Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
as for kawakami, a thing to remember all the time is that japan has historically had lots of loopholes to get around the ban on prostitution. a big one is that as long as there's no penetration it doesn't count so I guess depending on how you personally define the term she may not in fact be a sex worker if she's just giving people really nice massages if you will. if nothing else it's a smart move because it lets the sort of people that make hentai either draw her as a super slut or as a technical virgin letting them sell x2 the amount of merchandise and keeping the economy going.

e: actually doesn't she mention that she works at a different agency from the one that's actually prostitution? I feel like she can still be blackmailed just by being a teacher that moonlights in a shady sounding job like that regardless of what she actually does. that's really just splitting hairs I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

It just seems like a weird thing to get in arms about, a joke that isn't really funny has lead to people saying that there are no positive representations of homosexuaity in media that aren't jokes and all kinds of other hyperbolic poo poo. I'd much rather people treat homosexuality as another thing they can make unfunny jokes about instead of othering it either by hatred or eggshell walking, both piss me off.
id much rather that too, but unfortunately we don't live in that society, so regardless of the authorial intent it's easy to see a joke that's unfunny in a specific way and take it as an actual attack, and i can't blame people who are gay or trans or w/e for being sensitive about that kind of thing considering the world we live in, so until such a utopian time comes i think it's okay to go 'that joke kind of sucks and you could rewrite it a bit to be, maybe not more funny, but less insulting or weird.'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

It just seems like a weird thing to get in arms about, a joke that isn't really funny has lead to people saying that there are no positive representations of homosexuaity in media that aren't jokes and all kinds of other hyperbolic poo poo. I'd much rather people treat homosexuality as another thing they can make unfunny jokes about instead of othering it either by hatred or eggshell walking, both piss me off.

I realize the hypocrisy in calling people out for overacting to things on the internet when I just posted tons of paragraphs doing basally the same thing tho so I'm gonna just abort this comment chain here and go back to talking about things that matter, like which jrpg character is the strongest in a fight.
No one is mad that the joke isn't funny, we're bothered by it because it deals in offensive, wrong and outdated ideas about gay people and that is the only broad brush the game paints with. Those two guys could talk about how much they like sucking dick and make jokes about that and at least that's something. As it stands, it's just mean and harmful.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I always took the maid thing as almost like a hostess club thing where you are paying an attractive woman to come over in a french maid to clean and toss around innuendo around for like an hour but nothing actually happens.

Like 5000 yen doesn't make sense if you are actually having sex with the women

She mentions "other" services, but then says that she'll have to save those for when you're older when she finds out you're a high school student. It heavily implies that she's a sex worker at least in her introduction, but I dunno if that gets subverted at any point because I've been way too busy taking baths and hanging out with a washed up politician to call her at night.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I always took the maid thing as almost like a hostess club thing where you are paying an attractive woman to come over in a french maid outfit to clean and toss around innuendo around for like an hour but nothing actually happens because that's not what this, there would not be flyers for this (or however Mishima found it) if there was sex involved

I pay this woman the Japanese equivalent of 45 dollars so she can do my laundry in an open air laundromat while wearing a stifling maid outfit, in the summer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I pay this woman the Japanese equivalent of 45 dollars so she can do my laundry in an open air laundromat while wearing a stifling maid outfit, in the summer.
hell, id do that if you paid me 45 dollars

edit: also, she mentions 'another' branch of the company she works for later on in her s. link that seems to just be straight-up prostitution, so my guess is that she's giving out handjeezies sometimes as it stands but hasn't done anything more than that. iunno if that's what they're going for tho.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

No one is mad that the joke isn't funny, we're bothered by it because it deals in offensive, wrong and outdated ideas about gay people and that is the only broad brush the game paints with.

i'll break my rule about not talking about this real quick to clarify that it's not so much "how dare you not find this funny" that I have issue with so much as the fact that a gag that happens with female characters all the time in these games (this weird older person wants to gently caress me and I'm not interested, oh no) is somehow way worse just because it's man on man.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Moltrey posted:

I always took the maid thing as almost like a hostess club thing where you are paying an attractive woman to come over in a french maid outfit to clean and toss around innuendo around for like an hour but nothing actually happens because that's not what this, there would not be flyers for this (or however Mishima found it) if there was sex involved

Well, those kinds of *services* are extra.

