Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

god damnit, that episdoe was just massive blue balls ahhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So disappointing?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This episode was awesome. Even if we the audience already knew most of what Akko learned there were plenty of great character moments between her, Croix, and Chariot, and it was good to see a proper magic battle for the first time in the show. The backstory segment was just beautiful. Hopefully we're building towards a witches' duel at some point.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Goddamn Professor Ursula

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Ursula is Dumbledore and Croix is Grindelwald, correct?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

What a Kafkaesque newspaper article.

Meat Beat Agent fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
What a badass episode. I hope the plot and action keep this kind of pace all the way to the end (with a few breaks to fit in more Sucy screen time of course).

http://i.imgur.com/eDUMW5r.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/imkEtZR.gifv

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The animation in this episode was super uneven, with lots of still or reused shots of faces.

On the other hand, the animation in the action scenes and that one of the Grand Triskelion were incredible.

Excellent episode regardless!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I just. loving. Love. Those. References.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbh

i want

to marry ursula-sensei

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Knowing about the entire animation industry message makes me just see the words "magic" as "traditional animation" and "science" as CGI.

Finneran looking down on Chariot for making it seem like Animation is for kids. And Criox's stuff is blending the Animation and CGI.

In stuff related to the actual episode. Criox's magitek seems fine and useful, but she clearly has ulterior motives.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
What is the Grand Triskellion in animation industry terms?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

advokat posted:

Donald Trump making anime real, of course

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kind of weird that Sucy wasn't in this episode at all

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

so akko = studio trigger?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

so akko = studio trigger?
Young, bookdumb and naive yet brave and willful? Sounds about right.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How many more callbacks to that flying broom are we going to see before the series's end

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Croix would be about a decade younger than Sabrina, if she graduated in 2007.

I feel old.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I wonder what the allegory to GGXrd will look like

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Croix graduated from Luna Nova in 2007.

Oh.

Oh.

I'm so old.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Some of us in this thread is probably as old as or older than Croix and Chariot. I'm not, but I'm feeling old too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How many more callbacks to that flying broom are we going to see before the series's end

I'm guessing the good old Chekhov's Magical Flying Broom principle might come into play here.

Xelkelvos posted:

Some of us in this thread is probably as old as or older than Croix and Chariot. I'm not, but I'm feeling old too.

Class of 2003 checking in. :corsair:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm guessing the good old Chekhov's Magical Flying Broom principle might come into play here.
If it beans Croix in the head in the middle of her moment of triumph in the final episode I'm going to die.

advokat posted:

Trigger is secretly building a powerful EMP device in their basement.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

advokat posted:

Saving Anime

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

Well, I mean, if Luna Nova is middle school, then she'd have graduated high school in like 2010, which would make her like 24 or 25. That's young, but not crazy young or anything.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I mean, if Luna Nova is middle school, then she'd have graduated high school in like 2010, which would make her like 24 or 25. That's young, but not crazy young or anything.

That makes me as old as her.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DrSunshine posted:

Pretty young for an academic faculty position.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'm guessing it's like high school. The girls don't look so young.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

I think they said somewhere that Akko's somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen. Assuming Chariot's got a year on Croix (since they both won the relay race in different years), that would make Professor Ursula 29. Not particularly old, but not so young her being a teacher (especially the junior teacher the rest of the faculty dumps the poo poo jobs on) is at all odd.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

I think they said somewhere that Akko's somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen. Assuming Chariot's got a year on Croix (since they both won the relay race in different years), that would make Professor Ursula 29. Not particularly old, but not so young her being a teacher (especially the junior teacher the rest of the faculty dumps the poo poo jobs on) is at all odd.

Croix is a year older then Chariot it said.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If it tracks the English educational system it would be a 6th form college covering 16-18, but it's ambiguous and probably deliberately so given there's no age or year information on the show website that I've been able to find.

I've just assumed it works like a JP high school.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Croix is a year older then Chariot it said.

Ah, 27 then. My mistake.

Still. About the right ballpark.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Negrostrike posted:

Whaaaat, are you serious? Everyone's short and slim and a lot of them, like Lotte and Akko, don't seem to have quite lost that babyfat in the cheeks yet.

Akko has always looked, like, 11, maybe 12 to me.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

It's deffo a high school.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

MonsterEnvy posted:

Knowing about the entire animation industry message makes me just see the words "magic" as "traditional animation" and "science" as CGI.

Finneran looking down on Chariot for making it seem like Animation is for kids. And Criox's stuff is blending the Animation and CGI.

It's funny you mention this, considering this series was licensed by Netflix. The other anime they've licensed for this year are Cyborg 009: Call of Justice, the Godzilla anime movie, ID-0 and their original movie Blame!, and all of those are fully 3DCG.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
devilman crybaby will also probably be cgi :(

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Relin posted:

devilman crybaby will also probably be cgi :(

Science Saru with Masaaki Yuasa directing? It'll probably look like Ping Pong: The Animation. Their other anime production Perfect Bones is confirmed 2D.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just caught up with the thread, and I can't believe I didn't work out the magic=anime allegory even though I watched the most recent episode and noticed the mention of the "Nine Olde Witches" and reckoned it was a reference to the Nine Old Men (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Nine_Old_Men) who basically invented modern animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DrSunshine posted:

Whaaaat, are you serious? Everyone's short and slim and a lot of them, like Lotte and Akko, don't seem to have quite lost that babyfat in the cheeks yet.

Akko has always looked, like, 11, maybe 12 to me.

Trying to guess ages from character designs in anime is always kinda screwy. Then again if Gurren Lagann is a guide Akko is actually 7 years old or something silly.

• Locked thread