Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

You can't recruit Personas above your own level except if you have one of the Confidant abilities.

i maxed beef bowl bernie sanders first and it was the best choice i made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

i maxed beef bowl bernie sanders first and it was the best choice i made

thats his canon name i will not accept any substitutes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mordiceius posted:

People need to post some mutha fukkin Persona gifs.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thank you guys my social rank with all of you has gone with one. No bonuses at rank 1 though i'm afraid. I'll make Neko Shogun my friend.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Just post all of Belphegor's animations

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

OneDeadman posted:

Just post all of Belphegor's animations

When I recruited Balphegor I looked at his background info and immediately laughed my rear end off. He's a governor of the sin of sloth. Dude is literally so lazy he can't be bothered to get off the toilet.

Honestly I can relate some days.

I kind of want to put in the effort to make a souped up Belphegor because the idea of someone's persona being a toilet man is amazing.

On that note I'm sad the giant foot demon from SMT4 didn't come back. That thing was similarly awesome for being goofy as poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bring Back Chemtrails

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

People need to post some mutha fukkin Persona gifs.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The last few pages of this thread have given me aids

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I like the English dub, because there's a lot of lovely cops in Persona 5, and "lovely cop" is easier to sell in English

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ending spoilers: I really liked they took a road trip at the end. Was a nice contrast to 4's. I forgot how bittersweet the ending to these games were. Spending the last playable section saying goodbye to all your friends and all.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lmao this owns

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Jimbot posted:

Ending spoilers: I really liked they took a road trip at the end. Was a nice contrast to 4's. I forgot how bittersweet the ending to these games were. Spending the last playable section saying goodbye to all your friends and all.

I still don't even really understand why he had to leave this time. In P4, your family was coming back to America, and you were going back to live with them.

In P5, you're going back to live with your family.

The family who kicked you out over bullshit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also endgame spoilers: I like that Igor's image of humanity's hope takes the form of a cat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

I still don't even really understand why he had to leave this time. In P4, your family was coming back to America, and you were going back to live with them.

what is he supposed to do, make the cops drag his rear end back home? he's a minor.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Except Yosuke always going "EWWWW GROSS GET AWAY FROM ME GAY BOY"

this is from pages ago so sorry but I wanted to address it: this was good characterization, not homophobic writing

yosuke is kind of a douchebag, several other characters are constantly annoyed by him (like chie and kanji), you have the option to call him out on being a jerk or tease him about his homophobia multiple times, and to an extent his story arc is about him developing a marginal awareness of how lovely he is

the game doesn't explicitly condone the way yosuke acts, and does explicitly treat him like a dense, arrogant, ignorant jerk many times

it's way better than this game's weird fawning gay cruisers, and it's strange because this game's yusuke absolutely read as gay to me and just making that slightly more explicit (or giving us the dreaded boy romance s link with him) would've gone a long way toward redeeming that issue

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

what is he supposed to do, make the cops drag his rear end back home? he's a minor.

And somehow this wasn't relevant during the game?

He was kicked out. He doesn't live there anymore.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My good bud Joker is going to head back home, say hi to his folks then immediately head back to Tokyo with his pals to take over Leblanc when Sojiro retires from retirement.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Supremezero posted:

I don't think you get how probation works.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Terper posted:

I don't think you get how probation works.

tbf the way it works in the game is extremely weird: probation means being sent to tokyo to live with a middle-aged single man who owns a coffee shop, chases skirt, and has no clue what you do at night?

that's like the opposite of how probation works irl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

No, he wasn't kicked out. He was sent to live with a family friend because shujin was the only school that would accept him. he was not kicked out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate that the ending lets you basically go "no seriously, I want to stay. Please let me stay. I want to live here." and it gets played off as "haha you big jokester. You know it's gonna be hard going back though right? You're probably going to be labeled." "Yes that's why I want to stay- let me stay" then get told naww and sent off anyway.

Like don't let me make that argument if you won't let it go anywhere game :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/xkxyoux/status/853955912016343040

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

No, he wasn't kicked out. He was sent to live with a family friend because shujin was the only school that would accept him. he was not kicked out.

