Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Hauki posted:

Well, got the starters locally for MSRP at least, can't build legal decks with just that though I gather and no sign of any boosters yet. Dude behind the counter said whatever they received in the next shipment was probably all allocated to preorders already anyway. I guess I can gently caress around and play the starters against each other with a friend for the indefinite future?

They were like $35-40 each when I looked there.

You could also pick up some cheap singles from CSI. They have quite a bit available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

You could also pick up some cheap singles from CSI. They have quite a bit available.

Yeah, maybe, not really sure what I want to play yet.

Also, did I completely misunderstand the hero/villain keyword and the color/spotting thing, or why does the Rey starter have a red villain f-11d blasted in it?

Edit: didn't actually read Finn yet, so yeah

Hauki fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 16, 2017

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Played 46 games of Destiny over the four days of Celebration, and I could happily play that many more. drat it is fun. ePoe/eMaz and eQui Gon/eRey (with SoR cards) were definitely the strongest decks for me. I was also surprised by how many people at Celebration brought decks!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've introduced like four people to this game using the starters and they all really like the resolution phase but invariably are put off by the setup phase where you spend months and months without any way to buy cards outside of singles resellers. I'm genuinely curious how you gently caress up a production/distribution model this hard in 2017. You go to FFGC and it's just lined with banners and posters and poo poo for the game with nary a product in sight other than two slightly bent Jabba the Hutt cards in the singles counter.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

I've introduced like four people to this game using the starters and they all really like the resolution phase but invariably are put off by the setup phase where you spend months and months without any way to buy cards outside of singles resellers. I'm genuinely curious how you gently caress up a production/distribution model this hard in 2017. You go to FFGC and it's just lined with banners and posters and poo poo for the game with nary a product in sight other than two slightly bent Jabba the Hutt cards in the singles counter.

My understanding is that FFG had absolutely no idea the game would be this popular. If FFG had produced enough product to meet the current demand, but it turns out the game was a flop, the company would have been in a dire financial situation.

All indications are that the next wave coming out on May 4th, and the reprint of Awakenings will be quite a bit larger than the first printings of Awakenings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm glad they were very conservative with their estimates. Last thing anyone needs is product sitting in shelves for months with no interest. I remember getting hyped for so many games and just seeing them flip over and over again. There's too many to list and even when then prequels were coming out, decipher tried releasing the young Jedi and CGI-based game which also flopped.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh, they should have known better, it's loving Star Wars. This is just a repeat of X-Wing product draughts, showing they don't learn from their mistakes. This issue benefits no one but resellers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just pointed out two games another company released at the height of prequel fever before people started hating them. :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was a completely different time for both Star Wars and hobby gaming. FFG certainly has experience and numbers to have done a much better job than they did, not to mention Asmodee backing now as well.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
They had very poor pre-order sales from distributors. When nobody seems to want to buy your product you don't decide to just mass produce it.

They didn't just go "eh, we don't know how this will do, let's not print enough." They had numbers to back it up.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

pbpancho posted:

Played 46 games of Destiny over the four days of Celebration, and I could happily play that many more. drat it is fun. ePoe/eMaz and eQui Gon/eRey (with SoR cards) were definitely the strongest decks for me. I was also surprised by how many people at Celebration brought decks!

I'm glad Qui/Rey is now strong, it was one of the first decks I crafted but doesn't seem viable with only Awakenings. I'm not happy that Poe is getting even stronger because he is already the top deck, and a little annoyed that you can pair eMaz with ePoe but not with eLuke.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm glad they were very conservative with their estimates.

Funny you should say that, because SWD was the single largest printing of a new product they've ever done. It also had the lowest amount of preorders they've ever had for a product. A sole store in the states bought more product than all of the UK combined. FFG was very worried at launch and then within a month almost all of the product was bought up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

They had very poor pre-order sales from distributors. When nobody seems to want to buy your product you don't decide to just mass produce it.

They didn't just go "eh, we don't know how this will do, let's not print enough." They had numbers to back it up.

Well yeah, no one preorders collectible game product before they even know if the game is good or not. That's pretty basic. They should have done a prerelease and released the starters a month before Awakenings and people would have been hyped for the game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Bottom Liner posted:

Well yeah, no one preorders collectible game product before they even know if the game is good or not. That's pretty basic. They should have done a prerelease and released the starters a month before Awakenings and people would have been hyped for the game.

They debuted the game at Gen Con in August and for whatever reason all of us retailers went "meh" except for a few who were smart enough to realize how huge it was going to be.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I was curious about it before it released, but there wasn't much info about how it played or whether it was actually a decent game. Then it released, got a little positive press and by then I couldn't find any to buy at a reasonable price anyway until this week, and now I'm already an expansion behind and still only have one of each starter :shrug:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Bottom Liner posted:

No one can meaningfully adjust print runs a month out, so this wouldn't have given them a better idea of what demand was in time for them to do anything about it.