Edit: The fact that she compliments you for using a place that's not at all linked to you and has nothing worth cleaning suggests that what she does is not at all above-board.

anime was right posted:

it feels like every single adult social link is about them being blackmailed

That's like, Persona 5: The Game. Everybody's getting blackmailed in some way or another. In fact, it's the only reason you're allowed to enter the Third Palace, after all.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 17, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Moltrey posted:

e: kawakami was not ever a sex worker unless i completely missed something

The scene between rank 8 and 9 involves the blackmailers saying they'd reveal her "little stint as a sex worker," and Kawakami's reaction is basically "How did you know?" with no denial.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I think with Kanji i always read that he ends up liking Naoto regardless of her gender, which always made him seem bi/pansexual to me (and is what people usually use pan for, afaik), but I could be biased as someone who identifies as bi

darealkooky posted:

I realize the hypocrisy in calling people out for overacting to things on the internet when I just posted tons of paragraphs doing basally the same thing tho so I'm gonna just abort this comment chain here and go back to talking about things that matter, like which jrpg character is the strongest in a fight.

people don't like it because its the kind of thing that helps normalize bad attitudes/views on homosexuality so it's going to feel worse than just a bad gag
i don't want to make too many assumptions about you or your sexuality but it can also be a little hollow to hear someone who might not be particularly invested because its not something that ever effects them when theyre straight be like "well i wish we could make jokes about it without someone calling us out"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

i'll break my rule about not talking about this real quick to clarify that it's not so much "how dare you not find this funny" that I have issue with so much as the fact that a gag that happens with female characters all the time in these games (this weird older person wants to gently caress me and I'm not interested, oh no) is somehow way worse just because it's man on man.
if you can name a scene in any of these games where an older man drags off a younger girl for the purposes of sex and everyone's supposed to laugh, i'll send you one-hundred dollars. the kamoshida thing isn't a gag, it's a serious plot point that is traumatic for both ann and, uh, the other girl. suzui?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

I feel the Creepy Adult Male example is very much not treated as a gag, there's a whole boss around that, it's treated deadly serious. There are also good not creepy men in this game to stand in contrast that are prominent, like Sun Man and Sojiro, for the game to say "Not all adult ment want to gently caress underage girls, that'd be absurd. Homosexuality doesn't get that in Persona 5. It gets a one off line from your teacher that you can skip through on accident and one possible reading of Yusuke's character. It shows off it's negative opinion in a plot required scene and those characters come back. It's bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

hell, id do that if you paid me 45 dollars

edit: also, she mentions 'another' branch of the company she works for later on in her s. link that seems to just be straight-up prostitution, so my guess is that she's giving out handjeezies sometimes as it stands but hasn't done anything more than that. iunno if that's what they're going for tho.

That's how I read it too.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

darealkooky posted:

My phrasing was probably hyperbolic and that's on me but it is absolutely a thing that media representation is a powerful thing and LGBT folks don't have a lot of it. There's absolutely positive and good portrayals out there.

I also don't exactly want to be the "no fun allowed" guy saying you can't make jokes about things... but at the same time homosexuality is a thing people are still being targeted for hatred, abuse, and even being murdered for. People have the right to make jokes but it doesn't make them immune from being called out for doing it. It's just kind of a lovely thing to make people who are marginalized in society a punchline.

...But hell I've dragged out this political discussion far too long and I doubt we're getting anywhere. The game has far more awesome things about it that we could be talking about instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess you could say that there was kashiwagi in persona 4, but kashiwagi was also bad and weird.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

darealkooky posted:

as for kawakami, a thing to remember all the time is that japan has historically had lots of loopholes to get around the ban on prostitution. a big one is that as long as there's no penetration it doesn't count so I guess depending on how you personally define the term she may not in fact be a sex worker if she's just giving people really nice massages if you will. if nothing else it's a smart move because it lets the sort of people that make hentai either draw her as a super slut or as a technical virgin letting them sell x2 the amount of merchandise and keeping the economy going.

e: actually doesn't she mention that she works at a different agency from the one that's actually prostitution? I feel like she can still be blackmailed just by being a teacher that moonlights in a shady sounding job like that regardless of what she actually does. that's really just splitting hairs I suppose.

You should probably spoiler that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

The scene between rank 8 and 9 involves the blackmailers saying they'd reveal her "little stint as a sex worker," and Kawakami's reaction is basically "How did you know?" with no denial.
ah okay. I just got her to Rank 8 so I haven't seen that yet. ty!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'd rather go out to lunch with Mishima and not dunk on him than continue reading this unresolveable argument about LGBT representation in Persona 5.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it me or do Invigorate and the SP Adhesives not overlap? I have the 10 SP a turn accessory and when I equip an Invigorate persona my SP recovery number will be, like, 6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's a resolution to the argument: i should be able to be a girl and kiss haru

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Is it me or do Invigorate and the SP Adhesives not overlap? I have the 10 SP a turn accessory and when I equip an Invigorate persona my SP recovery number will be, like, 6.