Actually he was sent to live with the owner of a cafe that a family friend occasionally visits.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

wizard on a water slide posted:

this is from pages ago so sorry but I wanted to address it: this was good characterization, not homophobic writing

yosuke is kind of a douchebag, several other characters are constantly annoyed by him (like chie and kanji), you have the option to call him out on being a jerk or tease him about his homophobia multiple times, and to an extent his story arc is about him developing a marginal awareness of how lovely he is

the game doesn't explicitly condone the way yosuke acts, and does explicitly treat him like a dense, arrogant, ignorant jerk many times

it's way better than this game's weird fawning gay cruisers, and it's strange because this game's yusuke absolutely read as gay to me and just making that slightly more explicit (or giving us the dreaded boy romance s link with him) would've gone a long way toward redeeming that issue
I disagree with this because the game never really punishes Yosuke for what he says, aside from the physical comedy that happens to all the male characters. Yosuke doesn't learn a lesson, he doesn't have any kind of meaningful conversation with Kanji, he doesn't apologize, he just drops it. And the worst thing is that the game never lets you say anything to Yosuke about it. You just sit in the tent and watch as Yosuke goes "Boy am I really uncomfortable around you Kanji, because you're gay you see" and Kanji just gets his whole spot blown up. Atlus brought up the topic of teen sexuality and homophobia, but then never does anything with it or resolves it, it just stops

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
All this gets me wondering why MC's parents never try to contact him though. No letters, no visits, no care packages, no Christmas presents.

But then Yu Narukami's parents never talked to him either.

Guys I think parental neglect might be a prerequisite for having the Wild Card.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

geri_khan posted:

All this gets me wondering why MC's parents never try to contact him though. No letters, no visits, no care packages, no Christmas presents.

lovely Adults, man. The game keeps telling ya.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Palace 7 better be a hell of a climax. Scoping the place out now, and I can't help but think that there's a shitload left to do.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Palace 7 better be a hell of a climax. Scoping the place out now, and I can't help but think that there's a shitload left to do.

Palace 7 isn't the final dungeon ;)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering that in the girl tent Yukiko seemed to be considering suffocating the third member of her tent I took the whole thing as poorly done comedy. This is one of the places where the Anime actually improves upon what happened as with Yu being able to speak the whole scene turns into two guys messing with one of their friends.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Nifty.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

It is embarrassing how much this is my poo poo.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hm i hope whoever is responsible for the power intuition mini video game never works on an actual fighting game, because this is dog poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow I feel like utter poo poo for not pursuing romance with Haru

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Wow I feel like utter poo poo for not pursuing romance with Haru

you approach her at a very vulnerable time in her life it's prolly for the best

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

See, I'm going to defend that in 4 as a sheer moment of pure ludonarrative brilliance that elevates it as one of the most brilliant game endings of all time. They're all saying goodbye, and so are you. The journey is done. You've bonded with them, been to hell nad back, you've grown with them and they've grown with you, but now, its all over. You have to go. You can come back another time, but this will always be where your time together has to end. So the characters you've grown close to have to say their goodbyes to you, the player, as the credits roll and you sit back, off to a new place.

Its right up there with The Last Of Us as one of the single greatest game endings of all time simply because of how well it deconstructs the perfect way for an experience driven by relationships that need to end by the nature of the medium, can cease without it being a tragedy.

geri_khan posted:

Now all I want is a Persona-Disney crossover where Huey Dewey and Louie become protagonists.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Supremezero posted:

He has to leave and go back home because it is a videogame and you don't get endless content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Fulchrum posted:

See, I'm going to defend that in 4 as a sheer moment of pure ludonarrative brilliance that elevates it as one of the most brilliant game endings of all time. They're all saying goodbye, and so are you. The journey is done. You've bonded with them, been to hell nad back, you've grown with them and they've grown with you, but now, its all over. You have to go. You can come back another time, but this will always be where your time together has to end. So the characters you've grown close to have to say their goodbyes to you, the player, as the credits roll and you sit back, off to a new place.

Its right up there with The Last Of Us as one of the single greatest game endings of all time simply because of how well it deconstructs the perfect way for an experience driven by relationships that need to end by the nature of the medium, can cease without it being a tragedy.
Now all I want is a Persona-Disney crossover where Huey Dewey and Louie become protagonists.

... would that result in David Tennant in a Persona game?