The state of Destiny supply is super concerning and almost certainly hurting the game at this point, but one of the big problems with CCG printing is that it is a giant gamble. It's nearly impossible to print enough product if you do take off and people are buying 1d6 boxes each without risking outright death if it under-performs, if not for the company than certainly for the individual human giving the okay.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The only thing FFG is guilty of is not hyping the game enough before preorders closed. People say "It's Star Wars, they should have known!" but that doesn't mean anything to the average card gamer. It's not anime with a TV show attached, it's not grabbing their attention. There could have been demos and maybe even some sort of LCG style base set release with two additional starter sets before packs came out. It wasn't just that it was a card game that hampered its preorders, it was that it was a relatively unique and unproven style of game.

This is just my local circle, but no one wanted to try it because of the random factor of the dice, the fact that the dice were bright and colorful, and the only comparison being Dice Masters. We're not distributors or in charge of ordering product though, so maybe our preconceptions didn't mean that much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

loving :lol:

More timely amateur hour poo poo from FFG. MM not even bothering with preorders for SWD in the future because FFG can't deliver.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Anyone who continues to place orders with Miniatures Market after the fiasco from Awakenings deserves exactly what they get.

Or don't get, as the case may be.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Benthalus posted:

Anyone who continues to place orders with Miniatures Market after the fiasco from Awakenings deserves exactly what they get.

Or don't get, as the case may be.

While that may be true, if it turns out that everyone is getting their allocations cut by like 90%, that is going to be really bad.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
While there is absolutely some fault to be placed on FFG, particularly in the case of SoR since the hype train in full motion by the time they would have been pulling the trigger for production, I can say from having been on the publisher side of new product forecasting, that it's a loving disaster trying to accurately predict things in this industry.

True story: While with a previous employer, we had a new release coming out in mid-2015, which had previously been available only in the EU, but was highly regarded. We knew there would be high demand for it. After a full sales cycle of solicitation, awaiting pre-orders, and getting firm numbers back from our various distributors, our grand total of hard numbers was somewhere in the 2,000 units range. Using the limited info we had, we made a best educated guess, leaning on our knowledge of pre-orders against actual sales and general hype around the title, and printed 10k. This was several months before street date. By the time we were approaching release, probably 3 weeks or less away, distributors start MASSIVELY increasing their orders. The game is sold out on our end well before it hits shelves, with available stock being allocated across all our customers. We take this knowledge and immediately begin discussion on how we need to print again ASAP, but still have no pulse on what the actual demand is throughout the entire supply chain, so once again have to make an educated guess on how much to print. This repeats its self for about 6 months, until demand finally started to stabilize. A year after the game had released, at Origins 2016, we sold somewhere in the range of 20 copies of the game. Total. At a relatively large convention. And we had a huge inventory in our warehouses still. We kept going, kept going, kept going, and then demand was more-or-less fulfilled while we were still feeling like we were playing catch-up and finally ended up sitting on a lot of slow inventory, because once again, distribution was not able to accurately give us a pulse on actual consumer demand.

Again, I don't think FFG isn't due some blame for bad planning for SoR, but I completely get them playing things safer than sorry. Especially with a collectible game, which should it have bombed, is a LOT harder to offload to an e-tailer or other discounter than an average board game.

A friend and big hobby retailer based in NY has been running a series of industry-centric blogs recently, and one of the topics covered was games going out of stock. Some good info from some big names in the industry:

http://www.travisseverance.com/blog/out-of-stocks
http://www.travisseverance.com/blog/out-of-stock-distributor-perspective-mike-webb
http://www.travisseverance.com/blog/out-of-stock-publisher-perspective-justin-ziran

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

The publishers are basically saying in a very nice way: "Consumers are fickle, whiny, paranoid, and demanding of instant gratification."

Good reads and basically what I expected, thanks for the share.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:lol: loving FFG, I wonder if they have any idea how many people are close to quitting this game already

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The current theory for the small amount of product is that the first wave was shipped by plane to meet launch and that the other waves of product will be more than enough for everyone. I can believe it, though it is stupid to not push back the release instead.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Elblanco posted:

The current theory for the small amount of product is that the first wave was shipped by plane to meet launch and that the other waves of product will be more than enough for everyone. I can believe it, though it is stupid to not push back the release instead.

I think this is just confusion based on what they did for the prerelease and what they talked about at the GAMA panel. They had a small window where they could put some prerelease product on a plane and get it here in time for the prerelease, which is why the prerelease product was so heavily allocated.

So that theory is confusing the prerelease product with the first wave. I bet there is a ton of product out there, but because so many stores are now on the SWDestiny train, it's being dispersed over such a wide audience. That's why allocations are happening.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think this is just confusion based on what they did for the prerelease and what they talked about at the GAMA panel. They had a small window where they could put some prerelease product on a plane and get it here in time for the prerelease, which is why the prerelease product was so heavily allocated.