They only overlap if they're different levels. So SP adhesive 3 and Invigorate 2 would stack and vice versa, but SP adhesive 3 and Invigorate 3 will not.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Post-Hawaii spoilers: shout out to everyone for being more concerned about Morgana than me. Nobody's going to tell me what to do now! I'm going to play Goemon until I pass out!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SettingSun posted:

I'd rather go out to lunch with Mishima and not dunk on him than continue reading this unresolveable argument about LGBT representation in Persona 5.
i've actually been quite surprised by the cordiality of this discussion

I should be able to date Goro tho, that boy thirsrty

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would rather never see Akechi ever again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would rather see him every morning as I wake up

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I would rather see him every morning as I wake up

*nods approvingly*

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

i guess you could say that there was kashiwagi in persona 4, but kashiwagi was also bad and weird.

Kashiwagi wasn't played off very well, but I'll give her credit in that she actually taught things. Heck, she doesn't even give up the creepy costumes unless you complete her quiz correctly.

Man, now I miss Funky Student.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My opinion of Akechi started at seeing his AOA cut-in portrait and thinking there was one more female party member than there actually was, and the disappointment just continued rolling downhill from there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

My opinion of Akechi started at seeing his AOA cut-in portrait and thinking there was one more female party member than there actually was, and the disappointment just continued rolling downhill from there.

i like his lil dance but thats about it

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Just finished the game. Following are opinions on it from end of seventh palace onward.

Holy poo poo this got all kinds of ludicrous and fantastic.

First off, that Shido boss fight was loving insane. I mean brilliantly stupid and great. Do those springs even do anything, is there anyone in real life who's worn such a thing for practical reasons. It feels doubtful.
Especially loved the design of his lion in the first part.
Seeing him melt down on TV was great.

From there it was on to the Mementos Prison, which was a neat idea I didn't enjoy too much because not enough safe rooms. Having the big bad initially represented by a Holy Grail seemed weird.

... then my favourite part, realising that the Velvet Room had been compromised. I had a feeling that something was up with Igor's voice, but had put it down to needing to change voice actor, but they completely fooled me.
Regardless, hijacking the Velvet Room like that was a bold turn for the story, since it's residents have always been such a reliable help in other games.
Owing to similarities in voice, I had been harbouring a theory that Caroline and Justine were actually Elisabeth, so it was disappointing that they merged into... some new girl I never saw before who didn't have much of a personality and didn't have any time to establish one.
Also, executing a pair of little kids by guillotine is loving grim, even if they're not really dying.

On to the final dungeon after that and it was a cool idea, and mercifully brief, even if there were no safe rooms along the way and I had to Goho back half way through.
Final boss was a cool design and fun to fight.
Loved how the Confidants were incorporated into the cheering at the end. Seeing that poll go to 100% was satisfying as hell, even if I wondered who the gently caress is voting on a website at a time like this.

... and then there's just like, an hour and a half of cutscenes between the final boss and the credits? Jesus Atlus. At that rate I thought I was going to have to play a whole other month and there's be another final boss...

... drat this gave was satisfying. I loved it from start to finish. 10 out of 10, two thumbs up, 5 stars.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

here's a resolution to the argument: i should be able to be a girl and kiss haru

Her thief outfit is the cutest thing ever and its unfair she's so under utilised.
She's a bit of a beast in a fight too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like Haru's design a lot. Pity about her English VA.

Also Haru autocorrects to Gary on my phone.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
wow, gently caress ryuji, and gently caress morgana

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Endorph posted:

As if you would be able to live up to the competition then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont remember them ever really addressing his attraction to her after the reveal. he has a kinda stumbling 'uh it's cool if you're a girl - not that I prefer you this way or nothin' - just, uh, ill shut up now' response when she joins up, but he's kinda talking more about her comfort and how he perceives her as useful to the team than wanting to taru her kaja.

There's a couple of scenes. Like him being too embarrassed to share an umbrella with her, and it comes up a couple of times in incidental dialogue if you're replaying old dungeons.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

darealkooky posted:

Kawakamis is not a full on prostitute, at least. In rank 8 when she's in the hospital and the other parents come to shake her down, she says she'll probably have to switch to the "sister" maid service, and "you can probably guess what services they offer"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saint Freak posted:

Good poo poo 👌

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Regarding Haru: Did anyone else think it was weird that throughout the game you hear about the black masked metaverse user whos been loving around. And then you meet Haru...Who wears a black mask, and LITERALLY NO ONE COMMENTS ON IT? That entire introductory plot thread was awful in general and relied on characters being extremely stubborn but I found it really odd that no one even mentioned it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Regarding Haru: Did anyone else think it was weird that throughout the game you hear about the black masked metaverse user whos been loving around. And then you meet Haru...Who wears a black mask, and LITERALLY NO ONE COMMENTS ON IT? That entire introductory plot thread was awful in general and relied on characters being extremely stubborn but I found it really odd that no one even mentioned it.
they literally comment on it when she shows up? ryuji's like 'a black mask...? wait, is she our girl?' but then she stumbles over herself and morgana has to lead her along and they're like 'oh, no, nvm.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Saint Freak posted:

:perfect: