (LL Cool J? Bruce Willis? Patrick Stewart? Samuel L. Jackson? Take your pick). Continually upping the ante, especially starting with Fast Five, is how Fast & Furious evolved from fairly niche territory (concerning the underground culture of street racing) to a globe-trotting series that feels like Ocean’s Eleven crossed with The Avengers. But: What if it bucked the trend? What if Fast 9 were to go smaller?

There’s an argument for the “back-to-basics” approach. In an era of franchise glut, where every summer week brings a new sequel eager to distinguish itself, it can be good to scale down. Logan, the umpteenth X-Men movie and third solo film for Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, has become his most successful yet, despite a more restrictive R-rating and a storyline that doesn’t involve the imminent end of all life on Earth. Logan arrived under the radar and took critics by surprise—their approval, while not essential to box-office success, certainly helped generate good word-of-mouth.

Part of the success of the Fast & Furious franchise has been the various ways it’s re-invented itself and the strange way its ever-growing universe always manages to maintain its internal logic. But Fate made the kind of short-sighted plotting decisions that went against that. (Spoilers for the film ahead.) Deckard Shaw (Statham) was the bad guy from the previous movie Furious 7, who murdered the core cast member Han (Sung Kang) and blew up a hospital. In Fate, he’s suddenly one of the good guys, accepted into Toretto’s “family” along with his brother Owen (Luke Evans), who was the villain of Fast & Furious 6.

Why? Because Statham’s a huge action star, and he can give the kind of blazingly funny, self-aware performance required for one of these movies, while also doing his own elaborate martial-arts stunts. He’s another shot of adrenaline for a movie that has coasted to billions of dollars by throwing more big names and recognizable faces into the mix every time. Theron played the villainous hacker Cipher in Fate, but at the end she escaped with her life; perhaps she’ll have a similar change of heart as Deckard for Fast 9. But what was once organic now feels entirely forced. Statham isn’t bad in the movie, but he doesn’t fit like the rest of the cobbled-together ensemble (including Johnson, Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson, and newer addition Nathalie Emmanuel) do.

I’m not asking for an indie film here; I just don’t need another superhero movie.
My suggestion: Take a risk, and get leaner. Throw a curveball to an audience that has willingly accepted every ridiculous plot twist; surely there’s no better sign of brand loyalty than 16 years of sustained success? The two keys to the Fast & Furious franchise are this: cars and family. The best sequence of Fate of the Furious has both—it’s the opening scene in Havana, where Dom and wife Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) race the local bigshot in a broken-down vintage car, to prove that it’s not the engine under the hood that matters, but the person behind the wheel.

Another car-centric caper, starring just the series’ core ensemble, and focused on smaller stunts and more emotional storytelling, is just what Fast 9 needs to surprise everyone—even if it doesn’t feature a submarine, or (as many are humorously pitching) a trip to the moon. Perhaps an Ocean’s Eleven-style jaunt in which the gang has to execute an elaborate heist. Or a race-against-time, high-stakes drama in which one of the group has been kidnapped and needs to be rescued. I’m not asking for an indie film here; I just don’t need another superhero movie. Marvel, DC, and others are churning out costumed heroes every month, but the Fast & Furious gang is basically indistinguishable from them, traveling around the world and using ludicrous technology like the “God’s Eye” (which allows them to hack any computer or phone on the planet).

The biggest reason to take my advice is the lower box-office total for Fate of the Furious. Furious 7 opened to $147 million in the U.S. and went on to gross $353 domestically and $1.52 billon worldwide. A confluence of factors, including the death of actor Paul Walker (who was memorialized in that film) and the longer wait time for its release, contributed to that take, but still, Fate’s $99 million opening is a notable step down. The reason that Universal Studios will probably ignore me, however, is the worldwide opening gross: A colossal $532 million in its first three days across the planet, bigger than any film before it.

Now, that discrepancy is partly because Furious 7 opened in China a week later than it did everywhere else. But the Fast & Furious brand is only growing stronger worldwide, even as U.S. audiences throttle back a little bit. As the studio thinking goes, worldwide audiences like big action sequences and big stars, not stripped-down movies that re-focus on core characters. It’s a reductive approach—Logan is doing just fine around the globe—but it’s the one that studios are increasingly going for. Perhaps Fast 9 will see Dominic Toretto drive to another galaxy. But you can’t top yourself forever.

Of course, when studio execs are looking at what to do with the franchise, keep in mind this is what they see as the franchise's record so far:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-fast-and-furious/

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

henpod posted:

I just saw F8 last night and I have not seen a single other F&F movie, except for a clip here and there. You'll be fine because it's a dumb action movie. You miss out on the motivation for a lot of characters because they do reference the older movies quite a bit, but it honestly doesn't matter. You go to see F&F movies to see cars go fast, and stuff blow up, not for the story.

• Locked thread