So that theory is confusing the prerelease product with the first wave. I bet there is a ton of product out there, but because so many stores are now on the SWDestiny train, it's being dispersed over such a wide audience. That's why allocations are happening.

yea, that makes sense. My lgs hasn't said anything about getting less product. They told us that they can cover all the preorders and then some.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Same. They are even getting 12 boxes from a super small distributor that they purchased no Awakenings from. I think people are just worried because MM is only getting 1000 boxes of the 9000 they wanted.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Would not be shocked if they tried to fill small shop orders first and give a percentage to the really big orders.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Even if that's the case, it seems like my primary store isn't getting enough to cover preorders, so I think it's gonna be a bigger deal than just MM not getting what they ordered.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
It's also worth noting that because of the "waves" they're releasing sets in, that the second wave is likely to be quite a bit larger than the first (release) wave for SoR, because it's pretty clear how badly they wanted to force the marketing to make the set available on "May the 4th", regardless of supply.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Devlan Mud posted:

Even if that's the case, it seems like my primary store isn't getting enough to cover preorders, so I think it's gonna be a bigger deal than just MM not getting what they ordered.

My LGS wouldn't take my preorder because they thought they couldn't cover what they'd already put down.

None of the online retailers that I see are taking any more either, and if any were I'm not sure how much I'd trust them to actually fulfill it at this point.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

It's also worth noting that because of the "waves" they're releasing sets in, that the second wave is likely to be quite a bit larger than the first (release) wave for SoR, because it's pretty clear how badly they wanted to force the marketing to make the set available on "May the 4th", regardless of supply.

I save up some money for every may 4th so yeah it's good they do that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ultiville posted:

No one can meaningfully adjust print runs a month out, so this wouldn't have given them a better idea of what demand was in time for them to do anything about it.

The state of Destiny supply is super concerning and almost certainly hurting the game at this point, but one of the big problems with CCG printing is that it is a giant gamble. It's nearly impossible to print enough product if you do take off and people are buying 1d6 boxes each without risking outright death if it under-performs, if not for the company than certainly for the individual human giving the okay.

It's absolutely hurting the game. I mean, my friends are happy to come over and play with my starters but it's hard to build enthusiasm for a game that they have literally no way to purchase.

bowmore posted:

:lol: loving FFG, I wonder if they have any idea how many people are close to quitting this game already

Can't quit what you can't start.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Just got into this, with a full Awakenings playset (x2 of everything) from eBay. Built eHan/eRey and eDooku/eKylo.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gaming box to keep decks/dice in, where the lid is like a felted dice tray? Preferably one that's not some artisinal-bespoke $1000 Kickstarter?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Battlefoam makes a good carrying case/deck box. It holds three complete decks with dice, a bunch of extra dice and a tray for tokens/misc bits. Look on their website if you are curious. It's like a messenger bag with a arm strap. I think it was about $40 from my local store, but something like $50+ from battlefoam.

Looks like now is a great time to pick up Awakenings sets. Looks like they are going for about $200 less than they were a few months ago.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Thanks! I have some Battlefoam stuff for X-Wing and Warhams, didn't even think to check them.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to get into a set, since the Fantasy Flight Star Wars LCG was a huge disappointment to me, and I need another collectible game like a hole in the head, but we picked up the starts now that they're back in stock and the game is just too good.

Hoping I can similarly skip boosters for Spirit of Rebellion and just get full sets, but Team Covenant's page seems to have never actually had them up for sale? Guess I'll be watching eBay again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Thanks! I have some Battlefoam stuff for X-Wing and Warhams, didn't even think to check them.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to get into a set, since the Fantasy Flight Star Wars LCG was a huge disappointment to me, and I need another collectible game like a hole in the head, but we picked up the starts now that they're back in stock and the game is just too good.

Hoping I can similarly skip boosters for Spirit of Rebellion and just get full sets, but Team Covenant's page seems to have never actually had them up for sale? Guess I'll be watching eBay again.

TC will likely have more up for the second wave of SoR. Join their notification list if interested.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Has anyone played with a Force Speed Rey list? Also, any ideas for an elite Palp deck yet?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone played with a Force Speed Rey list? Also, any ideas for an elite Palp deck yet?

Some locals were talking this week about playtesting some of the new decks on TTS recently. First reports back on Force Speed are that it'll be incredibly popular, but not unlike Sith Holocron, it's powerful but not without drawbacks; in SC's case, having to roll the 1/6 or work to get it focused; in FS's case, committing an upgrade slot to a non-offensive dice effect doesn't pay off quite as overtly, and the extra actions sometimes just aren't necessary. I think it'll ultimately spawn a new breed of blue deck that utilizes more Support dice, since it helps you afford the time of rolling them out without nearly the tempo loss you currently feel from the big dice-based Supports.

Haven't heard much about Palpatine yet, but I fully expect him to be popular as well, and just extremely vulnerable to the right control decks. I think that high-risk-high-reward style will ultimately leave him out of the top tier, but an absolute risk that tournament contenders will have to be cognizant of which, given the right circumstances, will be able to have some blow-out games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Played some Han/Rey vs Dooku/Kylo games last night and had a blast. I'm not using any of my red cards right now, and want to make Leia/Mon Mothma or something, but I'd need more Holdout Blasters. Are there playable, viable Crime Lord lists? Where you just generate a ton of funds and try to buy the deaths of your enemies? Cuz that sounds incredible.

I *supposedly* have 3 boxes of Spirit of Rebellion coming Monday. Fingers crossed they don't get a last minute delay or cancellation.